PDA

View Full Version : Turkey advice

tundra
04-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Hello everyone,
I would like to say hello. I am new to this site and have been reading and checking everything out. I was hoping someone might be able to help me out my hunting partner and I are heading out to trail area this weekend to try our hands at turkey hunting. Something new to pass the time until the bears come out around here. The problem is neither of us have ever hunted turkeys before. I have never seen one other than the ones my partner filmed two weeks ago just outside of trail. I was hoping someone could point us in the right direction, do not require a honey hole but some where to start would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice.

doubled
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Start where they filmed the turkeys. There are turkeys all around Trail so probably anywhere near there would be good. We found most of them in grassy openings. Lots of poop there too indicating that they were feeding there quite a bit. You will need a call too. They have extremely good eyesight so you need to sit still and call them in. Good luck and bring a camera.

huntwriter
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi Tundra. I am from Merritt too. Contact me for information about turkey hunting. Other than that do what Doubled said. If the birds have not been pressured they probably still will be in the same area. Turkeys are territorial.

ScoobaSteve
05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
How did you make out? I am heading down to the Kootenays next weekend from Kamloops. Can you pass along any tips where to go? Where abouts around Trail are typical hunting roads? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.