PDA

View Full Version : hunting elk in ok park

Jamieboyless
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
just going to hunt elk this year in ok mountain park have seen them but wasn't in season last year. you may call me a new hunter cause i've only taking one deer in the last four years but its not from lack of chances its lack of the right deer but a six point elk that i have to pack out i won't think twice about pulling the trigger. I know i'm setting myself up for a world of hurt and i would love some feedback from more experienced hunters but don't tell me how hard its going to be thats why i'm doing it. (it needs to be a challage thats the point other wise buy some beef it's cheeper) lol

Jamieboyless
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I know to do my home work on shot placement and how to quater the elk but your info is always worth while.

nolan-sawka
04-19-2011, 06:06 PM
get good at calling

.300WSMImpact!
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
don't look just in the park, there are tons of places around, find a spot, spend a lot of time, and don't expect to get one, other than that calling is very important, and scouting

Jamieboyless
04-19-2011, 06:13 PM
dont know if i believe this but i was told that calling for elk in the park is not effective ? is this true? i'm still going to try and thanks for the advice

.300WSMImpact!
04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
dont know if i believe this but i was told that calling for elk in the park is not effective ? is this true? i'm still going to try and thanks for the advice

lol, not true

nolan-sawka
04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
hahahahaha dont listen to anything again from the person you herd that from, callings the only way to get one id say ...unless you get lucky

hunter1993ap
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
calling might not be that effective in a place like the park because of the amount of hunting preasure!!!
if your alone i would suggest not going in in september because of the distance in and the temperature can be scorching in september. its not worth killing something if you cant succesfully get out all the meat. and if your alone in september your risking the meat going bad.

troutseeker
04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
You can always go by boat, then it's only a few clicks hiking to the killing grounds! Guy from Kelowna took a big elk that way last year, kept telling everyone he killed that monster in the kootenay's but his wife sure set people straight, haha... And I'm going in too for elk and deer, might as well put in lot's of pressure so the outfitter is not hunting alone...:-D

.300WSMImpact!
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
again there is elk in other areas, all you have to do is find them, spend some time locate them, plus if you are not in the park you can get your quad to them,

mark
04-19-2011, 09:38 PM

lol, not true

He's right, your bound to get a response from another hunter! LOL

calling might not be that effective in a place like the park because of the amount of hunting preasure!!!
if your alone i would suggest not going in in september because of the distance in and the temperature can be scorching in september. its not worth killing something if you cant succesfully get out all the meat. and if your alone in september your risking the meat going bad.

A big X2..... You need a team of packers ready to go at a moments notice if yer to get one out before the heat spoils it!

Lots of rattlers in there also!

Toughest elk hunt in the province hands down!

If you've never deboned and packed out a large animal as an elk, you might want to consider other areas!

tundra
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Lots of pressure does not mean that you will leave empty handed just the lack of experience as I have found out. Practice calling and not just bugling, the cow call and variations of cow talk is what you need to master in a high pressure area. Start now, watch as many videos as possible on elk naturally talking then when you practice go somewhere where you think there might be elk and start calling. In the summer is a great time because if there is elk around they may come check it out. This is how I have learned to call and even found elk long before the season started. Once you find cows in the fall the bulls will not be far behind

hunter1947
04-20-2011, 02:07 AM
I have shot many elk way back away from any roads and I have found that you need a real good meat pack and you should de-bone the animal ,to de-bone an animal you have to get the meat off all the bones kind of like filleting a fish just jump in and do and you will learn.
You can ask on this site how to be-bone an animal or you can get a book on how to done out an animal ,take a small roll of 1/4 rope with you this helps big time ,good luck with your elk hunt this fall hope you get your animal.

dave_fras
04-20-2011, 07:07 AM
300wsm is right... theres lots of elk out there! not telling u that u shouldnt hunt there... but do your homework.. u will find the elk in lots of places! and mark was right about the calling!! in the past couple years ive heard 5 or 6 ppl calling elk!

.300WSMImpact!
04-20-2011, 07:14 AM
300wsm is right... theres lots of elk out there! not telling u that u shouldnt hunt there... but do your homework.. u will find the elk in lots of places! and mark was right about the calling!! in the past couple years ive heard 5 or 6 ppl calling elk!

I was hunting not in the park last year and a hunter called me in, sucked for both of us it was a long way in

Wrayzer
04-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Lots of elk in the areas away from the park, they don't hit the park boundary and turn around, check areas above and behind the park, less pressure. Like .300 said, lots of places you can get close enough to with a quad to help pack er out.

C.Groves
04-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Up HWY 33 I hear is really good. Maybe check out there sometime?

yamadirt 426
04-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Isnt this the park everyone was bitching about when it was mentioned last yr. LOL More people want you out of the park than in. This would make me want to go more than ever. Even if you don't get an animal it's not what I would consider wasted time. Good luck. Lots of deer in there so I've heard.

GoatGuy
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
There are certainly elk there.

Give it a try, let us know how it goes.

.300WSMImpact!
04-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I hunt in the park, and have for years, that is why I am saying its not all what you think it is. I hunt in the park only about 10% of my hunting time, trust me when I say it there is as good or better places to hunt elk in region 8, what makes the park good is the no motor vehicle restriction if you go into areas that you cant get a truck or quad into your going to get into great hunting, oh and I am yet to kill an animal in the park, after you do kill something it becomes a 24hr or more job to get out all the meat, be prepared!!

troutseeker
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Isnt this the park everyone was bitching about when it was mentioned last yr. LOL More people want you out of the park than in. This would make me want to go more than ever. Even if you don't get an animal it's not what I would consider wasted time. Good luck. Lots of deer in there so I've heard.

That's the one! Some heated exchanges on and off the board on this topic. The guide outfitter has a nice tin shack in there. I'll go put a geocache near it soon...

eastkoot
04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
A big X2..... You need a team of packers ready to go at a moments notice if yer to get one out before the heat spoils it!

Lots of rattlers in there also!

Toughest elk hunt in the province hands down!

If you've never deboned and packed out a large animal as an elk, you might want to consider other areas!

Ohhh hitting close to home isn't he???

Walksalot
04-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Realistically meat will not spoil in a few hours but in a day it can spoil big time if the conditions are right . If you have never hunted the park before my advice would be to hike up in the summer time and once you are up top fill your pack with 80-100 lbs of rocks and pack it out. Toes pushing against the fronts of your boots, knees taking a beating and your shoulders feel like they are going to fall off. Pack another animal out of the park or jab needles in my legs, the sad part of that is I have to think over which would be worse.
Even if you have people ready to help you pack it out by the time you get in touch with them and by the time they find your location they might be a while in arriving. You can give a grid reference but to hike a straight line in the park is next to impossible.

CanuckShooter
04-21-2011, 07:44 AM
just going to hunt elk this year in ok mountain park have seen them but wasn't in season last year. you may call me a new hunter cause i've only taking one deer in the last four years but its not from lack of chances its lack of the right deer but a six point elk that i have to pack out i won't think twice about pulling the trigger. I know i'm setting myself up for a world of hurt and i would love some feedback from more experienced hunters but don't tell me how hard its going to be thats why i'm doing it. (it needs to be a challage thats the point other wise buy some beef it's cheeper) lol

Why would you hunt in a park?? You may just as well go hunt in Jasper with all the half tame animals in the parks......and besides they say there are rattlers in there...

Deeboe
04-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Like most of the guys in here say--be prepared for a grunt. Also here's a couple key tips: Buy a good bugle and a couple different cow calls and practice lots. Buy a few different kinds of cow elk urine and also some bull urine. I'f i'm into a bull and i'm sitting i'll tie some paper towel onto some branches around me and spray the hell out of them. If hes holed up and won't come in---then move into him. Most bulls have a 'safety' zone and if you get into it their instinct forces them to come out and fight (assuming you know how to call and don't give away your real scent).
Also if you are a first time elk hunter, this may sound silly but pick up an elk hunting mag or go online and study what 6-point antlers look like. You may only have a few seconds to decide if he's legal so its important to be able to tell fast without second guessing yourself. All you seasoned elk hunters with know what i'm talking about... lol
Finally make sure you are in great shape! Good Luck!

hunter1993ap
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Why would you hunt in a park?? You may just as well go hunt in Jasper with all the half tame animals in the parks......and besides they say there are rattlers in there...

this is not a national park it is a provincial park!! the animals are not tame at all!! plus it is legal to hunt in this park and not in jasper.

Junorr500
04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know who the guide is that hunts the park from the water or if he posts on this forum? A couple years ago my hunting group encountered him in there, unknowingly ruining a guided hunt he was on. I beleive he had a few choice words to say about it. Cant blame him but it is a open acccess area.

X2 the hard pack out. Ive done it several times and its a killer. Unfortunatly lost some meat in there as well. Learned my lesson about being prepared and having enouph guys with you to get the meat out. But what a beautiful area and there are ive never been there without at least seeing some game.

Junorr500
04-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Apperently i circled around and above him and spooked a group of mulies he was watching with a client from a ridge below. I had no idea he was in the area as i came in from a different spot. The others in my group had stumbled upon him by chance about the same time.

X2 on the rattlesnakes. ive just about stepped on several. Not for just anyone that area, hard hunt in rouph unforgiving terrain.

troutseeker
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Bah, you did not ruin his hunt, you just gave him an opportunity to meet some outdoorsmen! If he did not relish that opportunity, then he should go hunt in more secluded areas. This park is within easy reach of a population of over 150,000 people. He must expect a few of those will be hunting in there...

hunter1993ap
04-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Bah, you did not ruin his hunt, you just gave him an opportunity to meet some outdoorsmen! If he did not relish that opportunity, then he should go hunt in more secluded areas. This park is within easy reach of a population of over 150,000 people. He must expect a few of those will be hunting in there...

Ya agreed!!!

Gateholio
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
This is the outfitters GOABC page. His name is Marc Hubbard.

http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/98/okanagan-outfitters.aspx

Walking Buffalo
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Apperently i circled around and above him and spooked a group of mulies he was watching with a client from a ridge below. I had no idea he was in the area as i came in from a different spot. The others in my group had stumbled upon him by chance about the same time.

X2 on the rattlesnakes. ive just about stepped on several. Not for just anyone that area, hard hunt in rouph unforgiving terrain.

lol... Marc had no problem introducing himself when I was waiting on a bull in the park. ;)

Jamieboyless
04-23-2011, 03:30 PM
thanks for all the info guys i am going up as soon as the snow melts of and i will load my pack full when i leave with over a hundred pounds of gear (might stash some for removal of game later) and no i will not leave it in the park! i will not be hunting alone i have two pack horse (buddies) that are down for a good hike. i do like the idea of bring in it down to the lake (as i have a good boat) and i will hike down the hill with a full load to make sure i can do it ( but i'm no small guy and am still in good shape) i would like to hunt the park because of the challange and in no way would i kill an elk if i couldn't get it out (i would never forgive myself). last year i passed on two good bucks so i'm not going to shoot then think later
thanks again for talking about a touchy subject.

frase
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I have not seen an elk in hunting season in the okanagan in my lifetime and you are telling me there are elk in the park. Thanks for the tip but I have no desire too haul an elk out of there. I wish you nothing but luck but I also here there is a herd up little white.

GoatGuy
04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I have not seen an elk in hunting season in the okanagan in my lifetime and you are telling me there are elk in the park. Thanks for the tip but I have no desire too haul an elk out of there. I wish you nothing but luck but I also here there is a herd up little white.

There's elk pretty much everywhere west of the big lake in the ok nowadays. All the way up to Cherryville, even up on the plateau towards Aberdeen all the way down to the border. The trick is there aren't a pile of them like there are in the EK or in the Peace so if a person wants to hunt them they're probably gonna have to work for it.

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 02:07 PM
where is ok park- curious!!

150fighter
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
where is ok park- curious!!

Hike and you will find out for youself!

Gateholio
04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/okana_mt/

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 06:32 PM
c'mon 150!!
jus tryin' to get my bearings . so that i can picture an area as i read the posts- when i dont know an area-i like to google map it and get a mental picture- helps me understand the posts better- i am not a couch potatoe, or a vicarious hunter- just curious.
but if you cant give me a straight answer thats cool.
i am from south africa, i have immigrated here recently, and love it here- (save for the few clowns!!), and dont quite know all the acronyms, abreviations and slang terminolgy.
But i am happy!
thanks gatehouse for the answer.

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
dan youre the man( 150fighter)
thanks for the pm.
all's cool.
please forgive my reactionary answer.
take care
wayne

Lillypuff
04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I cant believe that you posted online an area where you have seen elk in the okanagan. That is great of you. If I shoot one there I will post here for all to see and I will send you a couple of steaks or roasts your preference

urbanhermit
04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Don't go near the park, stay away from the park, don't think about the park. there is nothing there for you. Even when you are driving along hwy 97 don't even look across the lake at the park, look out the opposite window.
hope this advice helps.. :)

urbanhermit
04-24-2011, 08:41 PM
......you better not be thinkin about the park again..........................

troutseeker
04-24-2011, 09:44 PM
That's it then! I'm heading for the park! now before I start hiking, where should I park????

urbanhermit
04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
That's it then! I'm heading for the park! now before I start hiking, where should I park????

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh, now you got him thinkin about the park again..

GoatGuy
04-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I cant believe that you posted online an area where you have seen elk in the okanagan. That is great of you. If I shoot one there I will post here for all to see and I will send you a couple of steaks or roasts your preference

Don't forget the budweiser. I will buy you some duct tape to improve the snoopy tent.

Jamieboyless
04-26-2011, 07:55 AM

no problem if you have been that out of the loop and don't know how big the park is or that its an all day trip just to find them if you can then i would love a good roast thanks

Jamie

Gateholio
04-26-2011, 08:04 AM
A friend of mine is a pretty new hunter, been hunting for only a few years. He went to the OK and shot an elk on day 2 of his trip. I guess they are where you find them! :)