PDA

View Full Version : Kluachesi Lake trail head

ribber
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
A friend of mine wants to trail in to Kluachesi Lake, and hunt there, Does any body know where the trial head is on the Alaska Highway? :confused:

jml11
04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Horse or on foot? This requires crossing the Muskwa River and the outfitters and packers come in from the buckinhorse/nevis creek valley, takes them 10 days to 2 weeks I believe. I've never heard of anyone coming in straight shot from highway, too much muskeg I believe.

All residents fly in and the Park Rangers access via jet boat on the Muskwa.

bruin
04-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I trailed in to Kluachesi about 8 years ago on the Nevis Cr trail. Took 4 or 5 days IIRC. We trailed out along the Muskwa and crossed the Prophet. I'll have to check a map and see if I can find the Road we came out on. The out trail was pretty dry actually but IIRC it was a bit tougher to follow. Keep in mind this was several years ago. I'll get back to you on the road.

jml11
04-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I trailed in to Kluachesi about 8 years ago on the Nevis Cr trail. Took 4 or 5 days IIRC. We trailed out along the Muskwa and crossed the Prophet. I'll have to check a map and see if I can find the Road we came out on. The out trail was pretty dry actually but IIRC it was a bit tougher to follow. Keep in mind this was several years ago. I'll get back to you on the road.

Now that I think about, the guy I spoke said it took 9 days to trail in from the Nevis Valley. Took a quick look at google earth and tracked the trail, looks to be about 120-125km's give or take for elevation gains and turns, so you could probably do it in 4-5 days presuming you had no issues along the way.

Good to hear that you did head out a different way. Was this later in the fall? Just curious if that makes a difference on the 'wetness' over mid july when the outfitters are generally trailing in.

hellojello74
04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Where does the Nevis creek valley take off from the atv trail? I assume this trail is used to avoid high water.

Which outfitters use this trail? There are lots of trails in that country that may be blazed coming out but not in...

Just trying to visualize where the trail runs.

Doesn't big nine come in from Herb and Judy's?

What way does olmstead trail in?

Those should be maintained trails.

Has bridger headed in that way recently?

jml11
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Where does the Nevis creek valley take off from the atv trail? I assume this trail is used to avoid high water.

Which outfitters use this trail? There are lots of trails in that country that may be blazed coming out but not in...

Just trying to visualize where the trail runs.

Doesn't big nine come in from Herb and Judy's?

What way does olmstead trail in?

Those should be maintained trails.

Has bridger headed in that way recently?

The ATV trail to Redfern Lake is the main trail through the Nevis valley and crosses over the Besa river downstream of the ATV bridge (not sure exactly where the trail splits...been too many years). It then carries on down the Besa river through the outfitters camp at Keily Creek. Continue north to Richards Creek and so on. I've never been farther north than Richards Creek on the trail.

Basically all of the outfitters between Nevis and the Muskwa use the trail, including Olmsted. I am not sure if Barry uses the trail or not. He has a ranch on the Gatho and I think he winters horses there so he doesn't really trail in as far as I know but don't quote me on that.

Wild Images
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM
We ran horses into the Gathto with Robert Yorke, took off from the corral / rodeo grounds at Trutch.
Went up to the Prophet, over Kravec cr crossed the Muskwa above Olmsteads ranch then over the top
past Kluachesi and down into the Gathto.
Pulled in on the fourth evening ( with bow legs and a sore butt )

Hope this helps

AirPlaneGuy
04-20-2011, 01:55 PM
ribber started this thread for me and I have since Joined your group.I haved traveled these trails to the point where I could look down on the Muskwa. Did not care for the 40 KM of ATV Road. We would turn off at 25 KM ( Nevis Creek Ranch) and go High Pass, Loue's Farm, Townsley, Duffield, Richards, Prophet, Muskwa. Or 30 KM ,Browns, keily, Richards,Prophet, Muskwa. Looking for a Shorter way , as we will be going in light. We will be flying in the rest of the Gear. Just Looking for some one that has Done this Trail Recently. My Aircraft Map shows the actual Trail in the Mountains but does not show were to start at on the Alaska High Way. Just Looking to save myself some time Scouting it out. I have since found a U Tube video from Gunnman saying they sarted at the Trutch Corrals.Problem with this is he went up the Prophet to the Besa then over a High Pass to Bat Creek. My map shows a trail going a more Dirrect Route. Does any one Know were at Trutch the Corrals are ?. And maybe the best way to Navigate through the Muskeg section. Or have Traveled the more Dirrect Route , Shown on my Map ?

jml11
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
ribber started this thread for me and I have since Joined your group.I haved traveled these trails to the point where I could look down on the Muskwa. Did not care for the 40 KM of ATV Road. We would turn off at 25 KM ( Nevis Creek Ranch) and go High Pass, Loue's Farm, Townsley, Duffield, Richards, Prophet, Muskwa. Or 30 KM ,Browns, keily, Richards,Prophet, Muskwa.

I don't know anything about the Trutch Corrals, but I would be curious to hear about your travels north from the Nevis Creek Ranch. I did this route back in 2003 but only went as far as Lou's Farm. I also road into Townsley from Duffield (accessed from Keily). Found these trails to be rough going at the time (June/July) with lots of deep muddy trails (at least on the south side of the Besa), probably one of less enjoyable packs I've ever done..The Duffield Townsley route was ok for mud but is steep with lots of side hilling. I imagine the entire trail would be quite the adventure!

AirPlaneGuy
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks
Do you have the Lat and Long for Olmsteads Ranch, so I can Locate it on the Map ?

AirPlaneGuy
04-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't know anything about the Trutch Corrals, but I would be curious to hear about your travels north from the Nevis Creek Ranch. I did this route back in 2003 but only went as far as Lou's Farm. I also road into Townsley from Duffield (accessed from Keily). Found these trails to be rough going at the time (June/July) with lots of deep muddy trails (at least on the south side of the Besa), probably one of less enjoyable packs I've ever done..The Duffield Townsley route was ok for mud but is steep with lots of side hilling. I imagine the entire trail would be quite the adventure!

So you Went Nevis Creek Ranch, 40 Km ( porcupine pass ) ,Keily Creek, Down Besa and up Duffield Pass then up and over to Townsley ? which way did you come back.

AirPlaneGuy
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Best Route North from Nevis Creek Ranch in my opinion( too Long ) is Browns Pass, Up the Besa To Keily Creek go thru the Guide Outfitters camp up Keily not to far , Get on the Bordeau Trail go up and over to Richards ( just go straight off the end of the Hog Back ) Quickest way . Go off the north end of Richards Air strip and follow the trail to the prophet , go left a little when you get there and cross the river and pick up the trail on the other side , on to the Muskwa.

Gateholio
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Trutch corrals are a little north of the restaurant at Buckinghorse. Drive north for about 15-20 min IIRC. Turn left. :)

hellojello74
04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I am working on a trip through there possibly in june for fun I ll post up our suggested route as we are still finalizing some details.

whitetailsheds
04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Trutch corrals = Minaker? Correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I was up the Prophet.

jml11
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
So you Went Nevis Creek Ranch, 40 Km ( porcupine pass ) ,Keily Creek, Down Besa and up Duffield Pass then up and over to Townsley ? which way did you come back.

Same way...We were working up there and were based out of the Outfitters Camp at Keily. The Nevis Creek Ranch and a wall tent camp on Duffield Creek were our semi-base camps...we spiked out from them. Got moved around by heli and supercub a lot too.

Horse Packer
12-29-2012, 08:13 PM
If you arestill looking for the trails to Kluachesi Lake I can help, as Ipacked there for over 15 years. I can go to Google earth and get the trail headco-ordnances for you, plus some information for the trails.
A friend of mine wants to trail in to Kluachesi Lake, and hunt there, Does any body know where the trial head is on the Alaska Highway? :confused:

bridger
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Pm me if you like know the trail well three ways to get there

Horse Packer
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
If you are interested I can give you the Lat and Long of all the trail heads to Kluachesi lake and from there to the upper Gatho as I have made the trip 15 times. It takes 4 days to the lake and 1 day to the sheep in the upper Gatho. Getting old so dont mind helping hunter out,

just hunt
01-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Horse packer do you still pack in the area or ....

Buck
03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Some interesting reading http://horse-packing.blogspot.ca/

sizedoes matter
03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
can you fly into Kluachesi Lake?

just hunt
03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
yup can be a very busy place thou

walks with deer
04-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Hasn't slyfox has been in there on horses numerous times.

Wasn't there some talk of 1/2 curl ram season as long as you ride in?

vip_ruger
04-13-2016, 12:06 AM
Great thread would like to hear more

tko
04-13-2016, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=vip_ruger;1770986]Great thread would like to hear more[f G besr /QUOTE]

was in there last year, place was super crowded ,boats and planes on the lake everyday. and lots of Gbear scat. only ran saw 2 the whole time tho.

when i was there was 3 big camps then a few smaller, bit of a zoo. almost felt like cultus lake at times lol
anyways beautiful country but i wont be going back, theres lots of better lakes with less people.
we did fly in and imo for that kind of money not worth it.

if all u want is cow elk then u should be fine, but its def not what it used to be.

walks with deer
04-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Slyfox knows a guy that will take you in deep for cheapcheap.

JAGRMEISTER
04-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Nevis trail splits just past 10 mi camp, +/- 10miles W. from main camp on Nevis.

hellojello74
04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Got some Google map coordinates? Maybe a few waypoints thanks.