PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Cougar today...

One Shot
04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
We were driving back from Maple Ridge on Golden Ears Way just before the hill when the wife said look there is an animal just like Hanny, her son's dog that was with us but it has a bigger tail and pointed ears. We both looked again and it was a Cougar passing through an open area there. It was neat to see it during the day there.

Just wondering who is going to be missing a pet come morning.

I've only been in Surrey a year, are cougars common in the area?

BCBear
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
my buddy killed one last year in Maple ridge. So they are there from time to time.

timberhunter
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Saw lots of them in the Walmart in Williams lake today. :)

Big Lew
04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, there always have been a healthy population of cougars and bobcats on the local mountains from Pitt Lake east, and including Thornhill and Sumas Mt. Have seen a few lynx as well.

sparkes3
04-17-2011, 09:02 PM
release the hounds

Steeleco
04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Which hill One shot? I use that road almost daily and can't think of any hills?? I've lived in Walnut Grove 11 years and only ever heard of a few bears, never a cougar??

One Shot
04-18-2011, 01:04 AM
The one before 176th just west after the S&R cedar mills.

Steeleco
04-18-2011, 09:05 AM
No shit!! I've seen bear scat in Tynehead park just the other side of 176 in the dog area, but never anything cat!!

takla1
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
i grew up in south surrey in the 60's and there was one around our area for a yr or two,they figured it made its way down from mount baker,more recently we had one in our yd {2 acre property }here in Mission around '2002 and there have been a few sightings and one lady attacked up near the ruskin dam not far away.Game warden told me one time to watch our kids when there playing outside near dusk and educate them on what to do if confronted.Weve all walked into bears here in mission, but never had a bad encounter.

One Shot
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
No shit!! I've seen bear scat in Tynehead park just the other side of 176 in the dog area, but never anything cat!!

You're right didn't see any shit just a big cat....

LOC
04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Seen bear in Lanlgey a few times but never cat. Dad saw one back a few years back in NewWest down by where RCH is; figured it must have followed the river bank.

Closest to town I've seen cougars is Harrison Lake (1 ran across the road at night at ~10mile while driving up) and Flora Lake (walked across a rock scree above us when we stopped for some water - that was very cool and a bit scary..).