PDA

View Full Version : Getting old....?????

Sitkaspruce
04-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Our 13 yo Chessie has developed a problem of pooping in the house. She has no problem going outside to pee, but then she will stand on the deck wanting back in, even up to 30 min, then when let in, she will walk into the kitchen and start to squat to poop.......back out she goes, sometimes she makes it and sometime she does not.....

She will come and wake up up to go outside to pee, but if she wants to poop, she will sometimes let us know and other time she will not.....

It is now happening in the back of the truck, she will pee before, but no matter how much I try to get her to poop, she will not, yet as soon as I put her in the back of the truck...she does her business.

She is healthy as a 13 yo can be, eats and does her physical activities as much as she can. She is going in to see her favorite person next week (Vet) for annual check up and I will ask him as well, but thought I would put this out to all the dog owners to see if there is any suggestions.

We do have another dog, a 4 yo Lab that has been with us since she was 6 weeks old, so I do not believe it is a territorial thing.

Sasquatch
04-17-2011, 09:54 AM
I had a similiar experience with an older dog years ago. Took her to the vet and he said there was nothing causing it physically and it was likely a form of dementia setting in.
I would have her checked out to be sure. Hope it works out well for you and your pet.

gmcgilli66
04-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I had a similiar experience with an older dog years ago. Took her to the vet and he said there was nothing causing it physically and it was likely a form of demention setting in.
I would have her checked out to be sure. Hope it works out well for you and your pet.

Sadly, I'll second the dementia idea.
I hope your vet can offer a solution.

troutseeker
05-08-2011, 06:44 PM
yes, dementia sounds about right. We put down our old dog last year because of it. First started with pooping and peeing in the house, then he became agressive and even hed troubles with keeping food down. At a certain age the systems start shutting down... He was 18 years old, good long life he had!

You're going to have to monitor your dog and see how he does, if he appears in pain as ours was, there is only one humane choice...

tim3500
05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
We have a 16 year old Lab and she cant hold #2 or doesnt want to out side even though she has just went for a piss out side and she has been diagnosed dementia . Its sad to see it in humans equally as sad in a family dog when its dehabilitating to the dog then its time we have had the conversation with the family already so it will not be a surprise but going to be one bad day !

waistdeep
05-08-2011, 07:24 PM
my chessie did the same thing at the age of 11, then about 6 mths or so later he just began shutting down, won't even jump off the dock into the water any more , just stood and whined. For a chessie that is totally unheard of, i put hime down :(

Sitkaspruce
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone

She was into the vet last week and they think she might have a slight bit of dementia, but they think it is being caused by her kidneys and liver shutting down.

She has gone from 95 lbs to 60 in two years and that is a sign of things shutting down.

She is still active, eats like a horse and.....knock on wood, has not done the #2 since I posted this.....Hmmmm maybe she can read......

Will keep an eye on her, but as long as she is happy and still likes to go on walks and such, she will remain in the family.

Cheers

SS