PDA

View Full Version : Leupold GR 12-40x60mm spotter

todbartell
04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I need a spotter, currently have nothing........never really owned one worth mentioning.

Looking at something decent, but not in the Swarovski/Leica/Zeiss territory

Two main ones I'm looking at are the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60mm and the Bushnell Elite 15-45x60mm

leaning towards the Leupold, even though it's more $

thoughts? I'll be using it for hunting as well as spotting at the range for longer range shooting

also - tripods? light and stable but not something worth more than the glass :-D

thanks

KB90
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I had the bushnelle elite. It was a good scope, not quite as clear on the 45 end.

Just sold it, sad to see it go, I would have kept it for regular use like the range, keep in the truck for hunting around home etc...If I didn't need to fundraise for some top quality glass for sheep hunting.

Krico
04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Dude don't cheap out on your spotter. Riflescopes are just aiming devices, and I'm sure you have some pretty nice (expensive) riflescopes. Your spotter will get used to identify game, determine legality and estimate size/score. Cheap glass at high power= shitty view. You must get some pretty sweet pro deals so go Leupold at a minimum. They are nice.

That being said, lots of guys out there using the Elites and getting it done. I know a few...They are decent, but at high power not too useful.

Tripods-Slik, Velbon, Manfrotto. Lots of guys like the superlight $30 London Drugs specials, but they are wobbly and hard to deal with. You can get a quality tripod for a little over $100. You wouldn't mount up a VX3 in $15 Chinese rings and mounts.

todbartell
04-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Tripods-Slik, Velbon, Manfrotto. Lots of guys like the superlight $30 London Drugs specials, but they are wobbly and hard to deal with. You can get a quality tripod for a little over $100. You wouldn't mount up a VX3 in $15 Chinese rings and mounts.

nope sure wouldn't. I just don't need a $600 gold plated tripod :D I've heard good things about Manfrotto, and it's fun to say :D

Buck
04-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I would buy slightly used.You will save big on a better quality scope than something brand new.Camofire had the Vortex Skyline on for half price the other day.Email Kendall see if he has any left.

todbartell
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
$400 for that Skyline was a pretty good deal, but I think I'll stick to Leupold, never been disappointed with their products yet and I know the warranty is top notch and fast

sheephunterab
04-15-2011, 04:35 PM
In that price range you might want to check out the Nikon Sporter XL II as well. I like it better than the Bushnell. Zeiss has a new $1400 option too!

mcrae
04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
The one you sold me has been getting it done for me. I hunt with guys that have Swaro and Zeiss spotters and there is no doubt they are great spotters but I don't see enough of a diffrence personally to warrant the extra 1000 dollars over what I paid for my Leupold GR spotter.

I am not a sheep hunter it just doesn't interest me all that much so for what I need a spotter for the Leupold is a great spotter. My use is primarly glassing alpine for mulies and elk and avalanche slides for bears. Its all I need. I can see the advantage of the Swaro and Zeiss scopes if you want to sheep hunt though. Needing to figure out a legal ram the Swaro and Zeiss spotters I imagine would be a bonus.

Johnnybear
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Have you looked into the new Leupold SX 2 Kenai. Sweet spotter and a couple hundred bucks less than the gold ring. Comes with two eye pieces for wide angle and zoom.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/spotting-scopes/sx-2-kenai-spotting-scopes/sx-2-kenai-30x-25-60x80mm-hd-straight-spotting-scope/

Lot's of power for looking at those really long range targets:-D.

todbartell
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
thanks guys

Johnnybear that spotter looks good but 60oz! 37oz for the GoldRing

Johnnybear
04-15-2011, 05:01 PM
thanks guys

Johnnybear that spotter looks good but 60oz! 37oz for the GoldRing

Leave one of the 6 packs out of your pack and your good to go:p.

I guess it is more suited for range work :-D.

BromBones
04-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Get the Leupold.

All things being equal, Bushnells warranty is a pain in the ass if you ever need it, but you already know that. :)

Got a sheep hunt planned or something? The gear binge you've been on says yes...

k25/06
04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought the Leupold GR 12-40x60mm spotting scope. Its compact clear and not 2500$ but still does everything you need for hunting or shooting.

todbartell
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Got a sheep hunt planned or something? The gear binge you've been on says yes...

gear binge? hardly :D just focusing gun $ towards non-gun items for once :mrgreen: plus I just sold a rifle

pescado
04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I've got a cheap wind river, it works OK. If I had to do it again I would save my $$$ till I could get some high quality glass. My hunting partner has the swarovski and a good tripod and needless to say my spotter doesn't come out that often. I don't know the Leupold but I would make sure it's what I want before I laid down the $$$.

showtimebc
04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
i've been checking around for a new spotter and for the price and quality of the products out there, the leupold GR seems to be a great buy without giving up alot of weight either.

Blockcaver
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I like my Leupold GR 12-40 x 60mm HD. It does what I need in a nice packable scope. The 12X is especially useful for locating animals and the 40x is clear unless the mirage is bad. This is a great scope for the eye glass wearer. It is not as fine as a Swarovski 60mm HD, but it is non-the-less an excellent scope.

Bear Chaser
04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I would go Leupold over Bushnell or Bausch & Lomb. I purchased the B&L 15-45 years ago. It has since been replaced by a Swaro. Money well spent. I wish I could have done it sooner. The Manfrotto tripods are nice. I picked one up for a little over $125 last year.

dana
04-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Go with the Leupold Gold Ring. You won't be disappointed. I love mine.

Devilbear
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
First spotter, go with the Leupy 12-40 GR-HD, as suggested above and put it on a Slik Ez Pro tripod, about $105.00 in the USA. I am on my third spotter, got a screaming deal on a Leica Armoured 16-48 and a Giotto carbon tripod, with Manfrotto pan head and it is light years beyond the 1970s B&L I had or the Leupy 25X Compact I bought in 1990 and used on fire lookouts and at the range and did not like for hunting.

If, you need to budget your optics, put your serious coin into your bino, first and then your spotter; you do not need to have a L-Z or S high dollar unit and, btw, one of the most skilled and experienced mountain guides I have ever met, Dale Copeland who was working for Barry Thompkins, used an old Redfield and told me that he would not spend the coin on a better one as this did all he needed it for....Willy here knows Dale and can attest to his skill. That said, I will spend big bux on optics LONG before buying the latest "kewl" camo clothes and all that sort of stuff, in fact, the little bit of camo I own is all old stuff and medium priced when I bought it...and it works just fine.

You NEED good boots, optics, pack and decent shelter, but, you can hunt the BC mountains with very simple, ordinary gear and do just fine, most of the uproar over new gear we see on forums these days is just marketing and much of the gear ain't all it is supposed to be.......

sheephunterab
04-16-2011, 06:12 PM
If you are serious about the Leupold, I'd seriously look at the Zeiss Dialyte for a couple hundred bucks more. It offers more magnification and some pretty impressive glass for the price.

KevinB
04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I have used both, but neither extensively. I liked the Leupold quite a lot better. I found the Elite to have poor resolution at full magnification. I also like the 12X on the leupold, it's just the ticket for glassing/scanning large areas more quickly.

todbartell
04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
the Leupold sure sounds good. I'd like a Swarovski but it's just not gonna happen, and when it does it'll be binoculars before a spotter. thanks guys for the info

todbartell
04-16-2011, 10:52 PM
well I bit the bullet and ordered the Leupold. More KD on the menu :D

Johnnybear
04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
well I bit the bullet and ordered the Leupold. More KD on the menu :D

Congrats on the new spotter. I believe you can get a camera adapter for them as well.

todbartell
06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
it's in. Looks good so far, nice and clear with impressive eye relief. Now to start shopping for a good tripod.........

Timberjack
06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
it's in. Looks good so far, nice and clear with impressive eye relief. Now to start shopping for a good tripod.........

Mine's from the sony store - can't remember the model but a friend had one and found it to be the best for the $$ from all the research he did. Mine's light, sturdy, easy to use and has held up well on at least two dozen backpack trips thus far... I can get you the specs if you're interested.

TJ

todbartell
06-02-2011, 09:24 PM
sure that would be great. I'd like to keep the costs under $200, I can always upgrade next year if required

anybody else have any model suggestions?

muledeercrazy
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I thought the glass on the ellite was pretty good but not as good in the hight end as the more expensive scopes, and i didnt like the lack of rubber eye cups.. I sold it and i am using my nikon untill i buy a zeiss or a kowa from Bill

KB90
06-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I bought a leupold tripod. This one to be exact.

Can't stand up with it, but its nice and compact.Seems to be Pretty tough compared to some I've held. But also a little heavier. Worked great on my sheep trip.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/56446-leupold-tripod.jpg

todbartell
06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
my neighbour has one, I used it last weekend with his Swarvo 65mm. I found it tended to move slightly after locking the head, generally I found I had to aim slightly below what I was wanting to glass and then lock it and it would rise slightly. Sometimes it took a few tries to get it in good position when focusing in on a bear on 60x

is yours like this? the one I was using is probably a good ten years old, maybe it's bagged out

I did like it's size and it fit in my pack well

ibehuntin
06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd personally stay away from the leupold tripods as the removable base plates wear slightly and then your scope wobles up and down. I've been through 2 leupold window mounts (they use the same type of base plates) both had the same problem and the bubble level falls out as well. There made in China and it shows. Buy a used Manfrotto/Bogen tripod with a pistol grip head and you'll be much happier.

Timberjack
06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
sure that would be great. I'd like to keep the costs under $200, I can always upgrade next year if required

anybody else have any model suggestions?

Mine is the Sony VCT-R100 - designed for camera etc use but has been very good so far. Avail cheap on the internet... Specs below with min/max height and weight. Not sure how weight compares to others such as the ultra-fun sounding manfrotto... And don't get hung up on the "floor standing model" description below. The telescopic legs are very adjustable for rough terrain...

General Information
ManufacturerSony CorporationManufacturer Part NumberVCTR100Manufacturer Website Addresswww.sony.caBrand NameSonyProduct ModelVCT-R100Product NameVCT-R100 Lightweight TripodProduct TypeFloor Standing Tripod
Technical Information
Maximum Tripod Height1000 mmMinimum Tripod Height355 mmTilt/Swivel90° Up | 90° Down TiltTripod Load Capacity1.20 kgTripod Features
Portable and lightweight design
Materials: Aluminium, APS, POM
Panning Angle: 360°

Physical Characteristics
ColorBlackWeight (Approximate)660 g Approximate
Miscellaneous
Package Contents
VCT-R100 Lightweight Tripod
Carrying Case

showtimebc
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
did you end up order the GR or GR HD?

todbartell
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I went with the standard GR 12-40x60 not HD

leadpillproductions
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
How do u like the spotter

steveo32
06-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Hd gold ring is defiantly a good spotter nothing wrong with out hd!
You might notice a dark ring on the regular gold ring where as the hd
You don't seem to see it!

todbartell
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
How do u like the spotter

so far I really like it but haven't gotten a chance to take it out to glass any animals at longer range yet

Brambles
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Slik 613CF is IMO the best tripod for the money for backpack hunting, get slik's compact head and your off to the races. BHphoto out of the US is where I bought mine and my brothers