PDA

View Full Version : Challenging the CORE

WesHarm
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Well... I have the book, Read through the entire thing once, and will be reading through it at least two more times before I take my CORE..

Can I/ Should I Challenge just the CORE exam? or is it required to actually take the course?

kinda trying to keep my costs as minimal as possible while still getting into the sport.

sarg
04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
u can challenge the core i did but alot of people say it good to take the couse for the stuff they teach ya there, i say do what every fell most comfortable to u.

Phoneguy
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Check you messages

hunterlaura
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
I was going to challenge it, but I sucked it up and hid away in a classroom for 2 days on a 35 degree weekend in Kamloops while my boyfriend was out fishing. That was pretty hard to do, but I'm really glad I decided to take the course instead of challenge it.

johnes50
04-15-2011, 04:22 PM
If your completely new to hunting then take the course, but if you've hunted with somebody else and are used to camping and the outdoors, then do the challenge.

Or the short version:
City boy-Course
Country boy-Challenge

Shooter Jr.
04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
If you have haven't done much/any hunting then I would recommend to take the CORE. If you feel really confident in animal identification and such, then I would still recommend it you'll probably know everything but if you learn at least one thing then it was worth it. At least if you feel very strong with your animal identification and making sure you whats around you when you shoot, its not as necessary, but smart to do it.

tomahawk
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Like some of the others said it depends on your current knowledge base. Other than what you are reading in the CORE manual you won't learn anything else about hunting by challenging it and you will have no chance to learn that what your uncle or grandpa or dad or friend has told you is not really how it should be. The Course is the best way for 90% of new hunters to get their hunter number!

Iron Sighted
04-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I recently challenged and passed the CORE test, it really isn't too hard. However, I'd guess you'd learn a whole lot more in a class. I certainly still have many questions that I plan to get answers to before I go out hunting by myself.

Crimson Viking
04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Take the course . I sat in when my son took it and it was interesting. I thought it was good to get a different perspective , and new information. You're never too experienced that you cant learn something from someone else.

islandarcher
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I really don't think you should be allowed to challenge the CORE course. I hunted in camp once with a youngster (15 or 16) who challenged it, thoughoughly affirmed my standing. Comments like wanting to take the .22 along while cruising the lake in case we see ducks. There is good reason to take the course. It will be among the smallest of investments made if your hunting career.

bcfirefly
04-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm in the same boat. Read the manual cover to cover, took the IHEA online course, been out as the photographer on several 2 week long horseback hunts, and have had my PAL for years and shoot at the range lots w/ reloading. Looked into the course but all thats been offered is evening classes that conflicts with work. So will challenge the course once i have a free weekend here this month, ideally in time for entry into the LEH!

brian
04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Of course it depends on who is teaching it... my CORE course wasn't that great. I'd say if you think wearing jeans and a t-shirt while hunting is a good idea, then for sure take the course.

luckynuts
04-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Of course it depends on who is teaching it... my CORE course wasn't that great. I'd say if you think wearing jeans and a t-shirt while hunting is a good idea, then for sure take the course.

I wear jeans and t-shirts all the time for hunting:confused: Depends when and where you are going.

Taking part in a the 3 day course is a great way to handle all kinds of firearms, meet new people who could one day be a potential new hunting partner. My son is just wrapping up his last day today at 4:30. He could have have challenged it no problem but for a 155 bucks he gets to go over everything, ask questions he might not have asked me and apparently answer all the questions:-D being asked. One of the main things I think is important is they spend time going over the hunting regulations which I see on here so many times people have interpreted wrong (me included :oops:)

Take the course will do you good.

W.

landphil
04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I'd say if you think wearing jeans and a t-shirt while hunting is a good idea.

Hey, I resemble that remark too. If you think taking off your jeans and t-shirt while hunting is a good idea, you obviously didn't take your pills.:-D:mrgreen:

Back when I took my core course, I learned lots even though I had been out with my dad, gutted his animals, and grew up far from the city. As said, different perspectives are good, and hopefully you'll be taught the right and proper ways, and not pick up bad habits from family and friends.

muledeercrazy
04-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Taking the course is really a good idea, but what you learn will definitely depend on your instructor and what you put into it. Personally, I think the important thing to realize is that hunting will be a learning experience. Period. I think you should never be above asking for advice or help, or being open to new ideas. Completing a hunting safety course just gives you the basics, enough to hopefully keep you safe and legal. If you can challenge the course, and keep yourself and other safe in the field... And yourself out of trouble with the co's, go for it.

deepwater
05-04-2011, 07:14 AM
best answer from 303 british - just one more opinion -

moosey
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
As a designated CORE instructor/examiner I try to encourage every new hunter to take the course, and not just because there is a chance that they will take my course (there are several excellent instructors in the Lower Mainland).
The object of the CORE course is not to pass the exam. (In fact the exam is not hard if you reasonably pay attention during class or read the book; I have yet to see somebody fail it on the first attempt).
The idea of the CORE is to give new hunters the minimum set of tools – as much as you can absorb in two or three days – in order to:
Be Safe: not become a liability to yourself or someone else, this applies both to firearms handling as well as general outdoor safety.
Be Legal: know the legal requirements for the type of hunting you plan to do, and, since you are initially likely to be hunting with someone else, to be able to make up your own mind about their hunting practices. (I have seen it happen where new hunters start off on the wrong foot and run afoul of the law simply because they bow to someone else’s superior experience but questionable ethics).
Have a Solid Base from which you can take your own first steps independently without getting in over your head and then gain more experience from there.