PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Muskwa access

greenhorn
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey HBC mainlanders;

Used the search function to find info on the Muskwa region, but most of what I found was on boating up the Muskwa to get access for hunting.

I'm wondering about access by road/foot.

My buddy and I would like to do an extended trip in the region, but don't know much about the access situation. We're both comfortable with hiking long distances and packing in and out, multiple trips, whatever it takes. We routinely do 20km day trips (foot) here on the island for deer and bear, and would be comfortable doing trips like this, or longer, from a base camp.

Ideally we like to set up base camp near our trucks and hike out to get into the hunting spots.

So - what are the access issues for logging roads? Would we be better off setting up base way into the bush?

Any helpful hints or links to info are greatly appreciated by us two newbies to region 7:mrgreen:

Rock Doctor
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
What are you looking for?
I can rattle off a half dozen access points off the top of my head, but all of them are on what would be considered the LOWER Muskwa (Below the Tetsa River). Lots of Moose and Elk, but Not much for Sheep, Goats, ect.

RD

bighornbob
04-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey HBC mainlanders;

Used the search function to find info on the Muskwa region, but most of what I found was on boating up the Muskwa to get access for hunting.

I'm wondering about access by road/foot.

My buddy and I would like to do an extended trip in the region, but don't know much about the access situation. We're both comfortable with hiking long distances and packing in and out, multiple trips, whatever it takes. We routinely do 20km day trips (foot) here on the island for deer and bear, and would be comfortable doing trips like this, or longer, from a base camp.

Ideally we like to set up base camp near our trucks and hike out to get into the hunting spots.

So - what are the access issues for logging roads? Would we be better off setting up base way into the bush?

Any helpful hints or links to info are greatly appreciated by us two newbies to region 7:mrgreen:

Some of the northern guys will know exact spots etc. But if memory serves me right there are only like 3-4 roads that access that country. I know the one up the Sikanni River you can only take a truck so far then an ATV for another 20km or so.

What are you looking at hunting?? You aint packing an elk or a moose 20km, sheep yes but not a moose.

BHB

greenhorn
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
We're planning on late august, so we'd be interested in elk and moose mainly. I think there are thin-horns in there too, which we're both interested in.

But mainly elk or moose.

pappy
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Access on foot can vary depending on water levels, some of the hiking can be horrible mud or muskeg too. I had a grizzly tag last spring for 7-49 and it was a shitty hunt on foot as I have no quad. I spent a lot of hours hiking and glassing. glassing isn't very good as most of the area is lower, not many good hills to get above the trees. If I ever draw that MU again I will get a ride with someone willing to drop me off with their jet boat. August water levels will be better than the spring ones I have seen. The weather changes quick near the rockies, I watched the road right beside one of the bridges that I normally crossed get washed away. I was on the good side so I wasn't stuck in that area. Do your home work on the spot you want to hunt and have two more back up spots just in case.

Rock Doctor
04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
We're planning on late august, so we'd be interested in elk and moose mainly. I think there are thin-horns in there too, which we're both interested in.

But mainly elk or moose.

OK, just for the record, there is no place where you can walk into the Muskwa where there will be Sheep (Lots of places to walk in for Sheep, just not along the Muskwa)

One of your best bets is going to be to camp at the Kledo Boat Launch. North of FN, cross Kledo Cr, DO NOT turn Left just across the bridge at the first turn. It`s gated, but usually open (I will get to this spot later). Keep going to the next Left, just over the crest of a hill, easy to miss. Go back in there, but you probably don`t want to camp right at the launch, there are a few spots to pull off before you get to the launch. There is a large trail network in this area, and you can get back to what would have been the first turn off the highway past Kledo. You will also be able to work your way to the mouth of Kledo cr.
Another option is to continue up the Highway to Steamboat. Right at the old Steamboat lodge, there is a trail that will take you down to the Tetsa River (If you want a long walk, this one is for you, you won`t see anyone else in there). The trail goes to Tetsa River, and you can make your way down to the mouth where it runs into the Muskwa.
In the last 15 miles before getting to FN, there are 3-4 ways to get close to the Prophet River, and just as you enter the Industrial Area, you can turn off the Highway by Cat,Finning. Head back there, and get behind the closed Plywood Mill, and you can get righ to the Mouth of the Prophet River, where it enters the Muskwa.
Just North of FN, there is a logging road (Gated) that heads back to where the Prophet enters the Muskwa (Other side of the river) You can get around that gate, or under it. It will take you to some great logged off areas along the Muskwa River. Some Quaders in this area.

This vid shows the Logging Bridge (first bridge),across the Muskwa, at the mouth of the Prophet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7xsTLnLWDQ

RD

pappy
04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Nice vid. I never got across the prophet, the water was too high anywhere you could get a truck or quad. I seen lots of wolf tracks, seen lots of moose and a bunch of elk. There are tons of black bears in the lower valleys and there was one wolverine I ran into. A guy might be able to float across if you can find a safe spot to cross and be able to hike the boat or canoe back upstream to cross back.

greenhorn
04-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Rockdoctor: are any of the areas you suggest overly busy in the August-Sept timeframe? If any of the areas fill up with road warriors we'd probably go out of our way to avoid those areas?

Cub Driver
04-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Try this web site for access routes into the M/K

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp/fortstjohn/muskwa/maps/index.html

Rock Doctor
04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Rockdoctor: are any of the areas you suggest overly busy in the August-Sept timeframe? If any of the areas fill up with road warriors we'd probably go out of our way to avoid those areas?

Well, we are talking about some of the very few accesses to the Muskwa. There is always the chance if seeing someone else. The further you go from town, and the rougher trail you take, the less chance you will have of seeing others. With a primary directive of Moose and Elk, there is no reason to limit yourself to hunting the Muskwa River. Every sideroad off the highway leads to something, Cutlines, Cutblocks, Rivers, Lakes, Winter Roads. Most of them you can't take a truck down very far, if at all. You will know if someone is in ahead of you, 'couse there WILL be a Viehicle there.
You mentioned wanting to set camp close to your truck. If you stop at a spot along the highway that is ATV/Hiking Trail access with just enough road to pull the truck off a ways. Set camp around there, and nobody will stop and bother you. Those spots are "Daytrip Spots", people don't normally camp there. To noisy with all the trafic going by all night.
If you find a logging road/ Gas road that you can drive down for a long ways, there will likely be trails off into the bush (Especially those roads near the larger rivers like Prophet, Muskwa, Nelson. If you camp by one of those Trailheads, other people migh run up and down the road in front of you, and in and out of the trails on both sides of you, but they will not go down the trail you are at........normally.
Good examples of these types of roads would be the ones around Prophet River Campground area, Lyben Rd at 25km on the Liard Hwy, Both sides of the Liard Highway at around 45km (Nelson River), Kledo Boatlaunch Rd.

If you want to include Sheep into your trip, you will have to head farther North, not a lot farther, but past Steamboat for sure.

RD

takla1
04-17-2011, 02:18 PM
is it just me or does anyone else find it unbelievable to be able to get a moose or elk out of the back country on foot 20 k in that country!!I remember hunting the prophet before i bought my first atv{circa 1990}.we had an agreement between us that we would Not shoot anything that was off the road or cut line more than 500 yrd!When your trying to pack 7-800 lbs of meat thru that country it becomes a dunting task in a hurry.two persons per quarter one trip out,then do that 4 more times including antlers.We did it a few times and thats when the atv was purchaced!!

greenhorn
04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I hear ya. That's why we're asking. We're both comfortable with long hauls on foot, but we want to know where we can drive so that if something is downed, we can minimize the lifting and walking.

yama49
04-17-2011, 05:58 PM
20 km for a moose, or elk on foot, is not doable IMO. People that say they have done it, i truly believe left alot of meat behind.

greenhorn
04-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't want to do it.....
Let's not turn this thread into a debate about how far I can walk. The reason I conveyed that we can hike was to let people know that we're ok with getting away from roads and into the more interesting areas.

bridger
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
i have hunted the muskwa/prophet a lot-- more than most i believe and it isn't really a place you want to hunt on foot. there are lots better areas in 7b to bag a moose or elk if you don't have a horse-quad-or riverboat.

greenhorn
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
i have hunted the muskwa/prophet a lot-- more than most i believe and it isn't really a place you want to hunt on foot. there are lots better areas in 7b to bag a moose or elk if you don't have a horse-quad-or riverboat.

any specific recommendations? we're still in the information gathering stage... please PM me if you have some recommendations that you don't want to share in-forum

takla1
04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
if you look at the pic on my "takla"post of the front of my barn most of those moose racks came from the prophet{my dad and my brother have a bunch as well}every-one of those racks were harvested within 2-300 yds of an access road or cut line close along the prophet river.those were when i was in my late twentys and near as strong as a horse,and a few of them were wicked to get out.building temp. bridges across swamps, up and down from the river bottom,soaked to the eyeball,blistered up,and with bears all over the place!We used to make a point of going for a day hike every yr along the river and many times we'd see bulls and let them walk, just because of the distrance to get them out.Anyhow any access to the river will be good for moose and elk if the herd is around,theres access at trutch,again behind lum& abners in prophet and also just past the prophet settlement, take your pic,all area's there produce depending on weather,access,rut,and your hunting abilities.......

Coming_out_heavy.
04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
To access the muskwa on foot, you will want to camp in Fort Nelson, and walk from there to the river. Other than that, you arent walking to the muskwa. Seriously though, you will want to fly in or get a jetboat packer to help you out.

recoil
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Anybody know how many kms up the Prophet you can get without a jet boat late august on an average rainfall year? Got a 16' tinny but prop motor (has power tilt). Seems like a good area to check out if the LEH plans fall though. I have heard some people have been injured trying to cross the river on foot or quad at various points.

2SHALLOW
04-21-2011, 02:08 PM
not far at all, anywhere from 2" to 2' feet of water. Prop boat is not the way to go.