PDA

View Full Version : Which sights to use?

seanfalloy
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Putting this question up for me aswell as Rectifier and in the hunting portion because we both want good hunting sights. I am shooting a trophy ridge V5 sight right now and i do like it because i have full view both sides of the pin. I have heard that some people dont like these due to the loss of up and down view which is where the kill zone is. The sight seems to be holding up well but i havent really abused it to much either. I am thinking of changing for one that has micro adjust so the allen keys dont have to come out for every change.

Which brands and or pin configurations have
a) held up to the most abuse
b) Vertical or horizontal pins
c) brightness of pins and size recommendations.
d) stability of micro adjusts (is creep happening due to vibration)
e) any other things i dont know about due to the fact im still learning.

Also i found with the vertical sight that if pushed the pins could be bent left or right this can lead to a row of pins that isnt in a strait line which will throw off your left to right. The pins can be pushed back into place easy enough but just something to watch for. (they dont move on vibration)

Thanks

mikeboehm
04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I like truglo. Stay away from cobra sights

Bow Walker
04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Keep your fingers out of the sight housing and the pins won't get bent! The fiber optic threads on the new TR sights are plenty bright enough that they don't need upgrading at all - so no reason to be inserting fat fingers inna da hole...;)

Having said that (I feel better by the way) THE most durable sight that I have ever used was my Spot Hogg Real Deal. Bullet proof!

The pin adjustment is via two set screws (up, Allen keys) but is rock solid once you set it up. The up/down movement is controlled by two set screws and the in/out (windage) is controlled by a different set screw. The sights have a steel wire that marks the center of the housing and is there so that you can line up every pin in a perfect vertical line.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Real_Deal_Sight.JPG

If you bow hunt, among the critical things to pack along with you on every outing is a set of Allen keys. There are too many adjustments on the bow that require Alen keys to be leaving them at home.

Ambush
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Definitely Spot Hogg wraped sight. I don't think there is a tougher, more user friendly sight. You'll get over the initial cost once you start shooting it.

Buy nice or buy twice.[or three or four]

ThinAir
04-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Spot Hogg. The best hunting sight out there IMHO

dave*
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Another vote for Spot Hogg , the new style 2011 pins are even better, full protection for the fibers.

Blockcaver
04-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm a Montana Black Gold Fan. My first one is 4 years old and going strong (Flashpoint). I bought another for my new Hoyt this spring and like it even better (Rush). They are simple and tough sights with very bright pins, yet reasonably light in weight.

GRIZZEZE
04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I have the spot hogg real deal as well

I set the pins once and never had to re adjust

easy to use, and micro adjustable, and tough

how can you go wrong?

Bow Walker
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes - definitely get the 'wrapped' version of the Spot Hogg sights. Also get the 'small guard' rather than the 'large guard' as it's much easier to get the smaller guard "halo'd" within the peep aperture.

seanfalloy
04-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys. Definantly the next sight on my list. I was thinking spot hogg but hadn't heard any real experiences. That said i think the V5 will work for me for a while. My new bow is burning fast and the pins are so close together. I just took it out this afternoon again for some longer shots and it worked better than i can shoot.

Just out of curiosity, Has anyone tried the Trophy Ridge Judge? i found this sight this morning and the idea behind it seems valid but since we dont live in a perfect world i dont know how well the thing can be compensated for wind drag. I would assume the pin spacing is based on a pure parabolic arc but things like helical fletching will cause more wind drag than a strait fletch, which will cause the arch to change. Interesting idea but for the time it takes to sight in a bow i dont know if its really worth it

http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/judge/

Ruger4
04-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys. Definantly the next sight on my list. I was thinking spot hogg but hadn't heard any real experiences. That said i think the V5 will work for me for a while. My new bow is burning fast and the pins are so close together. I just took it out this afternoon again for some longer shots and it worked better than i can shoot.

Just out of curiosity, Has anyone tried the Trophy Ridge Judge? i found this sight this morning and the idea behind it seems valid but since we dont live in a perfect world i dont know how well the thing can be compensated for wind drag. I would assume the pin spacing is based on a pure parabolic arc but things like helical fletching will cause more wind drag than a strait fletch, which will cause the arch to change. Interesting idea but for the time it takes to sight in a bow i dont know if its really worth it

http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/judge/

the way trophy ridge explains sighting in your 40-50-60 pin on the judge wont work for all bows.

milroy
04-16-2011, 06:45 AM
For sure the Trijicon AccuPin.................. why.............. because I can't afford one and want to hear how they work.

Bow Walker
04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I cannot see Trophy Ridge spending time and development dollars to come up with a sight that "won't work for all bows" as Ruger4 says. It just doesn't make sense.

That being said, I suspect it will work just fine if your bow shoots an arrow at a minimum speed - say 300 fps - otherwise the math just won't work on slower bows. I bet it is designed for bows 300 fps and greater.

One thing I really like about the sight is the ability to slide the sight forward and backward in the mounting bracket. Makes getting the sight housing glo-ring perfectly fitted inside your peep aperture (at full draw) a breeze.

Sean - if your pins are too close together try extending the yardages between the pins. Instead of sighting at 10, 20, 30, 40 yards try going a little further with each pin. For really fast bows the first pin can usually be sighted in at close to 20 yards - everything closer (in to about 10 yards) can be shot with the same pin. Then make the next pin something like 35 yards. That will increase the pin gaps and make it easier to shoot.

Try shooting at the target from 10 yards. Get the pin dead-on. Then move back to 15 yards and shoot with the same pin. Does the arrow hit in the same place or is it beginning to drop? Move out to where the arrow just begins to drop below the bulls eye. If that distance is 18 yards, move in to 15 yards and set your first pin there. Then move out to 20 yards and begin the process all over again - setting the second pin just inside of where it begins to drop below the bullseye.

I hope I explained it clearly enough. It should widen your pin gaps so that they aren't all bunched together. You might end up with a different set of yardages than your buddies, say 15, 30, 40, 50, and 60, but the pin gaps will be wider. Good luck.

seanfalloy
04-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I cannot see Trophy Ridge spending time and development dollars to come up with a sight that "won't work for all bows" as Ruger4 says. It just doesn't make sense.

That being said, I suspect it will work just fine if your bow shoots an arrow at a minimum speed - say 300 fps - otherwise the math just won't work on slower bows. I bet it is designed for bows 300 fps and greater.

One thing I really like about the sight is the ability to slide the sight forward and backward in the mounting bracket. Makes getting the sight housing glo-ring perfectly fitted inside your peep aperture (at full draw) a breeze.

http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/
The V5 Micro Alpha does that aswell If i dont end up going with a spot hogg i think this would be the next one. the only real problem i have with the trophy ridge sights is the level is outside of or just on the glow ring and is tough to see on the outside of the peep.

Sean - if your pins are too close together try extending the yardages between the pins. Instead of sighting at 10, 20, 30, 40 yards try going a little further with each pin. For really fast bows the first pin can usually be sighted in at close to 20 yards - everything closer (in to about 10 yards) can be shot with the same pin. Then make the next pin something like 35 yards. That will increase the pin gaps and make it easier to shoot.

Try shooting at the target from 10 yards. Get the pin dead-on. Then move back to 15 yards and shoot with the same pin. Does the arrow hit in the same place or is it beginning to drop? Move out to where the arrow just begins to drop below the bulls eye. If that distance is 18 yards, move in to 15 yards and set your first pin there. Then move out to 20 yards and begin the process all over again - setting the second pin just inside of where it begins to drop below the bullseye.

I hope I explained it clearly enough. It should widen your pin gaps so that they aren't all bunched together. You might end up with a different set of yardages than your buddies, say 15, 30, 40, 50, and 60, but the pin gaps will be wider. Good luck.

I understand what you mean. I thought about doing that and i probably will but i have a 3d tomorrow so i was going to stick with the distances im used to because the last time i changed i got the sight up and shot what used to be my 35 pin but i just changed it to 45 to accommodate longer shots and as you can imagine i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn for a few shots till i remembered i changed it.

Thanks for the little tips on where its good to have the pins for the drop. that makes way more sense than the arbitrary 10y/m apart.

seanfalloy
04-16-2011, 09:43 AM
For sure the Trijicon AccuPin.................. why.............. because I can't afford one and want to hear how they work.

that does look like a crazy sight and in theory with the continually variable transmission with a little bit of figuring out that should work amazingly well. That said i prefer fixed pin so i can change my distances while at full draw. so no luck there

Bowzone_Mikey
04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Trophy Ridge are great sights ... High end Cobras are awesome(because they are made by Sureloc..or vice versa I cant recall)... SpotHogg are what every sight manufacturere aims to be ... I have an old "7Deadly pins" model without the wrapped fibers that I picked up last year .. and I am loving it ... low light situations leave a bit to be desired but a small sight lite cures that as I have desire to make any book ...

Sean as for the Judge ... it does mechanically what every sight tape program does ... it will be more effective if you do 20 and 60 than if you do 20/30 ... and for the most part it will ok as it just spaces out pins at an equal distance ... but if you have ever shot NAP quickspin vanes for instance ... you will know that your arrow loses velocity quickly after about 30-35 yards ... the gap from 50 to 60 would typically be 2-3x as much than if you shot a 3 or 4 degree offset vane

North Star
04-16-2011, 11:52 PM
. the only real problem i have with the trophy ridge sights is the level is outside of or just on the glow ring and is tough to see on the outside of the peep.

Not that you should have to but couldn't you just unscrew the level and flip it around to bring it in to the ring?

Ruger4
04-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Putting this question up for me aswell as Rectifier and in the hunting portion because we both want good hunting sights. I am shooting a trophy ridge V5 sight right now and i do like it because i have full view both sides of the pin. I have heard that some people dont like these due to the loss of up and down view which is where the kill zone is. The sight seems to be holding up well but i havent really abused it to much either. I am thinking of changing for one that has micro adjust so the allen keys dont have to come out for every change.
thanks

Sean , I as well like the vertical pins and have shot many trophy ridge sights. I just recently sold a bow complete with my last trophy ridge vertical pin sight and was prepared to buy another until I tried the Spot Hogg - Hogg it. I`ve had 2 or 3 different spot hogg sights as well over the years and going back to horizontal pins had a bit of getting used to again but am very happy with the sight. If you want micro they are silky smooth with no notches in the adjusment. I also looked in to Judge and the Alpha5 micro but opted out. I did talk to techy about the 40-50-and 60 pin just being bang on for everyone and he agreed this simply isnt possible , however , they are individually adjustable like most sights allowing for ideal adjustablity. The Hogg-it seems bullet proof and super simple to adjust in the field or other......................good luck

pickaspot
04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Spot Hogg-7 deadly pins... 30 yds to 90 yds. Stopped using a 20 as the 30 yard pin only puts you about 2'' high with todays arrow speed. Also, on spot and stalk game its unlikely you will have a shot under 25.... not saying never but it is unlikely!

Shoot straight!

seanfalloy
04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Sean , I as well like the vertical pins and have shot many trophy ridge sights. I just recently sold a bow complete with my last trophy ridge vertical pin sight and was prepared to buy another until I tried the Spot Hogg - Hogg it. I`ve had 2 or 3 different spot hogg sights as well over the years and going back to horizontal pins had a bit of getting used to again but am very happy with the sight. If you want micro they are silky smooth with no notches in the adjusment. I also looked in to Judge and the Alpha5 micro but opted out. I did talk to techy about the 40-50-and 60 pin just being bang on for everyone and he agreed this simply isnt possible , however , they are individually adjustable like most sights allowing for ideal adjustablity. The Hogg-it seems bullet proof and super simple to adjust in the field or other......................good luck

Didnt know they had individual adjustments defiantly needed but still a neat idea. I have decided on spot hogg after playing with one the other day. They just seam like the perfect sight. Im going with either the Hogg-it or the Hunter. Just shot a 3d and shot it quite well with my V5 but i found that the vertical pins cover up to much of the height below the POI so it is difficult to judge weather your to low or not.

Still a pretty good sight but with its faults (coverage of critical areas with pins and level outside of the sight picture) probably would never buy the Vertical sight again. But since im goin to an Anchor sight the level will be visible again.

Riverbc
04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
any opinions on Trophy Ridge Micro Hit Man .019 Fiber 5 Sight? Seems like a steal at $64

Bow Walker
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
any opinions on Trophy Ridge Micro Hit Man .019 Fiber 5 Sight? Seems like a steal at $64

You can get a brand new one for $67.00 +shipping....
http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/trophy-ridge-hitman-sight-black-p-1865348.html

THE BEAST
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
i think that the spot hog seven deadly pins is the best for a pin shooter

PS:i would consider a slidible single pin

BlackwaterHunter
06-03-2011, 08:24 AM
NEVER get a cobra!

Bow Walker
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
It's been my experience that a Bow Hunter doesn't require more than 5 pins on the bow sight. Most time even 3 pins will be all that you need. But 5 pins will do the job for ALL possible bow shots.

Sights with more pins (like the 7 Deadly by Spot Hogg) just clutter up the sight window with too many pins, making it more difficult to quickly pick the correct pin in a "real world hunting situation".

Plus - with today's bow speeds - those 7 Deadly Pins are going to be very close together, further confusing the shooter, whether in a target or hunting situation.

For ease of adjustment, for durability, and for 'shootability' I highly recommend the Spot Hogg line of sights. Specifically any of their 5-pin sights.

Trophy Ridge comes a very close second on all counts, but the Spot Hogg beats everybody.

Here's an example of a basic Spot Hogg sight...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Real_Deal_Sight.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Spot-Hogg_Real_Deal.jpg

Wild one
06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
The best sights I have found so far are Vipers but they are not the easiest sight to find in BC. They are built very well and for the price they are well worth it.

Bow Walker
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Well, spot Hogg's are easily found and the pricing is reasonable, considering the quality.

Wild one
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
$120 shipped from Alberta for Vipers or Almost $200 for spot hoggs and I don't see any quality difference. So why pay more than I have to.

If you have not tried the Vipers check them out for your self because they are well made

seanfalloy
06-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the input. Most of it just reenforced what i thought so i just ordered in a Spot hogg Hunter 5 pin wrapped i think it will work just great. Just mounted up my anchor sight (no peep) and im getting used to that and trying to get a proper anchor that works. between the new sight and the anchor sight my bow feels like a totally different bow all together

Bow Walker
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Wonder if I can do that to "the wife" and would it work???

The Hermit
06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I can't compare it to the Hogg but I'm liking my Limbsaver five pin sight. Build tough and easy to adjust. $63.