PDA

View Full Version : Toad River

Tuffcity
04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
It's been about 14 years since I hunted the Toad River country above Moose Lake, and back then we took a freighter canoe up from the rickety bridge crossing a few clicks below Moose.

Is there any where to lauch a jet boat around there? Any one been very far above Moose Lake with a boat?

RC

bridger
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
most guys go downstream with boats

hunter7413
04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
There is a boat launch about halfways between the main toad bridge and 442,gotta know what your doin in the lakes though or you will be stuck for a day or more

Rock Doctor
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
There is a boat launch about halfways between the main toad bridge and 442,gotta know what your doin in the lakes though or you will be stuck for a day or more

This is very true^^
Also, there is a launch at 428.
It's not really a long trip down to the canyon, and I don't recomend running down through it if you are not familiar with it. If you want a little adventure, you could launch at the Bailey Bridge (KM 40) on the Liard Highway, run down to the Nelson Forks, then up the Liard to the mouth of the Toad, and then up the Toad to Moose Lake.

RD

hunter7413
04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
i don't think you wanna be comin up river below the toad bridge,theres lots of big jagged rocks and i don't think you can make it through

Rock Doctor
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
i don't think you wanna be comin up river below the toad bridge,theres lots of big jagged rocks and i don't think you can make it through

I agree that it's not a nice spot, but it's far from the worst place on the river. Depending on water levels, of course.

BCrams
04-14-2011, 11:01 PM
How far can you get up past Moose with say a very small boat? Can you get at least as far as the creek you can get to with the quad?

Rock Doctor
04-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Do you mean where the trail comes out at the Waterfall, on the trail in to "Copper Keays" Minesite? I use the word "Minesite" loosely, there was never a mine there. (Waterfall would be right across the river from you).
A big boat (18ft) can make it a little past there, and a small boat should go quite a bit further. I have not done it with a small boat, so I can't say how far you could go.
I would say that's livin' dangerously though, if you have trouble, nobody is going up there to help you.

RD

BCrams
04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I know a quad trail runs up about 10 km past Moose to those 2 creeks close together that flows out from Dieppe Mtn area and wondered if a boat could make it there or past that point.

bigwhiteys
04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I know a quad trail runs up about 10 km past Moose to those 2 creeks close together that flows out from Dieppe Mtn area and wondered if a boat could make it there or past that point.

Yep, take your canoe, it would be no problem to make it all the way through the lake and up the river to those two little creeks.:mrgreen:

The quad trail doesn't go too far passed the lake and turns into a horsetrail.

Carl

BCrams
04-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't know that river section but in defence of canoes you'd be surprised what thousands n thousands of hours paddling with up river training for marathon races can do if there's no white water but just steady meandering and occassional shallows. Entire Bowron Lake chain was a push over at just over 12 hrs :mrgreen:.

Wouldn't hesitate to paddle down river but I've never seen the river parts upstream from Moose so access to a small aluminum boat with jet seems feasible until I know for certain river conditions.

bigwhiteys
04-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't hesitate to paddle down river but I've never seen the river parts upstream from Moose so access to a small aluminum boat with jet seems feasible until I know for certain river conditions.

I don't think you can make it to those two creeks by power boat big or small. A canoe would probably be doable with lots of portaging but that's a lot of work when there are perfectly good horse trails to walk on.

Carl

Rock Doctor
04-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think you can make it to those two creeks by power boat big or small. A canoe would probably be doable with lots of portaging but that's a lot of work when there are perfectly good horse trails to walk on.

Carl

Which brings up a good point. I've been asked a few times about how far an ATV can get on the old trails in the area (Moose Lake, Davis Keays, Copper Keays, Chirchill, ect). The short answer is, You can't even get ON them with ATV's anymore, let alone travel them. If my understanding is correct, you are not even allowed to go to Moose Lake anymore, as it's actually OFF the designated Route (Although that particular one does not seem to be enforced)

I'm not positive on this, but I think the creek just across from the 2 creeks BCRAMS mentioned, is the waterfall I was talking about. I've been just past there with my old JB, the 16' one that I used to run. That was a mid July trip I think. (I've been looking all morning for some old pictures, but no luck so far)

RD

BCrams
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Which brings up a good point. I've been asked a few times about how far an ATV can get on the old trails in the area (Moose Lake, Davis Keays, Copper Keays, Chirchill, ect). The short answer is, You can't even get ON them with ATV's anymore, let alone travel them. If my understanding is correct, you are not even allowed to go to Moose Lake anymore, as it's actually OFF the designated Route (Although that particular one does not seem to be enforced)

I'm not positive on this, but I think the creek just across from the 2 creeks BCRAMS mentioned, is the waterfall I was talking about. I've been just past there with my old JB, the 16' one that I used to run. That was a mid July trip I think. (I've been looking all morning for some old pictures, but no luck so far)

RD

It is legal to access Moose Lake as per 'legal' map with an ATV. This is a good document to print off and tuck into your pack for anyone taking an ATV to Moose and along the river as far as the line goes to Belcher Creek. Like mentioned though - how good is the access and can it be legally kept open (i.e., brushed out) given the status of the trail as a designated ATV route?

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp/fortstjohn/muskwa/maps/access_routes_legal/west_yedhe.pdf

Tuffcity
04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
The ATV trail only gets me on the south side - I was looking at getting back into the country on the north side of the river again. Took us two days last time to get from the truck to where we wanted to be at in the high country - and that was having to line the canoe upstream quite a bit. 10 hours to get out! river came up a bit. lol

RD- where did you launch from?

RC

Rock Doctor
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
RD- where did you launch from?

RC

I've always launched at 428, although there is the launch north of the Toad Bridge, as mentioned earlier. I like to be able to run up through tricky spots, before I have to run down through them.

RD

Tuffcity
04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
I hear you RD about going up first :) Is there more than one bridge across the Toad? The one I was referring to used to have a sign on it basically saying it was unstable- use at own risk. If we put in above the bridge why would I have to run down if the intent was to get through the lake? Sorry for the questions- I'm trying to recall what the river looks like from almost a decade and a half ago. lol I'm sure something must have changed since then.

From 428 is that about a 50 click run (river distance) to the lake?

My "quad" option is limited to my left and right ones, hence the boat questions. :)

RC

eastkoot
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm sure I was at the mine years ago, we doubled on the quad in the rain and remember the bridge by Muncho, what was left of it. We went in in the dark, scary ride above Moose Lake, parked at the mine and hunted till mid afternoon. I remember dead sheep in the bunkhouses and generator buildings. When we came out the first crossing had risen a few feet and the quad drifted down and luckily hung up. We had enough batterey to winch it to shore and had to remove the plugs to start it. Ran on one cylinder all the way back to the main Rd. Remember that Northernhunter???

Rock Doctor
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I hear you RD about going up first :) Is there more than one bridge across the Toad? The one I was referring to used to have a sign on it basically saying it was unstable- use at own risk. If we put in above the bridge why would I have to run down if the intent was to get through the lake? Sorry for the questions- I'm trying to recall what the river looks like from almost a decade and a half ago. lol I'm sure something must have changed since then.

From 428 is that about a 50 click run (river distance) to the lake?

My "quad" option is limited to my left and right ones, hence the boat questions. :)

RC

The bridge yo are refering to is the one on the mine road, it has been re-decked for quad/horse traffic only. The one I'm refering to is the one on the Alaska Highway. Sorry for the confusion:)

I'm sure I was at the mine years ago, we doubled on the quad in the rain and remember the bridge by Muncho, what was left of it. We went in in the dark, scary ride above Moose Lake, parked at the mine and hunted till mid afternoon. I remember dead sheep in the bunkhouses and generator buildings. When we came out the first crossing had risen a few feet and the quad drifted down and luckily hung up. We had enough batterey to winch it to shore and had to remove the plugs to start it. Ran on one cylinder all the way back to the main Rd. Remember that Northernhunter???

Those buildings have been removed (several yrs ago). That was getting bad up there, The last time I looked in those buildings there were about a dozen sheep carcasses in them.
The poor sheep would enter the buildings/rooms, and the wind would blow the doors shut behind them and trap them there. Sad and smelly at the same time.

RD

hunter7413
04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
There is three bridges on the toad one @ mile 428 one @ mile 435 (round about) this is the main highway and then there is the 442 bridge that goes into moose lake area

northernhunter
04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
The one at 442 is the one you want. It will get you in to moose lake or the mine, the buildings are all gone at the mines and have been for some time now. You should try and bring a quad in with you, will cut off alot of time and then put you're canoe in further up. Like eastkoot said it can be an adventure in there, heading up there for a week sep 19 for goat and sheep. Later part of sep usually produces better up that way.

one-shot-wonder
04-18-2011, 08:26 PM

I have run the river South from moose lake probably for 4 hours in a 12 ft tin can, near the back I could hear jetboats in the distance likely from the Getaga?? I figure we were well past Belcher creek. The water was becoming more shallow and gentle before we finally turned around as the day was getting short.