PDA

View Full Version : May 1st Malahat 3D

Bow Walker
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
An interesting shoot coming up in a couple of weeks. Great terrain for a 3D get together. Anyone planning on going?

May 1st at the Victoria Fish and Game Club - top of the Malahat on the East side of the highway at Holker Rd. Right across from the Spectacle Lake turnoff.

Douglas.Bell@forces.gc.ca is listed as the event coordinator - he used to be the archery guy at the Vic Bowmen Club.

Bow Walker
04-14-2011, 08:01 PM
17 views and no comments? Too far away? During Playoffs?

Moosegetter
04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi yes I'm going to try and make it down there if I'm not working. Is it one or two days? Start time? Thanks Moosegetter

Bow Walker
04-15-2011, 10:56 AM
It's a one-day shoot on Sunday, May 1st.

Start time is set for 09:30 but most people get there from 08:00 onward to practice, socialize and see what everyone else is shooting these days.

Bring a thermos of a hot beverage of your choice and join in!

BHarp
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Umm.....Sunday is May 1st.

Allen50
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
yea may 2ed is monday, so guess someone has to figger out witch day it is going to be on, don't think its a monday but i could be wrong, lol lol,, may 1st is sunday,, so would we be shooting then,, cause may 2ed i have to be at work,,

The Hermit
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
The Shoot is on SUNDAY MAY 1ST. Unfortunately I can't make it. Going to the Kamloops Two Day Gun Show that weekend. Good luck to all the shooters!!

Eagle1
04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Sorry everyone - the shoot is on the Sunday. May 2nd.

NOT May 1st, as originally posted........damn that Bow Sitter for giving me the wrong date anyway.

Do you look at the Calender like you shoot 3 - D ?????? LOL : }
May 1st, Bro was right, as always........

Bow walker bring yer bow,I bet cha a penny a point. :mrgreen:

Bow Walker
04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
There we go! Got some interest after all. I hope everyone is going?

BowSitter
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry everyone - the shoot is on the Sunday. May 2nd.
........damn that Bow Sitter for giving me the wrong date anyway.

Apology Accepted!!

Eagle1
04-26-2011, 09:54 AM
There we go! Got some interest after all. I hope everyone is going?

I hope we get more intrest !!!!!!!!!!
9 & a half times outa 10 I go to the Malahat shoot, it's a great shoot put on by the Malahat guys { and ladys}

Bow Walker
04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm working hard, trying to make the shoot - but don't tell anyone. I think I'd better bring more than the normal amount of arows - it's been quite a while since I last shot (and guesstimated yardages).

Almost had a new shooter talked into it but no go. The shooter is working the weekend.

blackwater moose
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
are range finders and bino's okay to use at the 3d shoots?

BHarp
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Unless advertised, range finders are usually not allowed, but binoculars are OK.

Bow Walker
04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Range finders are not OK at shoots - unless it is advertised as a "Fun Shoot", which meansthat the scoring will not be recorded.

Binoculars, on the other hand, are always welcome.

Bow Walker
05-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I just got in from the Malahat 3D. Yep, I'm stiff and sore from lack of shooting - but a couple of ounces of Famous Grouse with a splash of red vermouth and a few ice cubes is working its magic right now as I type. Than god for the Scottish people/distillers! :wink:

Seems I raised more than a few eyebrows just by showing my ugly mug. I haven't had the opportunity to make a shoot for at least a year now. Being an Old Pharte, I new a lot of faces but couldn't put names to everyone.:oops: Good for the younger bro' for doing his "good-deed-for-the-day" and helping out in that department. Thanks bro'.

20 targets in the morning - break for lunch - and then 20 targets in the afternoon. The 'organizers' went out during lunch and moved th shooting pegs.....(motherless s.o.b.'s). I was just getting them memorized! What a waste of effort.

Great variety of shots, nicely set up course, and a few interesting shots all made for a super day to be an archer. The weather was gorgeous. The bugs were not all awake yet and without even using bug spray, I hardly got bitten at all. Not so's you'd notice, anyway.

The people at the Malahat Club have done a lot of hard work renovating the archery course and it sure shows. This may be old news to some but it's worth repeating - they now have a "wheelchair friendly" archery course up there. Nicely laid out with a good variety of targets and shot opportunities. The rest of the area has been re-worked and many upgrades are now in place. Kudos to all the volunteers who had a hand in the work. :mrgreen:

I shot with Bernie Van G, Alfred B, Derick, and Bow Sitter. Of course, they all beat up on me - score wise, but I was not too displeased with my results. Bearing in mind that it's my first 3D in over a year, and bearing in mind that the only shooting I've done in that time is the very occasional 20 or 30 shots in the backyard (set 20 yards).....enough excuses? I managed to shoot 324 out of a possible 400. That converts to 81% accuracy, but doesn't address the 5 targets where I only scored a "5" in the morning round.:oops:

Ah well, as I am so fond of saying/preaching - practice, practice, and more practice. Time to 'practice' what I preach!

All in all I had a super time and it was great to once again get out there and "kill some foam." Looking forward to the next opportunity.

OOBuck
05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I guess the bow wasn't the only thing that was dusty... 324 isn't that bad at all though...

Eagle1
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Naw the bow wasn't dusty, he was just rusty........ 324 is a decent score for an old phart, but not as good as 379, but he left before I remembered that I bet him a penny a point, but I'll let it go as he did pull himself out of hiding to show his ugly mug : } good to see you again, uuhhhmmmm DAN. The guys { and gals} of the "Rock Bowhunters" did a great job and even pooled all their resources and got a nice day, and it was a great turn out { I heard 55 shooters } one of the best in a long time for the Malahat. bout time, see it wasn't that scary.

Bow Walker
05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Like I said - I'm not too displeased with 324. Not thrilled, but not displeased.

Bill, your 55 cents is in the mail........

Was good to see everyone again. Even if I didn't remember all the names.