PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Grizzly Meat

KB90
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey,
Doing a quick poll for a school project.

Simple yes or no answer.

If you went Grizzly Hunting and successfully killed a bear would you remove the edible portions with the intent of eating the meat?

Thanks Kyle.

hunter7413
04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
bad enough takin out black bear meat, 2 black bears are enough worms for one year

evhunter
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I have, I do and I will.

BromBones
04-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Depends what he smells like when I peel the hide off.

Pioneerman
04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
My full intent would be to take the meat , sure would hate to see anything go to waste, and I am not a trophy hunter, but can appreciate a great animal and then eat it :-)

The Hermit
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Voted yes but it would depend on how he smelled!

Caribou_lou
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Smoked and cured hams are great. But wouldn't think about taking them off a bear that has been feeding on fish. I find bears take on the flavor of whatever they eat.

Pioneerman
04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Smoked and cured hams are great. But wouldn't think about taking them off a bear that has been feeding on fish. I find bears take on the flavor of whatever they eat.

That is why my bears get prefed elk, deer and moose, no skunks

gutpile
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
when you leave meat in the bush, it does not go to waste other animals will eat it all up.
when you think about it, when animals eat the meat they will not be killing other animals so you will actually be saving animal from being killed.

buck nash
04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I guess its all in how you define edible. But even if I won't eat it, I have 2 hungry dogs that will.

Pioneerman
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
when you leave meat in the bush, it does not go to waste other animals will eat it all up.
when you think about it, when animals eat the meat they will not be killing other animals so you will actually be saving animal from being killed.

If that makes you happy then that is fine. I know the meat will be eaten ,but I don't think too many mice wiskey jacks, crows, ravens will be killing too many animlas in the woods. I know it will get eaten even if by ants and mice and of course a few bears, wolves and cats, but I do not plan on just feeding the critters, i would much rather have my freezer filled and then I will kill less other animals to eat :-)

McSledder
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I take the meat, if I happen upon one that smells like garbage I would leave it be. I am a meat hunter thou

bigwhiteys
04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
In my own opinion retrieving the meat from a Grizzly Bear is a great disservice to the bear and the ecosystem that fed and housed him his entire life. Take the Hide, Take the Skull and let the carcass of the bear feed the ecosystem from which it came, because it sure does!

Carl

Mr. Dean
04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeh, I'd want to try some..... Don't think I'd take all of it though.

Pioneerman
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
In my own opinion retrieving the meat from a Grizzly Bear is a great disservice to the bear and the ecosystem that fed and housed him his entire life. Take the Hide, Take the Skull and let the carcass of the bear feed the ecosystem from which it came, because it sure does!

Carl

Wouldn't that be the same with every single animal out there then? It is choice or people would leave everything behind as a carcass is a carcass for the eco system. Again it is a matter of choice what ever is legal is what matters, I would prefer to take what ever I shoot and I know some do and some don't.

bigwhiteys
04-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Wouldn't that be the same with every single animal out there then?

Yes, for sure. It just seems fitting that a critter that basically scavenges carrion and whatever it can from said ecosystem for it's existence should maybe be returned to said existence minus what you came for... (Hide & Skull). If a guy is so hard up that he needs to eat Grizzly Bear then I am not going to tell him it's a bad idea. Dig in... BUT a dead Grizzly is food for another Grizzly. Conservation right? Just lookin' out for the other bears.

Carl

kayjayess
04-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Last springs we just took the hide and skull with us off the Grizz we harvested. As we shot the bear at last light, were deep in grizz country and a solid hour plus hike through an area thick with black and grizz we never bothered to carve out any of the meat of the carcass that night. The next day when caping out we carved some meat of the skull and pads, etc. We cooked it up in a stew with some veggies and it was really tasty. In fact I much preferred it to black bear I have harvested in the past. I will definitely take some steaks next time around although the bulk will be given back to the ecosystem.

hunter1947
04-13-2011, 01:48 AM
If i downed a Grizzly bear all the meat would stay in the bush the hide would be the only thing taken out..

mjmbc
04-13-2011, 04:17 AM
ive bears both coastal and interior grizzly and black i find its mostly the way in wich it is prepared that turns people off and yes what its been eating ie garbage or fish . I was always taught to eat what you catch was instilled in me at a young age my first kill a robin dad found it plucked it made me eat it lesson learned.

bowhunterbruce
04-13-2011, 04:44 AM
i have enjoyed black bear for most of my life ,if the oppertunity ever came along i wouldn't hesitate taken home the edible meat.i was brought up that if your gonna shoot it, ya better eat it attitude.i wouldnt want a fish eating bear, however one that likes his fruits and veggies would deffinatly be on my table.

kennyj
04-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Yes. If I kill it I eat it.
kenny

Mik
04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
It was delicious!
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq159/Kozynest/SpatsiziHunt087.jpg

OutWest
04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Same as Kennyj. If I pull the trigger on an animal I have full intentions on eating it. Personally, I'm not into hunting something just for a cape and skull.

WesHarm
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I thought the wildlife act stated you have to take out any edible portions? Or does that not count for Griz?

Camp Cook
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Grizzly is exempt hmmm wonder why...

I have - I leave it for the animals last one another grizzly carried off the body it stayed on it for weeks...

WesHarm
04-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Cool, good to know!

srupp
04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
No I do not take the grizzly meat out to eat..on some ocassions I have indeed taken some out, and have used grizzly meat as crab bait works pretty damn good but the crabs develop an attitude...lol)

but as a rule no..

cheers
Steven

BiG Boar
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I think the poll is skewed. You need a third answer. It should read
A every grizzly I take the meat
B I always leave the meat
C depends if the meat smells awful

d6dan
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
If the bear is a tundra living, high country bear eating vegies and berries for sure he would taste okay, but if he's living near or on the salt water, I wouldn't eat him..nothing worse than a fishy tasting bear.:frown:.

ThinAir
04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
No. Hide can weigh a hundred pounds. Not gonna pack any meat.
Grizz is a trophy animal if we want to admit it or not.

BiG Boar
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Grizz is a trophy animal if we want to admit it or not.

Most hunters don't want to admit it at this point in the poll.

Barracuda
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
i think the key word is edible.
if you look at the meat and deem it good to try then try some , if not then dont.

I wont be hunting grizzly for the meat.

warnniklz
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
If I ever get drawn and I manage to put one on the deck I'll take some out for the sake of wanting to try it... but for the most part no

twr
04-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I would not take the meat. it would be a trophy animal to me. IMHO

srupp
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
mountain bear..Grizzly can make some very very good eating..mid june..end of season when started to fatten up and rid themselves of hibernation state of inactivity...I actually enjoyed it...as stated would never consider coastal G bears....yet being honest..rarely ever take any Grizzly meat..

cheers
Steven

guntech
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
There is a good reason why wildlife regulations do not require the removal of the 'meat' but they do require removal of the hide...

It is a trophy animal whether anyone likes that or not... no one has to shoot one of those wormy buggers for a food source...

Walking Buffalo
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I would be bringing the meat out. It is great eating. Yes, there are exceptions.
It wasn't very long ago that black and grizzly bear meat was considered better than elk and moose. People were looking for the fat content, something that is not a problem in today's society.

I like the attitude here in BC. Over here in Alberta the majority of bear hunters think Black bear is inedible.

a dead Grizzly is food for another Grizzly. Conservation right? Just lookin' out for the other bears.

Carl

Lol... I immediately thought of David S. and gang.... This would make a good slogan. :mrgreen:

elkdom
04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
any Grizz I kill , the carcass stays in the bush for the magpies and the worms,,
no requirement to remove meat from Grizzly Bears taken under license in BC, a sensible regulation,,

the requirement to remove Black Bear meat to a place of residence ?, a ridiculous regulation!,, so you are required to take the Black Bear meat home and toss it ?,, or eat it ? your choice,,,,

oh ! by the way Black Bears are classified as fur bearing wildlife in the BC Reg's,,,

steel_ram
04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
It's a trophy hunt. I don't agree that we're doing the ecosystem a big favour by leaving the carcass behind, letting other animals feed on that bag of parasites, but otherwise, if I decided to hunt grizzlies it would be left behind.

Certainly not an animal I would even consider if filling thefreezer was my goal. Much easier, less expensive and palatable critters out there to hunt.

yama49
04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Its a trophy IMO. So cape and skull for me only. Need a draw first :neutral:

alecvg
04-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Absolutely. I dont kill an animal just for the sake of killing it. Yes, I am a trophy hunter to a sense, I would pass on a small bear for a bigger bear, same with any other critter, but I also hunt for the meat. I won't kill something that I am not going to eat unless it is a problem animal or it is killing out of management, or killing varmits (coyotes, racoons, wolves, etc.) But bear meat tastes great, I wont leave it lay.

GRIZZEZE
04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
My grizz tasted great, smoked the hams and sausage for the rest, did not last long

moosinaround
04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I would leave the most of it. I would pack out a ham or two, and maybe some of the back half to try. I would think the fronts would be tough as all get out due to the heavy digging those buggers do??!! I get enough sausage meat with black bears and deer, so no need for more grizz sausage! Just a rug thats it!! Moosin

greenhorn
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Only way I'd shoot is if the majority of the meat was going to get eaten or used for dog feed. Otherwise, wouldn't pull the trigger. It's the meat that I'm concerned about.

Marlin375
04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I intend on taking out the backstraps and a ham or two providing it smells good. (the shoulders on my Bear are going to be full of bone chips and blood-shot:twisted:), Can't believe the prime cuts would not make a killer batch of Jerky.

TyTy
04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
if i was ever to shoot a grizzly, i would investigate the backstraps and tenderloins.

anybody who hunts grizzlies i figure would want a big one, and those are probably the only parts that might still be tender enough to take on a big bear?

GreatWhitePopogeebo
04-13-2011, 10:37 PM
No friggn way unless someone wanted then id take it. Thats why i no kill a grissly ber

moose2
04-14-2011, 10:52 PM
If i downed a Grizzly bear all the meat would stay in the bush the hide would be the only thing taken out..

Glad to see your answer Wayne I am sure some of the hunters claiming they would eat it are not aware of the risks involved. It it a well known fact that grizzly bears very often have the trichinella parisite which can cause trichinosis if meat is under cooked or eaten raw. Black bears and pork can also have this as well , but the strain found in grizzly bears is known as an artic strain and this one can not be killed by freezing like the ones in pork or black bears. This is the reason grizzly meat does not have to removed by law. It is a risk to under cook it , because heat alone is the only thing that would make it safe , freezing won't help like in other wild meat. So my answer is NO these and wolf carcasses will stay in the bush if I get one.
Mike

ufishifish2
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Here's a link to a good old thread right here on HBC containing great info regarding where to test for trichinosis. It contains additional links to areas in the LML that will test the meat for you before you attempt to eat it. There is no need to make excuses for wasting the meat now....
I don't believe in wasting anything I kill, therefore, I would take it out and get it tested before eating.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?22271-Test-Bear-Meat-for-Trichinosis-at-Ministry-of-Agriculture

Camp Cook
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Thats really nice that you feel so strongly about keeping the meat.

I don't feel the same way I'm totally ok with leaving it so it will feed all of the wild animals in that area.

but I'm also not judging or telling anyone else what they should do to each there own...

:wink:

6 K
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
There are no edible portions on a Grizz or any bear for that matter.
Unless of course you are a dog.

nolan-sawka
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
There are no edible portions on a Grizz or any bear for that matter.
Unless of course you are a dog.

haha im suuure thats going to start some shit, black bears great in pepperoni or sausage

olharley guy
04-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Howdy, I am with Hunter 1947 and a few of the others-years ago in the North on one of my first bear scouting trips ran inot a CO and a RCMP-talked a little bit about bears and they both said they would never eat a Grizzly-the year before a couple hippy types living in the bush near Dawson City were feasting on a Grizzly some one had recently shot and both got trichinosis-first case recorded in 30 years in the Yukon.

That has stuck in my mind ever since!

A year later I got fair size black bear not to far from a gas stop and restaurant, loaded it in the truck and drove up to the cafe and the owner said was I going to use the meat and I said no-he could have it.

After skinning it - he said is this ever going to make some delicious bacon and chops.???

Needless to say, I only had poached eggs if we stopped by their place. Later

ThinAir
04-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Any animal that ate meat for breakfast.... I ain't eating for dinner!

Gateholio
04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Any animal that ate meat for breakfast.... I ain't eating for dinner!

It's funny...

FIsh eat other fish, but we eat fish

Chickens eat meat, but we eat them

Pigs eat meat but we eat bacon

Bears eat more flora than fauna, but some people wont' eat them! :)

Pioneerman
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
It's funny...

Exactly !! But no one wants to think about it. Don't fish and chickens actually eat the worms that everone is so afraid of ?:?

ThinAir
04-15-2011, 09:03 PM
It's funny...

You make a valid point Gatehouse, but I'll still pass on the Grizz:)

GRIZZEZE
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Mine was a spring bear, I took the meat and it was very good. I am not sure if I would take anything off of a fall bear or not, too greasy. All you have to do is make sure that you cook it properly as with black bears, and you will be fine.
I do not believe in a trophy only hunt, so I took the meat, and everyone that tried it said it was good.
I do not put in for fall draws or even go out for black bears in the fall, because I have had some of the meat from that time of year and found a different taste, I did not find it as good, so I just wont shoot one in fall.
Each to their own, the law says you don't have to, but a trophy only hunt is the easiest one for the anti hunters to be able to take away

There is a place for all of gods creatures
right next to the mashed potatoes:mrgreen:

6 K
04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
haha im suuure thats going to start some shit, black bears great in pepperoni or sausage

Not the ones where I live.
They taste like rotting fish and smell like an out-house.
Simply NOT PALITABLE.

loneeagle
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Black Bears are edible meat is not bad at all. Grizzly on the other hand I would not eat, therefore, I do not hunt them I can't get past the idea of being wasteful even if I feel it is not fit to eat.

mrak
04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
by the time i get the hide & skull i will be lucky to just get out of the bush myself and if not a big grizz it will be no grizz . It was better when they hade a bounty on them N.B.L.unless marlin375 wants to back it for me ha ha ha