PDA

View Full Version : Question about Synopsis?

Bruinhunter
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
"The BC regulation forbids the possession,
trafficking, importing and exporting of
bear galls, including any part or derivative of
the gall bladder, and genitalia." ---on Synopsis

What about genitalia? Does it mean cutting the penis off and leaving it in the bush?:confused: If that, how could they determine the sex of bear?

Steeleco
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
The sex of a bear is irrelevant, It's mentioned in the regs to take the time to make sure the bear is not with cubs but it's impossible to sex a bear before it's dead unless it's with cubs. I personally skin it where it falls when possible and don't worry about it. Although I think the bladders should be turned in to the wildlife guys for some credit or such thing, IE Salmon heads!! Sure cut down on the black market for such things.

Sorry didn't mean to go askew, back on track now!!

brotherjack
07-28-2006, 04:42 PM
The sex of a bear is irrelevant, It's mentioned in the regs to take the time to make sure the bear is not with cubs but it's impossible to sex a bear before it's dead unless it's with cubs.

This is kind of a sore spot with me. The regs fail to mention the fact, that some CO's will try to hold you responsible to determine that there are no cubs - a determination which is not always possible without hours of observation of the individual bear, which of course, you don't usually get in a shooting situation.

I personally know of a situation where a CO siezed a hide and threatened to throw the book at a guy who shot a lone bear that turned out to be female, when later (over 4 hours later) the cubs were finally located. Now you can say all you want that the wording of the law is such that it would have been thrown out in court - but I don't know about you, I ain't got time or money to fight something like that in court. Neither did the gentelman in question. The bear hide was never returned, and that's one less guy who hunts bears in this province.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

youngfellla
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
What about genitalia? Does it mean cutting the penis off and leaving it in the bush?:confused:

Yeah, they don't want you selling the 'private parts'.

Actually, their motto is "Keeping Dicks off the Street" :lol:

40incher
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah. No more swizzle sticks I guess. LOL

They don't care what people do, as long as they don't have fun.

Bigbuckadams
07-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Keep getting timed out, so I'll make it short and sweet. Look in your regs, page 20, upper right hand corner underneath REMOVING EVIDENCE OF SEX AND SPECIES, there is a NOTE: I would type it in, but I get timed out, my typing isn't that slow, but I am not going to do it a 3rd time...lol:mrgreen: . Bottom line is, leave sex ID ATTACHED. My father-in-law learned this the hard way a number of years ago, he read what you read and was charged and fined under the Wildlife Act for not leaving sexual ID on a bear he had tagged. If in doubt, contact your local CO, but the regs state sex and species must be evident until it reaches the meat cutter/butcher/comp. report station, etc.

Steeleco
07-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Intersting Bigbuck, I'll have to read that, I didn't know

Removing Evidence of Sex & Species
Evidence of species and sex may be removed
from the carcass or the hide of game:
after it arrives at a person’s normal
dwelling place and is butchered and stored
there for consumption on the premises,
after it is taken to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant, or
after it has been inspected by a qualified
Compulsory Inspector.
NOTE: It is not an offence to possess bear
genitalia attached to the hide or carcass,
and, after it is no longer needed on a bear
carcass as evidence of sex, the genitalia may
be removed from the hide at the above
locations if immediately destroyed and
disposed of at that location. Leaving
evidence of species and sex on the carcass
will not spoil or in any way contaminate the meat.

Bigbuckadams
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the paste job Steeleco, computer illiterate and my typing is not quite up to the required 60 wpm...lol:mrgreen:

Bruinhunter
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Thank you guys! You are so generous to share your knowledge. it's too tricky to deal with.:wink:

Steeleco
07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
And here I thought I knew it all :redface::redface: Just goes to show you never stop learning!!! My hunting bud will be surprised to, neither of us knew.

PGKris
07-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Did you know bears have a penis bone? :lol:

mainland hunter
07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
yes and some people believe it or not clean em and use em as stir sticks. not sure why

Krico
07-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Did you know bears have a penis bone? :lol:

Hence 40Incher's comment on "swizzle sticks". The bone allows them to always be "ready.";-)

Let a friend stir their drink with it, tell them what it is afterwards:grin:

3kills
07-29-2006, 05:44 PM
so question??? its been a long day and i m not readin that right...does this mean we can keep the pizzle bone now???

youngfellla
07-29-2006, 05:52 PM
so question??? its been a long day and i m not readin that right...does this mean we can keep the pizzle bone now???

No, you aren't supposed to keep it. Leave it attached until it has been inspected/done with at the butchers. Then you're supposed to get rid of it.

Steeleco
07-29-2006, 08:47 PM
OK now I'm really unsure, when they talk of genitals I assume they mean the fleshy part not the bones. It's not any different a compound than the skull and we keep those. But I've been wrong once on this topic already. :redface:

As far as finding one in a drink, been there done that, didn't change the taste of my Rum and Coke, just made me laugh, till then I had no idea.

bsa30-06
07-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm still not sure why this should even be an issue since the regs. dont state shooting a specific sex other then not to shoot bears with cubs.I couldn't tell the difference between a boar and sow without being able to look.As long as you make every effort to make sure there are no cubs around then you should be o.k.It also seems to me that page 8 in the regs. states that it against the law to posses genitailia , and that page 20 states that you must posses genitailia and that it is not an offence, come on which way do you these guys want it.But what do you expect from people who put out a book with a pic. of a carribou titled elk (pg76).I guess if you want to be safe you better leave evidence of sex attached until they straighten out this mess.

Steeleco
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Well after a range trip tonight with Chappy and my son, we were talking about this topic. I asked him if he recalls this part of the regs, he looked at me like I think I looked when I first read the section. So as I had started saving regs for some reason back in 2000, Chappy suggested I look in there to see if it's a new thing. NEWS FLASH it's on pg 25 of the 2000-2001 synopsis, boy do I feel like the royal twit. The amount of bears that between us we've taken and never knew. Won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for asking the question Bruinhunter, you quite likely saved me some embarrassment and some moo-la :eek::eek:

brotherjack
08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
As long as you make every effort to make sure there are no cubs around then you should be o.k.

As long as there aren't actually cubs. Regardless of the actual law, a CO might likely throw the book at you and leave you to defend yourself in court, if in fact, there turns out to be cubs - regardless of whatever precautions you took to assure yourself there weren't any. See my post about 3rd one down from the top of this thread.

Radar
08-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Doesn't it come down to how you deal with the CO?(I mean assuming you know there weren't any cubs, which you should) and that you aren't a jerk with him/her, keep it light, let them know what you did to make sure there weren't any cubs.....just don't give them a pop with a stir stick;)

hoochie
08-05-2006, 01:38 AM
ok, so heres a stupid question then...
If I shoot the bear, am I not entitled to keep the gall bladder to use if I want to?
I understand about selling it and trafficing.. but what if I want to use it? I bought my tag.. shouldnt I use as much of the animal as possible?
( not that I would use the gall.. just a hypothetical question).

mainland hunter
08-05-2006, 01:43 AM
its a blanket rule so they can enforce the ban on the trade.

Jagermeister
08-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Although I think the bladders should be turned in to the wildlife guys for some credit or such thing, IE Salmon heads!! Sure cut down on the black market for such things.

Sorry didn't mean to go askew, back on track now!!
That's a very plausible idea, similar to compulsory inspections. It would give a good idea about bear harvesting, etc.

Steeleco
08-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Hoochie have a read:

Hunters are not committing an offense if
they remove the gall bladder from the
carcass and leave the gall bladder at the kill
site, or, if they move the bear from the kill
site and they, within 48 hours, dispose of
the gut pile including the gall bladder.

bsa30-06
08-05-2006, 12:31 PM
This is getting wat to complicated , maybe we should send the co's out with a can of pink spray paint,they can paint all the females pink and we won't shoot those ones.How long is long enough when watching for cubs, these are wild animals , not locked up in a cage at the zoo for viewing pleasure.

brotherjack
08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Doesn't it come down to how you deal with the CO?

It more comes down to how the CO deals with you... You don't have to be a jerk to a CO to get him to be one to you. :(