PDA

View Full Version : Fleas, Ticks, Heartworm

mijinkal
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
What does everybody use for flea/ tick control for their dogs?

From some internet research, I've read about Frontline, Advantix and Revolution. I'm shure there are many other options out there as well.

Last year I used what my vet recommended (I forget wich brand). I will probably take his advice and use what they recommend again this year.

Also, what months do you guys use the products on your dogs?

Finally, what source to you use to buy them? (vet, internet, ditect from distributor etc.)

akyne
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
We've tried Revolution, Advantix, and Advantage on our GSP and have found Revolution to be the most effective. The major problem with the other medications is the effectiveness is diminished substantially if your dog spends any amount of time in the water, whereas Revolution is essentially waterproof.

mijinkal
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Yea, my dog spends probably 1/2 hour a day swimming around in our pond so that's definitely a factor.
Where do you get your supply from?

04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
When we lived in the coast, the Vet said to use something like Advantix. He said it doesn't take care of heart worm and heart worm is basically non-existent in the coast (if anyone has or knows of anything different...thats just what the vet told me). I said that we do a number of trips to Kamloops/Okanagan etc...he said to use Revolution because its takes care of ticks/fleas and heartworm and that is basically where heart wrom is prevalent.

We've been using Revolution for 5 years now on our Shepard mix who spends a lots of time in the bush, trails, etc and she has never had any infestation of any kind.

I was giving it to her about once a month, but it's more like every 2 months now.

Iron Glove
04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Our Vets basically said the same as 303 and we followed the same advice.
We live on the Wet Coast but spend up to a third of our time in the Interior so we made sure that the tick and heart worm aspect was covered.
Same results as 303, never a problem and our mutts are in the River and Lake for hours on end.
We've never found a tick on our dogs but have found the odd one in our bed later, presumably fell off the dogs. Yuck.

4ptbuck
04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I've been working on the same issue for my dog.

For those on Revolution, did you know it only controls American Dog Ticks.
Whereas Advantix and Frontline Plus controls all species of ticks.

Or at least that what each of them claim on their own websites.

From what I read, there is a bit of controversy with Advantix, and the use of Permetherin. Permetherin is an insecticide. Same stuff people spray on clothes, and the same stuff found in most bug killers.

Anyways, leaning heavily towards Advantix, or Frontline, because of our place in Princeton (ticks). Vets here, Richmond are recommending Revolution, but control of American Dog Tick only doesn't do it for me.

Also vets around here don't carry/can't get Advantix or Frontline.

Also for Heartworm, there's internet stories about the ineffectiveness of Revolution for heartworm. Since Heartworm is transfered from mosquitos, Advantix does help in the battle with permetherin, which also repels mosquitos.

I am planning on an Advantix/Frontline route, coupled with Interceptor for Heartworms.

Now where to find this stuff....

sakohunter
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Good topic,

The topical drug revolution has been ok for my dogs and we go down south with the dogs. As for the tick issue, the dogs are covered with an annual lyme vacination from getting sick. Certain areas of North America have much higher cases of heart worm, and i was told southern states was where you want to make really sure. We all want the best for our dogs it would be nice if the drug companies could make a one stop pest control for our dogs. Does anybody else do worming on a regular basis or just when it comes up? I am taking my dog to the vet today and i have a few new question. Thanks

Gregg