PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch NICE

todbartell
04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Trying to keep up with all the cool guys on HBC, I ordered myself a NICE frame w/ 6500 bag and a Load Sling. Couple RipZip pockets, a water bottle holder and a Flip top box.

Next year I think I'll add a CrewCab :-D

I couldn't find much negative stuff on the MR gear from all I read online in the past few days

Kraft Dinner and ketchup for lunch!

sheepaholic
04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I ordered the 6500 in Jan in optifade just waiting for it to be made and shipped all the reviews were good. Ive gone through a eberlestock and a badlands so hopefully this pack is as good as the reviews.

bigwhiteys
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
You will be happy with your pack!

Carl

kennyj
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm wondering how this pack is for hunting once you've unloaded all your camping gear?
kenny

frenchbar
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Trying to keep up with all the cool guys on HBC, I ordered myself a NICE frame w/ 6500 bag and a Load Sling. Couple RipZip pockets, a water bottle holder and a Flip top box.

Next year I think I'll add a CrewCab :-D

I couldn't find much negative stuff on the MR gear from all I read online in the past few days

Kraft Dinner and ketchup for lunch!
nice ..probably western family ketchup to boot...nice of ya to join us southerners in eating kraft dinner regularly lol

bigwhiteys
04-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering how this pack is for hunting once you've unloaded all your camping gear?
kenny
That's a good question... I find the outside pockets become useless once the bag is empty as you've got to strap everything down tight to prevent it from flopping around.... The spotter pocket for example. Once camp is setup most my gear goes into the main bag portion, and then I just strap the outside down tight. Small items can still go into the top two pockets as well.

When the bag is empty there are straps and buckles everywhere. They can all be rolled up and locked with their little velcro tabs but honestly it would take a guy 20 minutes to unravel it all each time you wanted into the pack... That's why I just cinch it down, tuck the straps in wherever and go.

Carl

pushbush
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Is there a system built into the pack to carry your rifle , or how do you carry your rifle on this pack.

kennyj
04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks Carl.
I'm due for a new pack and thats my dilemma. I like a smaller pack for hunting. Ive been useing a freighter to haul everything and strapping my badlands 2200 onto it for hunting once I get camp set up. I'm sure it adds a few pounds. I just can't decide what pack to buy.
kenny

Devilbear
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I have never found anything better and only Dan McHale's custom packs from Seattle are as good...a little better in adjustablity while moving, but, the fullon larger ones are 2x the cost of the NICE.

I have had better service from Dana Gleason's packs since 1978 that any others and while I agree with Carl, there is nothing out there that will suit me better than the NICE OK frame and 6500 bag. For a working guide, I would go with the 7500 bag, but, there are always "downsides" to really large packs and one needs to think about what you are going to do with one, before choosing.

I often carry a 75 lb. sack of sand on my Loadsling on my original NICE Frame, among the very first shipped to BC and even at my age, this is comfortable, which is was not with both Kifaru packs I had or my Bullpac and others were even worse.

Good choice, Mark, you will enjoy this and it will last a long time.

Devilbear
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I have posted this here many times since I introduced the MR NICE to HBC and rifle carry is easy. Buy a Kifaru Combat Gunbearer and a few top straps plus a LONG universal waist strap attachment. Put it on, play with it for awhile and find the "sweet spot" for YOU when carrying your rifle, works well and is not that expensive.

snareman1234
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Got my Nice 7500 a few days ago, really like it..

Takes a long time to get all adjusted, and if you dont have it adjusted right, it doesnt ride worth a sh*t

I am tall. so once I got the yoke lengthened up, the pack stopped pulling back on me so hard, and I only have to lean into it a little bit with a 60+lb pack,

I got it in the foliage color, I like it

Devilbear
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
That, IIRC, is what I told you to do when you PMed me, however, that is a VERY important point and good on ya for bringing it up. ALL packs o this type take some time to "break in" and sometimes you need to exchange a suspension part or adjust it again, after it molds to your body type. So, is you get one, take the time to load and adjust it until it feels good and this can take awhile, be patient and call MR for help if unsure.

The Hermit
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I am on the waitlist for one of the new KUIU Icon CF frames and pack. I had the MR with load sling and crewcab. It was okay but didn't all work together as well as I had hoped. I expect I'll end up taking a small modified day pack with lots of pockets along as well because I don't want to carry the big bag everywhere.

whitetailsheds
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
kenny

Hey Kenny, I know the Kodiak (internal frame) I've used since last year does me well as a larger daypack. Had no issues in terms of packing whatever I needed including my rifle in the side pocket and two side straps to secure it.
After the initial fitting and adjusting, I'm impressed with the Kodiak.
In terms of day pack use, I have now got a 3-Day Assault pack for that purpose, rather than the Kodiak.

kennyj
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Kenny, I know the Kodiak (internal frame) I've used since last year does me well as a larger daypack. Had no issues in terms of packing whatever I needed including my rifle in the side pocket and two side straps to secure it.
After the initial fitting and adjusting, I'm impressed with the Kodiak.
In terms of day pack use, I have now got a 3-Day Assault pack for that purpose, rather than the Kodiak.
Thanks for the info Grant.
kenny

BromBones
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I hear Bartell's got a Badlands OX for sale, $100, or trade for a pallet of Kraft Dinner! :)

gerrygoat
04-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TB, I have the Nice 6500 as well, you will love yours, it was easy to adjust to fit me. The 6500 was enough to pack out all my gear plus 1/2 of TSW's sheep last year and could have packed a whole sheep had we had a double header.

MattW
04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
That's a good question... I find the outside pockets become useless once the bag is empty as you've got to strap everything down tight to prevent it from flopping around.... The spotter pocket for example. Once camp is setup most my gear goes into the main bag portion, and then I just strap the outside down tight. Small items can still go into the top two pockets as well.

When the bag is empty there are straps and buckles everywhere. They can all be rolled up and locked with their little velcro tabs but honestly it would take a guy 20 minutes to unravel it all each time you wanted into the pack... That's why I just cinch it down, tuck the straps in wherever and go.

Carl

X2 what Carl said. I also think the rip zip pockets bartell ordered will be a better choice than the long pockets I've got which don't work at all well unless the pack is stuffed. With those off the pack though it works well for day hunting and really you want to have it along when you drop an animal. The daypack lid MR offers isn't much of a daypack for mountain hunting if you're considering that at all, it does ad some capacity to the total pack though which is nice but again doesn't work very well with the empty pack.

bigwhiteys
04-12-2011, 06:25 PM
The daypack lid MR offers isn't much of a daypack for mountain hunting if you're considering that at all, it does ad some capacity to the total pack though which is nice but again doesn't work very well with the empty pack.
I cut the backpack straps off my daypack lid and it lightened the pack up by about 3.5 oz :)

Carl

Devilbear
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
The new "Ripzips" are better, an indication of the continual search to improve his products so typical of Dana and I find the "Daypack Lid" to be indispensable on all my MR packs, this is where my firstaid and emerg. gear plus my hygiene gear ride and it is perfect for this and straps tightly to the empty bag below, once correctly adjusted.

I don't use my sidepockets for shorter trips, add them for longer ones and keep them inside a back pocket when I might want to add them and this works fine for me, I have them on my two NICE full rigs, my BDSB, my Deluxe, and have a spare Ripzip on my Crewcab as I like to keep stuff in the same place on all of my packs and thus always can grab a firstaid kit if I need it quickly.

Gus
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
That pack will be great for the one time you will use it to pack water jugs around the block

troutseeker
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
It's about time you get a pack like your son has!

todbartell
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
That pack will be great for the one time you will use it to pack water jugs around the block

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gateholio
04-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I use the lid pack in conjunction with the load hauler.

mark
04-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Why a load sling???? water bottle holder, and whats a flip top box???

kenny

Ive got the 7500 nice, I used it as a day pack nearly everyday last year, with no issues. It compacts nice and small!
I loose the lid all together for day pack use!

Is there a system built into the pack to carry your rifle , or how do you carry your rifle on this pack.

Kifaru gun bearer is awesome once ya get used to it!

Very comfortable pack, it can probably hold and haul more than you can!

MattW
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I cut the backpack straps off my daypack lid and it lightened the pack up by about 3.5 oz :)

Carl
I'd been thinking about doing that for next season

MattW
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
The new "Ripzips" are better, an indication of the continual search to improve his products so typical of Dana and I find the "Daypack Lid" to be indispensable on all my MR packs, this is where my firstaid and emerg. gear plus my hygiene gear ride and it is perfect for this and straps tightly to the empty bag below, once correctly adjusted.

I don't use my sidepockets for shorter trips, add them for longer ones and keep them inside a back pocket when I might want to add them and this works fine for me, I have them on my two NICE full rigs, my BDSB, my Deluxe, and have a spare Ripzip on my Crewcab as I like to keep stuff in the same place on all of my packs and thus always can grab a firstaid kit if I need it quickly.
I should say that I think the daypack lid is good, just not as a daypack. By itself it doesn't have space for a days worth of gear in the mountains (rain gear, food, spotter, first aid, survival gear, etc..) and for myself all that would wind up happening is I'd drop some animal half a days walk from spike camp and have to walk all the way back for a pack. I can get it strapped tightly to the empty pack just not on top of it, I guess that doesn't really matter.

snareman1234
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM

Carl

Mine are going to get the cut too, no way i'll be just taking that stacked fanny pac with me anywhere, and leaving the nice frame

TSW
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I added a water bottle holder to mine last year and I love it. It's not essential, but it is sure nice to have and it weighs next to nothing.

snareman1234
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I added a water bottle holder to mine last year and I love it. It's not essential, but it is sure nice to have and it weighs next to nothing.

What about the water bottle holder on either side of the pack?

TSW
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
What about the water bottle holder on either side of the pack?

Yeah, they work, but I often keep the butt of my rifle in one and strap my gun to my pack when going through brushy terrain (goat hunting etc). Also, I found that it was a pain to reach back for it with a full pack on--not bad taking it out, but getting it back in was a stretch. The water bottle holder put it that much closer (it's adjustable) and didn't cause any inconveniences. win/win imo

todbartell
04-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Why a load sling???? water bottle holder, and whats a flip top box???

A lot of times, most actually, I will be using this pack for half day hunts close to home where all I will need is a knife, gps, camera and some water. I plan on using just the frame, load sling, rip zip pocket or two and that's it. Water bottle pocket because there is none on the load sling, just the6500 bag.

luckynuts
04-13-2011, 07:21 AM
I found that it was a pain to reach back for it with a full pack on--not bad taking it out, but getting it back in was a stretch. The water bottle holder put it that much closer (it's adjustable) and didn't cause any inconveniences. win/win imo

I totally agree with you TSW. I too found using the side pockets for water bottles was a total pain. do you have the hip belt pockets on yours? I looked at the water bottle holder wasn't sure how much room I would have with the hip belt pockets. For now I clip my bottle on one of my pack straps.

Welcome to the club TB. Once set up you will enjoy it though I found it took some time to find the sweet spots.

W.

bigwhiteys
04-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah, they work, but I often keep the butt of my rifle in one and strap my gun to my pack when going through brushy terrain (goat hunting etc). Also, I found that it was a pain to reach back for it with a full pack on--not bad taking it out, but getting it back in was a stretch. The water bottle holder put it that much closer (it's adjustable) and didn't cause any inconveniences. win/win imo

Yep, I have the same issue, once the pack is full I don't have the mobility to put the water bottle back in. The water bottle pockets on the side are used to hold the butt of my rifle. I attach my Nalgene with a caribeener to the shoulder strap and push it behind the hip pockets... never know it's there.

Carl

luckynuts
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Yep, I have the same issue, once the pack is full I don't have the mobility to put the water bottle back in. The water bottle pockets on the side are used to hold the butt of my rifle. I attach my Nalgene with a caribeener to the shoulder strap and push it behind the hip pockets... never know it's there.

Carl

Same here!

W.

TSW
04-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I totally agree with you TSW. I too found using the side pockets for water bottles was a total pain. do you have the hip belt pockets on yours? I looked at the water bottle holder wasn't sure how much room I would have with the hip belt pockets. For now I clip my bottle on one of my pack straps.

Welcome to the club TB. Once set up you will enjoy it though I found it took some time to find the sweet spots.

W.

No I don't have pocketed hip belt, but from what I remember of the pocketed belt, there would still be plenty of room for a bottle carrier. I put the bottle carrier as far back on the waist belt as possible, and it's conveniently out of the way, but still easy to access.

snareman1234
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Here's a question, does everyone find they have to lean into their pack pretty good when loaded 60+ or can you pretty much just walk normally?

ThinAir
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Some guys will tell ya they can still do the 100 meter hurdles:)

I have a MR and they do pack weight well.... But 60 pounds is 60 pounds

TSW
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
In my experience (which is not exhaustive) I think the internal framed MR's carry closer to your back than the NICE frames do. Just an observation. Also, it probably depends a little bit on how you pack your bag, where you put the weight etc.

04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a MR Crew Cab and love it. I have owned a lot of packs, and find the MR to be the most versatile pack yet. It's also fairly comfy under load. I used it sheep hunting last year, and also packed-out 2 elk with it. Very well built packs and I am sure you'll be happy!

kennyj
04-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Do these packs have a water bladder pocket built in? Since hunting and hiking with a water line hanging at my side I'll never be without one.
kenny

bigwhiteys
04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Do these packs have a water bladder pocket built in? Since hunting and hiking with a water line hanging at my side I'll never be without one.
kenny
Yes they are ready for a water bladder and have provisions for the tube etc...

Carl

BCrams
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Here's a question, does everyone find they have to lean into their pack pretty good when loaded 60+ or can you pretty much just walk normally?

Lol .... I think we know the answer to that one already. You tried the Barney with sheep weight.

Now heavy is heavy but put yourself into actual terrain and actually on a hunt with the weight and the barney wins.

I see lots of leaning going on with 60 lb loads in photos. Could be an adjustment issue.

Versatality wise for multi purposes - I'd give the MR the nod. I only use the barney for sheep hunting and for sitting in camp to pack quarters of an elk out when required.

Thats just me though.

MountainHigh
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Lol ....
Now heavy is heavy but put yourself into actual terrain and actually on a hunt with the weight and the barney wins.

Having owned both a Barneys and a Mystery Ranch the Barneys stays in the closet all the time. The Barneys is big, heavy, and unwieldy when descending steep terrain. It reminds me of a glorified Camp Trails pack with really thick padding. Try picking your way down some cliffy chutes with that on and you'll know what I mean. Many guys I know have bought them and have been less then impressed. It is a solid built pack but falls short to a well adjusted Mystery Ranch.

You will love your pack...just get it set up right from the get-go.

mark
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Having owned both a Barneys and a Mystery Ranch the Barneys stays in the closet all the time. The Barneys is big, heavy, and unwieldy when descending steep terrain. It reminds me of a glorified Camp Trails pack with really thick padding. Try picking your way down some cliffy chutes with that on and you'll know what I mean. Many guys I know have bought them and have been less then impressed. It is a solid built pack but falls short to a well adjusted Mystery Ranch.

You will love your pack...just get it set up right from the get-go.

Ive only tried a barney for a short hike and agree, I actually found it to be quite uncomfortable with only 80 lbs in it.
While weight is weight, and it all sucks ya down, the nice frame is always comfortable on the body no matter how much you stuff in it!
And like rams said, the barney pack is only an option in open country hunts, would be hell in the bush IMO!

bigwhiteys
04-13-2011, 10:07 PM
There is this force called Gravity that no packs can overcome... Put 80lbs on your back and you will be leaning forward to compensate for the pull of gravity. Strengthening your core is about the only way to remedy the issue. If you are using hiking poles you probably won't notice it as much. Repacking the weight so the heavy stuff is in the middle and tight to your back can also make a bit of a difference.

Carl

snareman1234
04-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Yea I did some more adjusting today, and some weight shifting, gettin'r real dialed in now.

mark
04-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Yea I did some more adjusting today, and some weight shifting, gettin'r real dialed in now.

Wait till ya stuff 100+ lbs of meat in there!
Ive said this before, but my advise is, haul any meat 100% boneless. The boneless meat can shape to the frame, be strapped tightly, to prevent swaying side to side!
I know rattler from this site tried hauling elk quarters in his last year and was not too happy about it!

BCrams
04-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Pro's and con's with all packs!

One just needs to decide what they personally want in a pack for their hunt(s) to suit their needs. I prefer this style and have for years for the annual 2 week sheep hunt and it has suited me quite well so far.

For every guy that has hunted and packed sheep with a barney, there will always be a guy who likes the MR. I know some guys have made the switch from MR to Barney and I know guys who made the switch from Barney to a MR.

If you were to ask me if I take the Barney goat hunting - say out in the Skeena for a few days when they're in the cliffs - I take an old mountaineering style pack thats been kicking around for years. Perhaps the MR is just the ticket to fit that style for me. Or perhaps for bighorn hunting Spences for 3-5 days- I might find myself liking the MR over the Barney....

When it comes to 14 days Stone's sheep hunting - I'll grab that Barney without any hesitation.

As mentioned - gravity is gravity and there isn't a single pack out there that is immune.

whitetailsheds
04-14-2011, 07:30 AM
In my experience (which is not exhaustive) I think the internal framed MR's carry closer to your back than the NICE frames do. Just an observation. Also, it probably depends a little bit on how you pack your bag, where you put the weight etc.

There is a difference. But not much.
This was one of my concerns when looking into MR and the NICE system. MR indicated this difference was not enough that it would be noticed during packing.
And, I have not heard a single complaint from a NICE system user that the pack was out and off their back.
I went internal. Just to change it up.

snareman1234
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
It hauls sheds and rocks pretty good :P

sheephunterab
04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
There is a difference. But not much.
This was one of my concerns when looking into MR and the NICE system. MR indicated this difference was not enough that it would be noticed during packing.
And, I have not heard a single complaint from a NICE system user that the pack was out and off their back.
I went internal. Just to change it up.

I really waffled between the Nice and the Kodiak and borrowed a Nice for a while and I honestly prefer the Kodiak. For average loads it is more comfortable for me and even with big loads, it handles them well. When I spoke with the guys at MR, they suggested the internal frame for multi-day trips with average weight. The Nice does shine with big/dense loads but big loads are fairly rare for most mountain hunters. Both great packs but I'm glad I went internal. MR's best kept secret I'd say.

snareman1234
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I really waffled between the Nice and the Kodiak and borrowed a Nice for a while and I honestly prefer the Kodiak. For average loads it is more comfortable for me and even with big loads, it handles them well. When I spoke with the guys at MR, they suggested the internal frame for multi-day trips with average weight. The Nice does shine with big/dense loads but big loads are fairly rare for most mountain hunters. Both great packs but I'm glad I went internal. MR's best kept secret I'd say.

Why do you think they are fairly rare?

I plan on packing in with about 60lbs of gear, setting up camp, hunting with the pack pretty much empty, and then packing out 110 lbs :)

sheephunterab
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
LOL...as we all do but the truth is, we spend far more days with 60-70 pounds on our backs than 100 plus. Great when it happens but the truth of mountain hunting is that you walk a lot of days with moderate loads for every big load we carry.

snareman1234
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh ya thats for sure! have you had 100+ in your pack? how was it? which one do you have?

bigwhiteys
04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Clayton there is a lot to be said for beginners luck...! Nature rewards you with unreal opportunities sometimes... You just gotta show up!

Carl

snareman1234
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Clayton there is a lot to be said for beginners luck...! Nature rewards you with unreal opportunities sometimes... You just gotta show up!

Carl

Ha you bet! we'll be there, a sheep would be unreal! Im in it for the adventure and the country, if we lay one down that would just top it off.

sheephunterab
04-15-2011, 10:00 AM
We packed an elk out two years ago and my pack was 142 pounds on a scale. How was it....way too heavy but it held up well! I've packed a few loads in the 100 pound range with it and it's been very comfortable. I've got the MR Kodiak. No doubt the Nice is better suited to those big loads but for the majority of time the Kodiak fits my needs way better and it does a good job with the heavy stuff. There are compromises with everything we do and own.

Devilbear
04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
VERY few people will ever notice any actual difference between the internal frame MRs and the NICE system, this is not conjecture or "internet expertise", this is an opinion based on over 33 years of active use of Dana Gleason's packs, totaling eleven of my own and several others belonging to friends. The best way to choose is to use the model YOU find most comfortable with loads of 50-70 lbs and just try it with sandbags/waterbottles to 125ish and then decide.

I prefer the NICE 6500-Overkill frame for MY uses and have, as I posted, two complete rigs; there is not "better" pack made for heavyduty mountain hauling, IF repeat IF, you get it correctly fitted and adjusted for your body. That said, I will always choose an internal for long treks packing heavy loads and my MR BDSB, the first and slightly more rigid framed version of the Kodiak, is my "go to" pack and one I would never part with.

I agree with TJ aka SHA, here, there most certainly ARE the compromises he speaks of in ANY item of gear one can obtain and the most productive manner of choosing an item, is to research those and then choose based on which aspects of a given pack, tent or whatever best suits your uses in your area.

todbartell
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
well, ordered Monday morning and still no Visa charge or email sent to confirm order.........how long does it usually take with MR? They guy there said it should all be ready to go right now

Slee
04-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Our dragon slayer MR packs were shipped a day after ordering it, but took almost two weeks to clear customs.....

Elkaddict
04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
When I ordered mine they told me they should be able to ship it the next day, but it took two or three to get it on it's way. Not sure why.

pnbrock
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
should have it shipped to ship happens or other po box so no extra shipping charges.

Elkaddict
04-16-2011, 10:38 PM
should have it shipped to ship happens or other po box so no extra shipping charges.

Funny thing is, because MR has employees in Washington anything they ship to Washington has to be taxed. It was actually cheaper to have my stuff shipped to Canada with no tax than it was to have it shipped to Sumas and be charged Washington State tax. In hindsight I should have spent the extra 10 or so bucks and picked up the pack in less than a week. Instead I saved myself 10 bucks and waited over a week, like Slee, for the pack to clear customs. My pack didn't make it in time for my first hunt of the season.:icon_frow

todbartell
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
they are sending mine USPS it was $50 cheaper than Fedex. I don't need the pack for another month but it'd be nice to see one in person LOL

pnbrock
04-16-2011, 10:52 PM
do you pay brokerage fees with usps?

killman
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
well, ordered Monday morning and still no Visa charge or email sent to confirm order.........how long does it usually take with MR? They guy there said it should all be ready to go right now

Relax. It takes time for good service. You know that!

todbartell
04-16-2011, 11:00 PM
do you pay brokerage fees with usps?

just HST and a $8 handling charge, much less than Fedex brokerage

300mag
04-17-2011, 05:55 AM
I am thinking about ordering a MR Pack. I assume there is duty to be paid on the pack ? Or is that all included in the shipping???

Elkaddict
04-17-2011, 06:45 AM
I am thinking about ordering a MR Pack. I assume there is duty to be paid on the pack ? Or is that all included in the shipping???

No duty IIRC, just HST when i crosses the border, and that is between you and the gov'ment. MR's shipping costs to Canada are very reasonable.

bigwhiteys
04-17-2011, 07:06 AM
No duty on North American made products. Just HST and sometimes that is hit-and-miss with USPS as well... Sometimes they charge it, other times they don't! I've got packages that should have had taxes levied that had nothing.

Carl

snareman1234
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Yea I got taxed, and TB, my pack took a little while, as did the cost to show up on my visa, I was thinking I was going to get it for free for awhile...which would've beat the heck out of what eventually showed up on my visa :P

whitetailsheds
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
LOL...as we all do but the truth is, we spend far more days with 60-70 pounds on our backs than 100 plus. Great when it happens but the truth of mountain hunting is that you walk a lot of days with moderate loads for every big load we carry.

That there is the TRUTH!

todbartell
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
well it's been 16 business days and it still hasn't shipped from MR. Pretty dissapointing considering everything was in stock. :(

Elkaddict
05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
well it's been 16 business days and it still hasn't shipped from MR. Pretty dissapointing considering everything was in stock. :(

Seems out of character for MR. Have you called and asked why??

todbartell
05-02-2011, 08:54 PM
called twice for an update and emailed once. Last week they said it should leave this week. Took them a week to answer the email. Really busy I guess!

killman
05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Should have got it from OSFS the guy there has great customer service.

troutseeker
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
In all likelyhood not everything was in stock. They go through lot's of gear and are sometimes waiting for the manufacturing side to catch up... Call them up, tell them you really wanted it for your spring bear hunt, maybe they'll throw in a hat or a sticker...

TSW
05-02-2011, 11:51 PM
They would for sure throw something in like a hat. That is really weird that they said it was in stock but then didn't ship it... I just had another great experience with them and had kind of the opposite problem. I ordered a new hip belt and was told it would ship out in 4-5 business days. A couple days later I thought of something else I wanted them to add to my order, but when I called it was already too late as it had shipped out almost immediately! You want me to call them? Guess you'll just have to wait a little longer to be cool ;)

todbartell
05-02-2011, 11:54 PM
bought a ten pack of KD today on sale for $7.98. You can't beat that kind of cool :D

TSW
05-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Say no more my friend, say no more!

todbartell
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/45950_10150267106670473_571190472_14343677_602424_ n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/14251_353327870012_782550012_10049049_5105952_n.jp g

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/14251_353323195012_782550012_10049023_9904_n.jpg

todbartell
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I've never been so happy to see a $900+ charge on my Visa :mrgreen:

Apr 29, 2011 MYSTERY RANCH BOZEMAN MT
949.00 USD @ .9773 927.55

huntcoop
05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
If anyone is going to the sidewalk sale let me know!

todbartell
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
What did you order besides the 6500?

Load sling and a couple RipZip pockets

Mountain Hunter
05-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Ordered my NICE crewcab, water bottle holder, daypack lid, and flip top box May 1st, they e-mailed back May 2nd with my Sales Order and stated that "crewcabs were out of stock and it will be 4-6 weeks before shipping".

Good thing I ordered early, something to think about if you plan on ordering anything from them in July or August and expecting it make it up here before Sept 1st.

sheepaholic
05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Just got an email from MR my optifade 6500 will be shipped by monday

todbartell
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
it showed up today. Sure has alot of buckles and straps! :mrgreen:

sheepaholic
05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
How long did it take to get here after they shipped it

todbartell
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
6 business days via Postal service (not UPS)

TSW
05-06-2011, 04:56 PM
One can only assume that pictures are imminent.

Weatherby Fan
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Hey TB could you post a few pictures of that new pack ?
Thanks
WF

TSW
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Hence the 10lbs! It all seems light when the versatility kicks in!

todbartell
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
loaded it up with 30 lbs, sure felt good. No complaints so far. Put 6km on it tonight

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0112.jpg

RipZip pockets
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0113.jpg

Flip top box
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0114.jpg

Extra bottle pocket
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0115.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0118.jpg

Gateholio
05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
You are premier......

buford19
05-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I want one.

Weatherby Fan
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Awesome thanks for the pictures TB-guess I'm on the phone to Bozeman,Montana !

BCLongshot
05-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Very nice

I'm buyin 1 just because my HERO did.

It's that simple for me. :-D

ytlogger
05-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Load her up and let's hear the review!

bigwhiteys
05-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Your dog photo bombed the MR. I like the looks of the fliptops. I think I might order one up for my Camera.

Carl

kuiu
05-07-2011, 08:00 AM

What does that thing weigh in at with the rip zips, flip top, bottle pocket, and pocketed waist belt? It has to be over 11lbs.....

Can I ask a silly question???? If you felt the 6500 was lacking so much that you felt the need to add all that exrtra stuff on it, why did you get it? Why not get the 7500 instead?

snareman1234
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Ya Kuiu, I ordered the 7500, for awhile I thought it was going to be excessive. But now that I have loaded all my sheep gear into it and had a real good look at it, I would think the 6500 might be pretty squishy with a ram in it. I guess the food is gone, and the tent can go outside though, on the 6500.

mark
05-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Starting to look a little bulky with all that extra stuff hanging off it!
Why the rip zip pockets???
I doubt most people could even carry the pack when loaded to its max capacity!
Ive had my pack weigh 135 lbs (mostly meat) and had lots of room left!

The only time that one will "truly appreciate" owning one of these packs, is when you have to pack out a very heavy load!!!! The comfort of the harness, and the piece of mind that it wont fall apart (when it feels like it should) makes it worth every penny!

Close to 120 lbs in this pic with tons of room to spare!!! (7500 bag)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/../photos/data/500/medium/my_2010_elk_020_Small_.jpg (javascript:;)

TSW
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Looks like a wicked set up. I like all the options on it. You might not always use them all, but it's great that you have the option. Those extra pockets just make a few other things that much more accessible! My sheep hunting partner has the 6500 and loved it for packing out a ram last year. Now you can put on some km's and walk off all that KD! :)

Gateholio
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
back when we all used external frame packs, they used to have lots of side pouches that were handy for carrying your odds and ends. Then you could keep your food, clothes, sleeping bag and other bulky stuff in the main compartment. I always liked this aspect of the frame packs, even when only partially loaded. Along came the internal frame packs and they were basically just one big bag with a top pouch. So you ended up putting most of your stuff in the main bag and had to load, unload your pack if you wanted to get at the stuff near the bottom. Sure, you could plan it out (rain gear on top, lunch underneath, etc etc) but it wasn't a perfect system. Adding side pouches like the Rip Zip (Which look much better than my MR side pockets, BTW) Makes organizing a pack easier, for minimal weight gain. Even when not fully loaded.

What does that thing weigh in at with the rip zips, flip top, bottle pocket, and pocketed waist belt? It has to be over 11lbs.....

13 oz more than the 6500 + NICE, which is 9.5 lbs.

BromBones
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm curious about one thing one these packs, as I've seen a number of MR pics as this one with the load lifter straps looking exactly like this, even coming back to the load almost horizontal -

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/ursusarctos/abc.jpg

Is that not awkward carrying a load with the lifter straps stretched out that much and in that position?

I know everyone has their own adjustments they prefer, but to me they should be anchored at or near the highest point of the shoulder straps, and come up at a steep angle so that when tightened, they pull the top of the pack closer, and elevate the shoulder straps slightly to take that pressure off the tops of your shoulders/traps.

Is there enough adjustment there to fine tune that? I'd assume yes, but I've seen enough pics similar to this with these packs that it's got me wondering if the harness system allows for a little different setup than I'm used to.

whitetailsheds
05-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Those load lifter straps are like a piece of heaven with a heavy load. Suck them babies tight, and it's "one" with your body.....dreamy!

Alpine85
05-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Ya Kuiu, I ordered the 7500, for awhile I thought it was going to be excessive. But now that I have loaded all my sheep gear into it and had a real good look at it, I would think the 6500 might be pretty squishy with a ram in it. I guess the food is gone, and the tent can go outside though, on the 6500.

Clayton, do yourself a favour and get a compression sack for all your clothes in your pack. I do the same with all my food, its suprising how much space 14 mtn house acutally take up.

todbartell
05-08-2011, 10:49 AM

9.75 lbs empty

todbartell
05-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Can I ask a silly question???? If you felt the 6500 was lacking so much that you felt the need to add all that exrtra stuff on it, why did you get it? Why not get the 7500 instead?

All I read on the MR 6500's is that they will hold as much stuff as you could possibly carry. Sounded good to me

Starting to look a little bulky with all that extra stuff hanging off it!
Why the rip zip pockets???

this is the main reason I wanted the RipZips

this likely will be the configuration the pack will be in for most of my hunts

Inside Ripzips I have : Rain jacket, knife. Flip top box has rangefinder and digi cam. Side pockets on waistbelt have headlamp and hunting license. Bottle pocket on the waist belt too

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0119.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0120.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0121.jpg

Kody94
05-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Love it!!!

pnbrock
05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
thats funny right there!!!! bartell i will be going past your place at end of month ,could run a food drive in the lml so you can eat a little better.after all most of us has asked you a question or two.

killman
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
thats funny right there!!!! bartell i will be going past your place at end of month ,could run a food drive in the lml so you can eat a little better.after all most of us has asked you a question or two.

Don't let him fool you. I seen him at the gun show this weekend. He's not starving.........................:mrgreen:

troutseeker
05-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I can send you some ketchup, it's free at McD's...

TSW
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Now that's what I call carb-loading!!

Weatherby Fan
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Anyone who has bought MR Pack probably can`t afford groceries,I have some food I can donate also,pnbrock lets set up at the Costco in Langley 10am Saturday and get the TB food drive underway !

willy442
05-12-2011, 09:39 AM
All I read on the MR 6500's is that they will hold as much stuff as you could possibly carry. Sounded good to me

this is the main reason I wanted the RipZips

this likely will be the configuration the pack will be in for most of my hunts

Inside Ripzips I have : Rain jacket, knife. Flip top box has rangefinder and digi cam. Side pockets on waistbelt have headlamp and hunting license. Bottle pocket on the waist belt too

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Mystery%20Ranch/IMG_0120.jpg

Mr Bartell; Just a quick word of advice for your hunt this fall. CLOSE THE FLAP OVER YOUR FOOD OF CHOICE. That stuff is sought after by many a hunter on this site. If you expect any privacy at all on your up coming hunt, you must keep the KD concealed. If you are going to travel showing it off like you are in the photo. Expect FD, SSS, BC Rams, Jagermister, Canuckshooter, GG and a few others to be following, not far behind. These KD lovers are blinded by thier love of this stuff. Thier stumbling along blindly looking for the blue rimmed box is sure to have a negative effect on your hunt.:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Mr Bartell; Just a quick word of advice for your hunt this fall. CLOSE THE FLAP OVER YOUR FOOD OF CHOICE. That stuff is sought after by many a hunter on this site. If you expect any privacy at all on your up coming hunt, you must keep the KD concealed. If you are going to travel showing it off like you are in the photo. Expect FD, SSS, BC Rams, Jagermister, Canuckshooter, GG and a few others to be following, not far behind. These KD lovers are blinded by thier love of this stuff. Thier stumbling along blindly looking for the blue rimmed box is sure to have a negative effect on your hunt.:-D

Down here in the "deep south" we order KD by the pallet. Much cheaper that way.

Plus, we can fit more KD in a Barney than an MR.:-P

SSS

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Well, in order to know just how much of anything one can backpack in either a Barney or a MR, one has to get off one's ass, get out of the air-conditioned 4x4 and actually go backpack hunting. I know this because I carry a pack almost every day and have backpacked all over BC starting in 1956, as a boy of 10. So, anyone who is a REAL mountain hunter and mountainman, like many of we Kootenay boys, has to suck it up and tote that bale...or, maybe be consider a puzzy from the flatlands of the Peace country......probably a jelly donut eater, too.......

Nathaniel Poe
05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
, maybe be consider a puzzy from the flatlands of the Peace country......probably a jelly donut eater, too.......

Jelly donuts are probably on the menu, but what really gets him going is the distilled grease special in FSJ LOL!!!!

http://www.humptys.com/images/humptysheaderlogo.gif

LOL!!

willy442
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Jelly donuts are probably on the menu, but what really gets him going is the distilled grease special in FSJ LOL!!!!

LOL!!

Isn't that an Alberta chain?

willy442
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, in order to know just how much of anything one can backpack in either a Barney or a MR, one has to get off one's ass, get out of the air-conditioned 4x4 and actually go backpack hunting. I know this because I carry a pack almost every day and have backpacked all over BC starting in 1956, as a boy of 10. So, anyone who is a REAL mountain hunter and mountainman, like many of we Kootenay boys, has to suck it up and tote that bale...or, maybe be consider a puzzy from the flatlands of the Peace country......probably a jelly donut eater, too.......

There's no yellow strip down the legs of my pants. Only those not cowboy enough to catch and ride a horse walk. I'm surprised your family never figured that out with as many years as they've been in Canada. The indians did.

Nathaniel Poe
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Isn't that an Alberta chain?

It sure is, but there is one in FSJ, which I am sure you are aware of. LOL! I bet you have a map of the Alberta locations stowed in your glove box! LOL!

willy442
05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
It sure is, but there is one in FSJ, which I am sure you are aware of. LOL! I bet you have a map of the Alberta locations stowed in your glove box! LOL!

No! I spend so much time in camps working eating that food. I tend to stay away from greasy spoons.
I think Bartells post is hilarious though.

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Well, my uncle was a member of the RCMP, stationed in Alberta, in the '50s and he dealt will all kinds, maybe even some of your relatives since you are really a "prairie boy" and not a mountainman. I would like to see you ride a horse in the Kootenay RM Goat or BH Sheep country near my hometown, better put crampons on the horseshoes and learn to hang on real tight.

BTW, Spanish explorers and traders, among the first "white" people to bring civilization to North America, when the Norse colonies had finally gone back to Iceland and Norway after some 500 years here, brought the horse with them as the indians did not even have the wheel or know how to build a simple cart from all of the abundant wood around them...........

"Willy the Jelly Donut Eater", "Prince of the Peace Country Truck Hunters"!!!! HA!!!! :)

willy442
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Well, my uncle was a member of the RCMP, stationed in Alberta, in the '50s and he dealt will all kinds, maybe even some of your relatives since you are really a "prairie boy" and not a mountainman. I would like to see you ride a horse in the Kootenay RM Goat or BH Sheep country near my hometown, better put crampons on the horseshoes and learn to hang on real tight.

BTW, Spanish explorers and traders, among the first "white" people to bring civilization to North America, when the Norse colonies had finally gone back to Iceland and Norway after some 500 years here, brought the horse with them as the indians did not even have the wheel or know how to build a simple cart from all of the abundant wood around them...........

"Willy the Jelly Donut Eater", "Prince of the Peace Country Truck Hunters"!!!! HA!!!! :)

Hunting from the comfort of my 2011 F-350 King Ranch. I'd love it if I still hunted. Fortunately, I no longer feel the need to witness the clown acting of the great white Kraft Dinner eater. It takes place every fall now in the peace, why a person could darn near sell tickets to the show.

I also know many people that use horses in the Kootenay region. Not saying they ride them up the mountains, but it's sure nice to set afoot from the bottom of the hill instead of 20 miles back.

Also I have never lived a day as a resident of the prairies. You always seemed confused on these issue's. Try some tomatoes in with your KD. I've heard it refreshes old worn out minds and memory.

Weatherby Fan
05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

By da vay Devilbear my Uncle Ragnar from Norway was here many moons ago,long before most,brought over da first Huqvarna from Sweden,de ver using da Trapper Nielson,according to our family history de didn't care for de Kraft Dinner dat todbartel has introduced to de far north in da peace country
:mrgreen:

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Ya, Ya, my great-great oncle Peter Updahl fra Molde kom here too, dat time, und bilt da CPR with all dem udder Skvarehead Skandahoovians and dats why I like to eat da vrollmops wit my KD, keeps da flies avay, ya!

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Willy, NOBODY rides horses in the Kootenay country I mentioned and not in the areas north of Stewart, where I worked alone in the mountains for months at a time, when you were still in grade school and your old man was putting J'OC in his well-deserved place. Gawd, I would have paid to see that!

The Peace country IS the prairies to real mountain people, flat, hot in summer, cold in winter and with about the worst bugs anywhere. Flat is flat, call it what you will and horses are OK for you younger dudes who never could/did climb mountains to feast on good freezedried grub or even jerky.

I guess the GOs are responsible to the clown show, seeing as how they supposedly pioneered hunting in the Peace country, eh?

hellojello74
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
LETS NOT RUIN A GOOD THREAD HERE WITH LOTS OF GOOD INFO?

To add something has anyone tried using a MR Nice, lets say 6500 or crew cab while riding a horse, does it sit too low? high? to cumbersome to handle the horse well? That is using the horses to get to where you want to backpack from....

willy442
05-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Willy, NOBODY rides horses in the Kootenay country I mentioned and not in the areas north of Stewart, where I worked alone in the mountains for months at a time, when you were still in grade school and your old man was putting J'OC in his well-deserved place. Gawd, I would have paid to see that!

The Peace country IS the prairies to real mountain people, flat, hot in summer, cold in winter and with about the worst bugs anywhere. Flat is flat, call it what you will and horses are OK for you younger dudes who never could/did climb mountains to feast on good freezedried grub or even jerky.

I guess the GOs are responsible to the clown show, seeing as how they supposedly pioneered hunting in the Peace country, eh?

Actually I spent most of my life at Muncho Lake, which as you know is in the heart of the Rockies. Far from the prairie you speak of. Also in actual fact you are only a couple years older than myself. I guided my first Stone Sheep at 16, you were probably still being brainwashed about being Canada's oldest white family.
I don't know to many outfits that hunt around the gong show from down south.
I agree with Jello 74. The humour of Bartells KD photo as passed and I'm not about to spend my time arguing with a miserable old man.

Weatherby Fan
05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey Devilbear,
since were talking MR Packs would you recomend the 6500 or 7500 bag,just curious if you think the 6500 has enough space for extended trips 10-14 days
as we were worried we couldn't squeeze enough KD in the 6500 ??
WF

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 05:28 PM
No, Willy "Chief Sheep Poobah", I was supervising large BCFS crews in various BC locales and teaching people silvicultural techniques and fire fighting, when you started guiding. As to your comments about my family and age, well, considering the source, I will just not engage in further banter which I intended as simple fun.....I should have known better as we have seen here in the past. I do notice, though, that your age seems to change with various posts and sometimes you show your "true colours" more obviously than others.

To the query on the MR packs, as I introduced them to this forum and have been backpacking with Dana Gleason's packs for 33 years; I am not much of a horseman, but, I have done a few horsepack trips and into some very rugged country in the Chilcotin and northern BC. My feeling, based on wearing a pack on a horse, is that the MR packs have much too large and bulky a waistbelt for comfort in this use and would chafe your midsection badly in any longer ride in rough terrain.

The 6500 NICE combo, my pick as THE most versatile pack I have ever seen or used and that encompasses a lot of packs, is very likely to "over-balance" one if worn on horseback and this could lead to some serious problems. I would suggest obtaining something like the old Karrimore rucksacks with thin shoulder straps and no waistbelt that we used climbing and ski-mountaineering in the Kootenays and these will carry all the emerg. gear one needs on horseback and
still not be too bulky for riding. One can then carry it folded and rolled inside your 6500, leave it in camp or whatever, but, I will not wear a waistbelted pack on a horse, JMHO.

If, versatility is your main concern in a pack, the 6500 will do anything that any human is capable of doing and will probably last longer than any pack you have ever seen. I put a 90 lb. bag of sand in mine and walk away with it and in comfort, which is a pretty good indication of just how fine a design this really is. HTH.

Just saw the last and would say that if I were guiding, as I was asked to do by a number of GOs until I was in my forties, I would choose the 7500, but, therer MAY be, for SOME people, even strong guys, a bit of a balance issue with a pack this large, so, all in all, I think the 6500 the best for most people.

troutseeker
05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Why don't you two hornery buggers take it up via PM'S. I'm getting kinda tired of your tirades... Bragards...

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I think that you have slightly missed my point here as I quite clearly withdrew from any confrontation. I realize that humour differs between individuals, as do many other human characteristics, not least of which is innate intelligence. This is so obvious with some posts and there is little one can really do about such problems, hence, my last comment to Willy.

If, you do not want to read a given post(s), why not just pass it by and read only those that interest you and/or those that you enjoy? It seems to me, that this approach would be far less stressful for you ( and anyone, me included) than fretting about what another member posts; it certainly is far more respectful of the site rules and fellow members than calling them pejorative terms and thus behaving exactly as you pretend to dislike. JMHO.

MidnightRun
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Why don't you two hornery buggers take it up via PM'S. I'm getting kinda tired of your tirades... Bragards...

hornery ?......is that like angry sex?

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
:) :) :) :) !!!

troutseeker
05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
hornery ?......is that like angry sex?

Their courtship sure seems on the nasty side. But they sure can repeat themselves...
I talk to Dana every single day and have yet to hear about Kutenay...

Gateholio
05-12-2011, 11:08 PM

LOL!!

Oh man, that is priceless. :)

I forgot about it until now, but now I recall talking to a Northern guide at a WSSoBC AGM about 6 years ago and he mentioned Willy's diner of choice!

KD eaters in the south and a Humpty chumper in the north. Hilarious........

;)

thepitchedlink
07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey guys great thread....can any one tell me if I want to order a Kifaru Gunbearer for my MR Crew cab...which one to get. I have the pockets on my hip belt...so I'm wondering if there is enough room for the combat GLB to fit, or do I just get the Universal Long. The Combat one looks a little stiffer. i'm not at home now so I don't have the pack in front of me to look at. thanks

todbartell
07-17-2011, 11:44 PM
been packing 50-60 lbs in the 6500 lately, it's a dream

KodiakHntr
07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey guys great thread....can any one tell me if I want to order a Kifaru Gunbearer for my MR Crew cab...which one to get. I have the pockets on my hip belt...so I'm wondering if there is enough room for the combat GLB to fit, or do I just get the Universal Long. The Combat one looks a little stiffer. i'm not at home now so I don't have the pack in front of me to look at. thanks

I use a universal on my MR's, and it works well. Didn't look at the combat version, just went Universal right out of the gate. And I have pockets on my belt as well.

Backcountry archer
07-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Kuiu is getting some great reviews and under 5 pounds too.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/icon-6000-review/

Weatherby Fan
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Well I finally got to put my MR Nice frame and Wolf bag to the test this last week,had 30lbs in it and put about 25 kilometers in and man is it comfortable,
I never felt like I had a pack on for hours at a time,the material is a little noisy when trying to sneak around in the thick shit chasing deer,but not as noisy as the external aluminum frame pack(Cabelas Alaskan Guide) but not as quiet as my fleece daypack.

I really like the water bottle holders on the sides of the bag,handy until you try to put the water back in with the pack on !
I also like the zipper in the center of the bag for access as you don't have to go through the top.

The top pocket's or pack cover just clips on so I removed them for the few days I was out,there is enough buckles and clips on this pack to keep any man busy as to what there all there for ???

Spent a morning in the rain with my son dragging his 1st Mule deer buck out while wearing the pack and it's easy to work with it on,The Wolf bag is a good size for a few days or as a daypack but would need a larger bag for extended trips.
I would have to say it's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

Just get one you'll be very happy and comfortable :)
WF
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/LoonLaeOct2011018.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/LoonLaeOct2011005.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/LoonLaeOct2011003.jpg

TSW
10-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I really like the water bottle holders on the sides of the bag,handy until you try to put the water back in with the pack on !

Do yourself a favor and get a water bottle carrier from Mystery Ranch. It's around $15 and makes it easy to get the bottle in and out of the pocket, while still being totally out of the way. I bought one to try and LOVE it. It weighs almost nothing too.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/bottle-pocket

snareman1234
10-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Packed 100+lbs of mule deer and camp and gun last friday with mine, worked like a charm, frame is soo strong, all the weight was right on my hips, just snugged up the shoulder straps and 2.5hrs later we were at the truck!

Weatherby Fan
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Do yourself a favor and get a water bottle carrier from Mystery Ranch. It's around $15 and makes it easy to get the bottle in and out of the pocket, while still being totally out of the way. I bought one to try and LOVE it. It weighs almost nothing too.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/bottle-pocket

Thanks TSW that looks handy,it's ordered !
WF

troutseeker
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Packed 100+lbs of mule deer and camp and gun last friday with mine, worked like a charm, frame is soo strong, all the weight was right on my hips, just snugged up the shoulder straps and 2.5hrs later we were at the truck!

Yeah, but you're a young buck! Older pharts like me can sure feel a 140 pound load on my back, lol. Did you post a picture of that buck yet?

todbartell
10-06-2011, 11:08 PM
water bottle pocket is a great addition to the waist belt

did 17km hike into goat camp w/ 65 lbs in the MR6500. Couldn't of asked for any better performance from the pack

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/319981_10150328551562992_512917991_8167918_7347271 56_n.jpg

snareman1234
10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but you're a young buck! Older pharts like me can sure feel a 140 pound load on my back, lol. Did you post a picture of that buck yet?

No, wasnt my buck, buddy and I were hunting, I may have turned a 140 buck into a 170, so we dumped it, and he changed back into a 140

REMINGTON JIM
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Thats a pretty big load for a guy 92 years old ! LOL

Weatherby Fan
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Thats a pretty big load for a guy 92 years old ! LOL

It's no Problem with a MR Nice frame even at 92 those packs will make you feel like your 40 again !

BCbillies
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
did 17km hike into goat camp w/ 65 lbs in the MR6500. Couldn't of asked for any better performance from the pack

Those are sheep hunting distances . . . you sure you had to go that deep? :razz:

snareman1234
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
water bottle pocket is a great addition to the waist belt

Lol yeap thats deep, and did you get one?

REMINGTON JIM
10-14-2011, 07:28 PM
It's no Problem with a MR Nice frame even at 92 those packs will make you feel like your 40 again !
I know what your sayin but i don't even think a 20 year blonde could make me feel 40 again ! :cry: LOL

todbartell
10-14-2011, 07:30 PM
nope didn't get one but seen lots, just out of reach. Next time I'll bring my gyrocopter :mrgreen:

Weatherby Fan
10-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I know what your sayin but i don't even think a 20 year blonde could make me feel 40 again ! :cry: LOL

LMAO a 20 yr old Blonde could kill a guy,but dam I'll die trying :mrgreen: