PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Contest Team #2

bcbrez
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Ok, Team #2 this is your page to post pictures, scores and anything else you want to talk about between your selves. As a team you have to come up with a team name. Get one person to PM me with the name.

Remeber to post a picture along with the score of your bird here and on the 2011 Spring Turkey Contest Scores thread.
Here is the link to the NWTF scoring calculator - http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html)

Team score: 169.5

Long beards 'n' limb hangers members;

shallowH2O 52.125
SHAKER
triggr31 58.5
Braggadoe
Nickroth89 58.875
Uraarchr

braggadoe
04-12-2011, 05:19 AM
good luck everyone!! have a great spring out there, can't wait to see some pics

shallowH2O
04-12-2011, 06:01 AM
morning all, just about to pull out of the driveway here up north, heading south couple days early to take a look around. looking forward to friday morning

SHAKER
04-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Cool, havn't met any of you guys. Lets get some long beards happening!

braggadoe
04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
right on shaker! nice work on the strutter. great job!! how bout "long beards 'n' limb hangers" for our name?

SHAKER
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
right on shaker! nice work on the strutter. great job!! how bout "long beards 'n' limb hangers" for our name?

I'm cool with it if everyone else is OK. Pm me with where abouts your head'n.

uraarchr
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a good name .Good luck guys.I'm probably headin down towards GF in a couple wks.No idea where .I saw a turkey once when I was drivin to spring fish the Kettle.I'll start there.

OutWest
04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been able to get on here much lately as Uni is taking up a lot of my time at the moment. This will be the first year ever that I'm unable to make it out for the Opener. I will still be putting lots of time in and do my best to come through with another Longbeard!

OutWest
04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Love the team name by the way and good luck to everyone!

SHAKER
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Same from here, lets get at'r boys!

shallowH2O
04-16-2011, 06:16 AM
love the name! got in late last night from opening day. it was a success! will post up pictures and scores asap!

braggadoe
04-16-2011, 06:11 PM
hey long beards/limbhangers, and all the other turkey lovers!

it was a great opener. made it down to camp thursday afternoon, got camp set up and had one shock gobble to my owl about 500 yards from camp. it was a long sleepless night, listening to the rain and snow. went out way too early but it was worth it as at first light people where every where. to make a long story short.....i missed. yup a 25 yard shot that i've made 100 times in my back yard this winter. excited i guess and just blew it, bummer. nice stutter with a double beard

then my girlfriend showed up to bring my favourite slate that i forgot at home. so my hunting ended and she killed the double bearded bird i had missed the day before. heading back out on wed. hopefully it will be warmer and a few less road hunters.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/braggadoe/DSC_0003-2.jpg

looks like some sweet birds have been downed! great job everyone! actually i'm very happy my season didn't end in the first few hours. i get to go again.

huntwriter
04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Congratulations braggadoe that is one nice mature bird your girlfriend got there.

braggadoe
04-16-2011, 07:00 PM
thanks huntwriter, she is pretty proud of it. her arm is still numb from her shotgun, it looks like a two year old to me. it's to bad i didn't pull the beards out from under it for the pic. one was about 8 inches and the other was about half as long, like a jake's. i wonder how to score a double bearded turkey for the contest? just measure the longest i guess.

shallowH2O
04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
well team. looks like were off to a great start. 2 so far. Heres a photo of mine
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208788_10150153481286876_581486875_7088895_2604846 _n.jpg

bcbrez
04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Congrats on the bird and nice pic. For scoring multiple birds go to the nwtf website under scoring and it will tell you.

huntwriter
04-16-2011, 08:10 PM
@ Braggadoe: According to the official standard all beards are measured separately and then added together and entered as one measurement. Example: One beard measures 8 inches and the second a 1/2 inch = total length of 8 1/2 inches.

ShallowH20: Congratulations on a nice tom. Bowhunting turkeys is a very special challenge, quite possible the most difficult to accomplish.

shallowH2O
04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
@ Braggadoe: According to the official standard all beards are measured separately and then added together and entered as one measurement. Example: One beard measures 8 inches and the second a 1/2 inch = total length of 8 1/2 inches.

ShallowH20: Congratulations on a nice tom. Bowhunting turkeys is a very special challenge, quite possible the most difficult to accomplish.
thanks huntwriter. it was my first go and a quite challenging first time. will definetly be down for many years to come. I may have just found a new addiction!

braggadoe
04-17-2011, 04:30 AM
congrats shallow h20, i'm trying to get one with my long bow. i bageled last year, missed 3 times and now have missed once this year. been practising all winter but i just get to excited....love it!! great job on the bow kill!! puts the hunt in hunting doesn't it.

bcbrez
04-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Great job shallowH2O, thanks for sharing it with us.

uraarchr
04-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Nice birds guys and gals! hopefully get out nxt wknd try and spy me up a bird!

braggadoe
04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
great job trigg!! nice bird with your hunting buddy at your side.

SHAKER
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Well put a few days in.... didn't have any wanting to commit to a load of #6's. I could have boomed a jake the yesterday morning but it wasn't going to score good so I let him walk. Seemed a little tough to get them old boys "in the mood" but I'm head'n back soon. Stay tuned!

shallowH2O
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
nice meeting you up there shaker. good luck on the second go a round. I got mine top of the loop above your camp. there were three others about the same size with it!

SHAKER
04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah their was a bunch around.... I was hunt'n harder on foot then then cover'n ground when things got tough. I'm also loose'n some extra weight on the next tour.... he's a really nice guy but not real steathly. It was a good time though and ready to get serious about drop'n the hammer. To the you other team members that turned loose, great job team!

triggr31
04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice work team .i was just getting ready to give up sat about 430 when all of a sudden the woods lit up with clucking and gobbled back and the birds went crazy . two toms came straight for me and the rest was history . I had my family to share the hunt with which means everything to me http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/triggr29/th_ChadKeeganTurkey20112.jpg?t=1303281820
(http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/triggr29/?action=view&current=ChadKeeganTurkey20112.jpg)
(http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/triggr29/?action=view&current=ChadKeeganTurkey20112.jpg)

OutWest
05-05-2011, 06:04 AM
That's a nice looking Tom, triggr! Heading out after work today until Sunday. Hopefully I can knock a bird down. Will have the video camera with me as well so hopefully I get some good footage for you guys!

OutWest
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Well guys I had an incredible morning! There was a first time turkey hunter accompanying me. We had 3 gobblers going at us right from the roost a few hundred yards away. I began hen calling and he came charging in. The Tom put a great show on for us as he strutted around our decoys. The plan was for my friend to shoot but things just didn't work out that way. I traded him the video camera for the shotgun and made the close shot after over 10 minutes of footage! Hes a nice looking Tom. Not my biggest but the beard is 7-8 inches with spurs that are just shy of an inch. We're here for a few more days so I will post pics and official measurements/score on Sunday.

uraarchr
05-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much Shaker and Braggadoe for the info.and all the all the others that post info.Sat morning my son and I headed down to hunt turkeys.We saw some on the way down and back up.We didnt see any turkeys while hunting sat and sun morn:but saw some while driving.sunday afternoon we went for a walk and were headed back to truck.I would box call occasionally and my son was getting good with the "egg" doing purrs and yelps.prob 200 yds from truck we stopped to rest and called.we got a gobble prob over 100 yds or so.we ran forward 30 yds and set up decoy and moved back.

uraarchr
05-06-2011, 06:52 PM
we got replies when we called and the gobbles got closer.there were gobbles coming from 3 sides of us we had one gobble from 30 yds or so but the brush was very thick we could hear the hens talking too.about then my son had to relieve himself, so that was done and everything went quiet.It got dark soon and we tried a few crow calls in different areas with no audible responses.The next morning we set up the blind in the same spot and and got gobbles right away.we could hear the whole flock coming closer a gobbler came to within 15 feet behind the thick bushes and gobbled.uh oh nature call again.after that everything went quiet.we waited a while and then did a bit of scouting seeing a lot of whitetails.Being w my son and having a gobbler come in so close was so awesome.Better than if I had actually harvested one while alone.Thanks again guys for the info.we had a blast shooting our bows in camp and the young feller is now a crack shot with his pellet gun.Hope to get out one more time.Good luck to all

braggadoe
05-07-2011, 02:44 AM
right on archer! your son will remember that for as long as he lives! i remember the first turkey my grandfather called in for me, i screwed it up by moving when he could see me, lesson learned. i killed i nice long beard a few days later. it was 1988 i remember it like it was yesterday. he died a few years ago and i cry even now when i'm in the turkey woods and start thinking about him. years after i killed my first bird he said that he wished that he never took me turkey hunting as i've quit many jobs and lost a few girl friends in the pursuit of turkeys. my favourite times in my life where turkey hunting with him. man'o'man i miss him! got to go, birds will be gobbling at 5:15. hope you get out again!

uraarchr
05-07-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm alone with the kids this wknd :wifes out of town .The baby is only 16 months so I can't get out .I'm on call next wknd so thats out.Unless I can talk someone into taking my on-call for next Sat.Thanks to the info I got I was into turkeys first time ever really hunting them.Theyre kinka like elk:very vocal and a blast to hunt.What a rush when theyre haulin in gobbling!!hopefully next contest I can contribute w some scores.

SHAKER
05-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Sorry team... Looks like I've let you down. I hunted from Sunday evening till Wednesday noon and only heard 3 birds the whole time! I did call one into 8 feet but the dirty bugger came in on the side of me and caught me a little off guard. When I let him walk past I couldn't find him again till he hit the roost. I hang my head in shame guys but looks like the rest of you are doing pretty good!

OutWest
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Well fellas here's a couple pics. I didn't have my camera with me so I had to take pictures in another spot when I went to clean the bird up. It was very steep where I shot him and he took a nasty tumble down the hill breaking a lot of tale feathers. I have ordered another USB chord for my video camera and boy do I have some great footage to share! He was a little nicer than I originally thought, having a 9 inch beard and close to 1 inch spurs makes him my second largest Tom to date. Having a first time turkey hunter and great friend with me was awesome, I only wish he could have taken the shot. Enough rambling, here is my beat up Tom after a nasty fall as well as a couple extras.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Turkey_2011.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Turkey_2011_-_3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Turkey_2011_-_2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Turkey_2011_-_4.jpg

Weight - 24lbs
Beard - 9.0
Right Spur - .8125
Left Spur - .8750
Score - 58.875

huntwriter
05-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Great bird. Always nice to see hunters shooting mature toms. Congratulation on the bird and for taking a new hunter out.

bcbrez
05-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Nice bird guys, congrats. Make sure you post it on the 2011 Spring Turkey Contest Scores (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?65902-2011-Spring-Turkey-Contest-Scores) thread and I'll update the score. Looks like team 2 is way out front now.

braggadoe
05-10-2011, 06:51 AM
great job nr89! great pics

uraarchr
05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm on call this weekend so I can only hunt turkeys close to Vernon.Just over an hour drive maybe.I've heard of rumors of turkeys around here(Vernon/ Kelowna/Westside area).Weekend before last I went down south towards the border :but I can't this weekend.If anyone can help me in a PM that'd be great.If not that's fine .theres fall turkey and the next spring and so on.Last kick at the can maybe?Love to get one with my bow!

shallowH2O
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
nice work nr89.

bcbrez
05-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Congrats Team #2 (Long beards 'n' limb hangers), you are this years Spring Turkey Contest Champs.

bcbrez
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok the contest has come to an end and the prizes have been awarded. Check out the 2011 Spring Turkey Contest Scores (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?65902-2011-Spring-Turkey-Contest-Scores) thread to see who got what.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. See you next year.
BCBrez.