PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly hunt within 1 month from departure!!!!

sakofinnlight
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Well I can proudly say that this is my first year applying for a Grizzly tag and I was successful, my draw is for region 6-16 and parts of 6-14, I will be going with a good friend and hunting partner who grew up in this area and has hunted it with very succesful results for black bear and locating many grizzlies in this MU. My gun of choice is going to be my recently purchased Sako in 300 Win mag and will be shooting 180gr barnes tripple shock. I have done a some black bear hunting in the past but never even put my sights on a Grizz. We will be leaving for the hunt on May 9th and there for 1 full week :) Our origional plan was to go to this area and enjoy being able to hunt for record Black Bears before we go out for our Mulies in the fall but since I have acquired this LEH both species of bear will be targeted. Any tips or suggestions will defintaly be put to use in hope to harvesting my first Grizz.

--Sako--

Caribou_lou
04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
What zone are you hunting?

blaker_99
04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Focus on south facing slopes, green grass and foliage. Don't rush your shot wait for a broadside opportunity even if you have to sit and watch for a bit. Also be aware of family units. Cubs tend to sit back a bit in the tree line while momma bear checks open hillsides out. Look for a mature, big melloned bear. Youll know its the bear when you first lay eyes on it. Also be aware of the terain between you and the bear as bears fall in some pretty ugly spots and once hes down theres not much option of moving him to an open slope. God luck bud and be aware at all times.

gutpile
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
i think may 9th would be to early imo

Caribou_lou
04-11-2011, 06:58 PM
i think may 9th would be to early imo

This year it may be too early, but I shot my Grizzly May 10th north of Kitwanga in region 6. As long as there is some green grass you will find them!

sakofinnlight
04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Im hoping this warm weather brings the bears out. I have heard that grizzlies come out of then den earlier than Black Bears generally, is this generally ture?

BCbillies
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
He would have zone 6-16B. The zone goes right to the coast so the bears will be out. Even to the east the bears will be coming out . . .your timing should be just about right.

It's not so warm out right now. Snowed in Kitimat today and the snowline in Terrace is right low. IMHO a few grizz come out earlier and they are typically the big boars. On the coast (flats) the grizz will be coming out shortly.

sakofinnlight
04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys, Im honestly not 100% sure where we will be hunting, I have never been up in that area at all, but my hunting partner grew up there and his dad still lives near so they will be the guides for both Blacks and the Grizz. Fingers crossed there isnt still a foot of snow on the backroads up there.

Shade Tree
04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
That could very well be an issue. It just takes one slide across the road, or shady spot to stop you dead in your tracks. That said, I have seen grizzlies where the was still lots of snow and the only green was way down the valley. You have to put some time in, also. I plan on spending two weeks this season trying. Good luck to ya.

BromBones
04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
You'll be fine for timing. We've always gone up late April/early May (further north of your draw), in years of both heavy and light snowfall. Always see & kill bears.

One thing I can tell you from experience spotting/stalking bears at high elevation,is unless the terrain allows you to make a stalk and keep the bear in sight, wait until he beds down for the afternoon before going after him. Trying to put a stalk on a feeding bear in steep, broken terrain is most often a waste of time. You can get your landmarks spot on, but often you're looking at a 3 hour + hike, and a feeding bear can be miles away by the time you reach the general area where he 'was'. It's easy to do when you've spotted a big bear and are gung-ho to go after him.

Often they'll bed down around lunch time or early afternoon, and from there you've usually got until 5-6pm, sometimes later if it's very hot, until they wander out for a feed. Get the bear spotted and wait for him to bed down, and then make a move. Also, don't be scared to be up glassing the slopes at first light as often that'll get you more action with the big, mature boars. They're crafty old critters and don't stick their face out too often during the day if they can help it.

houndsman
04-12-2011, 07:21 AM
take snow shoos .watch fore rubed bears as alot of cost griz rub in there dens.

srupp
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
hmmm coastal bears much earlier..usually May 5th-ish...interior bears this year last 2 weeks of the season..

this year coastal add a week..May 12th.....very little greenup will force bears onto south facing slopes..steep...slides...and keep them working it...in some areas they will HAVE to wander to get enough food..first out are the BIG BOYZ...straight down to the fiddleheads and skunk cabbage,,,,, will need some water..

WATCH you winds...AND THERMALS...up-down air currents....keep your shots over 70 yards and under 150 yards..take out that front shoulder...

Everythying seems fine..HOWEVER I would recomend 200 grain Barnes TSX in that 300....dont want the typical..180 will do it..yes why yes it will...IMO 200 are much better for this type of hunting..

If you would like to chat regarding what to look for in trophy bears..ie shoot dont shoot...send me aPM with aph # and I will call...

cheers..and good luck...

steven

sakofinnlight
04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys :) now all I can do is wait a few more weeks and hope bears start moving soon up there, this cold spring is kinda worrysome. I will be sure to try and find a big old boar that will provide me with a clean shot, as I nor my hunting parters want to be chasing a hit grizzly around in the dense bush. I will be sure to update on this sight with pics and stories of my first northen black bear and grizzly hunt!! Good luck to all others looking for bears this spring!!!

-Sako-