PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to B.C.s World Record Elk, the Arrowhead Bull?

Jelvis
07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
deleted -----------------

mark
07-27-2006, 04:27 PM
i heard the crown seized it from the guy who found it. its on display somewhere i think????

dana
07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
It is owned by the Province Of BC and has been touring making money for Conservation projects within the province.

CNE
07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Here it ishttp://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/images/imagesRecords/wr_aent.jpgSCORE: 465 2/8 LOCATION: Upper Arrow Lake, BC HUNTER: Picked Up OWNER: B.C. Environment DATE: 1994 KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Length of main beam: Right 49 2/8 - Left 46 3/8
Inside spread: 51 1/8
Circ. of smallest place between 1st & 2nd points: Right 8 5/8 - Left 8 6/8
Number of ponts: Right 9 - Left 11

Brambles
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
There are replica sets in quite a few places, not sure where the originals are. I've seen the replica's and it is truely a monster

30-06
07-27-2006, 05:39 PM
monster elk thats for sure

Bushman
07-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Here's a little something I dug up on the Arrowhead Bull. The following is a quote from page 6 of the December 31, 2003 BC Outdoors special Hunting and Shooting edition:

"Legend Lives On

When the wildlife branch dragged the carcass of a bull elk from the waters of the Arrow Lakes nine years ago, little did they know they possessed the new world record non-typical elk. Nor did they realize the mounted head would generate more than $15,000 for elk habitat improvements in BC.
The elk, believed to have lived near the old community of Arrowhead and thus named the “Arrowhead Bull,” was found dead near Shelter Bay ferry landing on the north end of Arrow Lakes, 48 kilometres south of Revelstoke. A number of animals have died trying to swim the bay in the past and the Arrowhead Bull may have suffered the same fate.
Elk herds in the Arrow Lakes area have, since their introduction in the 1950s and again in the 1970s, been managed for quality rather than quantity. Limited Entry Hunting is used to control the harvest of bull elk, which allowed some bulls to reach 10 years of age or more. Many 400-class bull elk found in North America are aged nine to 15 years old.
As news spread that the Arrowhead Bull, which scored 479 points, was the new World Record, interest in the great bull soared. Roger Selner’s Trophy Show Production of Livingston, MT recognized the value of the trophy bull and approached the province of BC about using the head mount.
In 1999, the province entered into a two-year contract with Selner to use the antlers on tour for a fixed fee of $15,000 US. The majority of money, $10,000 US, was transferred to the former Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks for elk habitat improvements. The balance was used to offset contract administration costs.
The province entered into an agreement in 2000 with Scott Lennard of Frontier Studios, Libby, MT, giving him the right to create bronze copies of the Arrowhead Bull. Lennard is required to pay on gross sales of the bronze artwork. The sculptures cost $4,200 US and to date the sale of seven one-quarter-scale bronze sculptures has generated $1,260 US for the province.
The original mounted head is in storage at the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection in Nelson, BC, but a cast was made from the original antlers and a mounted head is currently on display at the Revelstoke Community Centre.

— Ron Kerr"

Brambles
07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
The original mounted head is in storage at the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection in Nelson, BC, but a cast was made from the original antlers and a mounted head is currently on display at the Revelstoke Community Centre.

— Ron Kerr"

How funny is that, I guess I have seen both the replicas and the originals then. In storage my ass, that mount is on the wall in the office. I seen it last year when I was doing a fire inspection in their office.

dana
07-27-2006, 09:10 PM
So how do you store your mounts Brambles? Hanging them up on a wall might be a good way to store them don't ya think?

steveo32
07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
What a brute!!! Dana lighten up on brambles you dont need to be hated your whole life

I am now leaving north on saturday night so the scouting trip is out of my time frame so i guess it is just up to you and matt now!

steve

dana
07-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Post up stuff without thinkin and you better expect a jackass comment from dana. :) :)

Steve,
Best of luck to ya on your Stone hunt and your guiding season. Can't wait to see the pics when you get back. I'll try to tie up at least one dink 200 incher for ya. ;)

Brambles
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Storage to me implies that its crated up in the warehouse, locked away for no one to enjoy. I don't store my mounts, I display them.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ernaehrung/food-smiley-018.gif

Come on Dana, your really grasping at straws here, blacksheep!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-004.gif

dana
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm just pokin the ol' stick is all. :) If not being uptight like all of the wannabees means I'm a blacksheep, so be it. I at least enjoy myself. :) Life is too short to be pissed off at everyone and anything that doesn't fit your preconceived notions of reality. It's obvious to me that many hunters in BC are so insecure that they would never survive around my campfire. ;)

Brambles
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm just pokin the ol' stick is all. If not being uptight like all of the wannabees means I'm a blacksheep, so be it. I at least enjoy myself. Life is too short to be pissed off at everyone and anything that doesn't fit your preconceived notions of reality. It's obvious to me that many hunters in BC are so insecure that they would never survive around my campfire.
I know you were just pokin:smile:, I was just pokin back, you didn't piss me off one little bit. I think we sorted this all out on Huntshoot you and I, now I know the type of sense of humor you have everything is cool:mrgreen:

In my line of work you have to have a thick skin everyone is razzing eveyone and some good jokes get pulled. I wouldn't have a problem surviving your campfire.;-)

Anyways, I'm headed out sheep scouting for the weekend so have a pop and relax eh!!!:grin:

Brambles

dana
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Brambles,
I was refering to the current membership of HS. The majority definately don't know how to get those panties untied now do they? You tell someone to Lighten Up and Have a Pop and you get the boot. There is no doubt they need to get laid more often. ;)

Elkhound
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Brambles,
I was refering to the current membership of HS. The majority definately don't know how to get those panties untied now do they? You tell someone to Lighten Up and Have a Pop and you get the boot. There is no doubt they need to get laid more often. ;)

I am always up for getting laid more often:wink:

dana
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Elkhound,
I think many on that other board haven't been laid for a very, very long time. I guess if I was in that same situation maybe I would be uptight too. ;)

Will
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
...many on that other board haven't been laid for a very, very long time. I guess if I was in that same situation maybe I would be uptight too. ;)
Farm Animals don't count Dana...........:rolleyes:
:wink:
Love that #1 Elk though...Wow !
Anyone know what the #2 scores ?
I'm curious....:???:

Mrs.Elkhound
07-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I am always up for getting laid more often:wink:

What:eek: 7, 8x a week is not enough for you Elkhound!!!!
MORE, MORE, MORE that's Elkhound for you!!!!!
I know, toooo much info!:mrgreen:

Husky7mm
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Haa haa. Should have called him poonhound!
Anyways wasnt that elk WOUNDED before it died?

3kills
07-28-2006, 10:32 PM
What:eek: 7, 8x a week is not enough for you Elkhound!!!!
MORE, MORE, MORE that's Elkhound for you!!!!!
I know, toooo much info!:mrgreen:

thats it no wonder he complains i get it 7-8x's a week :)

sawmill
07-29-2006, 06:39 AM
W T F happened to the thread?I know the guy who found that elk ,washed up on the shore.He and a buddy were fishing when they spotted it and to this day he wishes he had`nt called the C.O`s He has photo`s of it as it lay on the shore when they found it.Any other rack and he could have got a ten $ permit and took it home.

300H&H
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey Ya'll
Here is some more info, maybe !
One of my old (past) clients said he was hunting above the area the elk was found at/near when this big bull stood up looked at him, he looked back & saw it was huge. He had enough time to take a fair look at the rack. He shot 1 time & the bull was off running straight down hill. He spent hours looking for him but the trail ran out. He came back later to look but no luck. When I showed him the news paper pic. he said that it was the same bull !!! I have no reason to doubt him or the story. Maybe he should have emptied his clip. A hard lesson learned.

tangozulu
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
B.C.s our own, found drowned in the Upper Arrow Lake. scored 465-2/8 net. Some one offers over 50 g's for it but where is it now, I mean it belongs to B.C. Someone tell me it"s in B.C. please. Jel

Who cares...................for a few 10 thousand dollar bills you can bump off a bigger one in Saskatchewan. They even fence them in so you can miss the first few shots.
:-P

Jelvis
08-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Jelvis
07-25-2008, 02:29 PM

happygilmore
07-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I think it's BS that they can take it from the guy, the animal is dead he wasn't involved in it's death, let him keep it. So if you find a pair of sheds that would make the new world record whitetail is the ministry going to claim them? I'm glad it was able to generate money for the elk but the way I see it that trophy was stollen. Ministry should have to ask the guy if he would be willing to donate or loan it to them, not sieze. my.2$

Jelvis
07-25-2008, 03:17 PM
-----------------------

Ehv
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
So apparently the mounted replica in Revelstoke is not really on display as they claim but is actually in storage.

Fisher-Dude
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it's BS that they can take it from the guy, the animal is dead he wasn't involved in it's death, let him keep it. So if you find a pair of sheds that would make the new world record whitetail is the ministry going to claim them? I'm glad it was able to generate money for the elk but the way I see it that trophy was stollen. Ministry should have to ask the guy if he would be willing to donate or loan it to them, not sieze. my.2$

All game animals are property of the Crown. The door would be open for much abuse if it weren't so, IMO. "Yeah, I just picked up this dead ram from Kamloops Lake that scores 195 and is worth $250,000 in the US. I found it, so I should get to keep it". Nope, I don't think so.

Sheds, you can keep, so no, the MoE won't seize them.

KodiakHntr
07-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Ya'll
Here is some more info, maybe !
One of my old (past) clients said he was hunting above the area the elk was found at/near when this big bull stood up looked at him, he looked back & saw it was huge. He had enough time to take a fair look at the rack. He shot 1 time & the bull was off running straight down hill. He spent hours looking for him but the trail ran out. He came back later to look but no luck. When I showed him the news paper pic. he said that it was the same bull !!! I have no reason to doubt him or the story. Maybe he should have emptied his clip. A hard lesson learned.

Be even harder lesson learned should that be true....Considering the bull was found in August...And there wasn't a season on elk around the lake at that time......

KodiakHntr
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
And for that matter, there was a lot more behind the scenes going on with the guy that found it....Like after word leaked out just how big it was and the local CO's wanted to look at it he told them it had been cut up for belt buckles and crib boards....Seems to me that it might maybe be a little bit illegal to lie to a CO, no?

07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I too have heard stories surrounding said beast, in fact if what l heard/seen is correct it was one of our local taxidermists who mounted this particular rack and it hung in his studio for a while. Also adding along the lines of what KodiakHntr mentioned, l was told the reason we now have to obtain 10 dollar permits for road kill originated from circumstances similar to this elk story.

Grizz59
07-25-2008, 05:14 PM
As past president of the Revelstoke Rod and Gun Club i can tell you that the mounted replica is on display at our local community centre always has been always will be.I know the co who investigated the finding of this elk and all i will say is the person who found it wasn't as forethcoming about the whole deal as he should have been.That is why he wasn't given a permit.My best friends father in law had the chance to fish it out of the water a couple days earlier but didn't think it was worth the bother.As for the huntiing story about the guy who shot at it I hope that was from the previous season as the bull was found in the lake before the hunting season opened.Just a side note,a local from Revelstoke found this bull's sheds from the previous year and had no problem keeping them and yes they are listaed as the world record sheds.

tracker
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Only another month or so to WAIT for elk season ,and this thread opens up,sure is going to be a long month now...... gone scouting for elk ,later:biggrin:

Brambles
07-25-2008, 10:28 PM
The Nelson Rod and Gun Club also has a replica mount, seen him there a few weeks ago.

hunter1947
07-26-2008, 05:49 AM
I would be happy to get a bull that was 80 points lower in score then the arrow bull.

Does anyone know if the arrow bull is the world record bull of all times ,I think his score is up around 456 ??.

This bull had to pass his jean pool on and I would love to find his son this hutting season :mrgreen:.

Spitzer
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I would be happy to get a bull that was 80 points lower in score then the arrow bull.

Does anyone know if the arrow bull is the world record bull of all times ,I think his score is up around 456 ??.

This bull had to pass his jean pool on and I would love to find his son this hutting season :mrgreen:.

If you were lucky enough to win the 100/1 draw you just might get that chance. Hard winter last year and numerous wolves knocked the numbers down drastically.

Brambles
07-26-2008, 08:35 AM

He is currently the B&C world record bull at 465 2/8, of course some of those farmed elk get bigger but so would I if I was cranked out on steroids and hi-protein.

ryanb
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Was this bull found on the west side or east side of the lake? Why is the 4-31 draw such good odds if this bull came from around there?

KodiakHntr
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Really tough country to hunt....Not your atypical elk country at all.

Kody94
07-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I see this is an old thread, so this might not be news, but as I understand it, the original rack has been part of the RMEF World Record Elk tour for a few years now.

Cheers,
4ster

GoatGuy
07-27-2008, 07:59 AM
As past president of the Revelstoke Rod and Gun Club i can tell you that the mounted replica is on display at our local community centre always has been always will be.I know the co who investigated the finding of this elk and all i will say is the person who found it wasn't as forethcoming about the whole deal as he should have been.That is why he wasn't given a permit.My best friends father in law had the chance to fish it out of the water a couple days earlier but didn't think it was worth the bother.As for the huntiing story about the guy who shot at it I hope that was from the previous season as the bull was found in the lake before the hunting season opened.Just a side note,a local from Revelstoke found this bull's sheds from the previous year and had no problem keeping them and yes they are listaed as the world record sheds.

That's the long and the short of it. I know the CO quite well. Always two sides to every story.

Nalidixic
07-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I believe the world record elk is on display at the Recreation Center "pool" in Revelstoke.

Nalid

eastkoot
07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
The skull plate was fiberglassed to re-enforce it. An awesome set of antlers for sure.. That is the unknown comic holding them Chucky, Chucky Chucky!!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/thegang0036.jpg

ryanb
07-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't suppose anyone know where his sheds were found eh? :razz:

Jelvis
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Jelvis
09-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Jelvis
02-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Jelvis
03-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Jelvis
08-06-2010, 03:31 PM

BCJunior
08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
thats sorta small......
im not kiddin

ye i am...

hardnocks
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I did some heli falling above beaten in the late 90s and their where a couple of monsters their.
My friend ownes a couple hundred acres by whiskey point its right by arrowhead . I have logged on his place a few times it was about 02 i saw a real monster. So their might be one bigger in them hills .

Jelvis
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Jelvis
05-17-2013, 01:40 PM

kennyj
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
For the Arrow lakes crowd, some info on large bull elk.
Jel
Lets hear it Jel.
kenny

Liveforthehunt
01-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Insane ... I searched it online and this came up I was just at the lumby big buck contest a young fellow shot a 393 3/8 with his bow new bc record ... 7x8 if I'm not mistaken beautiful animal

Dannybuoy
01-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Insane ... I searched it online and this came up I was just at the lumby big buck contest a young fellow shot a 393 3/8 with his bow new bc record ... 7x8 if I'm not mistaken beautiful animal

You are not mistaken ......

Liveforthehunt
01-17-2015, 09:54 PM
You are not mistaken ......
We're you the lucky guy that shot it ?

Bugle M In
01-17-2015, 10:46 PM
gots some pics of that??

pg83
01-18-2015, 06:50 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?113421-pope-and-young-elk-record-for-BC

Scroll down on first page of this thread

Dannybuoy
01-18-2015, 09:28 AM
We're you the lucky guy that shot it ?

No , It wasn't I . I wasn't trying to give that impression ! Good friends son arrowed that monster !