PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tent advice please.

Duck Tales
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Well this year the boys and I have decided to all pay into a wall tent. The advice we are seeking is the size. Their will be 4 of us (1 cot each) and a stove and a little extra room gear and stuff. We will most likely buy from Deluxe, we were looking at the 14x16, is this size ok for our needs? and is the pourch as good of an idea as it sounds. Any advice or input would be greatly apretiated.

wicket
04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
if nothing else make sure u get 5 foot walls, i have a 12x14x5 and with 3 people stove and equipe its non too big.....im thinking the tent u are looking at with a porch seems like a great choice

Marc
04-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Contact Perry himself from Deluxe wall tents, his user name on the site is Perry. I'm sure he'd be glad to give you any advice you need when it comes to tent recommendations. Not only does he make a great tent, but he also hunts out of them as well.

Have you entered into the big tent giveaway draw?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?64489-2011-annual-Deluxe-Wall-tent-Giveaway!

Kody94
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
14x16x5 will be OK for 4 guys. If you have bunks, the 12x14x5 would be OK too, but 14x16 will be more comfortable for that many guys either way....specially if you get some weather and are hanging out in there and drying stuff around the stove.

ryanhuntslots
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
4 of us have a 14X16X5 and you will need the porch. with the stove going and all our cots, allot of our gear goes in tote boxes and is out side under a tarp

Coyote
04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
The porch is a great idea. Add a front with a door to the porch and now you have a two room tent. The porch serves as a kitchen. The woodstove will keep it all toasty.

'yote

ydouask
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, as noted above 14'x16' with 5' walls will be comfy for four. BTW, ordering such a beautiful tent from Deluxe Wall Tents without a porch should be an indictable offense !

sheephunterab
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I really like my Deluxe tent. I'd say a porch is a must and if weight isn't an issue, the aluminum frame makes set up a breeze. I can set mine up in 20 minutes by myself. Perry is a great guy to deal with.

Dannybuoy
04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I bought a 14 x 16 from Deluxe as well , lots of room for 4 cots , a wood stove , and we set one of those picnic tables up in the center
to eat at and play cards etc . Im didnt get the porch but it would be a great addition to store stuff and maybe the kitchen . We set up one of those cosco 10 x 10 pop up shelters for our kitchen .

Riverratz
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
YUP, as others have said....14X16X5 with frame, and the porch & frame is the way to go. Having the kitchen and some extra storage space right outside the door is real handy.
If your budget allows, get the model with the side/end windows and the front door with mosquito net and zip-up front door. In warmer weather, (and on smelly nights), you will appreciate the ventilation.
Don't forget a huge tarp to cover it.....big enough to cover the entire tent and have about 3-5 ft. of overhang all around. It keeps the rain well away from the walls and from seeping underneath.
Also some cheapo tarps for the floor, beats walking around on the dirt.
Pay special attention to the care and storage and you'll have many years of happy camping.

BCBear
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
a couple of tips from my few wall tent experiences. a few 2x4's lengths thrown in the back of the truck will fit nicely right on top of that "L" lip where the tent meets the ground and keeps things just a little tighter on windy nights. Princess Auto has canvas tarps that make a great floor. x2 on the windows if you can afford it. almost forgot goalie bags seem to be a good size for wall tent paraphenelia.

2x4x16
04-11-2011, 07:29 AM
X2 on the porch - I think that it is just as use full as the space inside. We use ours for the cooking stove and food storage.
We have 12x15 inside measurement plus the 5 foot porch. Its great for 3 guys, a 14x16 is better for 4.
We have never used a floor, sometimes bring a carpet scrap by your cot. But its nice to walk in boots on and not worry about tracking in the crap.

The Hermit
04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
14x16x5 with a 5 or better 10' porch will be awesome for your needs. Get the windows and a double screened door too! Check www.VantagePoint-Outfitters.com (another site sponsor) for great deals on top quality, made in Sidney BC wall tents and frames! Our prices, quality, and service will impress!