PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the Deer...whats best

Darksith
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I've taken my new trail cam out into the woods and set it up with a salt lick and a 50lb bag of oats. Hopefully this draws all the deer to it and I have some great pictures to share.

What do you guys use for feed to attract the deer? Is there something tastier than oats?

elkdom
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I dont knowwhat attracts them to my back yard ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but once they get there,,,

I feed several dozen deer, plus many moose, for about 6 months each winter,

50 pounds of crushed oats and barley lasts less than 2 days when several deer are feeding at it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

KB90
04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Bears love oats.

ThinAir
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I know finding something that the deer like and the bears DON'T is a challenge!

I would probably stick with salt. If a bear claims a stache of food, he sometimes keeps the deer at bay.

BromBones
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Apples and salt.

Split the apples and throw them in a bag, and toss in a cup or two of salt. Shake it all up and dump it out where you want it. Works really well.

sparkes3
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
150 grain boolits out of a 270

knighthunter
04-10-2011, 06:33 PM
When I used to feed deer back on the prairie's, I always found "wheat" was liked more than oat's by deer.

BiG Boar
04-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I would personally do a variety as they are attracted to different things at different time of the year. Just a thought.

Gunner Staal
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I have tried many combos and C.O.B. works the best for me. Its Corn, Oats and Barley rolled in Molasses!!!! MMmmmmmm. Its like crack cocaine for deer. I buy it at buckerfields for about 10 bux per 50lbs. Cheap and convenient. The salt licks seem to attract moose like crazy in the summer time. Ive had cow moose who lie on them and wont leave for hours on end. Thats my two cents. COB all the way.

Jelvis
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Try corn on the cob with butter and salt, or buttered popcorn with real movie theater butter.
Jp .. mmmmmmm gooood .. trophy sized bucks dig it .. :-D

Darksith
04-11-2011, 05:55 AM
thanks guys, I don't care if I attract a bear or moose, they all make good pics this time of year. My camera is in a spot that I can't hunt come the fall, so Im not really scouting yet, its a bit early to get into some of my favorite spots still.

buckshot
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
They like roses but tulips is deer's favorite food!

houndsman
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
A mineral & salt block in the summer will get you picks of most of your bucks.the bucks will need the minerals till thay shed there velvet.then you wont see them till you start feeding. dont start feeding them till there is snow or till the bears are gone to bed .a bale of alfa spred out with oats or cob mixed in .put your bate with your salt . mules take longer to get on to feeding then wt deer as arule there not used to that kind of feed .if you put out feed to erly & the bears get on it thay wont leave ,thay are a pain in the ass.

dave_fras
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
cracked corn!!! by far!!!!

hunter1947
04-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I have tried all different kinds of feed and what I have found out is that the barley ,corn and wheat mix worked the best for me I started baiting the first of Aug right on till the 23 of Nov.

This trail cam picture is a WT buck that had come in for the does that had been feeding on my trail mix all fall long I new that soon when the rut kicked in that the does would attract a few bucks ,this picture of this WT buck on the trail camera was shot about 4 hours latter right in my camp ,the person that shot this buck is sleeping in the camper in the back ground..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_11021.jpg