PDA

View Full Version : NAP Apache/Trophy Ridge V5 Combo

M@B
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
So last year I went out and bought my first Compound bow. I purchased the Bowtech Sniper Package. All in all I was very happy with this bow set-up. Though after a while I wanted to upgrade the components, as the factory chosen "hostage" components seemed quite low end compared to the bow they were mounted to.
So after a little research I settled on the NAP Apache drop away rest, and the Trophy Ridge V5 sight.

The Apache Rest seems to be very well made and the "toolless" adjustment makes set up really easy. It's very quiet(I find it to be more quiet than the hostage wisker) and solid when it drops(doesn't seem to bounce at all)

The trophy Ride V5 sight has the pins mounted verticaly with allan key micro adjustment for each pin. Just a simple turn of the key and the pins moves up or down. No need to loosen, move, tighten. just turn and done.
the pin's are also tiny compared to the old Hostage, meaning that I can actually see what I'm shooting at past 30 yards. which is pretty nice!

Now, I don't know if it's just a placebo effect or not but my grouping have tightened up conciderably. at 55 yards I broke the nocks off of two of my other arrows already in the target. 6 arrows at 55 yards, 4 shafts were touching and the other two were with in 3-4 inches. Before this upgrade I would have been happy with that group at 20 yards.

Maybe I'm just shooting better? But, I think the combination of tiny pins and nothing touching the arrow after I hit the trigger has made my bow a tack pusher!

So, all in all I'm very happy with this new set up, and would recommend these products to anyone.

Just thought that would share.
Regards, Matt.

Bow Walker
04-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Good review Matt. That arrow rest looks very well made and a dream to adjust. Setup looks so easy, even I could do it. Great containment of the arrow and the rest already comes with padding so it should be nice and quiet should your arrow get off the launcher. All in all, I totally agree with you about that recommendation.

I already use a TR V5 sight. I'm partial to that vertical alignment of the pins - always have been since my first 3-pin, plastic TR sight, way back when I had a PSE Mojave bow. I, too, love the easy adjustment on the pins. Really smooth, really easy to do. My pins are .019" and they do make it a whole lot better when aiming out beyond 40 yards.

New found confidence in your equipment coupled with lots of practice, and a few upgrades does equal better accuracy. Pat yourself on the back my friend. You've earned it.

Bow Walker
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Here's a pic of one of my earlier TR sights. It's been modified a few times - I made one sight out of two others. But it sure did the trick for a long time.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/TR_Mod_1.jpg (javascript:;)

Bowzone_Mikey
04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
thats a hell of a wrap you got there ol' man ... bet it works great at dusk

M@B
04-11-2011, 07:59 AM
It's interesting to see the evolution of TR's V5 sights BW. They really haven't changed it too much from the model in your pic to the one I just picked up. I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it!
.019 is the same size pins as the new modle as well. Frakkin tiny! I'm not sure exactly how big the pins are on my old Hostage sight....1/2", 5/8" haha(kidding) but, they were BIG!!
And as BZ Mikey commented, That wrap you have there is crazy! I might have 1/4 of that wrap and I almost need shades just to look at my pins! haha! Bet your pins would give you a tan after a while!

I think my next up-grade is going to be a slightly bigger peep, to broaden my field of view. Also seeing as this bow is so damn quite as it is. I might remove all the string dampening rubbers and add an STS.

I'd like to think that I'd be done there......but, then I'll probably be looking for a new toy! haha!
Addictive this game is.
Regards, Matt.

Bow Walker
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
In those days the fibers were wrapped around the sight housing, I just replaced/upgraded them with newer, more flexible fibers which were smaller (.019") than the original ones (.029"). Then they wouldn't stay in the little pinch points so I had to get inventive. I also replaced the plastic pins with metal ones.

It did its job - back then.

M@B
04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
I like it! with all the fiber optics hanging off it, it looks sci-fi!

Bow Walker
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
My archery sight travels from oldest to newest...

TR Flatliner (2 of them) - liked them a lot. Still have them.

Copper John Deadnuts - early versions - didn't really like the pin adjustment set up. Sold it pretty quick.

Spot Hogg Rea Deal - Loved it. IMHO it's one of (if not THE) best made sights on the market. Still have it. It still works like a hot damn.

TR Alpha V5 (http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/) - Looking forward to hunting with this one. I haven't yet had a chance to get out and really sight it in to my satisfaction. Love the easy pin adjustment and the wrapped fiber optic threads (18" for each pin). Feels really comfortable getting back to the vertical alignment of the pins. Like coming home.

The Hermit
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Dan - Don't all those fiber strands get caught and hung up on brush as you walk along in the brush? On my first bow, first hunt, I managed to break all the fibers completely off! THAT was a PITA.

I like the Limbsaver Prism five pin sight as all the fibers are internal so won't break off. Add the LED lite and your pins will glow even in the dark!! http://www.limbsaver.com/2011/archery/30.php

Bow Walker
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I never had a problem with breaking fibers in the bush. But then again, I don't use my bow as a walking stick either....

Seriously, I'm pretty careful how I pack the bow along with me, just because the fibers are delicate.

Riverbc
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I was thinking of buying a WB, but after reading M@B's post, so ,I looked at as many reviews as I could about the NAP Apache Drop away....I also have the TR V5 on my bow...so thought I'd give it a try. I ordered the Apache yesterday. I hope it fits my hand-me-down 2003 PSE Triton. I will be hunting deer this fall on the Island and hopefully in Alberta as well....but I really do enjoy shooting at targets and 3D as well. A lot!

Bow Walker
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Dan - Don't all those fiber strands get caught and hung up on brush as you walk along in the brush? On my first bow, first hunt, I managed to break all the fibers completely off! THAT was a PITA.

I like the Limbsaver Prism five pin sight as all the fibers are internal so won't break off. Add the LED lite and your pins will glow even in the dark!! http://www.limbsaver.com/2011/archery/30.php

That TR sight is an old one - note the plastic pins....I now use a new Alpha V5 which has wrapped fibers with metal pins. My back up sight is a Spot Hogg Real Deal 5-pin. Love them both.

M@B
05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I was thinking of buying a WB, but after reading M@B's post, so ,I looked at as many reviews as I could about the NAP Apache Drop away....I also have the TR V5 on my bow...so thought I'd give it a try. I ordered the Apache yesterday. I hope it fits my hand-me-down 2003 PSE Triton. I will be hunting deer this fall on the Island and hopefully in Alberta as well....but I really do enjoy shooting at targets and 3D as well. A lot!
You won't be disappointed in this rest at all. And the more I shoot with it the more I like it.
This video is shooting from 30 yards. I know I'm off a bit but I was happy with the grouping.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/mattbr0wn/th_0c72be4b.jpg (http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/mattbr0wn/?action=view&current=0c72be4b.mp4)

Riverbc
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
and so you should be...very tight!..Nice

M@B
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah my groupings were nowhere near as tight with the old whisker bisket.

Bow Walker
05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
If you're using a WB, you need to makes sure that the hole is correct for the shaft size that you are shooting through it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Whisker_Biscuit_Size_guide.JPG

Riverbc
05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
well looks like I won't be putting the Apache on my 2003 PSE Triton. I just won an Ebay auction for a 2011 PSE Bow Madness mc. It was a store demo.

Riverbc
05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
well...got my bow delivered, as well as the sights and arrow rest. Got it all set, then off to the range. I can't believe how bright the fibres on the sights are. I am extremely happy with this set up. I don't dare aim at the same dots on the target at 20 yards, for fear of damaging arrows. The pic is of the first group, after I had sighted it in for 60 yards. Never shot at the 60 yard target before....

http://www3.telus.net/river_rat/60.jpg

Bow Walker
05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Ahh, love - ain't it grand?!?

Riverbc
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Ahh, love - ain't it grand?!?
Oh yeah , Baby!! lol
I am very fortunate to have a son in law that shot internationally , when in his teens. He tutored me at the very beginning, before I started to develop bad habits. I believe it was a huge help!