PDA

View Full Version : Just harvested a Black Bear.... Then What???

Texan-Canuck30-06
04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Just looking for feed back for the next steps after a Black Bear down>>

sarg
04-10-2011, 10:58 AM
guts out and the hide off.

500grhollowpoint
04-10-2011, 11:01 AM
lol find someone to hunt with who knows.

Texan-Canuck30-06
04-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess my question goes to the care of the hide and the meat????

JohnS
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Freeze the Hide and then debone the meat and off to the butcher for processing.

Texan-Canuck30-06
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
500grhollowpoint
HuntingBC Champ
Re: Just harvested a Black Bear.... Then What???

Honestly.... why do people like you even bother to post shit.... I constantly see on HBC douche bags like yourself that bring utterly nothing to this site expect their pin dick attitude. Maybe not everyone is a "god" at hunting like you like to think of yourself as.

500grhollowpoint
04-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Lol I am hardly a hunting god and don't think I was implying that at all, nor was I being a douche. The best way to learn about hunting is to find a good partner that knows more about it than you, that's all I was saying.

Lol I offer some reasonable advice and who is being the douche? not me....

Hemi
04-10-2011, 11:13 AM
500grhollowpoint
HuntingBC Champ

Honestly.... why do people like you even bother to post shit.... I constantly see on HBC douche bags like yourself that bring utterly nothing to this site expect their pin dick attitude. Maybe not everyone is a "god" at hunting like you like to think of yourself as.

Really!!!! he is telling you what to do I am assuming because you are asking you don't know. so yes freezing the hide debone and butcher. Or you can get a book or dvd to tell you how to properly butcher and wrap your own meat. As far as the hide goes if you mean perserving the hide. I would freeze and get it done when you can professionally. You need the proper tools and knowledge to get a good product.. Don't know if this is the answer you were looking for if not I am sorry, maybe I don't understand your question ?

Barracuda
04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
make sure its dead

dress it

take it home and Skin& butcher it as soon as you can keeping it as cool as you can.

and takeing someone with you is not always the best way to learn especially if that person is a jackass .

teach yourself if you can though the info on here and the net. as long as the bear is shot properly and the meat isnt spoiled even if you screw up the cuts you will have plenty of really good hamburger.

"If you Cant teach yourself
Your not worth teaching"

Texan-Canuck30-06
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
talking about 500grhollowpoint answer, others answers were exactly what i was looking for. Thanks

BiG Boar
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Grab knife

Cut tag

Cut skin off animal

Cut arms and legs off animals and back straps. Put in a cloth bag. With sex organs attached.

Salt and freeze skin or take to taxidermist.

Take meat to butcher or make pepperoni yourself.

It's actually not that complex. If you followed these instructions you would do fine. Your first would be a learning curve, but that is it.

Just do it. Worst case call a hunter you know or Write a thread if you have a problem.

steel_ram
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
If your planning on having a rug done, skinning properly will save a lot of work. Nothing beats having someone who knows what their doing show you how. (does that suggestion make me a DB?:)) otherwise make a visit to your friendly neighbourhood taxidermist and hopefully he'll be more than happy to give you a demo.

Just for meat. Same as any other game animal.

One tip: Black fur hides blood very well, which means your more likely to write off any jeans you might be waring. I never seem to fail to kneel on a bloody patch of fur.

500grhollowpoint
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Have we, as a society, really come to the point where we would rather get info off the web than from a real person?

I can't beleive I'm getting flamed for suggesting a newbie take out someone who knows what they are doing.

upcomer
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
500grhollowpoint
HuntingBC Champ

well said.

Hemi
04-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Have we, as a society, really come to the point where we would rather get info off the web than from a real person?

I can't beleive I'm getting flamed for suggesting a newbie take out someone who knows what they are doing.

You Sir should have known better then to offer perfectly good advice to somone asking a question.... LOL :}

Pioneerman
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
500grhollowpoint
HuntingBC Champ

Your original question was answered then you clarified what you wanted later. Taking someone with you if you never hunted bear before is a good idea and decent advice. With your original question, no one would know if you ever hunted before and gave you sound advice, and it certainly did not justify that kind of response

sarg
04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
x2, one knows if u hunted before.

Your original question was answered then you clarified what you wanted later. Taking someone with you if you never hunted bear before is a good idea and decent advice. With your original question, no one would know if you ever hunted before and gave you sound advice, and it certainly did not justify that kind of response

Texan-Canuck30-06
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Would people stop responding to how they feel now.... my answer has been perfectly answered by intelligent people all the others who have to put their useless 2 cent comments in need to find something more productive to do with their time.

donperk
04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
early april bear ,,congratulations

Jagermeister
04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
"Just harvested a Black Bear....Then What???"

This is an inane question after the fact. This is the picture I get.

You shot this black bear this morning and you are now sitting by the carcass with your iPhone posing the question. Or the other scenerio is that you loaded it up and returned to your place of residence with the carcass whole.

In either case, you have no business hunting by yourself if you do not know what to do after you have shot the bear or any other animal for that matter.

500grainhollowpoint's comments were not out of line and he should not be flamed for stating what should be pretty obvious.

WesHarm
04-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I was guna say, isnt this kinda a "Know before you go" kind of thing?

Darksith
04-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I hope the senario was a hypothetical and that you haven't shot a bear? Just curious, don't worry Im not gonna flame you or anyone else. There are always a lot of trolls on HBC, thats what we hunters do when theres nothing to hunt lol, so don't get so worked up over a silly little post.

srupp
04-10-2011, 03:13 PM
hmmmm imo..watching a video ONLY takes you so far...watching someone slowly go through it WITH YOU is far superior...

The basic answers are posted here..

A point a I like to bring up is on what to do with the hide after you shoot your bear, not every bear is a trophy bear that absolutely must be put on the wall. I have seen lots of individuals that are so excited and go through all the work and only after the excitement wears off do they realize it's only a 5 foot bear and while maybe their first bear not really of"trophy"size. These bears are expensive to taxidermy and be made into a rug, so one has to carefully consider how much effort should go into this hide, and what you truly want to get done. There's nothing wrong with merely skinning it out, tanning the hide and hanging it in your trophy room without having it be made into a full headed rug. Some taxidermists will purchase black bear hides that are quality well furred of the larger size, six and half feet plus, or uses a credit at their shop. The black bear lends itself to the gutless skinning method, and by removing the for edible quarters and the back strap makes getting the meat off the bear fairly simple, relatively fast, and pretty darn easy.

Cheers

Steven

BiG Boar
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I would do some reading on all of the above suggestions using the search feature on here. It would be intimidating but is pretty simple. That said calling people DB's wont get you many friends willing to help you on here. Even though there are some on here. Take a lot of your replies with a grain of salt. There are lots of hunters on here who still dont cape out their own animals, or know the gutless method.

Barracuda
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Dave have you used the Gutless method on a bear ?

coconut54
04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Because people don't volunteer to teach the new guys. People wonder why our sport is failing. people wonder why our kids would rather watch tv and play video games. its because of people who would rather fight than teach.
Good for him and doing what they did back then, he is starting from scratch, he took the time to go out there and learn first hand.

BiG Boar
04-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Dave have you used the Gutless method on a bear ?

My first bear I gutted and I havnt gutted any animal since. Once you go gutless you never go back. Remove your hide. Chop off arms and legs and cut out back straps and tenderloins.

lorneparker1
04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
how do yu get the tendies out without taking the guts out?