PDA

View Full Version : weatherby? vanguard or mark v

Buck TraX
04-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Looking into buying a .257 weatherby mag.Whats the difference between the vanguard sporter vs mark v is it just a higher quality wood stock. also what is a number 2 barrel? Ther is a huge price difference between the two 700$for the vanguard and 1400$ for the mark v

Slee
04-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Mark V

locking lugs 9 or 6
Bolt lift 54 degrees
flootplate release inside trigger
bolt release pull trigger

Vanguard

locking lugs 2
Bolt lift 90 degrees
floorplate release outside trigger
bolt release side release

What two models are you looking at?

Buck TraX
04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanx Slee just trying to justify that extra 700$ It dosent tell you everything in the wholesale catalouge .The 54 deg bolt is definatly a must IMO thanx

Hank Hunter
04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
If the 54 deg bolt is worth 700 bucks go for it. Have always found Vanguards to be a good bang for the buck

BromBones
04-10-2011, 09:08 AM
You're paying extra for the action and barrel. The Mark V is as solid as they come, and very smooth feeding. The Mark V rifles also use Krieger barrels, or did when I bought mine.

The Vanguard is a Howa 1500 action with Weatherbys add-ons. Excellent rifles for the $$. I have one in 300 WSM which shot good out of the box, and after bedding, floating, and a trigger job it's a consistent sub-moa rifle.

Buck TraX
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Mark V

locking lugs 9 or 6
Bolt lift 54 degrees
flootplate release inside trigger
bolt release pull trigger

Vanguard

locking lugs 2
Bolt lift 90 degrees
floorplate release outside trigger
bolt release side release

What two models are you looking at?

looking at the vanguard sporter in .257 wby mag and mark v sporter wby mag

Slee
04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
According to the Weatherby web site the Vanguard is made in Japan and the Mark V sporter is made in the USA.

Buck TraX
04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
That says it all, i think im going to have to go with the mark v as i already have a few average rifles and am looking for something a bit more high end that will compete with my buddies .264 win mag at the range

swampthing
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Go with the mark 5. I had a mark 5 deluxe and loved it. I sold it to buy the hot 270wsm. I missed it and now have an ultralight 257. These weatherbys shoot good, have smooth actions and have that gotta have weatherby styling. My weatherbys have always been noticed by other hunters. The vangaurds have always caught my attention too, but I have never owned one. My ultralight is in the care of a good gunsmith right now. Bedding , floating, ring lapping and trigger work will make it my own custom. The 257 is a hot shot cartridge. I own ballistic reticles on many of my rifles now, but not on the 257. They shoot pretty flat to 400 and the holdover at 500 is easy to figure. The one thing you will notice is the weatherby is a heavy rifle. Enjoy yours.

Don_Abbate
04-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Mark V all the way, you get what you pay for.

takla1
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
if you can ,check the used market for a older german made mark 5.I did 30 yrs ago and its still as good today as the first day i bought it,held up remarkably after all these yrs,mind you its not quite as pretty.9 locking lugs and tight smooth action,had ive alway's hand loaded hot and never had a problem,weatherby bullistics are hard to beat!

warnniklz
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
According to the Weatherby web site the Vanguard is made in Japan and the Mark V sporter is made in the USA.

I'm not sure about the Mark V... but my Vanguard Synthetic has Made In Japan stamped right on the side.

blaker_99
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
We have in our family 3-257 wby mags. 2 in the weatherby ultralight with 26" barrel and one in a remmy model 700 stainless fluted also with a 26" barrel. The ultralights are a solid piece of work!! Great action very strong but it isn't as light as I'd like it to be. My 11 year old brother shoots the 257 wby mag just fine and he's not a big kid. After reloading several different rounds the Remington actually shot a bit better and more accurate than the weatherbys. Just my two cents I'd be going with a 26" barrel regardless. And one more note the barnes ttsx in 100grain shoot amazing!! Have fun shopping around. Cheers

evhunter
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I would buy the Vanguard over the Mark V. Just personal preference. For the $ of a Mark V, I'd rather put it toward something else in the same price range. Sako, Cooper, Kimber.

yzchamp
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I have 2 Vanguards they shoot good ,they are tough and less then a half price of mark V, so i guess its a personal preference. some ppl drive Ladas and are happy with it some stick to BMWs..:)

wicket
04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I own both vangaurd in 22 250 and a mark 5 in 270wby mag stainless. I truely like the Mk5 better for all the reasons above. the 250 is a 1 inch gun and bounces around in my truck so im not worried about hurting it. the mk 5 is a better built rifle.. buy what you like and what your budget allows. btw the Mk 5 shoots 1 inch as well. love the shorter bolt lift on the mk5 which is worth the extra imo.