PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for some opinions...

Iron Sighted
04-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey all, great site here, pleased to meet you all(virtual handshakes all around). OK, now that introductions are through, a bit about myself... I'm new to hunting, this'll be my first season this fall and I've got some questions about gear and such. I'd like to try my hand at alpine muley hunting(though I'll be happy to bag a deer in a low lying area, I just think alpine hunting looks more appealing).

I need to buy pretty much everything, and I'm limited to about $3000-4000max.

So far I'm thinking about a Browning X-Bolt stainless stalker in 7mm rem mag, a Leupold VX-3(not 100% sure which one yet though), Vortex Viper HD binoculars(not sure which magnification to get though, the 8x or 10x by 42mm objective). As far as packs go, I really liked the Eberlestock J34 I looked at, it seems like it'd do the trick.

I'm also going to need a good pair of boots but I haven't looked at any yet.

I'd appreciate any input or advice that any of you experienced hunters could throw my way in regards to my potential choices or if you think I forgot or neglected anything(of course if you have any other good advice you want share, or your favorite hunting spots, I'm all ears.:mrgreen:)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Steeleco
04-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Where to start LOL With that budget you'll end up with some good gear. As to the rifle, IMHO you'd do well looking at Canadiangunnutz and see if you can get a package deal. Bino's are a very personal type item. Good stats aren't as important as a good fit and feel. Buy the best pair that fit well and you'll never have to replace them.

I'm sure plenty of other good advice is not far from coming!!

RJ
04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
dont think the x bolts come with iron sights :)
for the binos, I went with 8x. they are a little better in low light and don't magnify the wobble as bad, but its definitely a personal choice.
x bolts are great rifles, and the vx 3 is top notch.

Iron Sighted
04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow, that was a quick response. I am a member on the gunnutz forum as well(same handle there). LOL I waste way too much of my life on there in the equipment exchange looking for deals(pretty sure those Easterners scoop all the good deals before I get home from work, we need a three hour handicap or something so they can't buy until the item has been posted for at least three hours LOL, level the field a bit hehe)

KB90
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
You've got a good budget, I would be looking for top of line stuff. Buy nice or buy twice :D

Do not cheap out on boots!
Angry Feet = Shitty hunt, no matter how good the rest of your gear is.
Look into the Lowa Hunter GTX boots.

I like your gun choice, although that combo will eat up 1/3 of your budget. (canadian gunnutz :D)

I've got a badlands 4500 pack like it so far, but if I had the money I would look into the Mystery Ranch 6500 or 7500.

As for glass I would look into the big 3 Zeiss, Swaro, Leica. Some great deals can be found for used online (ebay, bird watching forum, Canadian gunnutz) which will put them in your price range.

Iron Sighted
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Ha, I knew I'd hear about the iron sights sooner or later. I came up with that ingenious handle when I got my first rifle( a Polytech M14, that I like to shoot with the aperture sight it came with, hence the Ironsighted thing).

Weatherby Fan
04-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Well it seems like your on the right track looking for gear ,only thing I may add is make sure you get a better quality 10x binocular,I use a leica 10x42 Trinovid and thery're outstanding for long periods of glassing in the alpine,no eyestrain no headaches,not saying to buy Leica but do yourself a favor and buy a quality pair of binoculars that won't leave you wanting something better,you will not regrett it and they will last a lifetime !
Good luck in the Alpine-WF

fowl language
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
you,d be well advised to take weatherby fans advise as he put the pine in alpine he,s spent so long there . if money becomes an issue vortex makes an affordable glass and i feel almost as good as my leica,s..listen to the fan he,s good...fowl

tonywtc
04-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Whatever you do, don't cheep out on your boots, If your out in the bush and your feet arn't comfortable then your not comfortable. Get a pair that fits your foot not just what people recommend, everyones foot is different. I personally went with 9" Danner Vanish GTX ScentLok boots $250, they are super light (which is really nice), completely waterproof and use Thinsulate Ultra insulation, and can be ordered in with different widths. But as I said, try a bunch on and see what fits your foot best. Don't just buy a pair because it looks nice.

Slee
04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
The fun of spending someone elses money...... It sounds like your on the right track, If you have any money left over, I would add a spotting scope to your list. You should be able to find a used B&L (bushnell elite) 15-45x60 for $300-$400. They have great glass for the money and can save you a pile of walking in the alpine!

Iron Sighted
04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
you,d be well advised to take weatherby fans advise as he put the pine in alpine he,s spent so long there . if money becomes an issue vortex makes an affordable glass and i feel almost as good as my leica,s..listen to the fan he,s good...fowl

That is what had me looking at the Vortex initially, I know they are not as nice as the Swaros, Leicas, etc. but I still need to get a good pack and boots. Unless I find a good deal on a used high end bino, I don't think my budget will likely fit them. I checked out all the items I listed in my initial post in person the other day at Grouse River(great guy there behind the gun counter, helped me out for probably 1.5hrs, knowing I wasn't going to buy anything at the time).

I can get the rifle, VX-3 3.5-10x50, rings, and Vortex Viper HD 8x42 binos for under $2900 from them leaving me with roughly $1100 for boots and pack. Eberlestock pack is $350, which gives me likely more than I'll need for boots(though probably not enough to upgrade to better binos). I won't complain if I manage to spend less than $4000, and my wife will likely complain a little bit less:mrgreen:

Iron Sighted
04-10-2011, 08:40 AM
The fun of spending someone elses money...... It sounds like your on the right track, If you have any money left over, I would add a spotting scope to your list. You should be able to find a used B&L (bushnell elite) 15-45x60 for $300-$400. They have great glass for the money and can save you a pile of walking in the alpine!

You snuck this post in while I was replying to the other one, great to get some feedback. I didn't list a spotting scope initially because I didn't think I'd be able to slide a decent one in to my budget given all the other things I need to buy, and my understanding was that if you only have the cash for one(binos or spotter), that the binos are the priority. However, after seeing your post perhaps I will keep my eyes open for a used Bushnell, I just may have enough left over to buy one for $300. Thanks.

Weatherby Fan
04-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Most of my stuff I buy used online Like my Leica's I got on ebay for $600.00 from a chap in Nanaimo,if you have some patience and spend some time surfing the net,ebay,craigslist you can get some great deals,I also got a pair of Kales 10x42s for my son for $360.00 on craigslist,
As Slee suggested about a spotting scope you should have no problem finding one at a decent price.
WF

buck nash
04-10-2011, 10:47 PM
A used rifle doesn't usually go down in value as long as you take care of it. You may want to get yourself a decent used rifle/scope combo, saving money for some of your other stuff, then maybe next season sell your gun for what you paid for it and upgrade to a nicer gun. Think of it as a free rental. Or keep it as a back-up/loaner.

Having said that I have the same rifle/scope combo you've mentioned but in .270win + 3.5-10X40 ($1900 inc. scope, rings, extra mag, sling and taxes) and I'm very satisfied with both.

Iron Sighted
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm leaning more towards the 3.5-10x40mm myself actually, I'm thinking the 50mm objective is something I'd enjoy more on a target rifle. I'd rather not have the extra bulk.

On a slightly different note, I'd like to know how everyone feels about the Zeiss 3-9x40 vs. the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40?? I keep hearing that Zeiss has better glass, is it true in this case and how do they compare in ruggedness/toughness and in terms of warranty??

A used rifle doesn't usually go down in value as long as you take care of it. You may want to get yourself a decent used rifle/scope combo, saving money for some of your other stuff, then maybe next season sell your gun for what you paid for it and upgrade to a nicer gun. Think of it as a free rental. Or keep it as a back-up/loaner.

Having said that I have the same rifle/scope combo you've mentioned but in .270win + 3.5-10X40 ($1900 inc. scope, rings, extra mag, sling and taxes) and I'm very satisfied with both.

Duck Tales
04-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Ah the M-14 'eh my personal favourite autoloader. I used to shoot the M-21 and M-24's in the Marines ( had buddies that were snipers and scout snipers ) And the Vortex choice is a good one the price is right and the warranty is outstanding. For boots, I my self like the Irish Setter Elk Trackers (1000 gm.) Packs, Eberlestock is the choice of SEALs and jarheads alike if you learn how to pack 'em right they can save your ass as a float device. Badlands are great to but they aint got shit on eberlestock, combat operators chose them for a reason. Again M1A/M-14 variants kick ass they make AR's look like BB guns its too bad the military stopped standard issue of them in '67. Good luck this season you have should have alot of options with that budget. Why not use the 14 for hunting ?

Iron Sighted
04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Ah the M-14 'eh my personal favourite autoloader. I used to shoot the M-21 and M-24's in the Marines ( had buddies that were snipers and scout snipers ) And the Vortex choice is a good one the price is right and the warranty is outstanding. For boots, I my self like the Irish Setter Elk Trackers (1000 gm.) Packs, Eberlestock is the choice of SEALs and jarheads alike if you learn how to pack 'em right they can save your ass as a float device. Badlands are great to but they aint got shit on eberlestock, combat operators chose them for a reason. Again M1A/M-14 variants kick ass they make AR's look like BB guns its too bad the military stopped standard issue of them in '67. Good luck this season you have should have alot of options with that budget. Why not use the 14 for hunting ?

I just may use the m-14 for hunting, though I don't think I want to be packing it in to the alpine as it does run a little on the heavy side, so if I decide to do any lower hunting in thicker woods, there is a good chance it might come along on occasion. You're lucky you got to use the real thing during your military service, I'm stuck with a Chinese replica as the real M-14's are prohibited here and the M1A is (in my mind) overpriced.

eaglesnester
04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Take a look at the Remington 700 BDL in 7MM mag with a 24 inch barrel, for around $750 - $850 or so. Accurate like stink. A leupold VX3 4,5 X 14 in 50MM, long range with a B&C reticle system is a very very good scope. I am here to give you my bondfidies that the B&C recticle system works like a hot damn. The Leupold VX3 glass guarantees 99% light transmission, hard to beat that. The Leupold VX3 is not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have used the B&C reticle system to shoot gongs at 400 meters off a rest and made hits with first round down range with no prior experience at shooting at anything beyond 200 meters. I found that I was so far away at 400 meters from the target that I was unable to see it with the naked eye. The gong was only 7"X11" and rusty so it blended in with the background. You could see it clearly through the scope on 14 power and making hits on the gong became boring it was so easy. One last comment here: Pay attention to your scope mounting system if you want good accuracy. You might want to check out Near Manufacturing and check out their Alpha mount. The Alpha scope mounting system is not cheap but it can make a huge difference in the accuracy of your rifle. A rifle with the Alpha mounting system or a Picatinney rail system can go from being a 3" group shooter at 100 to .5"or less. WIth a Remington 700 in 7em em you should be shooting bung hole groups if you got your shooter set up right.
Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
What ever the question the Weatherby 338/378 is the answer.

Elkaddict
04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
If you haven't already, I would suggest you handle/shoulder a couple of different rifles from a couple of different manufacturers to see if there is one that fits or feels nicer than the others in your hands. If you still feel the X Bolt is for you go for it.

There is no doubt Leupold makes fine optics and has an outstanding warranty, but both Sightron and Vortex have come out with some very nice glass in the last couple of years. Both manufacturers have warranties equal to that of Leupold and price points significantly lower. I have examples from all three manufacturers ( VariX ll, VX lll, Viper, Slll, SllB) and have no complaints with any of them. You could save some money here to go toward a higher end binocular and/or spotter. I think you are on the right track with a 3-9 or 3.5-10X40. Very good all rounder.

Good advise above re: binoculars, really nice ones are a joy to look through, can save you lots of headaches (literally), and leg work in the alpine.

I can't speak to the Eberlstock pack, as I've never used one. A Mystery Ranch Nice pack with a load sling might be a better choice if you plan on packing anything large and awkward, like a full bone in quarter or half a deer.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you choose, it looks like you are on track to get some quality kit that will last you for years to come. Cheers!

boxhitch
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Buy what you can easily afford, spend the rest on gas.
$4000 budget is about 4 times what is needed to get started, kudos to you.

Iron Sighted
04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
If you haven't already, I would suggest you handle/shoulder a couple of different rifles from a couple of different manufacturers to see if there is one that fits or feels nicer than the others in your hands. If you still feel the X Bolt is for you go for it.

There is no doubt Leupold makes fine optics and has an outstanding warranty, but both Sightron and Vortex have come out with some very nice glass in the last couple of years. Both manufacturers have warranties equal to that of Leupold and price points significantly lower. I have examples from all three manufacturers ( VariX ll, VX lll, Viper, Slll, SllB) and have no complaints with any of them. You could save some money here to go toward a higher end binocular and/or spotter. I think you are on the right track with a 3-9 or 3.5-10X40. Very good all rounder.

Good advise above re: binoculars, really nice ones are a joy to look through, can save you lots of headaches (literally), and leg work in the alpine.

I can't speak to the Eberlstock pack, as I've never used one. A Mystery Ranch Nice pack with a load sling might be a better choice if you plan on packing anything large and awkward, like a full bone in quarter or half a deer.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you choose, it looks like you are on track to get some quality kit that will last you for years to come. Cheers!

I do like the X-bolt, though I've mostly only handled it and a Tikka T3(I've also shot my friends Savage, it's nice too, but I like the X-bolt and Tikka better). I thought both rifles felt good, but I liked the fit and finish a little better on the X-bolt, but the Tikkas are so well known for their accuracy that it is also tempting(it's also a little lighter too). The only things I've made my mind up on entirely are that I want a stainless/synthetic rifle and I want it chambered in 7mm RM.

I've also taken a look at some Zeiss Conquest scopes and they have started to grab my attention, so I may or may not end up with a Leupold.

I haven't yet had a chance to check out any Mystery Ranch packs yet, does anyone know of any retailers where I can see one in person??

Thanks, for the responses and opinions guys, keep 'em coming.

Elkaddict
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I haven't yet had a chance to check out any Mystery Ranch packs yet, does anyone know of any retailers where I can see one in person??

Thanks, for the responses and opinions guys, keep 'em coming.

Unfortunately they are marketed only through MR themselves out of Bozeman Montana. They have lots of stuff online, website videos etc., but unless you can dig up someone with a pack you won't get a touchy feely.

brian
04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Alpine hunting? Are you planning day hunts or camping? If camping then you'll need to consider all that gear too (I am assuming you don't have any just because you are looking for both a pack and boots).

As for your choices, they all look awesome. If you wanted to save some cash on the scope you could look at a vx-2 or vortex viper. Fine scopes for 99.5 % of your hunting needs. As for binos I prefer lower magnification (8 x 40), it helps smooth out the shakes. But I also have a natural tremor to combat so that's me. If you have steady hands then go with whatever you want, but I find 8x is a little easier to use than a 10x. I also find with binos, the bigger and clunkier they are the less they get used and the more likely they will find their way to the bottom of my pack. Right now I am using a small 8x vortex monocular. It's awesome for the bush where I spend most of my time, but I wouldn't want to use it for extended glassing. I have an eberlestock gunslinger. It is a great well made little pack. So I would definitely give that company a thumbs up for their packs. Just be sure to try it on and see how it fits your frame. A well fitting pack makes a huge difference!

Also as a new hunter have you considered what will happen when the deer is down? If you havn't spend some time on youTube checking out different methods of field dressing and or deboning deer. Even the little ones seem to weigh a ton when they are pure dead weight. So where ever you choose to hunt also think about how you plan on getting the animal out of the bush.

Just a few thoughts.

Iron Sighted
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Alpine hunting? Are you planning day hunts or camping? If camping then you'll need to consider all that gear too (I am assuming you don't have any just because you are looking for both a pack and boots).

As for your choices, they all look awesome. If you wanted to save some cash on the scope you could look at a vx-2 or vortex viper. Fine scopes for 99.5 % of your hunting needs. As for binos I prefer lower magnification (8 x 40), it helps smooth out the shakes. But I also have a natural tremor to combat so that's me. If you have steady hands then go with whatever you want, but I find 8x is a little easier to use than a 10x. I also find with binos, the bigger and clunkier they are the less they get used and the more likely they will find their way to the bottom of my pack. Right now I am using a small 8x vortex monocular. It's awesome for the bush where I spend most of my time, but I wouldn't want to use it for extended glassing. I have an eberlestock gunslinger. It is a great well made little pack. So I would definitely give that company a thumbs up for their packs. Just be sure to try it on and see how it fits your frame. A well fitting pack makes a huge difference!

Also as a new hunter have you considered what will happen when the deer is down? If you havn't spend some time on youTube checking out different methods of field dressing and or deboning deer. Even the little ones seem to weigh a ton when they are pure dead weight. So where ever you choose to hunt also think about how you plan on getting the animal out of the bush.

Just a few thoughts.

I'm thinking I'll be doing both day hunts and overnight/couple night hunts. I'm set for camping gear but I need a heavier/larger pack in the event that I am lucky enough to pack more out then I went in with, also the reason I want some sturdy boots.

For scopes, I just P.M.ed a fellow on the gunnutz forum who is selling a VX-3 3.5-10x40 never mounted(box is open though) for $600. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, does that sound like a good price to everyone else?

As to what you mentioned for binos, I have heard the same thing re: magnification and shakiness, so I'll likely take some time looking through both 10x & 8X binoculars before I make up my mind there.

Though I haven't yet looked at any youtube clips in regards to field dressing/deboning, I have given it some thought and I will certainly have a look on youtube to see what i can learn. I know a butcher who also happens to be a hunter, so I'm hoping he can help me out as well.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate any and all help/advice/opinions people are willing to take the time to type out.

brian
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Regarding the Leupold, seems like a decent price for a Leupy vx3, but be careful of fakes. There are a few out there. Also if it is not a scope originally bought in Canada, it won't be covered by warranty if it was bought after a certain year (I can't remember what the date is).
http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/counterfeit-warning/

Iron Sighted
04-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up Brian, I inquired about whether or not the scopes were bought in Canada and was told that he had bought a bunch of Leupolds from a fellow in Quebec. It's probably all legit, but as he couldn't tell me for certain if the scopes were from here or the U.S., I've decided to pass on the deal.

.330 Dakota
04-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Wow, that was a quick response. I am a member on the gunnutz forum as well(same handle there). LOL I waste way too much of my life on there in the equipment exchange looking for deals(pretty sure those Easterners scoop all the good deals before I get home from work, we need a three hour handicap or something so they can't buy until the item has been posted for at least three hours LOL, level the field a bit hehe)

Keep an eye on Epps used guns, they are decent prices sometimes and are great guys to deal with.

Elkaddict
04-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up Brian, I inquired about whether or not the scopes were bought in Canada and was told that he had bought a bunch of Leupolds from a fellow in Quebec. It's probably all legit, but as he couldn't tell me for certain if the scopes were from here or the U.S., I've decided to pass on the deal.

If you find a good deal, ask for the serial # and send that to the Korth group. They are the warranty folks for Canada and should be able to tell you whether the scope is legit or not.

nature girl
05-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Id get a shooting stick or a walking stick. Its amazing how they help when your going uphill and downhill.

Iron Sighted
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, good thought, I already have some trekking/hiking poles, but they are old and crappy. I'll likely buy new ones next year and try to get one more year out of my current ones.

Cmdrtron
07-07-2011, 08:03 AM
You have probably already purchased what your are looking for but here goes. I picked up a Savage package last year. very cheap in price and quality is fantastic. i spent a little extra to have the trigger lightened up. But you can spend a little more to get the accutriger model (highly recommend). the best part of these guns is they are manufactured in Canada, and for a field gun your not going to worry about scratching it up. Glass, my buddy bought a pair of Vortex Bino's and he loves them, I have a small pair of Bausch & Lomb 8x24, they are supper light but i like by buddies Vortex better. they are much clearer and with the bino harness they don't weigh much. I'm purchasing a Vortex scope this summer because the warranty and the price are better than most and the quality is fantastic, plus i like their reticule. you could cut your budget in half if you went with something like this and have more money for as someone said fuel for getting out in the bush and more time to hunt. I was going to buy a Browning A bolt until someone at Bass Pro in Calgary talked me out of spending that much money and the real selling point for me was the made in Canada part. any how that's just my opinion. you have to get what ever feels good for you. Happy hunting.

Iron Sighted
07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Update: I have purchased a rifle, waiting for it to arrive. Got a Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm RM. Also purchased an Eberlestock J107 pack. Have a pair of binos and spotter/tripod in the mail too, pretty unknown company, but got very good reviews by some of the regular critics/reviewers on the Optics Talk forum, I'll let everyone know my impressions when I get them. Really just need a scope(leaning heavily towards the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Rapid Z 600 reticle) and the reloading components for 7mm RM. Is it hunting season yet?? : )

eaglesnester
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Your list is impressive. I would stay with it. Stay away from packaged rifle scope deals. Most of the scopes that come with rifles at purchase are nothing but garbage. Stick with your original list and you will do fine. You have abviously done some reading and research

Iron Sighted
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Your list is impressive. I would stay with it. Stay away from packaged rifle scope deals. Most of the scopes that come with rifles at purchase are nothing but garbage. Stick with your original list and you will do fine. You have abviously done some reading and research

Thanks, I've tried hard to make good decisions when I made my purchases. Lots of reading reviews and asking opinions on the internet, spent some time handling rifles in shops and looking through glass as well. Got my binos and spotter today, still waiting for the tripod to arrive in the mail so I can really test out the spotter, binos are great though, spent a couple hours looking through them today. Scope, rings, bases and reloading components and I'm all set(I hope).

Iron Sighted
07-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Well, rifle showed up in the mail today, can't wait to get a proper scope for it, the cardboard paper towel roll I duct taped to it just doesn't do it any justice : ) Scope, rings, bases, and reloading components. I'm thinking about getting some Talley rings, I really like the ones I have on my .22 Also picked up some new hiking poles today too.

steelheadSABO
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Well if I had a "budget" of 3000-4000 this is some of the stuff i'd choose
Ruger m77 all weather in 270win as ammo is cheap and you'll have no problem finding ammo for it also it will work good on everything excluding bison and grizz (depending on who your talking too)
Leupold VX-I 3-9 x40
I have the eberlestock f3h halftrack and it's a great pack.
For knives I love My buck folding omni hunter with the gut hook get the dirty work done and my gen 5 skinner is razor sharp for skinning.
Also get yourself a Wyoming saw you'll love it.
A good spotting scope would come in handy for alpine mulies.
A good set of hunting pants sure are nice compared to jeans.
guess i should read the whole thread oh well hope you find some usefull things outta this post. :) btw the model 70 is an excellent choice.

buck nash
07-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Have you blown your 3- 4 thousand dollar budget yet?

vip_ruger
07-16-2011, 01:25 AM
for boots buy kenntrex boot they are a good boot and run around 500.00,a friend has a tika t3 in a 7mm and that ran him around 900.00 and i use zeiss victory binos and love them and for packs go i use a bora 80 and like it but a friend has a wilderness wounder and he likes it alot . but corlanes in dawson creek has a good selection of used rifles 2507822111. get a good sleeping bag and tent MEC has good ones well best of luck to u and good hunting

Iron Sighted
07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Have you blown your 3- 4 thousand dollar budget yet?

Nope, not yet. I'll be over $3000 but less than $4000 I think when all is said and done.

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 12:30 AM
One thing you will learn fast is don't tell your buddies your honey holes you find send em way off from your favorite spots so stay away from region 8-1 and 8-4 it's mine :P only joking.

I don't really have any things to add just wanted to say hey n welcome I'm a noob to the site joined today but not hunting good luck on the coming season n hope you bag a nice muley.

Weatherby Fan
08-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Update: I have purchased a rifle, waiting for it to arrive. Got a Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm RM. Also purchased an Eberlestock J107 pack. Have a pair of binos and spotter/tripod in the mail too, pretty unknown company, but got very good reviews by some of the regular critics/reviewers on the Optics Talk forum, I'll let everyone know my impressions when I get them. Really just need a scope(leaning heavily towards the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Rapid Z 600 reticle) and the reloading components for 7mm RM. Is it hunting season yet?? : )

Good job on the rifle,its a great all round cartridge you will be very happy with it,stick to a good premium bullet and it won't let you down.
I've heard some good reviews on the pack also,just curious what kind of spotter and binos you picked up ?
Sounds like your well on your way for the hunting season-Good Luck
WF

Iron Sighted
08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I am quite happy with the rifle so far, I put Talley lightweights and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 w/ the rapid Z 600 reticle on it. I'm still working on load development, bought Nosler brass, CCI 250 primers(i.i.r.c.), H4831 & IMR 4831 powder, and Hornady 154gr Interbonds and SSTs to try in it(using the SST to sight in and initial load development as they are cheap and the same weight and B.C. as the interbonds). The pack has been great on the few mountain hikes I've been on so far with it. The binos and spotter are treating me great so far, the are made by Theron(China), but came with great reviews, they seem as good to me(the reviewers I saw even said better) as the Vortex Viper HD binos. I have been able to see my bullet holes with the 7mm RM on a target at 300 yards with the spotter, and it is a smaller 15-45x60mm unit so I am happy there as well. I know a larger objective would be good for lower light viewing, but I don't want the extra weight or bulk in my pack. I'll see how I like it all when I'm actually hunting with it, but initial impression has been very good so far on all my purchases.