PDA

View Full Version : Hey Griz....Say hello to my new oldschool nasty friend

kgriz
04-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Can't wait to smash a big griz old school this spring......
Knife's sharp, new gun's sighted in.....good times :mrgreen:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/pencil.png

gutpile
04-08-2011, 10:40 PM
X 2 but i still need to sight in my 7mm mag, anybody know what grain of bullet i should use ?

kgriz
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Perfect loading combos are up for quite a debate but my dad does my hand-loading for me and we went through many combos of different bullets, grains of powder etc for my 7mm STW and his 7x61. My STW's sweet spot turned out to be a 160gr boattail while his 7X61 performed better with 175 gr. Tough to go too wrong over 160 grains provided the shot is good.

todbartell
04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
more important than weight, is bullet construction. Choose something that will hold together and penetrate. I'd prefer a 140gr Barnes TSX to a 175gr Sierra boattail for grizz in 7mm

Kgriz, nice thumper - should do the trick nicely! good luck

deeks1989
04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
For 7mm rem mag. 168gr berger.

gutpile
04-08-2011, 11:01 PM
isn't a 140 grain to lite, i was thinking mybe a 175 gr

kgriz
04-08-2011, 11:08 PM
todbartell, was going to direct him in your direction, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.....I've always used a simple older-type bullet from habit and never had anything get away because of it....although I make a point of keeping shooting until they stop moving as retreiving a big animal from a bad spot sucks.....The new 45-70 is definitely on the other end of the spectrum of my STW and bipod but should do nicely with flex-tip rounds to reach out a bit while maintaining its thump.

todbartell
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
isn't a 140 grain to lite, i was thinking mybe a 175 gr

bullet construction has more to do with penetration than weight does, but 175gr isn't a bad choice. I was making an example of how a lighter, tougher bullet would be preffered to a heavier, softer bullet that is more likely to blow up and fail to penetrate, especially from angles other than broadside lung shots.

Don't forget to write your will before you go :D

gutpile
04-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Have you ever killed a griz with your 45-70 ?

kgriz
04-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Not yet, just got it......judging how my shoulder feels after putting 9 through it to touch up sight-in.......I don't think that it will be a problem. Shells for my STW were getting a bit tough to find and most shots are within 300m so I thought Why not? Will use old-school gear as shown....should produce good luck.

todbartell
04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
it'll make for good pictures none the less :D don't forget the pipe tobacco

kgriz
04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh, hand-loading components that is.....production ammo still OK to get, but if I'm gonna use that gun, I'll probably be shooting a long ways often and hand-loaded ammo becomes quite a bit more important.

kgriz
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Funny you'd say that....I've got a kickass ram's head pipe I made for producing good luck under hard conditions....more than once, it plus a custom spirit catcher on sight has done the trick....laugh non-believers, but karma often outperforms boot-leather.

wildcatter
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
You can always neck down an 8mm Rem mag or use the 300 H&H easier to neck down and fireform.

Not yet, just got it......judging how my shoulder feels after putting 9 through it to touch up sight-in.......I don't think that it will be a problem. Shells for my STW were getting a bit tough to find and most shots are within 300m so I thought Why not? Will use old-school gear as shown....should produce good luck.

Fisher-Dude
04-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Not my first choice Shaun. Bergers are good for shooting half a mile at a steel gong, but not so good for finding a bear's lungs at 60 yards.

I'd go for a 175gr Swift A-Frame in a 7 mag.

http://www.safariandoutdoor.co.za/images/HMbul_0905_J.jpg

BromBones
04-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Not yet, just got it......judging how my shoulder feels after putting 9 through it to touch up sight-in.......I don't think that it will be a problem.

It's not. I've smacked grizz with my old Marlin, and they don't shake it off too well ;)

I'm gonna be using my 45/70 GG again this year for grizzly, shooting 400 grain Barnes Originals. Figure I could use some luck by bringing back the old "SodBuster" :)

kgriz
04-09-2011, 08:53 AM
As I thought, along with the other reasons....I figure it also forces you up and personal......not such a bad idea these days with all of the regulational requirements for trophy animals during GOS.....I always end up being the binocular shoot/don't shoot spotter in the party.....if i can smash him with this.....prob don't need the spotting scope.....am tempted to take off the scope.

kgriz
04-09-2011, 08:57 AM
wildcatter, my dad knows the options and I will use it when I "have" to but I'm so sick of anxiously peering through my spotter looking for that 4th or 6th point etc that this new gun might make it fun again....I'm also a bowhunter but one of my main hunting partners is not and has little interest so this is a compromise.:-D

wildcatter
04-14-2011, 11:28 PM
OK, got it, I thought you were looking for an alternative for the STW brass.
My 300 is like your 7mm STW on the 8mm Rem. parent case and the 300 H&H works real well for me.

wildcatter, my dad knows the options and I will use it when I "have" to but I'm so sick of anxiously peering through my spotter looking for that 4th or 6th point etc that this new gun might make it fun again....I'm also a bowhunter but one of my main hunting partners is not and has little interest so this is a compromise.:-D

kgriz
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
thanks for the info...will remember to PM you if the need for brass comes to that point-can always use some good reloading advice to pass on to Dad