PDA

View Full Version : LEH moose in region 3?

MichelD
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Tearing my hair out trying to figure out where to apply for moose LEH.

I saw a moose in 3-13 once. One in 3-17 and one in 3-29 too.

I was wondering about 3-18 or 3-19.

Any ideas?

Slee
04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
This guy is still running around north of the loops.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/efdkelly/IMG_5008.jpg

WesHarm
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Gorgeous looking Moose... Man i cant wait to get out and see one for myself!!

betteroffishing
04-08-2011, 05:20 PM
buddy of mine had a leh for 3-18 last season , he didnt get to cut his tag though he did spend a couple weeks / weekends in the area hunting hard. they are there , just not in easily accessible numbers.

RoscoeP
04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Check the Tunkwa Lk resort website, I am pretty sure a couple of guys got LEH moose near there last year. That is 3-18 and 19.

Jagermeister
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I've been thinking 5-13 (north part anytime in Oct) or 7-06.:confused:

Jelvis
04-08-2011, 06:23 PM
1. MU 3-29 by Criss Creek area for moose.
2. Then 3-19
3. Then 3-18 and forget the other ones ......................... lol
Jel

Whonnock Boy
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I saw a moose in 3-13 once. One in 3-17 and one in 3-29 too.

Sorry, but I find it amusing that you are even considering putting in for an LEH in any of these areas considering the number of moose you have seen in each of them. Do you know of any others areas that you have seen better numbers of moose? If so, why not put in for that area?

First you have to be drawn, which is most times the toughest part. With that said, all of the areas that you have mentioned have moose. You just have to find them. They are there. You just have to put your time in and find the pockets that hold them swamp donkeys.

My brother was hunting 3-18 for a few years. Still does. Well, up until last year he had a little honey hole that not many hunters knew about if any. Very small area. He was seeing lots of moose including one big bejeezus bull. A few immatures later then the loggers came in for pine beetle clean up. The trees are now gone, along with the moose.

I guess what I am trying to say is you have to get out and do your homework. I don't think a lot of guys are going to say a whole lot considering the topic. Moose in region 3 is just a little too close to home for most to be giving pointers.

wos
04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I must say one of my pet peeves is the guy who puts in for and gets drawn for hunt that he knows little or nothing about. He puts in one weekend of driving around on opening weekend and heads home skunked. Its my opinion he is steeling opportunity for other hunters

When I am fortunate to pull a draw its usually in an area I have intimate knowledge of and or have scouted the previous season. I put in the time and effort and am often rewarded with a freezer full of meet. IF YOU AREN'T SERIOUS OR DON'T KNOW THE AREA. HUNT THE G.O.S.

Just my .2

Fisher-Dude
04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I must say one of my pet peeves is the guy who puts in for and gets drawn for hunt that he knows little or nothing about. He puts in one weekend of driving around on opening weekend and heads home skunked. Its my opinion he is steeling opportunity for other hunters

When I am fortunate to pull a draw its usually in an area I have intimate knowledge of and or have scouted the previous season. I put in the time and effort and am often rewarded with a freezer full of meet. IF YOU AREN'T SERIOUS OR DON'T KNOW THE AREA. HUNT THE G.O.S.

Just my .2

Poor you. If someone wants to hunt 2 days instead of the 2 weeks you think they should, it's no one's business but their own. You have no better or no worse chance because of it.

You will NOT get drawn more often if you "rid your area" of casual hunters. Your odds are determined ultimately by annual allowable harvest: if everyone hunts hard and is successful, there will be way fewer tags available. If there are some casual hunters with low success rates, there are more tags available because the kill rate is lower.

Your odds of killing a moose is determined by annual allowable harvest, and ultimately not by the number of people who are casual or hardcore hunters. You probably don't get it, but that's the way it is.

wos
04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Fisher Dude I'm not saying don't hunt. Please do. Their is if I'm not mistaken a immature season in region 3. I'm suggesting maybe a person unfamiliar with any area give it a try on a general season the first time out. If they find something of greater interest then start applying for the draws.Trust me I'm not trying to rid my area of hunters that would be impossible:) I'm simply suggesting a better strategy.

bigcountry7
04-09-2011, 12:01 AM
3-12 is really good hathueme lake or anywhere in the area lots of moose around

Darksith
04-09-2011, 07:00 AM
lots of moose around little fort and up on the plateau above little fort. Also lots of moose around the knouff lake area.

dana
04-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I think it's great that someone is actually doing their homework before the draws. Asking questions and finding out issues is all part of the process. I commend you for doing that first to make up your mind on where to put in. Too many times we see a flood of questions after the draw. People get excited by lower odds and so they put in only to be drawn and find out there were reasons the odds were so low. Now is the time to ask questions. Now is the time to get informed on the units you are thinking about putting in.
As for the units you asked about, they are all good for moose. I actually know of 2 immys that were killed side by side in one of those units last year. IMO the Oct hunt is a better bet because you can take advantage of calling during the rut. Seems the Nov hunt can be very dependant on snow. But, that being said, guys shoot moose in Nov every year. Sometimes you just have to work harder in Nov is all.
As for the comments regarding the pine beetle logging and moose, I can tell ya moose love those new cuts. Lots of leave patches that have Riparian areas in them. Focus on those areas. It is amazing how a couple ha's of dead timber around a wetland can hide a moose or two.

fearnodeer
04-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Funny thing my buddy and i were thinking this year we would put in for a different area for moose as well, and with leh it would improve are odds. ( reg 3-30 ) I thought if we get draw and don't get it well i guess there is just one more for next year.

henderson
04-09-2011, 07:52 AM
I hunted 3-30 last year, had the Oct. LEH and it was a gong show of hunters. Was up there opening day for 5 days and saw one bull running away. Lots of cows and lots of hunters. That weekend I know of 1 spike fork down and two deer. Went back the last weekend of Oct. and it was DEAD. Again saw lots of cows no bulls...

Friends had the Nov. draw they were setting up camp as we were heading home... Got there two bulls on day 3 and 4 of a week long hunt. There is moose there...but it can get really busy early Oct with any buck open and Spike fork. My .02! Good luck where ever you decide to go!

KevinB
04-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey Michel, both 3-18 and 3-19 hold good numbers of moose, at least in spots. 3-28/3-29 are good too. I'm not familiar with the odds in any of the areas as I don't apply for LEH, or even hunt moose for that matter, around here. I'd probably just apply for the area with the best odds and go from there.

And, if you get any of those draws, you have a place to stay if you want, as always!

And, I agree with FD, he's bang on. LEH is there for everyone. Personally, I'm happy to see other hunters out in the woods.

Darksith
04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
find the swamps in any of the areas around kamloops and you'll have success. Start calling the moose in the first week of oct.

Farmer
04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Michel,
My brother had a cow tag around Tunkwa 3-4 years ago and he filled his tag after a couple days of hunting. It was the November season and we saw 4 moose in 3 or 4 days of hunting. We have hunted this MU several times over the years for deer and we have usually see at least one moose per trip. I like the idea of calling in October, but that is our busy time on the farm.
Gord

Stormy57
04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
This past season, I saw one 3pt Bull (down), 2 cows and 1 calf in 3-28.

Orangethunder
04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I think that the Tum Tum has the best moose hunting and as an added bonus you might find a black bear although I heard the locals cleaned most of the bears up.

sean laxton
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Sorry, but I find it amusing that you are even considering putting in for an LEH in any of these areas considering the number of moose you have seen in each of them. Do you know of any others areas that you have seen better numbers of moose? If so, why not put in for that area?

First you have to be drawn, which is most times the toughest part. With that said, all of the areas that you have mentioned have moose. You just have to find them. They are there. You just have to put your time in and find the pockets that hold them swamp donkeys.

My brother was hunting 3-18 for a few years. Still does. Well, up until last year he had a little honey hole that not many hunters knew about if any. Very small area. He was seeing lots of moose including one big bejeezus bull. A few immatures later then the loggers came in for pine beetle clean up. The trees are now gone, along with the moose.

I guess what I am trying to say is you have to get out and do your homework. I don't think a lot of guys are going to say a whole lot considering the topic. Moose in region 3 is just a little too close to home for most to be giving pointers.
well said! too many out of region hunters,country way too open.toosmall of secret pockets.

Gateholio
04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
3-18s odds are pretty high, but there seems to be a number of moose there. You are rolling the dice with the application, but if you get it, there is a good chance of success.

shotgunner
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
You saw the only moose there are i n region 3. Head out farther north to see any numbers

MichelD
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

A buddy whom I've hunted waterfowl with and scouted for goats with as well has asked me to join him in applying for a Region 7 LEH authorization, so yes, I'm heading farther north.

Fisher-Dude
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
well said! too many out of region hunters,country way too open.toosmall of secret pockets.

Do those "out of region hunters" have any less right to BC's wildlife than you do?

johnk
04-14-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey All! Haven't been around for awhile since moving to "The Patch" but last October took a sentimental trip back to Tunkwa and 3-18 for my 50th in early October. It just so happened that a former longtime customer/friend was over from the Island and had a bull draw. After talking we learned he had only seen the odd cow in the previous four days so I said let me unpack and we'll go to my honeyhole (like there is such a thing) which turned out to be a small cutblock that people just drive on by. In order to save embarassment I'll call the three Islanders "Larry" "Curly" and "Moe". We got to the spur road to find a bunch of blowdowns across the road and knowing that there was a vicious windstorm three weeks prior I was stoked realizing no one had been in there. We parked 300 yds. before the cutblock and off we went. Upon reaching the edge of the slash I noticed a cow moose down at the bottom feeding side by side with a huge muley doe! Promising sign. Being as Larry had the tag we sent Curly down the left side of the slash and Larry accompanied me to my groundblind. We knew something was up after my first cow-call as Curly started jumping up and down pointing to the bush. I started calling more frequently and the grunting was moving up the treeline just off the slash coming closer. One more real mournful bawl and out he came. After glassing and ascertaining he was a small 5x5 I told Larry to line him up and plug him! Well after the first miss the bull totally cooperated and turned perfectly broadside and kaboom.....missed again! All I could say was WTF! This bull was perfect at 200 yds. and I had to ask Larry if he sighted his rifle in to which he replied yes as soon as they arrived. So I'm guessing the Island Boys had some serious buck fever. For the last hour of daylight we scoured the ground just in case Larry hit him but to no avail. The plan was to meet back there the next morning just after daybreak but when we arrived Curly and Moe had gone ahead, trounced through the slash and jumped a larger bull tending a cow who then bolted straight across the block and into the deep timber. So nothing for the Island boys except a couple medium muley bucks but everyone had a great time and it was good to get back to the old stomping grounds! Cheers.

4 point
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Good story Johnk. Is moose fever just like buck fever.....?There are pockets of moose in many of Reg 3 mu's. Time in field, knowledge of moose, moose habitat, weather, pressure etc all play into a successful LEH hunt if your lucky enough to get drawn. If no draw it's the elusive immature which can be real hard to find. Usually just stumble on them while muley hunting.

.257mag
04-14-2011, 02:41 PM
3-28,3-30,3-39 would be and is my choice years I have'nt got a draw I've shot immatures and I do see alot of moose in these areas

bforce750
04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
How about take your family on a nice camping trip to Chetwynd August 15th, shoot any bull moose you see.. 2 black bears and an elk , this way you don't have to worry about LEH's at all....

bforce750
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Do those "out of region hunters" have any less right to BC's wildlife than you do?

YES!!!! thats a silly question FD.....lol...

4 point
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Rember when there was lots of moose around Brdige lake .257mag. Bet the numbers are down now?

ElliotMoose
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Indeed, numbers around bridge lake are down. Alot of poaching going on. 12 cow moose shot dead and left to rot were found on a single 40 km stretch of road in the 2009 season

Ltbullken
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I got an LEH in 3-18 last year for the November hunt. We saw ONE moose... and it came to a cow call out of perfect moose habitat and it ended up in the freezer! After all that with hopes for a nice big bull, it was a spiker immature. Go figure. Anyway, it is great eating.

There are moose in any of the MU 's mentioned. I like 3-18, 3-28, 3-29 and anywhere in the northern parts of Reg 3. Especially in this region, you need to spend time, know moose habitat and behaviour, find the pockets and work them wisely (general hunting advice all round you say?). Moose are in not abundance in Reg 3, compared to Reg 6 or 7, though it is getting better than years before I think.

SUAFOYT
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM

This has been covered before. The argument by the "locals" that there too many out of towners here or there is ridiculous. The stats that are available from the Ministry consistently show that the hunters in a given area predominately reside within the area. People tend to look for scapegoats when they have a lack of success either with the LEH or with their hunt. As far as BC residents go, we all have the same rights within the province- full stop. We don't want to go down the slippery slope of having some number cruncher somehow weighting where we can hunt based on where we live within BC.

Ltbullken
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
This has been covered before. The argument by the "locals" that there too many out of towners here or there is ridiculous. The stats that are available from the Ministry consistently show that the hunters in a given area predominately reside within the area. People tend to look for scapegoats when they have a lack of success either with the LEH or with their hunt. As far as BC residents go, we all have the same rights within the province- full stop. We don't want to go down the slippery slope of having some number cruncher somehow weighting where we can hunt based on where we live within BC.

Here, here!! We are all BC residents, we have a right to hunt anywhere in the province. If the locals don't like it, they can come hunt in my neighbourhood!!

kamkid49
04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
yea.....but who spotted your imature for ya buddy??....lol...

.257mag
04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
numbers might me down from years ago- but I have seen more moose in the last2 years then i've seen in the last 10

.257mag
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
as for 12 left to rot where was this?-around bridge lake?-never heard that before I however do find i or 2 a year that have 1 to many points that are left

B.S.A.30/06
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Well said Fisher- Dude

Caveman
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
There are pockets of moose in all there units. The problem in most cases is local knowledge will prevail where they reside. I am quite familiar with several of these units. All good choices. The only one I have little knowledge of is 3-13. One is as good as the next, just the odds

Sooke Hunter
05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been thinking 5-13 (north part anytime in Oct) or 7-06.:confused:

Good call....LEH authorizations are relatively high and odds favourable....access limited!!

Ltbullken
05-11-2011, 07:43 PM
yea.....but who spotted your imature for ya buddy??....lol...

Not sure what your point is, but I spotted it, etc.