PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly LEH - thoughtI got pranked

Mr. Friendly
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
just got a call from a rep at LEH BC who said my Grizz LEH bounced back to them as undeliverable. I had moved since the card was submitted, so that's not a surprise and gave them my new address. unfortunately, I had misheard where the hunt was approved, 3-11, of which doesn't actually exist, making us think we'd been unusually pranked. called BC Wildlife and confirmed with the same rep (hey Ian!) that it was a legit call (was fearful after giving out my new address of a possible firearm theft). anyhow, my dyslexia hit me...it's actually 4-31 in Nakusp.

that said...I put in cause it was an option. I'm not a trophy hunter (but a rug would be made!), but would eat it as a meat. so now I'm wondering...who eats grizz and what are their thoughts on it? I love black bear, so I have no problems with eating a grizz, but my brother doesn't consider grizz as something edible. being he's my wheels, I need him behind me to do this, if we do it.

so who's eaten or does eat grizz and what do you think of it?

GoatGuy
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
It's normally pretty good.

Given the MU, at this point your biggest challenge is going to be finding one. It can be a tough zone.

Caribou_lou
04-07-2011, 01:15 PM
My family has eaten both of the grizzlies we have harvested. They were both spring interior bears. Smoked and cured hams were the best. Breakfast sausages and hot rods turned out good also. Prepare as you would a black bear.

Good Luck on your hunt

Mr. Friendly
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
what you said is what I thought, Lou. thanks! I'm sure I can bring my brother around...specially since he's going to be going for a blackie, as will I, at the same time. we had a spring black bear hunt organized already...we'd just shift the what/where and go from there.

Crazy.kayaker
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm not liking the idea of you with a gizzly in your sights using a 30-06 and me with a single shot 45/70....considering your history last fall with bears.

Caribou_lou
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not liking the idea of you with a gizzly in your sights using a 30-06 and me with a single shot 45/70....considering your history last fall with bears.

Took my Grizzly with a 30-06, shot was quartering towards me. I had my father backing me up but there was no need for a follow up shot. It will do the job.

Crazy.kayaker
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Took my Grizzly with a 30-06, shot was quartering towards me. I had my father backing me up but there was no need for a follow up shot. It will do the job.

you missed the part about my brother having a history with bears last fall and the implication it wasn't good.....

Caribou_lou
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
you missed the part about my brother having a history with bears last fall and the implication it wasn't good.....

I never missed it... I never miss! I'm just a positive thinker!!