PDA

View Full Version : A Hunt in Spain

BCHunterFSJ
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
As promised in an earlier post, here is the story of my hunt in Spain. As you will see, it did not work out the way I had hoped it would...

A Hunt in Spain

Another hunting dream was coming true for me in 2011. I was going to Spain to hunt ibex and mouflon. Ibex are members of the goat family native to the Near East and Mediterranean Europe. There are four varieties of ibex in Spain, and I would be hunting the Southeastern or Sierra Nevada type. Mouflon are wild sheep originally found in the Middle East and later introduced to the southern parts of Europe. I made a booking with Alfonso (Alf) of Spain Outfitters the previous year and now it was time for another grand adventure. As usual, my wife was accompanying me. We flew to Madrid, rented a car, and proceeded to explore Spain and Portugal where we eagerly sampled their delicious tapas and fine rioja wines.
We eventually reached the historic city called Granada where we met up with our outfitter and were driven into the Sierra Nevada range, containing Spain’s highest mountains. Our destination was the little town of Pueblo de Don Fadrique and the hunting estate called the Finca La Cizana, where Alf had hunting rights. As far as I could figure out, there is no such thing as crown land in Spain and all hunting is done on private land. The estate where we would be hunting was over 3000 hectares in area! The villa we were housed in belongs to a millionaire Spanish economist who is also an international hunter. When the king of Spain comes hunting, he stays in the same building!
The next day we started the hunt. Our guide’s name was Andres who did not speak a word of English. Luckily, Alf was with us for the duration of the hunt as well. The mountains here are crisscrossed by numerous “roads”, many of which were only climbable in the old Land Rover’s Low Range four wheel drive. Most days started with us crawling up these trails to the top of a mountain and then glassing for hours. We spotted many animals every day – ibex, mouflons, fallow deer, red deer, and even aoudads. When a promising animal was spotted the stalks were on! We quickly learned that the game were extremely wary here, and most times by the time we got to where we thought they should be, they were long gone. Other times they were just not up to our trophy standards. By the end of the third day I still had not seen anything to shoot at…
The fourth day was the beginning of the end, when my Spanish dreams went up in smoke! From our high vantage point we spotted a herd of about a dozen ibex, and a couple of them really looked good. After a very lengthy stalk, Alf and I got to within 100 meters of them. He pointed out the biggest animal, set up the shooting sticks and told me to shoot. I did, but at the recoil lost the sight picture and did not see whether or not I had made a hit. But Alf was jumping up and down and congratulating me and saying that he had seen the animal drop. Meanwhile, very uncharacteristically, the rest of the ibex stood up and posed for us before
slowly heading up the mountain. We made our way across a deep ravine to claim my trophy; except that it wasn’t there… Guide Andres joined us for the search, but it was futile. However, we did find a few drops of blood and then nothing else. To say that I was devastated would be an understatement…
On the fifth day the outfitter brought out Franco the tracking dog (a Teckel) and we set off to try and find my animal. However, when the blood trail petered out, there was no more tracking to do. After a very dejected lunch we set off to look for a mouflon. And we found one; and Alf assured me that it was either a high silver or gold medal trophy. This time the stalk was easy and soon we were watching two gorgeous rams feeding in a little field, less than 150 meters away and completely ignorant of our presence. The sticks went up, I shot, and missed! Alf shouted at me to shoot again at the now running through the thick pines animal, and I did. All we found was a couple of drops of blood… I was so upset that my wife thought I was going to have a heart attack! On the sixth and last day, out came Franco the Wonder Dog, who once again with only a couple of blood drops at his disposal, quickly lost the trail.
So what happened? Well, I’m not going to make any excuses. It was nobody’s fault but my own. But it did hurt! I wounded two magnificent animals, lost my Spanish hunting dreams, and still had to pay the trophy fees (5000 Euros) on the lost animals (even though they were only very lightly hit). All in all, it was for me an ethical, a personal, and a financial disaster. But no excuses… I can, however, think of some reasons why this may have happened and can hopefully learn from my mistakes. Firstly, I was unfamiliar with the firearm. I did not bring my own, using one that the outfitter provided. It had a very sensitive hair trigger that I was not used to, and on the mouflon I believe that the rifle discharged before I had settled the cross hairs on a vital spot. Secondly, I was not used to shooting from sticks, but on the ibex I had no choice if I was to get a shot. Thirdly, taking a shot at an animal running through thick bush, even if your guide tells you to, was complete idiocy. If I hadn’t fired there would have been no blood and I would have gone on to hunt another mouflon and maybe redeem myself.
And so ends the sad story of my failed Spanish hunt…

BCHunterFSJ
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Here's some pics of my hunt in Spain, including mouflon and ibex that I could/should have had...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/178-Copy426x640.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/1492640x398.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/158-Copy640x424.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/1562640x426.jpg

04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
UUUG,

Sorry, I cant imagine how that felt.
This might not come out right but at least you got to go to Spain. Id love to go there to see the country. Unfortunetly I think the cost will keep me out. So in a way you were lucky.

Krico
04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for an honest hunt report. Sucks that it didn't work out, sometimes that happens. At least you're not on here blaming everyone else. Almost all the hunters I know have blown opportunities. The rest are liars.

Got any more pics?

Everett
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you for a well written story. What I have learned from it is bring your own rifle and don't let the guides instruction over ride your years of hunting exsperiance. I would assume if you are in anyway competent shot that something was up with the rifle. A competent shooter does not miss at 100m unless something is wrong.
How many practice rounds did they allow you with the rifle?

Kody94
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, and sorry to hear how it worked out for you.

A lot of folks that haven't hunted abroad don't really understand the mental aspect of hunting in that kind of an environment. Its pretty gut wrenching when you wound and lose something at home, but its an order of magnitude worse when you are on a hunt like that and have so much riding on it (might never get the opportunity again) and when you have to pay the full bill with nothing but a story about a scant blood trail.

Before my trips to Africa I have typically spent hours and literally thousands of rounds at the range practicing. Lots of pressure to overcome, and you never know what kind of chances you might have to take to be successful on a short hunt with your life savings to that point invested in it. :) Lots of practice off of sticks too, knowing that's the most common field shot used in Africa by far.

I have used borrowed rifles on two hunts...definitely not ideal, and does not help with the confidence. Did you at least get to take a few practice shots with it?

KB90
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your trip although I'm sure it was a neat experience hunting in spain! What made you decide on hunting there?

Curious and you could answer in PM if you'd like, what was the total cost of a trip like that?

BCHunterFSJ
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your trip although I'm sure it was a neat experience hunting in spain! What made you decide on hunting there?

Curious and you could answer in PM if you'd like, what was the total cost of a trip like that?

I had already hunted Africa and New Zealand. Read some Boddington articles in Peterson's Hunting and watched some Shockey videos about ibex hunting. Also had never been to Spain and Portugal.

Total cost? Almost 10 000 Euros for the hunt itself (including wife as observer)... And then there is the airfare!

WesHarm
04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Wow, when i finished that story my heart hurt for ya :( But like everyone said, at least you got to see some gorgeous country and some phenomenal animals!

David Heitsman
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I have found that I tend to 'rock' shots off sticks. When you settle on them and press the trigger I think for myself, anyway, that I tend to dip the stock. This creates a fulcrum effect on the narrow point where your gun hits the
sticks raising your barrel end. I'm not even sure how perceptive the shooter is of this thru the scope either.

I had to pay the trophy fee for a kudu in RSA once after I knocked it down and was told that it was down for good only to have it rise and head for the bush with cows in tow. This all happened after the hugs and backslaps and then everyone realized that we had a problem. Blood dried up in a few hours and with no kudu left on his quota, I was unfortunately stuck paying the fee and taking nothing back home with me.

Hopefully there was other portions of the hunt that were good to ease some of the pain from not bringing something home.

whitetailsheds
04-08-2011, 05:03 PM
That's a tough one Vic.....regardless, quite the opportunity to see and experience some of this world. Good on ya for that! Will PM you....