PDA

View Full Version : MU area 6-5 and 6-6 access for moose hunt

Karlolof
04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi ya'll
So i am starting to think about the fall again!
I have some questions about MU area 6-5 and 6-6 between Burns lake and Babine Lake. I have heard some good things about this area but i wanted to check more. How is the access north of Burns lake? Is the road fairly accessible? I can see on google earth that there is a lot of road coverage. I am not only road hunting but nice to move around a bit when needed.
Next question is how is the hunting? Has anybody got any information they would not mind sharing.

Thanks for any help

XPEIer
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
in 6-5 last year for 8 days, never seen a living moose, had one shot about a km from us and that was all we seen. Never been to 6-6. Also, they are doing major logging in the area, chasing pine beetle big time.

Darksith
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
there are tons of accessible roads in the MUs you are looking at. You can drive a lot, but your best bet will be to get out and walk the swamps. Timing is everything, lots of moose, but also lots of people, including FN, so the easy ones get taken pretty quickly. Some guys that live up there get a moose every year, others rarely, so its all about finding a good spot with moose around. Sitting on small swampy lakes is a good way to find the moose if you are there at the right time. I would say sept 15-30 is probably the best time for the rutt in that area. Its been 10 years since I left burns lake, but things don't change much. Get on the babine lake road, find sideroads, if you have a quad that will get you into roads that have been deactivated. The Auger main is also a great place to go. Make base camp and hunt from there, no need to relocate after that.

Karlolof
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, this area sounds interesting but of course that does not always translate to a good shot. I wish it was closer to home so i could go and take a look but that is not possible.
Yah i am going to try for the early draw for September if i decide on this area. No quad for me but a good pair of hikeing boots i do have.

Machinist
04-09-2011, 06:35 AM
6-06 is my go to area for moose , our family has hunted that area fo the last 22 years and we have taken many moose out of there , the best time we have found for the rut is from Sept 25 through the first week and a half of October , the problem is getting the leh, tags at that time of the fall , they only issue 9 tags for Sept 25 to Oct 19 , and they are difficult to draw , We have had sucess with the early tags as well Sept 10 to Sept 24 , at that time it all depends on the weather , it can be really warm / hot at that time of the season, 4 years ago we were swimming in one of the lakes on Sept 18 it was so hot out and the moose were hard to find , acess is really good lots of roads and great places to camp , and the fishing is really good in the area as well , not going to tell you where we hunt , thoes honey holes have taken us years of pounding to find , only thing i can say is get away from the main roads and walk back in a ways , a boat is a good tool to use that way you can get on one of the many lakes and get into areas where there is no road acess ,we mostly use calling at that time of the year to bring in the bulls probably 90 % of the moose we have taken have been called in , watch the cut blocks they can be productive as well, and we don't use quads , everything comes out by dragging or by boat.
Hope this helps :-D

Karlolof
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks a lot, this was a lot of help