PDA

View Full Version : Jet boats

pete_k
04-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Probably be looking at jet boats as were moving to PG.
Anyone hear of Exact Welding? They make some good looking boats.
Got any tips on what to consider? ie: pump/jet types, engine types?
Boat to be used for hunting, fishing, family outings and exploring the Fraser and Nechako etc.
I'll imagine it should have teflon put on at the factory.
Thanks

white moose
04-07-2011, 12:30 AM
You should check out firefish boats. I purchased a hammerhead model with a variable hull and full teflon. It has a 350 with a scott pump. no problems yet, but she is heavy and likes the fuel. Haven't been out in any real skinny water yet, but am told this a great boat.

wos
04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm a big fan of the merc sport jet it makes for a lighter boat definitely put a nylon bottom on it .When at the gas pump don't look at the price.

ryanhuntslots
04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Exact builds a good boat, so does ali-craft and omineca. Shop around a little, find what you really like, its a big investment. Happy shoppping though!

jughead
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I have owned five differen't jet boats. The one I liked the best was built by Marathon Marine in Edmonton, it had a v six, berkley pump, was 22.5 feet long and a six foot bottom, teflon only down two feet of centre. It packed big loads, was economical to operate, had a eight degree hull. This boat ran real!! skinney water, and shut down and took off in eight inches of water. I also know three guys who have 18 to 2o foot boats, with the sport jet. They really like their boats. The only problem , I have heard about the sport Jet is make sure and get the higher horsepower engine, the lower ones tend to blow up. You need to do some home work and ask yourself what am I going to use the boat for. Small rivers or bigger rivers, day trips, or camping out , hunting , number of people etc.

PG hunter
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
It`s all about money,and what you want to do with the boat..gas prices are`nt getting any cheaper!Exploring the Nechako and Fraser and other rivers around here like the Mcgregor and Parsnip you don`t need major HP or teflon but if you`ve got the bucks go for it.Lots of people run sportjets but at 15 grand new,plus oil and high rpm a 4stroke suits me plus the low end torque,but yes the spotjets are lighter.I`ve got a 17foot,12deg.hull with an American Turbine 309 driven by a 470 Merc...an older motor but at 4-5 gals/hr I don`t mind taking it out and it`ll still scare the hell out of the old lady.

blaker_99
04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
We have an awsome Lowe full factory camo with an outboardet its awsome. I know you are looking for a more serious river boat, you may want to send RockDoctor a message he is a jet boat nut!!

sheepaholic
04-10-2011, 10:41 AM
My buddy just got a boat built by alicraft he got a great deal and an awsome boat cant wait to be heading up a river sheep hunting this year

ryanb
04-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Firefish, Alicraft, Omineca, Exact will all build you a boat just the way you want it. You just have to decide which way you want it. Lighter and smaller with a sportjet, easier to handle on top of a gravel bar, or bigger and heavier with a v8, pack a bigger load. Deeper vee for lakes and big rivers, or shallow vee for skinny water. Decide whether you want it to be able to bounce off rocks with minimal damage. Decide whether you want lots of options to keep you want and cozy, or a barebones hunting machine. UHMW is great for skinny water, reduces damage from scrapes and bumps and helps keep you from hanging up on gravel bars as easy. Also makes pushing off when you do get high and dry easier...but nothing comes without a price, it adds a fair bit of weight and drag to the boat.

srupp
04-12-2011, 08:02 AM
hmmm Lynx??? Tuchodi special..out of Red Deer Alberta..

Steven

pete_k
04-16-2011, 01:15 PM
. You just have to decide which way you want it.
I want it all baby.
Honestly, I'm going to have to spend some time to find out what I'll need in the area. I suspect that running super skinny water will not be on my agenda.
I've seen videos of these guys trashing thier boats. I don't have that much money. The boat I want will have to accomodate:
- exploring Quesnel Lake and maybe Williston on calm days (so I guess a deep or semi V)
- has to have a top and heater (it'll be run till the lakes freeze over) Are Sportjets heater compatable?
- exploring Fraser, Nechako and McGregor and whatver else is up there.
- should be reasonable on fuel. Still have to research this.But I hear 4 or 5 GPM is economical for a jetboat? ($20 to $25 per hour)
any of you Sportjet guys know your fuel consumption?
- I'd imagine 18 foot should be enough
- should have a winch, just in case for hitting sandbars
- probably the teflon. Even though I wont be on skinny water, but you never know what can creep up on you.
- also setup nicely for fishing

04-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Remember that UHMW adds weight and drag, costs a big a chunk of change to add, and does have a service life to it. If you are not going to be running skinny save the cash and the loss in speed and GPH of UHMW, jump up to 1/4 inch bottom and paint on slip kote so if you do run skinny it will be easier to push. Same goes for the winch, with a smaller boat cutting weight is one of the best things that you can do so why pay for a winch to drag around all the time. No heater with a sport jet, but with the cash you save on the UHMW I would add an Espar diesel heater so you can have heat with the boat not running or to defrost the boat on those cold mornings before you go out- and it works while the boat is running. Remember too that sport jets use two stroke oil so that should be included in the GPH number.

04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Don't forget HCM or Riddle marine in the states, they make great boats.

ryanb
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
My little 15' boat with 200 optimax sportjet uses about 5.5GPH at its most economical. This is good for about 40kph over the water. Keep in mind this is lightly loaded. Having said that the hull design of my boat is not the most drag efficient, the boat is very heavy for its size, and has a rough bottom with UHMW and several hundred holes for the bolts. I would think an 18' modestly loaded with an efficent hull would see similar fuel consumption and probably a bit better speed.

wos
04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a 175 in a 19' boat with Teflon. if you run around full throttle it uses the fuel. hold it at 4200 rpm and its a reasonably economical (but we are talking Jet boats) Its best to pick your boat and power plant based on intended use not on fuel economy. so for me I have a boat that I can get off a gravel bar without to much struggling It corners good and can carry me a passenger plus hunting gear. Or 6 people and all the fishing gear we would need. When I need heat I bring my Colman heater It keeps you warm even with the boat turned off.

Riverratz
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
My 20' Alicraft with 250 SJ, full UHMD 10 deg. bottom, 7'6" beam, hi-skew imp./stainless sleeve, will get about 4.5 - 5 gph in empty config. Fully loaded with 3000 lb. of fuel, people and gear, it's around 10 gph. That's best cruise, just above minimum planing speed. Push it faster and the numbers get higher. These numbers are variable depending on many factors.
In reality, there is no true constant "gallons per hour" for ANY boat, jet powered or not.
The best you can hope for is an overall average rate. Fuel consumption is constantly variable depending on many factors. Simply having the boat full of fuel or near empty has an effect on fuel consumption, as does load wt., load placement, current, wind, impeller condition, water conditions, temperatures, etc. etc.

Here's an exact number for you: my boat burned exactly 1 liter/km. on a trip of approx. 450 km..........1.2 L/km going up, 0.8 L/km going down, fully loaded with approx. 2800# on board. This is an exact figure, (no guessing or wild obscure calculations), via the Merc. SmartCraft gauge in the boat. It is absolutely accurate.

Jet boats are thirsty........all of them !!! If you're seriously contemplating buying one, think long and hard about the operating costs.

Yes you can get a heater kit for SJ's: http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=H401SJ

bridger
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
river boating is a hoot for sure, but as riverratz sez it can be pricey. when i bought my boat a friend asked my wife; "do you know what b-o-a-t means?"

Bring Over Another Thousand have fun and stay off the rocks

loneeagle
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
your buddy got a good boat alicraft boats are know canada wide as one of the top boat builders

vip_ruger
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I run a fire fish and love it it burn average of 5.5 gph 200 s/j and can pack a big load and its not scared of skinny water they make all sizes and are reasonable pricing

Kapow
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I have 17'8 , 10 degree, uhmw, 8' beam, 350 vortech. I would never get another riverboat without the uhmw. However, there are times when i wished i had a sportjet for the real skinny water but i love the speed and torque of the v8 especially when zippen across a 10 mile lake at only 2800 rpm. Dont ever get stuck with a v8 either, unless you have atleast 4 guys to help push.

bighorn
02-07-2022, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know of a place on Vancouver island that will put teflon on my jet boat

browningboy
02-11-2022, 06:56 AM
Does anyone know of a place on Vancouver island that will put teflon on my jet boat

Tommycraft in Maple Ridge

dmaxtech
02-11-2022, 10:56 AM
High Caliber in Agassiz. http://www.highcaliberbc.ca/customize-your-boat/

nedarb2
02-11-2022, 06:29 PM

nobody on the island. You can do it yourself. I just did mine over Christmas.