PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with the Lower Mainland BCWF members????

Gateholio
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I just got home from our club meeting, which was attended by LM BCWF reps. They gave us some startling news:

The BCWF AGM is being held in Surrey this year and there are 30 000 BCWF members in the LM region. Guess how many volunteers have stepped up?

25. Yup, TWENTY FIVE.

Our club is at the fringes of Reg 2, quite a long drive to volunteer so we elected to donate $3 per member to the AGM for a total of $1000.

When we do one of our banquets we get about 40 volunteers from a club of just over 300. 25 from THOUSANDS is pathetic!

So what is the rest of the LM BCWF members doing to help with the AGM? They need volunteers and donations! Get involved!

oldschoolguy
04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I think I may be a member through the local gun club. What do we need to do?

Gateholio
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?62096-BCWF-AGM-in-Surrey

This years BCWF annual convention is being held in surrey from the 12th to the 16 of April 2011. Out of a membership of close to 40,000 members, about 30,000 of which are in the lower mainland, at this time we would request a number of volunteers to help make this the best convention ever and something to be proud of. I hope that we can muster up a bunch of help and make it the best convention.

Please Contact Jim Helsdon at (604) 533-7922 or jhelsdon@shaw.ca to volunteer..it can be a lot of fun and put us on the map.....thx fowl

bridger
04-07-2011, 05:51 AM
our club members are too far away to volunteer but we sent a $1,000 donation to help out. what about the rest of you members"

fowl language
04-07-2011, 07:34 AM
thx clark,,at least the huntbc members should be proud as 8 of the volunteers come from this site after i volunteered a goose hunt to the best volunteers.at least some have a sense of committee......fowl

Mr. Dean
04-07-2011, 08:41 AM
I volunteer my liver. :cool:

Gun Dog
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I just got home from our club meeting, which was attended by LM BCWF reps. They gave us some startling news:

The BCWF AGM is being held in Surrey this year and there are 30 000 BCWF members in the LM region. Guess how many volunteers have stepped up?

25. Yup, TWENTY FIVE.
I have no idea if I'm still a member (since it was through a club and I didn't renew) and I had no idea there was an AGM. Maybe the BCWF does a poor job of promoting itself.

In any case, volunteerism seems to be on the decline -- especially in urban areas where people expect the government to do everything.

Gateholio
04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I have no idea if I'm still a member (since it was through a club and I didn't renew) and I had no idea there was an AGM. Maybe the BCWF does a poor job of promoting itself.

In any case, volunteerism seems to be on the decline -- especially in urban areas where people expect the government to do everything.

I am sure they will take nonmember volunteers, too....

Contact info is above! :)

Gunner
04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
That is absolutely shameful. Gunner

BigfishCanada
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Had no idea this was even going on, more volunteers im sure if we knew about it!

Gateholio
04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm surprised that nobody knows about this, considering there have ben threads here on HBC and it's been advertised in the Outdoor Edge magazine that all BCWF members get, plus in the BCWF mailers that get sent to clubs. I wonder how well clubs disperse the BCWF information to thier members? We have the info at every meeting but apparently this is not the case with all clubs.

Anyway, there is still time to sign up to be a volunteer! Over 400 views on this thread so certainly more people are informed now...

The Hermit
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
VantagePoint Outfitters and KOWA have donated a pair of Genesis Prominar 10x33 binos valued at around $1,500 for the fund raiser. Hope that there is a great turn out and that you buy lots of tickets!! I'll be attending as a delegate from Victoria F&G. Hope to meet lots of you guys at the fund raiser! Apparently Fisher Dude is buying me a couple beer and the line starts on the left!!

Fisher-Dude
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
VantagePoint Outfitters and KOWA have donated a pair of Genesis Prominar 10x33 binos valued at around $1,500 for the fund raiser. Hope that there is a great turn out and that you buy lots of tickets!! I'll be attending as a delegate from Victoria F&G. Hope to meet lots of you guys at the fund raiser! Apparently Fisher Dude is buying me a couple beer and the line starts on the left!!

It's a "couple beer" now, is it? Talk about inflation!

Our club has donated prizes, as has OKBCWF region 8. Hope to see some familiar and new faces at Hermit's beer chugging demonstration! :D

Weatherby Fan
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
thx clark,,at least the huntbc members should be proud as 8 of the volunteers come from this site after i volunteered a goose hunt to the best volunteers.at least some have a sense of committee......fowl

Hey Dale
I'm just back at work until the 14th,I can't be sure I'll be home but if I am I will call as soon as I know and you can use and abuse as you see fit as I will be off work for a week.
Don-WF

weatherby_man
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I work with another volunteer org that works with BCWF on a lot of committees and such. Its not just BCWF, there just seems to be a lot of apathy out there and volunteers are getting harder and harder to come by. You always seem to see the same old guard out there year after year. Our youngest volunteer is in his 40's. There doesnt seem to be any interest with the younger guys to get involved, at least in the LM.

TPK
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
If you are a member of a club and haven't heard about the AGM .. here are some questions that need to be asked ..
1) Is our club affiliated with the BCWF? and if so, why hasn't the correspondence from the BCWF to the club been properly passed on to our members at our meetings (because there has been lots from the BCWF sent to ALL affiliated clubs).
2) If our club is not affiliated with the BCWF .. why not?

We have a small club but always send a $$ donation.

As Gatehouse has pointed out, there have been numerous threads here about it... so I'm not sure why the AGM is a suprise to some folks .. just gotta get out more I guess :-D

04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Apparently Fisher Dude is buying me a couple beer and the line starts on the left!!

It's a "couple beer" now, is it? Talk about inflation!

You too, he's gonna go home broke and pizzed...!!!

Steeleco
04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
To be the devils advocate for just a second!! I volunteered myself and Buckwheat just as soon as I saw the post here. BUT just moments ago I fired off another e-mail as I've had no direction as to what we'll be doing or even if they still need us. But I suppose that question was just answered with Gates first post. LOL

Old Crow
04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
LOL of those 30,000 Lowermainland Members I wonder how many of em signed up for the Liabelity insurance???I bet ya its around 75%..I know that why I became a member..It definately wasnt for they're veiws on fisheries conservation

Weatherby Fan
04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm a member at the Mission R&G.C and they sent a paper notice in the mail with my memebership renewal as your BCWF membership is included with your Mission R&G.C membership,but in all fairness as Gatehouse has pointed it was discussed on here in a previous thread but it was a while back....... out of sight out of mind !
No worries as I'm sure there lots of good people on here who can step up and donate some time.
I think Fowl Language said there was free BEER for volunteers !

Chris76239
04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I agree, I'm not part of any rod and gun club but I am a BCWF member. I only found this by surfing through this site. No email or letter from BCWF.

Gateholio
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
LOL of those 30,000 Lowermainland Members I wonder how many of em signed up for the Liabelity insurance???I bet ya its around 75%..I know that why I became a member..It definately wasnt for they're veiws on fisheries conservation

Yup, too many people are all about themselves and take, take, take for themselves. Pathetic.

Steeleco
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Just got my note back from Jim H. If you want to sign up, they're organizing things as we speak!!!

Gateholio
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Just got my note back from Jim H. If you want to sign up, they're organizing things as we speak!!!

great to see you guys stepping up to help out! It will be a great experience, I am sure! :)

Fisher-Dude
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
You too, he's gonna go home broke and pizzed...!!!

I promised Aleshia at the BCWF office a beer too for organizing some paperwork for me. By her gender alone, she's far ahead of you two old coots in the beer lineup. ;)

04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I promised Aleshia at the BCWF office a beer too for organizing some paperwork for me. By her gender alone, she's far ahead of you two old coots in the beer lineup. ;)

When she gets a look at old Hermit's felt hat she'll kick us all aside.

fowlweather
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
ha i am a youth delegate and signed up to volunteer back in november.

fowl language
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
weatherby man,thx donny for the donation of the free beer for the volunteers,will this be for the entire convention or just for the volunteer night? to answer some of your questions about not knowing about the fund raiser and convention in surrey our committee is so small from lack of volunteers that we can only do so much..i had a member ask me today why in hell someone hasn,t called an archery donor for a donation i just about lost it on him and asked him what he was so busy with that he couldn,t ask.knowing full well his boss has been one of our best volunteers getting donations i guess it,s about attitude that somebody else should do this..if we don,t get it together items like halibut fishing, hunter allocation policy, access to crown land.keeping what we have and what we feel we should have a right to will fall by the way side if every one took the let someone else do it attitude.you will then have lots of time on the internet rather then doing what we all have a love of... i guess my rant is out of frustration with the people that bitch but wouldn,t help out...i would like to thank all the people who have offered to help out either by volunteer or financially from those to far away to help out . hopefully we can pull this off....dale

Geronimo
04-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I just came back from a meeting for the Semiahmoo fish and Game clubs fun night Thurs the 14th, in association with the conference-I was invited to a volunteers meeting( first I heard of it) Tues night 7:00 for the BCWF conference-- I was not told where, only that they would get back to me ASAP--I will be there for sure

oscar makonka
04-08-2011, 06:41 AM
When we do one of our banquets we get about 40 volunteers from a club of just over 300. 25 from THOUSANDS is pathetic!

Your lucky to get a turnout like that. Most clubs are run by volunteers. Nobody gets paid. Most members have a mentality that since they paid a mambership fee that they should not have to lift a finger. We've had members asking to be paid if they 'volunteer' for a work party. Many assume clubs have paid employees that should be doing it.

fowl language
04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
for those of you that are either thinking of volunteering or have volunteered to help out at this years agm and fund raiser the volunteer night is tues april 12 at the sheraton guildford in surrey at 7 pm. in the barnston room....hope to see you there ...fowl

Johnnybear
04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Does the BCWF email members? I don't recall ever getting an email from them. How much does an email cost?

I have been a member for many years now and I don't recall a single email from them.

I know I should be more involved with my local club etc. and I think I will attend this years AGM. I am not perfect but if the information is not out there how is one to know?

Fisher-Dude
04-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Does the BCWF email members? I don't recall ever getting an email from them. How much does an email cost?

I have been a member for many years now and I don't recall a single email from them.

I know I should be more involved with my local club etc. and I think I will attend this years AGM. I am not perfect but if the information is not out there how is one to know?

Have you given them your email? ;)

Contact them and get on the list.

I get emails every other day from the BCWF.

Johnnybear
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Have you given them your email? ;)

Contact them and get on the list.

I get emails every other day from the BCWF.

I am sure I have given them my email address when I signed up.

I agree with alot of folks that the BCWF needs to communitcate with it's membership better.

They need to send out email's without members having to sign up to "lists" they need to promote themselves to the membership wontonly and frequently if they want more participation:neutral:.

Gateholio
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
They need to send out email's without members having to sign up to "lists" they need to promote themselves to the membership wontonly and frequently if they want more participation

How do they know you want to receive email if you don't sign up for it? Lots of people don't want to receive emails from organizations. If everyone was automatically on their email list, they would get complaints that they shouldn't be "spamming"

The BCWF sends our club emails, alerts and a monthly activity package. If the club members are NOT getting that information, then the members are not attending meetings or the executive of their club are not getting the information out to their members....

"Lack of communication" goes both ways- The BCWF has a website with LOTS of info on it, it's also up to members to stay informed.

That being said, it seems that HBC has no lack of communication, so I'm going to propose to Marc that we have a BCWF update forum, where BCWF alerts and info is posted in a "viewing only" forum. So the emails FD gets every other day would be posted there.

fowl language
04-09-2011, 06:38 AM
thx clarke ,good iea i,ll get the powers to be in touch with marc if he gives the ok. as we travel from club to club we are finding out nore and more the exec. aren,t even opening their info packs sent monthly ,infact you,rs is the only club other then delta ladner that has even opened it..it a member wants more info they need to ask their exec.private members can get the same info of the bcwf website....fowl

Johnnybear
04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
How do they know you want to receive email if you don't sign up for it? Lots of people don't want to receive emails from organizations. If everyone was automatically on their email list, they would get complaints that they shouldn't be "spamming"

The BCWF sends our club emails, alerts and a monthly activity package. If the club members are NOT getting that information, then the members are not attending meetings or the executive of their club are not getting the information out to their members....

"Lack of communication" goes both ways- The BCWF has a website with LOTS of info on it, it's also up to members to stay informed.

That being said, it seems that HBC has no lack of communication, so I'm going to propose to Marc that we have a BCWF update forum, where BCWF alerts and info is posted in a "viewing only" forum. So the emails FD gets every other day would be posted there.

Your right about communication goes both ways Clark. I am going to contact them and get on the email list.

The BCWF update forum sounds like a great idea.

fearnodeer
04-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe there is to many people watching this site to be able to donate their time. Come on guys make a differance.

J_T
04-10-2011, 06:01 AM

I do agree with some of the comments here. I'm typically a guy that does get involved. I have been a long time member, but not through an affiliate organization. I'm a direct member (if that's what they still call it) I showed up the local regional AGM because the President mentioned it to me casually. I missed a meeting on urban deer with the fed because I was completely unaware that it's happening, yet I'm working with the MOE and municipality to review risks, process and options around a municipal deer hunt. At an EKWA meeting, I would likely have been a logical choice to attend. I sit on the regional advisory committee and share information with the regional BCWF reps regularly, I've made presentations to PHRAAC or whatever they want to call this now. I created the first outdoor youth camp outline back in the 90's (never implemented).

My point is, the Fed knows who I am. My conclusion can only be, they would rather keep me on the outside. I have reached out to the BCWF a few times, I've asked for information and I've confirmed that I am interested in email updates. I have yet to receive a single email from them. Which tends to lead one to believe, it's merely an internal group.

fowl language
04-10-2011, 07:58 AM
jt, every convention i have attended has a detailed agenda in print. you get them with your registery package.i have had one for at least a week know so i don,t understand why you missed the meeting or talk you were referring to unless,like you said you just showed up and missed it. it,s good to register early for these things as there is so much happening....fowl

J_T
04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
jt, every convention i have attended has a detailed agenda in print. you get them with your registery package.i have had one for at least a week know so i don,t understand why you missed the meeting or talk you were referring to unless,like you said you just showed up and missed it. it,s good to register early for these things as there is so much happening....fowl I wasn't referring to the upcoming provincial agm.

Fisher-Dude
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
My point is, the Fed knows who I am. My conclusion can only be, they would rather keep me on the outside. I have reached out to the BCWF a few times, I've asked for information and I've confirmed that I am interested in email updates. I have yet to receive a single email from them. Which tends to lead one to believe, it's merely an internal group.

As above, they can't send you an email if they don't have it and your permission to cc you. As a direct member, you're entitled to all provincial distributions. Regionally, if you're not a club member nor regional committee chair or director, you'll have to make your own connections.

You can sit here and whine about it, or you can contact Gary Cleave and tell him your wishes for being included. Psychic the Fed is not.

huntwriter
04-10-2011, 10:43 AM

I've to agree with that statement. Communication is certainly not the strong side of the BCWF. I lost count of how many times I contacted the federation for informaton on various topics and never received answers. Example in case. As a C.O.R.E. instructor (they do have my email address) I learned through the grapevine that the C.O.R.E. administrator was fired or handed his notice in. One would assume that such a decision would be fully disclosed to the people (C.O.R.E. instructors) that are directly affected by it.

Long story short. My patience with the BCWF has worn off and going by what I hear from other members and even some of the clubs that consider leaving or have left the federation I am not alone.

huntwriter
04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
As above, they can't send you an email if they don't have it and your permission to cc you. As a direct member, you're entitled to all provincial distributions. Regionally, if you're not a club member nor regional committee chair or director, you'll have to make your own connections.

You keep singing the same tune and blame members for the lack of receiving information. I am sure there are a very large number of members that gave the BCWF "permission" to send them information. In fact, by adding your email address on the application form or membership renewal form you give permission. There is no separate "permission" needed. The bottom line is this. It is not the members duty to inquire about organization activities, that is the organizations duty. It would be nice if were the other way around, it would make my job as communication director of our club a lot easier. ;)

J_T
04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

You can sit here and whine about it, or you can contact Gary Cleave and tell him your wishes for being included. Psychic the Fed is not.

I didn't want to derail the original thread, nor was it my intention to appear negative.

I completely respect the passion you have for the organization. I'm sure you can appreciate that I as a person who cares and wants to contribute have reached out many times.

"give them my email" no $hit. "my permission" an excuse not to. They have everything they require to connect with me. My permission and my contact info.

I'm not whining. That's completely against my nature. Sure would be nice to see you relax a bit and stop looking for a fight, and giving the Fed a bad image.

Whonnock Boy
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
March 17 I signed up via the website. My plan was to get the membership so I could attend the AGM. I have yet to receive any response from the BCWF via snail mail or email to confirm my membership. I actually did not know what to expect. Maybe a membership card, or at least an email confirming my membership with the option to receive updates. :confused:

Elkhound
04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Our rod and gun club asked us mos ago to have our daughter volunteer as she just finished her core and stuff at the club during the summer.....but they thought she was much older...she just turned 13.....they got back to us and declinded her as she needed to be 14 or older. Wife and I cant volunteer as time conflicts with work.......however. We will be at the dinner with a few HBC members on friday night

Gateholio
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
As president of our local club, I sometimes hear "How come I can't do this at the range anymore?" or "Who decided that we should change this or that?" or "When did YOU decide this?" or "I want this changed!!" etc etc

My answer is always the same. Show up at a meeting and voice your concerns. Most don't.

The BCWF has a website http://www.bcwf.net/index.php

It's easy to bookmark it and view it from time to time to keep yourself informed. I realize that many woudl prefer to whine and bitch about how they aren't getting any communication, but if you are really interested in BCWF AGM/acitivis etc you can just look at the calendar of events or the newsletters on the website once a week.

BCWF club affiliates ALL receive monthly update packages. If you aren't' getting the info from your club, then ask your executive.

TPK
04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I've to agree with that statement. Communication is certainly not the strong side of the BCWF. I lost count of how many times I contacted the federation for informaton on various topics and never received answers. Example in case. As a C.O.R.E. instructor (they do have my email address) I learned through the grapevine that the C.O.R.E. administrator was fired or handed his notice in. One would assume that such a decision would be fully disclosed to the people (C.O.R.E. instructors) that are directly affected by it.

Long story short. My patience with the BCWF has worn off and going by what I hear from other members and even some of the clubs that consider leaving or have left the federation I am not alone.

All the C.O.R.E. instructors I know got a letter in regards to Wes. If you didn't, then something is wrong at their end and you need to contact them and get it straightened out ... or not, your call.

Gunner
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
As president of our local club, I sometimes hear "How come I can't do this at the range anymore?" or "Who decided that we should change this or that?" or "When did YOU decide this?" or "I want this changed!!" etc etc

My answer is always the same. Show up at a meeting and voice your concerns. Most don't.

The BCWF has a website http://www.bcwf.net/index.php

It's easy to bookmark it and view it from time to time to keep yourself informed. I realize that many woudl prefer to whine and bitch about how they aren't getting any communication, but if you are really interested in BCWF AGM/acitivis etc you can just look at the calendar of events or the newsletters on the website once a week.

BCWF club affiliates ALL receive monthly update packages. If you aren't' getting the info from your club, then ask your executive.If people can take the time to log on to HBC and bitch,they could take the same amount of time to log on to the BCWF site and be informed.It seems most hunters have no wish to take any personal responsibility for what is happening to Resident hunters in BC."Let someone else do it,I'm too busy".Aside from the office staff,all the BCWF positions and commitees
are staffed by volunteers,people who like to hunt and fish,have families and jobs just like you.They are willing to give their time to help you.What are YOU willing to do?In most cases it seems,nothing. Gunner

Gateholio
04-10-2011, 02:42 PM
If people can take the time to log on to HBC and bitch,they could take the same amount of time to log on to the BCWF site and be informed.It seems most hunters have no wish to take any personal responsibility for what is happening to Resident hunters in BC."Let someone else do it,I'm too busy".Aside from the office staff,all the BCWF positions and commitees
are staffed by volunteers,people who like to hunt and fish,have families and jobs just like you.They are willing to give their time to help you.What are YOU willing to do?In most cases it seems,nothing. Gunner

That's the ironic thing....They own a computer, have time to post on HBC, but no time to update themselves via BCWF website. :)

Malley Whacker
04-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Great Thread Clark
If you can lend a hand we could use your help call Jim his number is on the thread. If you can't lend a hand see you at the fundraiser Friday night, bring money lots of great prizes to be won. If you have any questions pick up the phone and call 604 841 5369 Region 2 Vice President.

fowl language
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
hunt writer ,do i understand you correctly that as comminiction officer for what i presume is a bcwf affiliate club you are not recieving your monthly info package. if this the case could you email or tell me which club you are in and i,d like to check it out.this is the first i,ve heard that an affiliated club isn,t recieving it,s info pack. i know in our club they were sending the info more then once a month. as for the private members ,i,ll ask at the office what the policy is and post it on here..,n. any one needing tickets for the fund raiser you can also call me at 604 340 8496 or dennis at the thread above....dale

Fisher-Dude
04-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Our rod and gun club asked us mos ago to have our daughter volunteer as she just finished her core and stuff at the club during the summer.....but they thought she was much older...she just turned 13.....they got back to us and declinded her as she needed to be 14 or older. Wife and I cant volunteer as time conflicts with work.......however. We will be at the dinner with a few HBC members on friday night

You bringin' THE SWEDE with ya? :-o

Gotta agree 100% with Gate and Gunner - people know how to log onto HBC to bitch about what they haven't read on the BCWF website, just a click away. Bizarre.

huntwriter
04-10-2011, 10:18 PM
All the C.O.R.E. instructors I know got a letter in regards to Wes. If you didn't, then something is wrong at their end and you need to contact them and get it straightened out ... or not, our call.

I've contacted the BCWF many times to "straighten" this out. Now I am sick and tired of it. Wes was a real good guy and up to speed. The federation will have a hard time replacing Wes with someone as good.

hunt writer ,do i understand you correctly that as comminiction officer for what i presume is a bcwf affiliate club you are not recieving your monthly info package. if this the case could you email or tell me which club you are in and i,d like to check it out.this is the first i,ve heard that an affiliated club isn,t recieving it,s info pack. i know in our club they were sending the info more then once a month. as for the private members ,i,ll ask at the office what the policy is and post it on here..,n. any one needing tickets for the fund raiser you can also call me at 604 340 8496 or dennis at the thread above....dale

I've no problem getting the BCWF information sent out to clubs. My problem is getting information I request for my general information that would be useful in an article or otherwise. What the BCWF really needs is a communication departement or public relation department that actually knows what they are doing. Phil Halinan was brilliant but unfortunately he quit ill and has other things to worry about.

Gun Dog
04-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I looked at the BCWF site -- there's no mention of volunteering for anything at all. Not much on why I would want to join either. Oh wait... there's "Our volunteers and donors give generously of their time and finances"... Sounds like fun.

Johnnybear
04-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I looked at the BCWF site -- there's no mention of volunteering for anything at all. Not much on why I would want to join either. Oh wait... there's "Our volunteers and donors give generously of their time and finances"... Sounds like fun.

Yup, and comment's like "What the hell is wrong with members", "look at the site dummy", and " Bizarre" really promotes new members doesn't it:-D.

Communication and promotion are my concerns with the organization. I can't talk in the volunteer department and will state that I wish I could do more and will try to do more in the future. I am at least a member and I have influenced folks to join our local fish and game club etc. in the past.

I am frustrated reading some of the threads and post's on this site in regards to the BCWF. It is shocking to realize how many folks are not members of the BCWF. POSITIVE influence is needed for new members to join up and support this organization.

Fowl language has been a great poster IMHO. It seems some should take notes.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I do hope enough volunteers have been found and the event is a major success.

Nathaniel Poe
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Considering that there are only 25 volunteers out of thousands in the area, the strong language seems appropriate. I'd volunteer but I don't live anywhere near Vancouver. Like any volunteer group, I don't know why someone thinks they need a handwritten invitation with gold inlay to offer their time. Most groups are happy to get a offer to volunteer and you usually just call them. :)

Johnnybear
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Considering that there are only 25 volunteers out of thousands in the area, the strong language seems appropriate.

I agree in that it seems to have sparked some attention for this event for sure but might have some negative impacts for future membership.

Gateholio
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I hope that people realize I am not a BCWF spokesperson and I wasn't asked to start this thread by the BCWF, I was just astonished.....

Mik
04-11-2011, 03:52 AM
See you all at the show.

fowl language
04-11-2011, 07:08 AM
not to hi jack your thread clarke,i just want to add to it..in michigan their outdoor hunting and fishing clubs. have more then 250,000 members and pretty much run the state as they have a majority vote. could you imagine if 96,000 hunter,s were all a member of bcwf and 130,000 fisher,s were to band together.politicians would be tripping over them selves to get our approval.i realize that there is some cross over between hunting and fishing,just the same we,d definately have a very strong voice as the greenies have money but not the numbers. for as bad as some make the bcwf it,s our biggest voice and we need to get behind it. give it some thought.....dale

bushpig slayer
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
hey there i'm also a member and did not here one peep about this,i think the biggest problem is the pr for this club.get out from behind those computers and promote the club come to hunting clubs and have a personal approach and sign more people up.many don't even know what their agenda is.just my 2 cents a Q AND A might help.

bushpig slayer
04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
also their mailing system is horrible i receive my magazine at the end of December when i should of got it in November there is a good reason why so many people lose out on the info of what is going on,it all goes back to organization of the higher ups in bcwf,nobody is checking their out flow of info to see if it is even reaching the right people at the right time.due-diligence = efficient acknowledgment.one more thing why does every thing stop on the mainland come to the island and show themselves, again if they did come at some point i never new about it.small things like this can go along way.

Deaddog
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I think it is extremely important to point out the the guys/girls of the fed are volunteers, thousands of hours are donated by these people, doing their best to work for their membership. No one is perfect and you will not agree with all decisions, things can always be better.. that said my hat goes off to people who are willing to put their time where their mouth is and freely give their personal time and frequently resources that could of gone to their families to their members...As the saying goes "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

Fisher-Dude
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
also their mailing system is horrible i receive my magazine at the end of December when i should of got it in November there is a good reason why so many people lose out on the info of what is going on,it all goes back to organization of the higher ups in bcwf,nobody is checking their out flow of info to see if it is even reaching the right people at the right time.due-diligence = efficient acknowledgment.one more thing why does every thing stop on the mainland come to the island and show themselves, again if they did come at some point i never new about it.small things like this can go along way.

The Outdoor Edge magazine is not a publication of the BCWF. It is a publication from a company called Keywest Marketing out of Edmonton that uses input from BC, AB, SK, MB, and YT 's fish and game associations for content, plus articles from independent writers, plus advertising sales from four different provincial representatives.

You're pretty quick to bash the BCWF when a quick look inside the front cover would show it's not up to the "higher ups in the BCWF" to get your magazine out to you when you feel it should be there.

Gunner
04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
There is a lot of navel-gazing going on and it seems that some people aren't looking at the big picture.I'd like to know how many of the naysayers are actively working through their clubs or indepently to help all BC hunters,as the people who ARE doing all they can don't seem to get a lot of respect from some people on this forum.For those that are not happy with the job the Fed is trying to do,instead of sitting back get involved.Theres always room for volunteers with new ideas. Gunner

04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I think it is extremely important to point out the the guys/girls of the fed are volunteers, thousands of hours are donated by these people, doing their best to work for their membership. No one is perfect and you will not agree with all decisions, things can always be better.. that said my hat goes off to people who are willing to put their time where their mouth is and freely give their personal time and frequently resources that could of gone to their families to their members...As the saying goes "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

Well stated Deaddog, and thanks.