PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the Usa

triggr31
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I want to hunt in New Mexico , Colorado etc Does anyone know if we can just go down there and hunt or put in for draws to hunt . Have any of you done this . Ive heard alot of stories but i really have a interest in this .let me know guys thanks .

Gunner
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
You will have to apply for draws,in most states it is not neccesary to hire a guide you can do a DIY hunt.Check with the individual state Fish & Wildlife branch as to requirements for non-residents.If you are successful in the draw you will have to get a form from the BATF and submit it to allow you to take your guns south.Allow 10 weeks for that.Once you've done your research and submitted your draws(and got your rifle import form) it's a piece of cake.Oh be sure to take your PAL AND registration to get your guns back into Canada. Gunner

bighornbob
04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I want to hunt in New Mexico , Colorado etc Does anyone know if we can just go down there and hunt or put in for draws to hunt . Have any of you done this . Ive heard alot of stories but i really have a interest in this .let me know guys thanks .

You will most likely need to get drawn as most states only let 10% of the total tags go to non-residents. As these are popular states I would think you may be applying for a few years before you get drawn. Also you may only get drawn for one species. Its not like going to Northern Bc where you can hunt 1/2 dozen big game species.

I know in some states you can only hunt mountain lion without having to draw a LEH tag. I also asked some Arizona guys about hunting down there as they were pretty pumped at getting draw tags and one guy said he had not hunted deer in 6 years, elk in 10 years and pronghorn in 12 years and he was a resident.

BHB

bugler
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I've bowhunted antelope in Montana, piece of cake to get the tag, but I think a rifle tag would be more difficult. I believe you can apply for any tag available to non residents.

That was a good trip, did not get one but saw lots. We're thinking of trying again.

Noname
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
You can pm me and I can answer your questions about the western states as well as point you in the right directions for units to look at.

David Heitsman
04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
You can call Eric at Cabela's tag services or Garth Carter's tag services if you want advice. Otherwise get a subscription to Garth Carter's Hunting fool magazine which has loads of info that you can the glean from and then go online to the various states that you are interested in. I use Eric for the last few years as I don't want to take all day figuring it out and Cabela's floats the tag fees for a handling charge. You'll have to buy a hunting license in most states in order to get the preference points that you'll need to draw in a primo area. PM me for more details if you want.

Interesting fact that most Canadians don't know is that it in fact illegal to purchase ammo in the US. The US border guard told me that they nail CDN's all the time coming back to Canada with Ammo that they purchased in the US. I don't think it's widely enforced and I've bought ammo at Cabela's for my US hunts before but now I'll get someone to do it for me I guess.

yama49
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
You can call Eric at Cabela's tag services or Garth Carter's tag services if you want advice. Otherwise get a subscription to Garth Carter's Hunting fool magazine which has loads of info that you can the glean from and then go online to the various states that you are interested in. I use Eric for the last few years as I don't want to take all day figuring it out and Cabela's floats the tag fees for a handling charge. You'll have to buy a hunting license in most states in order to get the preference points that you'll need to draw in a primo area. PM me for more details if you want.

Interesting fact that most Canadians don't know is that it in fact illegal to purchase ammo in the US. The US border guard told me that they nail CDN's all the time coming back to Canada with Ammo that they purchased in the US. I don't think it's widely enforced and I've bought ammo at Cabela's for my US hunts before but now I'll get someone to do it for me I guess.

I think you can take your own ammo with, so why buy it?

sheephunterab
04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
I've been lucky enough to draw Arizona elk and mule deer. Utah mule deer, Colorado elk and mule deer and New Mexico elk in the past 13 years. I put in about 17 applications a year. I apply in a lot of very low draw percentage areas but the trophy potential is huge. You can hunt unguided for the most part but most of the better hunts require you to draw a tag. Some states require you to front the money for the tag when you apply so you can be out several thousand dollars for quite a few months. Other states also require you to buy a licence first or to buy bonus points so it can add up.

Still waiting for that desert sheep permit!

David Heitsman
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I think you can take your own ammo with, so why buy it?

Ammo used to cost much less in the US. It still is less when I was down in January. Also the grain and caliber selection is so much greater at a Sportsmen's Warehouse or Cabelas or Bass Pro. 40 cartridges also adds to your airline luggage weight.

Duck Tales
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
A gator tag in Louisiana is $150 for a non-rseident. Check the state fish & wildlife web site and and search LOUISIANA ALLIGATOR ADVISORY COUNCIL it has all the info as far as the regulations go and even have a list of 12 or more contacts for guides. We've all seen 'em on "Swamp People" and I think it looks extremly fun. Not sure the procedures for bringing a hide or any meat back across the 49th ?