PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Binos

hillman
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm in the market for binos, and I'm interested in the Vortex line.

Is there a dealer on VI? I'd like to look before buying. I'm in Duncan, and I don't want to spend $$$ on binos without being able to try them.

PMs are welcome. Thanks for any information.

BiG Boar
04-05-2011, 02:45 PM
One word. Madeinchina

Bow Walker
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure about Duncan, but if there are any 'birding stores' there, try them. One place I know that carries Vortex is Birds Unlimited.

I don't know if Bucky's carries them or not. I have seen them in WSS in Nanaimo, and I know there are birding stores in Nanaimo.

There are a few places that carry them here in Vict.

bearhunter338-06
04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Wholesale Sports sell the Vortex line of optics. They are very good optics despite being made in china. Good think these electronic produces we use everyday aren't made in china right Big Boar.

tonywtc
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
i have a set of vortex binos im happy with them so far...

Shooter
04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I bought a couple pairs of them at the Backyard Bird Store (something like that) in Nanaimo. They don't always have a ton of stock but they usually are priced very well there. I got my Vipers for $539 I think, but that was a couple years ago.

dagreatwhitehunter
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
go to wss give them your drivers licence ,take a couple different pairs outside and compare.try and do it on a cloudy or rainy day so you can see how well they collect light. The cloudy rainy part should be pretty easy to come by on the island.

Casagrande
04-06-2011, 02:04 AM
One word. Madeinchina
The Razor's are made in Japan. If you shop around, they are fantastic glass for the money.

Bow Walker
04-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Even being 'made in china' the quality is right up there - high enough so that they can give their unconditional warranty. These 'china' nay-sayers are just knee-jerk reactions and head-in-the-sand attitudes about today's worldwide production sites.

Jhors
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
My Viper's are very clearly marked, "Made in Japan". Although I am not sure it matters as all the lenses and bodies are machine made and they can set the machine to the same tolerances in any country. I found mine at Bird's Unlimited in Victoria.

guywitha270
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
My Diamondbacks are beautiful. And once again, you can't beat their warranty should you need it.

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Just so you know, Cabelas contracted Meopta, a European manufacturer with an excellent rep, to make
them a high end bino that they call Cabelas Euro. They're just a hair less excellent than the Swaros and
Leicas, but the difference is something you can only tell by trying one right after the other. The difference
you CAN tell easily is the price, they're on sale now for $700, and the other guys are more than three times
that! Check them out, there's lots of reviews, and you can always return them if you're not amazed...
My cousin has one of those binos, and looking through them is like looking through those overpriced Swaros.

"skma"
04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
wss n nanaimo

Weatherby Fan
04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Just so you know, Cabelas contracted Meopta, a European manufacturer with an excellent rep, to make
them a high end bino that they call Cabelas Euro. They're just a hair less excellent than the Swaros and
Leicas, but the difference is something you can only tell by trying one right after the other. The difference
you CAN tell easily is the price, they're on sale now for $700, and the other guys are more than three times
that! Check them out, there's lots of reviews, and you can always return them if you're not amazed...
My cousin has one of those binos, and looking through them is like looking through those overpriced Swaros.

I would have to agree with you on the Cabelas Euro Binocular(made by Meopta) , I have looked through them several times and compared them to my Leica 10x42 Trinovids and not alot of difference except price of course,probably one of the better binoculars around for that price.
Can't comment on the Vortex as I haven't looked through them but will check them out in the next cpl of weeks when Im at Cabelas.

hillman
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Many thanks to HBC member Ken for PMing me and letting me check out his 10x14 vipers.

I'm glad I'm not pressed to decide what's best for me. There's nothing worse than buying sight-unseen and ending up disappointed.

I don't want to make special trips to shop, but I'll get to Vic and Nanaimo now that I know where to go.

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Hillman, I'd check out cabelas.com, read the reviews, buy the Euros on sale, and then take them into Victoria
and compare them to Swarovskis and Leicas, which everyone knows are the very best if you have too much cash.
If you're not ecstatic at having bought a bino for less than a third of the price, that's within a hair of being every
bit as good as the Swaros and Leicas, you can return them. I'll Greyhound you a bottle of your favourite poison
for giving you a bad suggestion...lol, how's that?

BromBones
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Just bought a pair of 10x42 Vipers.

Have been able to use a few pairs of the high end binocs and they are sweet, but can't justify dumping a paycheck on what I consider a slight advantage in very low light conditions. Maybe if you've got shitty eyes they help, I don't know.

Was able to check out the Cabelas Euros and they are very nice, but the Vortex felt more comfortable for me which is huge when staring through them for hours at a time.

dawn2dusk
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
YUp good decision I got the Vipers a couple years ago. You won't be dissappointed.

The Hermit
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
KOWA are every bit as good as SWARO and Leica and a lot less expensive!

Bow Walker
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Vortex brand optics go from entry-level pricing (Vanquish line) up to the higher end type of pricing (Razors and Kaibabs). Everything has the same 'no-questions-asked' warranty, that is transferable with the product. You just can't find a better "bang-for-your-buck" than that.

Plus the clarity is unbelievably crisp, bright and clear.

Phoneguy
04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I really like my Diamondbacks!

Bow Walker
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I've had a pair of Vultures for over 5 years now - never a problem with them. As many people know - I can't say enough about them...

Kevin So
04-15-2011, 12:30 AM
My diamondback 10x42 has been great so far (3years). My friend's Bushnell lasted not one hunting season and all fogged up and stuff, warranty was difficult to claim. I have not had to use my Vortex warranty yet but I was told basically no question asked, fully transferable, basically give you a new pair on the spot kind of deal.

Don't get me wrong, Zeiss, swarski, lecia and many others are the awesome, but I am not a guide, nor can I afford top notch optics. The vortex optics fits the bill for me.

open-sights
04-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Pardon? On what planet?