PDA

View Full Version : Moose near Ft. St-John

troutseeker
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, the wife is bugging me to get out of her life for a week and to go see my buddy in Ft. St-john... I'm thinking of going up there mid-August for the moose opening in areas 7-32 to 7-35. I see it's any bull, but I've never been there... Anyone knows if there are bulls to be shot there or is it hopeless?

Thanks, Troutseeker

PGKris
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
You're better off to try the areas between Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd. Not many moose right in the FSJ area. North towards pink mountain is where the better numbers are. I recommend the Tumbler area.
Kris

Jelvis
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Fair moose hunting east of Hudson Hope with access roads, in MU 7-32. 33 private land and lots of, 34 late season area, 35 Dunlevy Creek moose hunting coutry so its either 35 your no1 destination or at second place 32 well i hope I made up your mind for ya tell me how you do. Jel, my second oldest bro used to live up there he said. 35 good :smile:

4pointer
07-27-2006, 04:44 AM
The del rio....most moose I've seen. Been up there for the last 13 yrs. Haven't missed one yet. Anywhere around Chetwynd to Hudsons Hope is good. Watch the weather though, too hot and they ain't moving much. Its harder to find them in years of hot weather. For the real hunt, you should go up to Pink Mountain.

ARC
07-27-2006, 06:06 AM
There are moose all around here, but if you are coming in the early season be prepared to run into hundreds of hunters running around all over the place. Alot of the locals hit the areas just outside of Fort St John, and it seems that "Pink Mountain" is kind of the buzz word, or place to go for people from down south.

I went for a few evening hunts last year in the early season, and it gets to the point where you want to go check out a little spur road thats 2 km long, and you will pass 2 trucks coming out as you are going in. Even when walking I ran into quads a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, there is alot of area and animals up here, but just be prepared to run into alot of people as well.

By comparisaon, I went out during the October rut season and only saw 1 other hunter in 3 trips. During that time of the year the antler restriction is on, but it doesn't take alot of effort to find a legal bull. I would recommend waiting until October, but then again I am the type of person that hates running into people all the time. If you do some scouting it is possible to find some good areas a little ways off the road or down some seismic lines that nobody else usually goes.

troutseeker
07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the info! I am definitely going up in august, it will be nice to see my buddy and I can't do it later this year. I'll do my thing solo as usual and if I get one great, if not I'm sure I'll still find a stream to cast a fly in!

Troutseeker

Husky7mm
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Lots and lots of people...... Telling lots and lots of people to go hunt there. The place will wear out eventually! Glad I dont go there any more. To bad for the moose! My F'ing 2 cents!

cwocarsten
07-31-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't know why people flock to Pink Mountain for moose. Have not seen that many moose bagged up there as in the past. The area needs a break.

talver
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
my 2 cents is they should shut down the any bull open season in August. I dont think counting pionts is that hard if you know what you are doing.

ARC
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
my 2 cents is they should shut down the any bull open season in August.

Actually, I think for the most part the moose population can handle the any bull season for a couple weeks. With all the guys around during that time, I sometimes wonder how any bull could survive, haha. But after the season has closed and I'm out chasing larger bulls or elk, I always see a large number of small-medium bulls.

I think since the any bull sesaon is in August its alright, because with the heat that time of year the animals don't seem to be moving around much. If the any bull season was later say in October it could turn into a massacre.

LeverActionJunkie
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM
It might even be worth implementing a set-up like in Alberta, where the Moose rifle season is limited entry only, but there are more reasonable number of permits, that way overharvest is curbed, but dedicated hunters can still get out there. I for one would rather see too many big game critters around than not enough.

Jelvis
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Restrict motorized vehicle those guys will be gone they can't get there butts off the heated seats and thier hands out of the heated handle gloves. They will find another area to use their toys real quick.

talver
08-02-2006, 01:46 AM
[quote=ARC]Actually, I think for the most part the moose population can handle the any bull season for a couple weeks. With all the guys around during that time, I sometimes wonder how any bull could survive, haha. But after the season has closed and I'm out chasing larger bulls or elk, I always see a large number of small-medium bulls.

I think since the any bull sesaon is in August its alright, because with the heat that time of year the animals don't seem to be moving around much. If the any bull season was later say in October it could turn into a massacre.[
I aggree with you on this but I usually dont see too many of the smaller and medium bulls but im usually up there for 2 to 3 weeks a year and dont have enough time I also hunt thepre rut and rut. I see alot of 7x6s 8x9s 9x9s. 2 brow tiners most of them in 50 to mid 60 in spreads. But the only problem I have is usually the next year i go up Im hoping that the 8x9s and bigger have grown another point but I never see them. Im thinking they get taken during the August early season.

ARC
08-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Just a note. A while back I was searching various government and other sites for wildlife population estimates for the province. Last year it stated (in outdoor canada magazine) that the estimated moose population in the province was 175 000 animals, whereas the estimate for whitetails was between 55 000- 85 000, and mule deer came in at 125 000.

The government site also has harvest information (2002 being the most recent year). Based on those population numbers, and the harvest stats on the bc government site, they break down as follows:

Mule/Blacktail Deer. 125, 000 animals, 16824 harvested in 2002. 13% of population.

Moose. 175 000 animals, 10803 harvested in 2002, 6% of population.

Whitetail Deer. 55 000 - 85 000 animals, 6607 harvested in 2002, 7.8-12% of population.

Again I don't know how accurate these sources are, but based on these numbers moose actually get hit the least of the 3. Oh, and the harvest numbers take into account all animals harvested, cows, does, bulls and bucks. Also, the population numbers and harvest stats are from 2 different sources. I know the harvest stats take into account both mule deer and blacktails, but I'm not sure about the population estimates....it may be both or just mule deer.

I found it kind of interesting, and of the moose 6557 were taken from Region 7, so it does have the most pressure by far (next closest is region 6 with 1991 moose harvested).

This isn't very useful, haha....but just something to think about.