PDA

View Full Version : fixed vs mechanical

dru88
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
do you use a fixed or mechanical broadhead?

Rusty Shackles
04-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Thunder heads
thunder heads
thunder heads

Rusty Shackles
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
never wounded a deer or bear. always one shot kills. max tracking under 100 yards some under 10 feet. Thunder heads have always flown just like my field points. No im wrong shot a lung shot bear 2 stop the cryin once. (missed the hart)
Thunder heads
thunder heads
thunder heads

Bow Walker
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Use what fluffs your kilt. For me it's the category of 'fixed'. Just one less thing to go wrong out there.

Rusty Shackles
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
totally agree BowWalker. If you put the hole in a decent spot most of them will do the same thing.IMO
Use what fluffs your kilt. For me it's the category of 'fixed'. Just one less thing to go wrong out there.

seanfalloy
04-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Less moving parts the better. And if you want to do some reading check out Ed ashby's research into broadheads and design

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/

Ambush
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
hmmm, has this ever been covered before???

The usual suspects with the usual answers.

killman
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
hmmm, has this ever been covered before???

The usual suspects with the usual answers.

Ha ha! I didn't vote. I have both. But have killed nothing. Once I kill something, what ever I used will be the best. But that's just my opinion. Which are kind of like a$$holes, everyone has one. :)

BiG Boar
04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I have only tried fixed. But I think both will work fine. I think it will be an interesting poll though. It would be interesting at a 3D shoot for everyone to bring a blade and see how they perform when tested equally. I'd go up against anything with my broadheads.

GRIZZEZE
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I personally shoot muzzy's (fixed balde), I have always had a problem trying to assemble and thread on broadheads like the thunderheads. Everyone has a preferance, but put any razer sharp balde through the heart or lungs on any animal and it wont take long.

Rusty Shackles
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I personally shoot muzzy's (fixed balde), I have always had a problem trying to assemble and thread on broadheads like the thunderheads. Everyone has a preferance, but put any razer sharp balde through the heart or lungs on any animal and it wont take long.

Thunderheads are bit&@ to put on. But once they are on they seem to fly nice. And blade replacement is EZ. Plus you can get them every ware. Still waiting for the 6 blade moldel though...

huntwriter
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I've used both fixed (Thunderheads, Magnus II, Muzzy) and mechanical (NAP Spitfire) broadheads with great success. There is not much difference in the lethality of the two systems as long as they are a quality product. Having said that, my personal preference are fixed broadheads (Thunderheads 125 grain and Magnus II 125 grain with bleeder blades).

huntwriter
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Thunderheads are bit&@ to put on.

Why are Thuderheads a bitch to put on? It takes me less than a minute to assemble them and screw onto the arrow. Not picking on you just wondering what problems you're having with them.

358win
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I had some slight accuracy issues with 125 gr. thunderheads on breezy days and have just switched to Rage 2- blade mechanicals. I hope to let you know how they work on Bear REAL soon.

Bow Walker
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
I've heard that the Rage 3-blade are much better than the 2-blade - FWIW.

Although, they may have solved the issues with the 2-blades by now. It's been a year or two.

Rusty Shackles
04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Why are Thuderheads a bitch to put on? It takes me less than a minute to assemble them and screw onto the arrow. Not picking on you just wondering what problems you're having with them.
lets say your hands are frozen and you want to change one blade. they kinda fall apart sometimes.... Dont get me wrong I can deal with it, and I wont be shootin anything elts soon. there are more use friendly heads on the market. but I LOVE my THUNDER HEADS.

rattling_junkie
04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
lets say your hands are frozen and you want to change one blade. they kinda fall apart sometimes.... Dont get me wrong I can deal with it, and I wont be shootin anything elts soon. there are more use friendly heads on the market. but I LOVE my THUNDER HEADS.

Why are you replacing blades with cold hands? I have always done all my broadhead work inside at my desk.

The Hermit
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Fixed

Montec G5 Solid one piece
PX2's Replaceable blade with no tuning required!

jrjonesy
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
6 animals with fixed (5 of those Thunderheads)
8 animals with mechanical (6 of those G5 Tekan II)
Using G5 Montec (fixed) and Rage (mechanical) this year....might use the G5 T3 mechanical too...it worked well on a buck last year.
I see no reason to side with one or the other.

Bow Walker
04-09-2011, 10:12 AM
As stated before....whatever you are using when you make your first kill (or two) will be your favorite head from then on. Very few hutners change from "what works" for them.

Try a few, experiment, and go kill something!

Rusty Shackles
04-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Why are you replacing blades with cold hands? I have always done all my broadhead work inside at my desk.

I dont, its an example I guess. I usually change them with blood on my hands.LOL

Riverbc
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
I am a complete newbie to all this...just picked up a bow in early February.....and will be heading to the Island later this year, and see if I can get a deer. I have researched fixed versus mechanical, in forums such as this and found that with fixed, there are fewer things to go wrong, and mechanical should fly more like a field point, than a fixed. Penetration and blood trail also were discussed. So gathering up this info..I thought I'd first purchase some Slick Tricks. They say they are the original short profile fixed broad head and all others followed. They also claim they will fly the same as a field tip. Off I go to the archery shop in Abbotsford, where the owner is a hardcore bow hunter. I asked him what he prefers, and he replied Slick Tricks! I thought, hmmm...maybe I'm on to something. Now, he also added, that they may not necessarily fly like field points on all bows. I grabbed a pack of 100 g Slick Trick Magnums, and off I went home. First off...they were very easy and quick to assemble....definitely a plus.....then out to the back yard..and shot them at 20 and 30 yards in the fading light. Seemed pretty good.....so off I go this afternoon to the Abbotford Fish and game, and set up my target at 40 yards. I then shot 3 field tips, and then 2 Slick Tricks. See the picture. http://www3.telus.net/river_rat/slick.jpg
The top and bottoms arrows are the slick tricks....the bottom one took off half of the nock of the arrow beside it, slicing the vane, and the shaft. http://www3.telus.net/river_rat/slick11.jpg
I am sure you have better groupings, but for a newbie, who had some serious muscle fatigue. (heavy chest and back work out in morning) I will take it this time. Bottom line is..I am happy with the Slick Trick's flight...so, I've found a fixed broadhead that does seem to shoot like my field points. Hopefully this fall..I can tell you how they performed after hitting an animal...but from what I've read here and other forums..it will do the job.

Bow Walker
04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
At 40 yards - and for a self-confessed "newbie" - that ain't bad at all. Congrats.

Best thing to do (I have found) is to spin or roll your arrows to check that there isn't any wobble on the front end or on the back end. If the Shaft spins "true" - that's when you get the same p.o.i. with field and broadhead tips.

Here's a really good spinner (and cheap too)...It's by a company called Pine Ridge.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner1.jpg

Riverbc
04-21-2011, 06:17 PM
thanks for that, Bow Walker. :) Yes, Wayne, at the archery shop here, mentioned that about the wobble...my next purchase from him will be a spinner....lots of small purchases...so the wife doesn't notice! ;)

bubba350
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
rage!!!!!!

04-22-2011, 07:14 AM
At 40 yards - and for a self-confessed "newbie" - that ain't bad at all. Congrats.

Best thing to do (I have found) is to spin or roll your arrows to check that there isn't any wobble on the front end or on the back end. If the Shaft spins "true" - that's when you get the same p.o.i. with field and broadhead tips.

Here's a really good spinner (and cheap too)...It's by a company called Pine Ridge.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner1.jpg

I agree 100%. I have the same arrow spinner and use it whenever I put a broadhead on an arrow (I use Slick Tricks for everything except turkeys).

Mugger
04-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I have been using slick tricks for years, have taken many Moose with them and would recommend them. The mechanical blades have come a long way and some guys love them.If for some reason one of the blades opened or more reasonable if you hit a branch on your way to your target one blade might open and cause the arrow to turn at impact causing a non vital hit. Its only a theory. The bows of today are so much faster. And hay what do I know.

Bow Walker
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I've only got three different broadheads in my arsenal. Slick Tricks, Muzzy's, and Magnus Stingers.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Magnum_100gr.jpg http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Muzzy_MX-3_100gr.jpg http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/100-stinger2blade.jpg

The ones that go out with me are the Slick Tricks. I've made all my kills with them and just can't seem to leave them at home.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
My heads of Choice
Rocket Ultimate Steel
http://www.bowhunter.com/newproducts/BN_Oct03_WHN02.jpg
Rocket Steelhead XP
http://www.bogensport-neumann.de/shop/images/-2530.jpg