PDA

View Full Version : Canon Image Stabilization Binoculars....opinions??

Singleshotneeded
04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, I've pretty much decided on picking up a pair of the Canon binos with image stabilization, I've heard they're super sharp and you can see a lot more at distance without the shake.
The choice is between the waterproof 10X42, with a 4.2 exit pupil which is fine for low light, and a 65 degree field of view....
or the water resistant 15X50, which has an exit pupil of 3.3 which might be a bit low for low light situations??? and a tighter f.o.v. of only 45 degrees.
A FIFTEEN X magnification would be very handy in situations where you're wondering if that's more twigs or the antlers of a buck at a great distance, but they're not waterproof and the exit pupil seems a bit weak for dawn/dusk.
The TEN X is the power I use now, and it's enough power for most situations, and without shake it should be a great improvement. The exit pupil is good for dawn/dusk and the f.o.v. is greater. As well, it's waterproof which is a bonus when you're paying out a lot of money like this.
WHat do you guys think, the 10X42 waterproof?

cainer
04-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Best hunting days are when it's wet out-and best hunting time is usually at first light or just before dark. AND if you're walking through wet bush or trees, you're going to need binos that will work when wet-otherwise they're useless. You'll be kicking yourself if you get one's that aren't waterproof and at least good in low light.

Weatherby Fan
04-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I was just curious as to how much the Canon 10x42s are ?

Whonnock Boy
04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I was just curious as to how much the Canon 10x42s are ?

Just looked it up. $1500!!!! If it was me, I would not spend that kind of money on binoculars that needs batteries and have more working parts than necessary. I read some reviews and from what I gather the geriatric bird watchers love them for their IS. They weigh 36 ounces. No wonder they need the IS being that heavy! Quite heavy to have draped around your neck all day. Buy some Zeiss, Swaro's, or Leica if you want to spend that kind of dough.

Weatherby Fan
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Just looked it up. $1500!!!! If it was me, I would not spend that kind of money on binoculars that needs batteries and have more working parts than necessary. I read some reviews and from what I gather the geriatric bird watchers love them for their IS. They weigh 36 ounces. No wonder they need the IS being that heavy! Quite heavy to have draped around your neck all day. Buy some Zeiss, Swaro's, or Leica if you want to spend that kind of dough.

My thoughts exactly !

Ride Red
04-03-2011, 04:34 PM

I have to agree. If your willing to spend that much, get the best your money will buy. My spotting scope is 20 - 60 power and I've used it off my pack, rocks or logs. No Image Stabilizer needed.

Ciskman
04-03-2011, 06:49 PM
We use them at work for spotting out of aircraft. Honestly I think you'd be better off investing that money into a great pair of normal binos. The money you are spending is going into the stabalization technology and not the quality of optics...IMO optics quality more important in a hunting scenario than the stab. Either way enjoy your purchase!

snareman1234
04-03-2011, 06:59 PM

10-4

And I would not recommend the 15's, but not sure what type of hunting you do.

I hunt backcountry, everything from wide open alpine to thick trees. I went for 8.5x42 swarovisions..unreal.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
As much as i like to photograph wildlife , i like to take pictures when there down in front of me in trophy pose even more !. and a pair of very good binos will make it happen a lot better that a camera bino . i think i would more worried about wasting time and buck fever to get the shot with the camera , and then risk not getting the rifle on it .. just my thoughts ..Other than that ,id love to try a pair out , but im not going to buy them to use . just not for me.

mark
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Ive also been very impressed with these binos!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?53996-Cannon-image-stabilizer-binos&highlight=

A buddy of mine has the 10x42 non waterproof models for about $700, he uses them for hunting and has no issues in the rain!

I paid about $700 for my binos a few years ago and Id way rather be using his for glassing!
Way less eye strain without the shakes!

No need for the waterproof ones IMO.

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, Amazon has them for $1100 or so, and they are a bit heavy...but I do have some good 8 power binos that I carry if I'm doing a lot of hiking. From what I hear the optics are good, not on the level of Swaro and Leica, but the IS reduces eye strain as Mark said...and without the slight shake of regular 10X binos you can spot things like antlers behind brush that you'd miss with normal binos. Mark, the new 10X42s, at least the ones I saw at Cabelas and Amazon(best price), were waterproof...and I'd prefer that anyway as they're not dirt cheap at just over $1100. The 10X is definitely the way to go over the 15X as the higher power ones don't have the low light ability of the 10X and aren't waterproof. Now I'll have to try a pair and compare them to standard good quality binos and see if the IS is worth it. Ciskman, you don't find the IS binos' elimination of shake a big bonus to seeing clearly?

Ciskman
04-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Ciskman, you don't find the IS binos' elimination of shake a big bonus to seeing clearly?

From a plane absolutely it helps, but they have never even crossed my mind for being suitable for hunting. Bulky and the glass isnt that great and honestly even with the stabalization on their still is some movement. Id invest in a great set of binos and a tripod instead, but thats just me. I know a tripod wont really help if your spot and stalking but in this scenario I think the stab binos would be a pain anyways.

Im not trying to talk you out of them, Im just giving you my experience and thoughts. Have you been able to get a pair in your hands yet?

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm thinking they'd be good for when you get to the top of a ridge, you're looking over the other side, and
you've got the shakes a bit from the effort...that sort of idea. So the glass isn't very good...is it similar to
a Nikon Monarch or something like that, a $250 bino, or a bit better? I'm in Kelowna so I'll be stopping in
Kerrisdale Cameras next time I'm down in Van... I do appreciate your ideas! So you're thinking a pair of
Zeiss Conquests instead?