PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt or familiar with 3-42 north of Adams Lake?

Singleshotneeded
04-03-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm looking at 3-42 for a muley doe LEH application. Anyone hunt that area before or familiar with it, just north of Adams Lake? I've got a couple of friends in Salmon Arm I can visit and then leave from there...

Darksith
04-03-2011, 08:11 AM
you'll find a doe there if you get your draw. Mulies and whities around there, but it being 4 point only for mulies all season helps keep the population strong. Lots of logging roads, lots of cuts, lots of draws. Good for bear as well.

MuleyMadness
04-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm looking at 3-42 for a muley doe LEH application. Anyone hunt that area before or familiar with it, just north of Adams Lake? I've got a couple of friends in Salmon Arm I can visit and then leave from there...

There are plenty of animals there...but think again if you plan on using Salmon Arm as a base. It is a LONG ways to go from Salmon Arm to the end of Seymour Arm. You might want to consider camping, as the drive is long and road is not the best. Plenty of bears and I have seen some moose up that way too. TONS of area to cover.

Fisher-Dude
04-03-2011, 08:46 AM
you'll find a doe there if you get your draw. Mulies and whities around there, but it being 4 point only for mulies all season helps keep the population strong. Lots of logging roads, lots of cuts, lots of draws. Good for bear as well.

How does harvest of bucks only "keep the population strong" when male only harvest does not affect population levels until buck:doe ratios fall below 5:100 (we manage for >20:100 )? Always wonder where these ideas come from.

Also, it's not 4 point all season - it's any buck Oct 1 - 31 in 3-42.

Darksith
04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
How does harvest of bucks only "keep the population strong" when male only harvest does not affect population levels until buck:doe ratios fall below 5:100 (we manage for >20:100 )? Always wonder where these ideas come from.

Also, it's not 4 point all season - it's any buck Oct 1 - 31 in 3-42.
I was always told that around adams lake was 4pt only, did they make a change to that last year? I was talking about 3-37. If you have an area that is 4pt only then you usually will have less pressure from hunters, which usually results in higher densities, even if it is only younger bucks. Thats what I was referring to, no so much the population strength, but more so the density of deer. Sorry for my mistype.

Singleshotneeded
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys, so access is good and there's plenty of deer up there! I was getting tired of banging my head against a wall trying to get a doe draw behind Peachland when the odds are 18-1. Not quite as convenient, but that's why the odds are friendlier...

dana
04-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Darksith,
The Adams (3-37 & 3-42) has been open for any bucks (Oct 1-31) and 4 point or better (Sept 10-30 & Nov 1-Dec 10th|) for years, just like all the other Region 3 units. Does have been under LEH in those units for years as well. So, nope, nothing different there either. The only new Region 3 regulation changes that affect those 2 units is the GOS whitetail doe season (Oct 10-31). If you are going to yap, you better at least know what the hell you are talking about. A quick look in the regs would have saved ya from your current foot in mouth situation.

As for the OP's question, 3-42 isn't an easy hunt for muleys. The bulk of the muleys in that unit migrate to the south slopes of 3-37 on both sides of the lake when the snow hits hard. So if choosing that unit for an Nov antlerless draw, you need to keep in mind why the odds are so low. The does will be the first to bail to that southern ground, so finding a doe 3-42 can be a challenge. If you hunt hard enough, you'll find a few, but they aren't thick in there in Nov. The unit does hold a bunch of whitetails too, but after the first day of doe season last year, they hit the thick stuff hard and didn't show themselves much for the majority of the season.

Darksith
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
:rolleyes:
Darksith,
The Adams (3-37 & 3-42) has been open for any bucks (Oct 1-31) and 4 point or better (Sept 10-30 & Nov 1-Dec 10th|) for years, just like all the other Region 3 units. Does have been under LEH in those units for years as well. So, nope, nothing different there either. The only new Region 3 regulation changes that affect those 2 units is the GOS whitetail doe season (Oct 10-31). If you are going to yap, you better at least know what the hell you are talking about. A quick look in the regs would have saved ya from your current foot in mouth situation.

LOL, you need to take a pill, sit down relax or at the very least quit projecting hostility. If you think that was yappin you better think again, I simply was trying to help. If you would like me to yap I can be a real dick and an ignorant *******, kinda like your comments! That being said I will refrain from that and take the high road. I was not insulting, disrespectful or anything else of that nature, simply misinformed from a good friend thats all. Thanks for puttin me straight though, I needed that since I was way out of line

Singleshotneeded
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks Dana, so you think that if I'm out there Nov 1st I'd still be out of luck if we've had a good bit of snow in late October? The bulk of the does will have headed south to Adams Lake?

dana
04-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Darksith,
Yappin is when you say stuff that you don't have a clue about. It is obvious you've never hunted 3-42 and didn't even bother to look at the regs before you spouted off about it. Normally when guys ask questions regarding certain units they are hoping to get responses from guys that actually know about the unit. Your advice regarding the unit isn't correct and that can lead someone to make a misinformed choice when it comes to putting in for a draw. I happen to know this unit very well and while what I said sounds negative, it really is just giving the OP a head's up that there is a reason why the odds on that unit is low. There are deer in the unit in Nov, but it takes some hard hunting to get er done. Not like what you said though. "you'll find a doe there if you get your draw. Mulies and whities around there, but it being 4 point only for mulies all season helps keep the population strong. Lots of logging roads, lots of cuts, lots of draws. Good for bear as well." As for the lots of roads, lots of cuts comment, I can tell ya that there isn't a ton of good open blocks to hunt, nor is there a ton of drivable roads. Trees and alder grow like weeds in that country and most blocks were logged during the 90's so they are well above Green Up. Some newer blocks just logged in the last year or 2, with a bunch more planned to go soon. Tum Tum main is an active mine road and we've been having issues with radio communication with the miners. Be alert as they drive fast and there isn't a lot of passing room.

dana
04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
The bulk of the does head to the lake in Oct. If it was me with a doe draw for that area, I'd focus just north of the lake on the south side of the unit. Gollen, Fisher, Harbour, Gannett and Marjorie is where the bulk of the newer logging has taken place. A good camping spot would be the silviculture site at 8km on the 40, just south of the unit boundary.

dana
04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
As a teaser, here are some ATL pics of a deadhead I found last week in the unit. With some hard hunting, there are some good muleys to be found in 3-42. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P3270176.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P3270175.jpg

dana
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
If you do get drawn for 3-42, keep an eye out for these buggers. I had several close calls with them but wasn't able to pull the pin on one. Jumped 6 of them with my hound. Good thing I still had him on lead or else they probably would have killed him.
I didn't take these pics, a local did. Wished they could have stayed still like that for me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/cid_abcbffcd-3634-463c-ad5a-f7dbd4807b37.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/cid_069fe017-96ae-4d1a-bd0c-7ed979c28f44.jpg

dana
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
This is what I found after I jumped the 6 wolves from their beds.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P1070113.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P1070118.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/P1070120.jpg

I found the deadhead muley only a few hundred metres from where this bull was killed.

Ride Red
04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Singleshotneeded,

Muley Doe draw, complimented with a nice wolf or 2 on the side. Sounds like a good trip.

Darksith
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I always wondered why some guys didn't like you dana, now I see where they are coming from. Yes Ive been up there, yes there are a fair amount of roads, and yes there are a decent amount of cuts to walk the edges of. The cuts get better in nov as most of the leaves have fallen from the brush, so you can see fairly well in the cuts. But I guess its all relative, anyone can say there are not many of this or that, it all depends on what your comparing it too. And good odds which will get you a draw at least gives you a chance, rather than not getting drawn at all and not having that chance.

Fisher-Dude
04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd like to direct the next person who says "Wolves only kill the old and weak" to Dana's pics. Two prime animals right there. :|

dana
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Fisherdude,
Don't jump to that conclusion too fast. There was a reason I had my hound with me. ;) Those wolves stole that elk from a big tom the night before.

Darksith,
You've hunted the unit before but you didn't know the regs concerning that unit??? Earlier you stated you were talking about 3-37, but now you are talking 3-42??? Please tell the OP where these so-called blocks are that you can walk the edges of. What road systems are they on? Keep in mind I've been doing road and cutblock layout in the area since the early 90's. I have a good grasp of how thick it really is in those cuts. Sooo, please tell me which areas you'd hunt if you had that doe draw?

Darksith
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Fisherdude,
Keep in mind I've been doing road and cutblock layout in the area since the early 90's.
pretty hard to do block layout up that way if there are no blocks isn't it? So you've been unemployed or laying out roads to no where for the last 12 years?

hillclimber
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
ahhh christ dana after posting those pics every tom dick and harry is gonna be there this fall:-D maybe even me lol. anyone know how fishing is in adams?

dana
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
pretty hard to do block layout up that way if there are no blocks isn't it? So you've been unemployed or laying out roads to no where for the last 12 years?

Never said I have worked exclusively in 3-42. If you can read I said the recent logging in there was from the 90's. Yup a bunch of stuff I was worked on. We normally have to wait for Greenup before we can develop adjacent timber unless it is beetle wood. Not a heck of a lot of pl leading in 3-42. In the last five years or so we have been doing more development in there. It sometimes takes several years from the time we hang ribbon till the time it's logged. What I can tell ya is a lot of roads that appear on google earth or in map books ain't drivable any more. They are either aldered up so bad you can't tell there was a road ever there or they have been put to bed with cross-ditches we like to call tank traps. And waiting for leaves to fall ain't really an issue in the cuts as most of the thick stuff in this unit is either pw, cw, or hw regen.
So Darksith, Use the Force Luke and tell me where are all these huntable late season cuts that you can see into are located in 3-42? Oh might Jedi, show me the err in my ways. Come make a fool of yourself once again as I find it rather humourous that someone who knows very little about a unit and has been shown as such, still comes back again and again to dig themselves further into the pit they have created for themselves. And they always seem to be the guys that get pissed at me and call me an A$$. :twisted::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks Dana, I greatly appreciate your advice and first-hand information, it was all a hunter could ask for!
Based on your info I'm going to put my muley doe draw in 3-37 (4-1 odds) instead of 3-42 (.8-1). The odds
aren't a lock but it sounds like the cuts in 3-42 are overgrown and the does are near the lake anyway. If my
friends aren't going moose hunting in the Cariboo I might put in for a moose draw in 3-37 as well, the odds are
not too bad, 8-1, and I might be there anyway for a muley doe. You've shown us bucks, elk, and wolves, thank-you,
any info on whether there's decent moose numbers in 3-37? One more thing, if we camp at the Honeymoon Bay Rec Site on the Adams West FSR, and we need something supply-wise, is there a store, gas station, etc, at what looks like a village called Brennon Creek?

#1fishslayer
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Brennon Creek is more like a logging camp I had a friend live and work up there. And yes from what Ive seen there is moose in that area. Adams lk has a General Store [downtown] lol, and Chase and Scotch Creek are within about 20minutes.

Jagermeister
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
You want to go well supplied if you're hunting the top end of 3-37. If you set up your camp in the vicinity of Gannett Lake, you are looking at ~90 km to the Adam Lake store and ~110 to Chase and about the same to Sorrento. About the same distance to Barriere too. Given that it could be winter driving conditions, you could be looking at 3½ hours return driving time not including shopping time. That's a lot of daylight hunting time lost because you will not hit open time at any businesses in those centers after 5 PM.
Going in the direction of Vavenby can be a challenge at that time of the year too. You can be pushing a lot of snow at elevation in that direction if the weather socks in and starts dumping snow.

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks Fishslayer and Jagermeister, I was planning on being pretty much self contained, so Adams Lake is the nearest stop for gas...good to know, bring jerry cans. Darksith, you mentioned cut blocks you can hunt in 3-42 and decent access roads, I was just wondering if you were up there recently? If it was some years ago, then maybe they've grown to the point where you can't see in there? Thanks for your help, guys...

Jelvis
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Upper Adam's is good moose country .. wham bam an leh 42 gos slam ..
lower part of 37 for big buck muley heaven .. biff bang a muley thang
Sinmax tah Camp Road for a huge toad .. from the road
Momich throw in some pepper from Cayenne Creek.
Gannett, Michelle and Tsikwustum Lake like eating double chocalate cake
from Garnet in the nor to Adams Hill in the deep 37 south .. shut yer mouth
lol
Get all corned up above Corning creek, call Zeke. Take a peek.
Get bugged and bucks and the odd bull up Bugcamp Creek up the Kwikoit
Jelly Bo Deli ..3-37/42 it's all you ... bucks bulls does and cows .. bbdc
The Nor River Rocko ( the wanna be Jocko approves this message ) .. looky concurs

wicket
04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
u have some sweeet rhymes sir put me down for 3 cds and pls sign them :)

dino
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Upper Adam's is good moose country .. wham bam an leh 42 gos slam ..
lower part of 37 for big buck muley heaven .. biff bang a muley thang
Sinmax tah Camp Road for a huge toad .. from the road
Momich throw in some pepper from Cayenne Creek.
Gannett, Michelle and Tsikwustum Lake like eating double chocalate cake
from Garnet in the nor to Adams Hill in the deep 37 south .. shut yer mouth
lol
Get all corned up above Corning creek, call Zeke. Take a peek.
Get bugged and bucks and the odd bull up Bugcamp Creek up the Kwikoit
Jelly Bo Deli ..3-37/42 it's all you ... bucks bulls does and cows .. bbdc
The Nor River Rocko ( the wanna be Jocko approves this message ) .. looky concurs
How about Tum Tum Jelly? Heard a rumor that up high early and down low late can really produce. Probably just a rumor though.

dana
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Nearest store is actually in Vavenby. 38 kms over Rd 2 Vavenby-Adams to the Adams West FSR. Then 9 kms to the Rd 40 junction. The silviculture campsite is way nicer than the Honeymoon campsite. It is at 8 km on the 40. If you are going to focus on 3-37, I'd suggest camping at the Molmich campground at 14 1/2 km on the 40. Beautiful site and pretty much empty from the end of Sept on. Rd 2 at the very least will be plowed for 4x4 access for the mine up Oliver. And yes, 3-37 is has a healthy moose population.

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Sweet, thanks to everyone for their info, and thank you Jelvis for the music, the song you're singing,
thanks for all, the joy it's bringing, thank you for the music, for singin' it for free! :-)

Whonnock Boy
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Sweet, thanks to everyone for their info, and thank you Jelvis for the music, the song you're singing,
thanks for all, the joy it's bringing, thank you for the music, for singin' it for free! :-)

Really?.... ABBA?....... Really???? :-D:-D Not bad, pretty funny!!

Jelvis
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Tumtum Lake up the Oliver, or and the Finn - Tum Tum fsr.
Up the Oliver creek fsr off the Tum Tum road and hunt between 4k and 8k and or 10 and 14 k.
Like Gold? Up Gold Creek way lots of drainage systems into the Gold Creek
.. Harbour Lake fsr whoa, onto Tum Tum - Harbour, then take the
.. Dungeon Newman fsr into the holy land.
These are your main veins .. Tum Tum is " The Heart " of hunting ..
Jelly Toad on Mt Smiley .. Put those hands up .. I see that hand ..
..............and another hand in the back yes, lift em up .. .. ... .......... Every eye closed every head bowed .. Yes I see that hand now's the time

dana
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Ever try to go up Gold creek nowadays? Good goat country but it'll take ya days to bust through the alder and a bridge or 2 are washed out.

Glassman
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I did the trip from Vavenby. Not fun, Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. You are either looking up or down. Way up and way down. Thick bush. Friend was a logger and did road maintenance up there. Lots of wolves. Chains needed when the snow flys. Go before to much hits. 1 inch at bottom=1 foot at top. If the cut block is on the lower side of the road, start at the top edge and walk about about a hundred feet in the bush and walk down thru the trees. I always seem to see deer at the bottom of a cut block. Friend lived in Birch island and we hunted for Mulies just east of Birch Island. Always saw a pile of does and wished I had a doe draw.
Just some tips

dana
04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Some years I travel Rd 2 almost daily in the winter. It ain't that bad..........when it's plowed. Sucks when she isn't. The snow drifts can be fun. There have been numerous times that I've gone over the top in the morn and decided it best to head to Barriere in the evening.

Jelvis
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
In early fall is when I would go up by Hwy 5 to Finn Creek in MU 3-41 turn onto Finn Creek fsr off Hwy 5 (Yellowhead) just north of Avola about 16 km past Avola going north is Finn Creek, when you start in it's MU 3-41 but as you drive up to the top and go over your in MU 3-42.
The Finn connects to the Tum Tum road, ok lights on? They meet.
When they meet either keep going north into deersville or head down south back to Tum Tum and moose swamps and deer meadows.
Jelly Do-nut .. Ask your self, do I want a moose or a deer? .. or both?
Throw in a black bear .. Check moose leh in 3-42 and gos each season.
This is fantastic hunting grounds.

jml11
04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Nearest store is actually in Vavenby. 38 kms over Rd 2 Vavenby-Adams to the Adams West FSR. Then 9 kms to the Rd 40 junction. The silviculture campsite is way nicer than the Honeymoon campsite. It is at 8 km on the 40. If you are going to focus on 3-37, I'd suggest camping at the Molmich campground at 14 1/2 km on the 40. Beautiful site and pretty much empty from the end of Sept on. Rd 2 at the very least will be plowed for 4x4 access for the mine up Oliver. And yes, 3-37 is has a healthy moose population.

This was going to my suggestion as well. I used to hunt the upper Adams a lot in my early days, mostly in the spring for bears and would routinely head up and over to Vavenby to get more supplies. At least you can hunt the whole the way to and from this way!

I've seen very few deer while hunting that area in November but I also wasn't looking for them...was looking for moose...didn't see many of them either...but I was a pretty nubby hunter at the time and on my first ever moose hunt...

Jagermeister
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I think Rd 2 should be named Spincter Pass. Definitely a snow belt over that hump. I don't think that road ever sees a plow between Friday afternoon and late Sunday night or early Monday.

Singleshotneeded
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a good area, thanks guys!

houndsman
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I hunt back there all winter & there is more wolves then deer

JNT
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
This thread / discussion is hilarious but sad. Most of the time when I view this site over just skroll through the pages of jibber jabber unless there is an interesting article or something that is relevant to what is happening in our own back yard.
Dana, and some of the other contributors, accurately depict the terrain, conditions and abundance (or lack thereof) of game in this area and for that they have my respect because we have shared some of the same landscape and history that stems from this area.
We have watched and to a certain degree have contirbuted to the change within this landscape through haresting, hunting and trapping in this area which has a long history of logging and wildfires that occurred ~1926 & ~1934. One thing that has dramitically changed in more recent times (~5-6 years) is the increase in wolf population numbers and how that have either displaced game or consumed it along the way. Such is the cycle of life, and this area will once again rebound, but the Mountain Caribou at the Head of the Tum Tum will likely not re-bound as there may never be enough breeding capacity in these isolated populations. Although the deer, Elk and Moose may re-bound, it is quite something to see the number of wolves that now stay in the area and have litters of pups that don't leave the area. It is my own opinion, but through our own observations, historically these wolves would leave the area in the summer months and displace themselves up the North Thompson and all over the place, and then come into the valley bottoms of the Upper Adams and gorge themselves on Moose in the winter, and so it was for years. I think maybe there are a few on here that would agree that there are many more wolves seen year round that are really neat to see but have not only left a wake of carnage behind them, but have also displaced the deer and moose into even more unhospitable escape terrain.
This is just once again more jibber jabber & drama for a bunch of computer nerds lurking over their screens when they should be out working or hunting, or for all those other contributors that don't live here, work here, hunt here, play here but some how have infinate knowledge about the area from their limitied visits, I say please come here and shoot some wolves,.................not deer.

Jelvis
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
If you see hardly any game and see packs of wolves doesn't make sense. Wolves have to eat so they go where game is.
If there's wolves there's game. Where do you people go for food?
Where there is food at a store. If the store is empty you leave.
You Clearwater types have a fear phobia about the big bad wolf. lol.
Jel .. Are you little red riding hoods relative or from Hollywood
We don't believe it anymore .. we know the area is still good .. get out of your warm truck :-D You must be an old timer lol .. in a glory daze

Weatherby Fan
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
If you see hardly any game and see packs of wolves doesn't make sense. Wolves have to eat so they go where game is.
If there's wolves there's game. Where do you people go for food?
Where there is food at a store. If the store is empty you leave.
You Clearwater types have a fear phobia about the big bad wolf. lol.
Jel .. Are you little red riding hoods relative or from Hollywood
We don't believe it anymore .. we know the area is still good .. get out of your warm truck :-D You must be an old timer lol .. in a glory daze

Now Jelvis you should know by now there are no deer in area 3 none,does this mean were not allowed to talk about the Kamloops area either !

JNT
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Good Point Jelvis, .................I must be full of it.
I come to Kamloops periodically and think it would be interesting to meet a person of your character with so much knowledge to offer and perhaps a couple of old farts like us could compare notes; please PM me and I will make all reasonable efforts to come meet you one day!

Jelvis
04-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Lol everyone has some reason as to why they didn't get that monster lol.
Some it's wolves and some it's tick infestation or the global warming is to blame because the deer are spread out and stay up higher now, which is all just excuses to not go out hunting like they use to lol.
Jel .. We all get older and do a lil less hard work as the years slip by.
Peace and love to all .. We might not go out as much or go into the bush off road steep climbs like we use to brag about but at least we get out road hunting and a few little hikes off road.

beni
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Clearwater area definitely is not what is used to be. It is very true that the wolves have taken over many areas. It was a very tough season last year, saw only a fraction of what we used to. Still didn't do too bad at all, but we put many many hours in. I should have taken pictures of the wolf sign from last season. But hey, Kamloops could very well have the same problem eventually. Ran into some Barriere residents who have changed areas due to a drastic increase in wolf population.

Jelvis
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
If you haven't seen game by Clearwater, but you saw lots of wolves, what does that suggest?
Jp .. careful .. you say the deer and moose pops are down so ....... ?
Might have to phone the bio's and tell them about it .......................
Might have to shorten the hunting season for a while in that area for moose and deer like region 8 does eh?
.. maybe limit the tagz a little more if it's as bad as you Clearwater folk are saying. You live there and hunt there for years so if your saying it's way down, then why don't you write the MOE, send them an e-mail.

Singleshotneeded
04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Hmmmm, does anyone have any good wolf recipes, lol?

Caribou_lou
04-06-2011, 11:58 PM
.Might have to shorten the hunting season for a while in that area for moose and deer like region 8 does eh?
.. maybe limit the tagz a little more if it's as bad as you Clearwater folk are saying. You live there and hunt there for years so if your saying it's way down, then why don't you write the MOE, send them an e-mail.

Limiting hunters by putting out less tags and shortening the season won't bring the wolf population down.

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
A $50 bounty per wolf would get certain individuals busy and help the game populations...
a much better solution!

Dannybuoy
04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
If you haven't seen game by Clearwater, but you saw lots of wolves, what does that suggest?
Jp .. careful .. you say the deer and moose pops are down so ....... ?
Might have to phone the bio's and tell them about it .......................
Might have to shorten the hunting season for a while in that area for moose and deer like region 8 does eh?
It would suggest to me that the wolves have affected the game population .... maybe they will switch to livestock and pets !

Dannybuoy
04-07-2011, 12:38 AM
A $50 bounty per wolf would get certain individuals busy and help the game populations...
a much better solution!

I like that idea ..but might have to sweeten the pot a little ...

Dannybuoy
04-07-2011, 12:40 AM
With the mill in Vavenby starting up this fall , are they going to be possibly opening up some new roads in that area? access could get alot better .

dana
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Jelly,
No one is saying the wolves have eaten all the deer. What is happening when deer get heavily pressured by wolves is they hit the thick timber and don't stray far from it. Deer have to be smart to eluade a cunning wolf. And a wolf is far more cunning than the average human hunter. Soooo, in areas of high wolf populations, finding a deer during the season is a lot harder than areas with little to no wolf populations. If you hunt 3-42, you not only have to work your ass off get a deer, you have to hunt smart as well. Even does are not easy in this unit. Gotta remember Region 3 antlerless LEH tags are Nov 1-30. You can't go with the strategy, "If it's brown it's down" as bucks are 4 point or better during that timeframe. You need time to identify a doe is not a spiker. And does that are heavily hunted year round by several packs of wolves, don't stand still long for ya to correctly identify them. Thus one of the reasons the draw odds are pretty darn good for that unit. Low success, low sightings, low access, means easy draws to draw. But most people want not only the draw but a pretty good chance at success too.

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Dannybuoy, A guy could set up a trapline baited with some fresh meat and catch 6-8 wolves...that's $3-400...
if he lives there and it's a weekend project that's easy money.

swampthing
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
That area is thick. Deer are hard to see in there. I used to take my boys in there for spring bear. Most bears were shot on the road. I hunted north of tum tum mostly. Its a nice place.

dana
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Dannybuoy, A guy could set up a trapline baited with some fresh meat and catch 6-8 wolves...that's $3-400...
if he lives there and it's a weekend project that's easy money.

There is a trapper in the area and he does focus on wolves. The last time I talked to him was around Christmas. IIRC he had caught 7 or 8 wolves by then. Seems as soon as one pack is cleared out, another pack takes it's place. The pack I encountered this winter were very active in the area I was working which spanned about 30 kms. Hunting them is not as easy as some think it is. 2 months straight of packing the rifle every day during prime time and I wasn't able to get one.