PDA

View Full Version : North Vancouver Blacktail Populations

x-hare
04-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Anyone notice lately all the sic looking Deer around. I happened to have these 2 wonder up to my hiding spot and you can tell one of them looks like it's got the mange or something. I have seen quite a few even in worse condition.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/x-hare_photos/th_0326111120a.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/x-hare_photos/?action=view&current=0326111120a.mp4)

kennyj
04-03-2011, 08:00 AM
They are shedding their winter coat.
kenny

huntcoop
04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Kennyj hit the nail on the head, winter fur is falling out, gettng ready for the upcoming warmer months.

x-hare
04-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry for the poor resolution but there is a deer in the vid that has hardly any fur on it's rear half more like a wool like its been shaved..The other Deer looks pretty normal .
I suspect summer coat already?
I first thought ticks but never found them to be a problem in the GVRT?
Saw a Moose like this once no guard hairs at all just ravaged by Ticks.

Caribou_lou
04-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Are deer able to get mange? I thought that only applied to wolves and coyotes.

urbanhermit
04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
are they getting a diet of barley from a deer feeder?

rides bike to work
04-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I saw two just like this up the chilliwack river valley today with big patches looked pretty haggerd.They had some funny behavior to I pulled up right beside them 30 ft away in a field and they both put there tails down and ears back and kept eating grass like it was there last meal one even kneeled on its front knees like they figured they were hiding from me

rides bike to work
04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I would like to know what are the habits of black tail deer this time of year I have spent quite a bit of time in the mountains lately and have seen very little sign but have seen lots of deer in the valley floor .also when do the does usually give birth and where elevation wise

x-hare
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
are they getting a diet of barley from a deer feeder?
Quite possible perhaps?
Mange? I'm not a Vet/Biologist but have heard of some kind of Wasting Disease .Your probably right.
About signs and symptoms of Chronic wasting disease (CWD) of mule deer and elk:
I don't think so but symptoms may vary

elkdom
04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
call David Susuki, get his opinion,, he will probably be just as confused as you are!

x-hare
04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
call David Susuki, get his opinion,, he will probably be just as confused as you are!
Ya he's got all the answer's--- Not

lorneparker1
04-03-2011, 12:39 PM
They are shedding their winter coat.
kenny

Just incase everyone didnt read this

TyTy
04-15-2011, 06:42 PM
every other deer i've seen on QCI the last 2 weeks had some rubbing. its natural, summer coat coming on.

any body that has an out door house cat will probably notice they are shedding like crazy about now, same with the wild animals.

however; not all deer are in good condition at this time of year. we noticed the bigger deer (ei the bucks) had nicer coats on the QCI. obviously the getting the better feed that is coming about now.

buck nash
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I saw two just like this up the chilliwack river valley today with big patches looked pretty haggerd.They had some funny behavior to I pulled up right beside them 30 ft away in a field and they both put there tails down and ears back and kept eating grass like it was there last meal one even kneeled on its front knees like they figured they were hiding from me

They are often less wary of people in the early spring, probably too hungry from the winter to leave a good patch of spring greens.

BBD77
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
here is that actual cause....... its becoming more and more common on VI and the mainland Coast... i had an oppurtunity to discuss this matter with a wildlife vet.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/hair_loss/index.html

x-hare
04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
here is that actual cause....... its becoming more and more common on VI and the mainland Coast... i had an opportunity to discuss this matter with a wildlife vet.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/hair_loss/index.html

Yes this seems to be the situation -- sad were loosing a lot of deer
Infestations are heaviest during late winter and early spring, and many affected deer, especially fawns, die during this time.
The urban populations seem to be the most affected
And apparently the resources aren't available to really get after this.