PDA

View Full Version : ..... NEW Hunting BOOTS......

pse&remington
04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Just doing some research and found that there are some unhappy hunters out there.

I am in the market for some new boots and was looking at the meindel canada boots, but... some of you have had a bad experience with the company and as well the construction of the boots so....

Anyone out there have some advice on a solid constructed, waterproof boot?

Slee
04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
What kind of hunting are you going to be using them for???

If your looking for a stiff backpacking sheep/goat hunting boot, the Scarpa Liskamm GTX or Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme would be a good choice.

If your just looking for a general waterproof deer hunting boot, then the Danner Canadians are a good option.

Muleycatcher
04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Bought some Lowa Hunter GTX Extremes last year and I love them. Very waterproof and lightweight. Reasonably priced out of a place called Baker's boots in Oregon.

pse&remington
04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
danner canadians seem to look similar to the irish setter elk tracker but twice the price, maybe a better leather?

Iam looking for a pair of boots that would suit elk, moose, and bear hunting havent yet been hunting for sheep or goat but am looking forward to doing so in the near future.

Slee
04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
danner canadians seem to look similar to the irish setter elk tracker but twice the price, maybe a better leather?

Iam looking for a pair of boots that would suit elk, moose, and bear hunting havent yet been hunting for sheep or goat but am looking forward to doing so in the near future.

I can't comment on Irish Setter boots, as I have never used them. I have used Danner Canadian boots. They are very well made, keep your feet very dry, have great support, and the bob sole actually works very well, even in the snow. The leather is a little soft for sheep/goat hunting, and would be all cut up in the rocks. Danner also has great customer service. They replaced a pair of boots for me for free, 3 years after having them.

pse&remington
04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
wow that is awesome, thanks slee!

Deeboe
04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Bought a pair of Meindel 'alaskan hunters' 2 and a half years ago and have been thrilled with them. They fit my feet well and have been extremely durable. I have packed 2 elk and 1 goat from a very narley cliff face that had loose shale most of the way down. The extra rubber around the sole protected the boot very well. I also use them on the off season for hiking and fishing. If they keep holding up they way they are i should easily get another 2 plus years out of them before i think about looking for another pair. Very comfortable, and not too heavy. Not bad for just under 300 dollars. They have my endorsement.

Bow Walker
04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
You know the boots that I've been wearing for the past 6 years? They fit your criteria, being waterproof, sturdy, comfortable and above all, long lasting.

They are called Hi Tec Rainier Event, I get them at Mark's. Lots of support, very sturdy in construction and they have a good Vibram sole. They go for around $200.00

edchunterfreak
04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I used Danner boots for both work and hunting. I do landscaping so I'm on my feet all day on trimmers blowers and lawn mowers I usually will walk a boot out in six months Danner has lasted me over a year so far. And for hunting I don't expect to need new boots for a long time.

kennyj
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Schnees Hunter Boots.
kenny

combine pilot
04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Canadian Meindl from Cabelas. Have had a pair for 11 years. A buddy of mine had a pair of Canada pro Meindl and had nothing but problems with them. Don't know if it makes any difference or not but they are slightly different boots. He bought a pair of Kenetrek boots and really liked them. My Meindls started to leak on me half way through last hunting season so I bought a pair of uninsulated Kenetrek boots. Big mistake they leaked the first time I wore them and gave me quarter size blisters inside toonie size blisters; Brutal. They would not give me my money back, all they would do is exchange them so I got a pair that was insulated and they are alot better, comfortable and water proof. So to summerize I think you kind of throw a dart at a board with different boots on it and hope for the best.

PS
I have heard from a couple of other people that they love their Hanwag boots.

todbartell
04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
I bought a pair of Danner Canadians a few weeks back. So far, very happy with them

Craddosk
04-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Check out Hanwags. They can be hard to find, but they have a fantastic set of boots. I'm running the Yukons right now, and they are an amazing, traditional, leather style hiking boot.

Wood butcher
04-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I think it's very important that the boot fits YOUR foot properly. You will hate a great boot if it does not fit you right. I chew through boots pretty quickly. I liked the Danners aswell but I roll my feet abit and the heels break down with the softer leather. It took 4 years though.
I'm trying out some Viberg hunters now. They have a reinforced rubberized heal and toe for increased support. So far they work great 1 season in.

Lots of good boots out there just make sure they fit!

MattW
04-03-2011, 08:02 AM

The Irish Setters are Chinese made I believe, while the higher end Danners are made in the States (Oregon I think). The less costly Danners are also Chinese made. I know in a mountain boot I love the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (excellent boot) but I'm also looking for more of a flatland boot for myself, I'm pretty much sold on a set of White's.

338 winmag
04-03-2011, 08:09 AM
If you're going with the Meindl Canada boot, buy them from Cabelas so when the sole comes apart they will send you a new pair. If you can wait, Lathrop and Sons will have their Hanwags Trapper Elites out in May or June for 400 bux, that's the route I'm going.

Craddosk
04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
If you're going with the Meindl Canada boot, buy them from Cabelas so when the sole comes apart they will send you a new pair. If you can wait, Lathrop and Sons will have their Hanwags Trapper Elites out in May or June for 400 bux, that's the route I'm going.

Track and Trail in Edmonton also sells them. When I was there a year ago, they had the Yukon, Alaska, and Trapper GTX. Great boots, all of them.

Chuck
04-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Well I can't comment, as all the makers mentioned it seems, don't make an extra wide. The only boot that gave me any joy to wear was the "Prospector" that was once made in Quebec, and it wasn't even a highend or top notch boot. Chinese boots suck imo.

rusty3547
04-03-2011, 10:21 AM
i use scarpas for sheep hunting a buddy of mine had medells but is switching to either kenetrex or scarpa

MattW
04-03-2011, 10:38 AM

They told me those boots were coming last summer when I was looking for boots. I put in an order for a set of Trappers in the winter but they had none left in my size and told me the new ones would be there for summer. I wound up buying Kenetreks (which have been great). I'm just saying don't wait too long if you need them for next season. I'm sure they'd be a great boot though.

BiG Boar
04-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I have the Lowa GTX hunter in wide and love them. They will be my mountain boot. I also have the danner Canadians in wide and love them too. They are more of a flat land boot. Both have around 600 grams of insulation. If I had to choose one I would go with the Lowas. Not cheap though at $400 with happy feet insoles.

pappy
04-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I bought scarpa sl m3's, I find them to be very good in the mountains and down low I use them with a pair of gators. The gators help with crossing water just below the knees but you can't stand in the water too long or it will soak through where they overlap the boots. The scarpas are tougher to break in but a good pair of boots always is.

Deaddog
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
don't be scared of off meindl's I have used the canada pro's for years and have nothing but good to say about them, I believe there were some issues when they switched leather but they have gone back to the old leather.....I would check out kentreks if you are stuck on not going to meindl's ..DD

338 winmag
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm on my 3rd pair of the Meindl Canada boot, seems each version is cheaper then the last. Cabelas has no problem replacing them but sucks to walk off a mountain like this.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/P5120012.jpg

BCrams
04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Track and Trail in Edmonton also sells them. When I was there a year ago, they had the Yukon, Alaska, and Trapper GTX. Great boots, all of them.

x 2 - I've owned / used all pairs you listed. I was out with a fellow all day today and he picks up his Hanwags from the Edmonton store. Worth looking into for a better deal price wise when looking at the border costs from shipping via Lathrop.

Bakers Boots has been awsome for the Lowa's I've ordered with none of those costs involved.

, I believe there were some issues when they switched leather but they have gone back to the old leather.....

You don't say eh? You're the 2nd person who has mentioned this in the last month. I was told vehemently by the owner they hadn't changed the leather as long as those boots were in production (at the time of issues). Guess he was trying to save face when getting called out on those boots with the pair I received at the time as well as from others. Even photo's of an older pair of Canada Pro's from a buddy vs the pair I used on the same hunt highlighted the dismal differences.

In any case, they've lost me as a customer for the huge headaches they gave me when dealing with them.

bigwhiteys
04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
If you can wait, Lathrop and Sons will have their Hanwags Trapper Elites out in May or June for 400 bux, that's the route I'm going.

I have a brand new pair of the Hanwag Trapper Elites... They have been available for a while but are only imported in limited size runs so when they sell out they don't have more for a while.

There seem to be only subtle differences between these Elites and my old Trapper Tops.

Carl

338 winmag
04-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Good to know Carl, I've tried to order them twice with no luck, they told me to try again in June.

fudge
04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I have used Danners for year and had a few pairs. The last pair I had The toe cap broke after half a year. I sent them back and they sent me new ones. After only a short time with them the heal cup startedto cut me and pulled away from the boot, I once again sent them back and now have a brand new pair and have yet to see if they give me any issues

snareman1234
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I own a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes....they are full grain leather, rock solid boot, awesome support.

I think it is just my feet, but for some reason the front balls of my feet get sore after hiking in them for a few hrs tho, usually after coming down a mtn.

Very well made boot for sure tho

dutchie
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I am wearing Hanwags and they are bay far the best mountain boots I have ever put my feet in to.

I work on a concrete floor, and I am walking all day. I was just telling my dad that I do not get tired feet when I am wearing these boots but others I do. I worked about 60 hours last week walking all way long wearing these every day.. it was my arms and back that were sore but my feet were great every day.

I think that there is one place in Canada that sells them and they are around the $450 mark IIRC.

Anything that is good on rocks or has a "Vibram" sole will be horrible in the snow... you really do need 2 pairs of boots.

Dutchie

Rugernator
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Pickup a pair of Irish Setters.. Elk Trackers are F****N nice.

pse&remington
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks to all for posting your thoughts on boots, couple new brands I havent heard of, so thanks.
Still trying on boots and hope to have a new pair of foot armour soon! Just need to make the right buy when spending 4 hundo on a pair of boots, you have all helped greatly! Best of luck and
Happy hunting

Trapper D
04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Danners to me are the best, the style that have the stitched down , that can be resoled, as this is a free service with danners

The Hermit
04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
ASOLO hikers best boot I've ever owned!! Pricey but worth every penny.

grizzhunter64
04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Meidle canada boots all the way, usually get 4-5 years and thats with sheep hunting as well, you won't be disappointed!

KevinB
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I have been happy with my Lowas. I have the non-goretex Baffin Pro as I'm not a fan of a W/B membrane in boots but ymmv. Purchased through Bakers in Oregon and as BCRams said, no extra charges, good prices, and excellent to deal with.

Jonny outdoors
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I bought a pair of Mendel -Canada pros from AJ Brooks and one of the guys I hunt with got a pair from cabelas in the us they are definitely not made the same. After one trip up north chasing elk for ten days his boots started to show a lot more signs wear than the ones from AJ Brooks. The boots from Cabelas have foam exposed to the elements just like the photo shown by 338 winmag, seems like a weak spot for sure. I have a lot of miles on mine now and still comfortable and water proof to the point I can cross a creek with water up near the top of the boots and my feet stay dry.

I bought a pair of Irish setters from the red wing store two years in the row and the boots fell apart ,I believe the boots were elk trackers. The elk trackers were very comfortable but didn't hold for me. Thats when I decided to get a pair of canada pros, very good boots in my opinion for what it is worth!

IPA
04-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Has anybody tryed zamberlan or scarpa boots ?

pse&remington
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
My last set of hiking boots were Zamberlan, they lasted me almost 10yrs. Despite the two-three years off due injuries. Just replaced them last week end with the La Sportiva - cascade gtx. Loved my Zamberlan but these new La Sportiva offer great support and are amaziling comforatable. Despite the ugly looks the sole is quite soft and offers a cushy and quiet approach. I cant wait to put some miles on them. And as a spring and early fall season boot I so far see them to not only be affordable at mec for 190 big ones, they have so far exceed my expectations.
As for my main hunting boot I am looking at Kenetrek, Lowe Hunter gtx, and the Hanwag Trapper gtx. Hope this helps, Good Luck!