PDA

View Full Version : Sawrovski or Leica?

Alpine Addict
04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
So Im trying to decide on which New spotting scope I should get. I used to have a Leica telavid 77 20-60X. But I foolishly sold it, and now regret it. I have also used a Swarovski, but Can't remember enough to compare them. Any opinions? Leica telavid 77 20-60X or Swaro 65 ATm 20-60x?

Thanks,

AA

.300 DAKOTA
04-01-2011, 07:27 PM
leica has better glass

Old Crow
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I would go Swaro personly.Had a ATS 65 HD.The very best IMO.Do a side by side comparison if your dropping that kind of money

pescado
04-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Have only used the Swaro so thats all I can base my opinion on. Excellent spotting scope. We had to make a base to balance it on the tripod properly. Once you get the tripod and that scope working it picks up game very well.

Don_Abbate
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Swarovski has better glass

dutchie
04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
not true at all.

Leica and Swaro get their silica from the same quarry. This will produce the same type of glass. Sawro is known for bird watching and thier crystals, Leica is known for surgical lenses and cameras.

You have to look through them both and make the right decision for yourself. My eyes will say one thing, yours will say another.

Both are top end products, can't go wrong with either. And in all reality you do not need HD for hunting... The blue phase correction is what gives you the HD... this is usefull in high end photography or close in work. for hunting you do not need to see every hair on the sheeps head to tell if it is full curl or not, or to count 5 points on a 'bou or 3 on a moose. 4 on a deer, blah blah blah...

put the extra money into a Mystery Ranch pack and a super light weight tri-pod.

Dutchie

Maxx
04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
not true at all.

Leica and Swaro get their silica from the same quarry. This will produce the same type of glass. Sawro is known for bird watching and thier crystals, Leica is known for surgical lenses and cameras.

You have to look through them both and make the right decision for yourself. My eyes will say one thing, yours will say another.

Both are top end products, can't go wrong with either. And in all reality you do not need HD for hunting... The blue phase correction is what gives you the HD... this is usefull in high end photography or close in work. for hunting you do not need to see every hair on the sheeps head to tell if it is full curl or not, or to count 5 points on a 'bou or 3 on a moose. 4 on a deer, blah blah blah...

Dutchie

Good infor Dutchie for sure. I would add that the fine focus knob on the Leica is an advantage, it makes it easier when on higher magnification to focus. The Zeiss is good for this as well. The other thing to consider is the lens, the new Leica is using the 50x wide angle, personally I would prefer the 60x Swarovski.

Make sure you look at them side by side to compare, everyones eyes are different!

evhunter
04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
not true at all.

Dutchie

Probably the best advice you'll get. Hit it on the head with "HD"! Unless you're attaching to a camera, your eye will not appreciate the light correction.

For my binoculars, I prefer Leica and own 2 pairs, 8X32 Ultravids and 10X25 Ultravids. My spotter, a Swarovski 65mm angled. My hunting partner has the 77mm Leica and though it's a very good scope, I chose the compact size of the 60X Swarovski. When your laying down that kind of coin, you've gotta try 'em all and pick up what suits you.

Magnum22
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
You could not go wrong with either. I have a televid 77 and just bought the new Swarovski Atm 80 HD. I have spent many hours comparing in different situations and have found no comparable visual difference.

Fisher-Dude
04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I have Leica binos and a Swaro spotter. Both are amazing. I don't think you'd regret either one.

Just make sure you don't get sucked into some shit optics from China as "just as good and way cheaper." :D

porcupine
04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I love Leica but, in all honesty, both are great. Can't go wrong with either.

boxhitch
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
The fine-tune feature may be a bit of an advantage for some
Aside from that, the top three are all apples

boxhitch
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Swaro has the detachable eyepiece
If that matters

Alpine Addict
04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks Guys. Im thinkin I'll go with the Swaro. I remember my leica being a bit bulkier and heavy. Now to decide angled or straight..

pickaspot
04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Both are top notch... the (optional) angled eyepiece on the Swaro is clutch for comfort and for "peeking" over cover.

Whonnock Boy
04-01-2011, 11:32 PM
My personal opinion on angled versus straight, is angled. It gives you more options when setting up to do some spotting. I have read on here several others preferring the angled as well for this reason.

Bhphoto video has the ATM-65 going on sale tomorrow for $1240. That does not include the eyepiece. I know this because I was salivating over it a couple days ago. I do not buy out of the States often but, if it is going to save me a pile of money I cannot help myself.

If you do get it out of the states watch out for UPS brokerage and import fees. Ship it to a PO box and bring it across yourself. If you don't, or can't do that you can send it to my PO box. I will make sure it is in perfect working order before I send it to you. I would be willing to do that for a fellow HBC'er. :-D

If you have not figured it out yet, I vote for the Swaro's . I do not have a Swaro spotter, but I do own 10X42el's. They have done me well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673325-REG/Swarovski_49704_ATM_65_Spotting_Scope.html

Devilbear
04-01-2011, 11:59 PM
One of my best friends and frequent hunting partner is an optics expert and has/does own many examples of Zeiss, Leica and Swaro optics, which he has used all over the world in hunting and photography. I have used my own Zeiss, Leica and am just buying my first Swaro scope, but, have used other peoples since 1967 and for work, not only recreational uses.

My buddy flatly states that the Leica glass is the current best, he also likes Zeiss and Swaro in his many rifle scopes. I currently prefer Leica bino, spotter and am more inclined to use Leupy and Zeiss Conquest scopes as they are lighter and more compact, which suits my uses better.

For BC, I would and do choose the 16x48 Leica Armoured 62mm spotter, my third personal spotter in 30+ years and also a 10x40 bino, again, a Leica. I do not care for the current Zeiss binos, but, treasure my 1975 vintage 8x30 B/GAF, the genuine NATO model that took me almost two years to get by special order and the quality was obviously superior to the commercial models then available at Leo's. I like Swaro bino. models, especially the older armoured ones, heavy, but, stable and very bright in dark conditions.

Pick whichever you like best, you cannot go wrong. And, right on, the above warning about Sino optics is well worth heeding.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Sawrovski .. you will know where the money went every time you use it ..

Hunting guy
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I purchased a swaro ats 80 from the us and the only fees I had to pay were sales tax for the provice it was sent to. That was paid at the post office and the value on invoice sent was only $1000, (I didn't even ask them to do this) I also paid for the upgraded shipping and had it in 7 days. Was very easy and saved a lot of money.

mod7rem
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
If you are thinking of going 77mm again, you might want to take a look at the Kowa Prominar(HD) 77mm. It gets great reviews and you might find that the biggest difference between it and the other two is price. Comparing doesnt cost much. Good luck.