PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting

KMH
07-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm a fairly new hunter, but hunting has become my obsession. I've only shot one mule deer and one black bear so far and now im setting my sights on a moose. Can anyone please recommend a good area for me to hunt, my dad dosn't want to go any farther north then prince george.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

07-23-2006, 06:51 AM
7-08 south of PG (Hixon) treated us good a few years ago when we hunted moose in the area. Lots of people, but there seemed to be lots of moose, at least back then (5 years). Also don't know what the beetle kill and logging show has done to the area since then.

30-06
07-23-2006, 09:18 AM
fort fraser area is good and it isnt all to far from prince george i dont think .i maybe wrong tho

pupper
07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
yah 7-8 has a fair amount of moose but also alot of pressure,
I also saw alot of moose/tracks around pimanous lakes in merrit.

talver
07-23-2006, 01:45 PM
do you have a draw? if not if i were you i would go up north past prince george. if you drive another 2.5 hours your in 7b peace region and your odds go way up. do you know how to call . PM me for more info

Jelvis
07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
K, You don"t have to go to Prince George to hunt Moose altho That is one nice spot to go after moose there is no way a person could doubt that. Prince is the centre of moose. So whats a guy from the Island or Van to do. Well since the idea is to get out in the bush away from town. Why not try Region 3 Set up a little camp around Helmer Lake just above Merrit, or Kamloops area for a spike or two point.If you want try the Bonaparte it"s wild just north of the famous town of Clinton B.C. MU 3:30 from hwy 97 the Bonaparte River road. Moosey deery and grousey what more could you ask for? Check you regs. Jel

Krico
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
If it's your first time hunting moose, I would suggest hunting an area open for "any bull." Unless you have an LEH, only 2 point bulls are open in the PG area. Finding a 2 pointer is tough enough for experienced moosers, I would not recommend it for a first timer.

todbartell
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Fort Fraser is 90 mins west FWIW

Bullmoose
07-25-2006, 07:24 PM
The Black Water area South West of Prince George has been pretty good to me but with all the bug kill logging devasting the landscape it would be hard to recommend an area. I understand that the area North of Hwy 16 will be the last to be logged so it might be a better bet even if it is a few hours out of PG. An option a little closer is the Tranquille Lake/Porcupine Ridge area North of Kamloops, it's been a few years since I've hunted there but it was a very productive area for over 10 years.
Good Hunting:smile: