PDA

View Full Version : Bear down in early April?

BCBear
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Okay it's that time again where my wife knows that I'll be coming home complaining about the wall of snow that impeded my access for spring bear, or that there isn't any sign yet, but every year I "forget":confused: and go out in search anyways, albiet for fun too.:wink: May is best but still we go in early April.

So my question is:
Has anyone here actually got a black bear in the first week or two of April?

bigwhiteys
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I haven't personally killed one that early but I have definitely seen them out that early on the Island... I've got the quad apart right now checking all my CV boots, changing all fluids, greasing everything and gettin'er ready for this weekend. I'll putt around the area close to home and just have a look... I imagine the price of gas might slow bear hunting a little bit as it seems the majority like to put miles down on their vehicles pounding logging roads and glassing slash.

Carl

MB_Boy
03-30-2011, 09:51 AM
As I am usually still bombing up and down the Whistler highway during the month of April enjoying spring skiing I have definitely seen them out that early along the highway. I have also seen them plodding around in early April on the ski hill, and around Whistler Village.

I guess it also depends on which area you are heading to.

TheProvider
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Its definately possible to get one. Prolly won't taste aswell though, better if they have a few weeks o clear out their system and munch on some fresh greens. I admit though it'll be nice to get out an start searching again :D

03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Havent heard about people shooting in early April, although on the island they are out. But the ability to go into the forrest with the intent to kill is a great thing in itself!

greenhorn
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
My first bear ever (island bear) was harvested in mid april. I was scouting around cowichan lake two weeks ago and was already finding scat piles....

Slee
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I shot a nice black bear on the 13th of April last year in the Koots. Lots of snow every where, and had to snowshoe into areas. I started seeing bears out on the 5th. Best time of year to hunt bears. Great coats and no other hunters out.

jml11
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Did a trip to the island a few years back and we harvested bears on the 7th and 9th of April. Saw a few more in the days earlier but I think we only saw 9 bears in the week...it was pretty slow compared to what you should experience in the areas we hunted.

BlackwaterHunter
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I saw 2 bears near pg last week, a cub in a tree and a sow near the base

Trapper D
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Its definately possible to get one. Prolly won't taste aswell though, better if they have a few weeks o clear out their system and munch on some fresh greens. I admit though it'll be nice to get out an start searching again :D
Im heading out on the 31st to set up camp. Is that true, about them not tasting as good at this time of year? Never tagged out this early before, as Ive generally been a fall hunter. I was thinking the earlier , possibly more tender?

greenhorn
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't know about the taste issue. Probably depends more on animal age than whether it's shot in early april.
FYI - I use a slow cooker to cook my bear, always turns out tender and delicious without any gamey taste. If you haven't tried a slow cooker, I'd recommend it, especially for the tougher cuts.

emerson
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
My wife's massage therapist saw a black bear up in a tree the other day here in PG. Still 2+ feet of snow north of town.

jml11
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Im heading out on the 31st to set up camp. Is that true, about them not tasting as good at this time of year? Never tagged out this early before, as Ive generally been a fall hunter. I was thinking the earlier , possibly more tender?

The worst tasting bear I have eatin was our early spring bears...which tasted like a rotting chum carcass...even the sausage we had made...but this may have been a function of them being from the island, shot within a few hundred meters of the ocean. Probably hadn't eaten enough green roughage to get rid of the last falls gourmet meals influence on the meat. You can also potentially expect the bear to be littered with worms if he is freshly emerged. I didn't notice any on our early VI bears but have seen them in other early interior spring bears.

Trapper D
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
The worst tasting bear I have eatin was our early spring bears...which tasted like a rotting chum carcass...even the sausage we had made...but this may have been a function of them being from the island, shot within a few hundred meters of the ocean. Probably hadn't eaten enough green roughage to get rid of the last falls gourmet meals influence on the meat. You can also potentially expect the bear to be littered with worms if he is freshly emerged. I didn't notice any on our early VI bears but have seen them in other early interior spring bears.
thats encouraging , a rotton chum tasting ,worm filled bear, yum.

Mr. Dean
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM

You are what you eat.....

A lot of sh!t happens when you're hibernating; All bears NEED to graze in order to get their metabolism's in check, cleaning out the toxins following a long sleep. I typically allow 1 month once they're up-n-about, before goin in for the kill.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Saw this bear on April 7 th....but it may have been the following to this footage? Can't remember.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=Cap0011.mp4

Pretty late spring this yr but that could make the early-risers easier to find.

SSS

hunter1947
03-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Today I found six places where bears had turned over a log just recently done..

IronNoggin
03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Some are already up and about on the Island. Had a decent steelhead stolen by one just a couple days back now...

Cheers,
Nog

springpin
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
There was a Black bear sow and a cub spotted at work(Kicking Horse Mtn Resort) yesterday.

BromBones
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Saw some film yesterday of a grizzly on the south slope of the Itchas, vid was taken on sunday. Nice chocolate boar, close to a 7 ft'er.

leadpillproductions
03-30-2011, 08:44 PM
I shot one years ago first week of april in williams lk

Tikka270wsm
03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
April 12/2008 I shot a good boar(6'4 nose to tail) near Toquart Bay. I was working and living in Ucluelet at the time and hunted hard from opening day every chance I got. This bear was the fourth one I saw that day but the only shooter. He was feeding on the grass along the side of the mainline and was really aggressive. His face was really scared up and grey and while pulling the hide from the skull I found a shit load of healed over bird shot inbedded in the poor buggars face. I love hunting bears on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. Hunt the mornings and evenings hard and spend the afternoon casting Buzzbombs off the rocks for Sea Bass, Lings and Springs.

adamgarbett
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm just looking forward to getting out in the bush with a gun and hi hopes lol. Somthing about having a tag to fill just makes it seem funner? Crazy me, LOL

henderson
03-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Will be heading out on the 16th to my buddy's cabin to take a look for them

BCBear
04-12-2011, 06:09 PM
No takers so far for this season...3 days till the 15th. Who's going to bang the first one?

warnniklz
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
No takers so far for this season...3 days till the 15th. Who's going to bang the first one?

ME ah ah... may long weekend...

pathfinder55
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Chased a big one off my deck last night at 2:30 on Sumas Mtn....Peter

cavebear
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
wife got one on the 14th last year

Vanguard
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Surprisingly yes, I got one on april 2nd in 2006 near Boston Bar. Cinnamon about 180lbs. taste was no different. and there was only snow at the top, the roads were fine. not much grass but there were bears there, I remember seeing like 3 just in the morning that all bolted as soon as we came around the corners, and seeing numerous later in the day as it got warmer with the same results, the area used to be loaded with bears. Now its so dead. Got mine on the way out in the the evening. Not gonna bother this year until the end of april.

300wsmXboltKiller
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
May 5th my earliest bear but passed on many smaller bears earlier than this i usually see about 20 to 30 bears b4 i decide wich one i go for but there is been alot of activity where i hunt black bear hoping someone doesnt take the red one i seen last year as he was smart gunna try find him again this year :) happy hunting everyone

Phil
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
May 1st and 2nd (double header) a few years ago was my earliest.

TRIPALM
04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
saw a nice bear yesterday uprooting skunk cabbage ,down low ,ill go back next week for a closer look ,very little scat in the timber where they wintered

warnniklz
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Being the 15th tomorrow I believe this thread should be closed... as it'll be late April.

Ah ha ha... JK

dave_fras
04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
i just got back from checking the tcam... saw some real fresh crap on the way into the cam.. i havent check my pics yet... maybe hes on there?!

Elkhound
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
taken a few bears early april..............but that was whn I was putting 5-6 days a week in..........and alot of times coming home without even seeing a bear. Nowadays I dont even start looking till end of april and may. Hell....some of my favorite spots for bears the last few years still have a few feet of snow on them even near the end of may.

warnniklz
04-15-2011, 08:24 AM
taken a few bears early april..............but that was whn I was putting 5-6 days a week in..........and alot of times coming home without even seeing a bear. Nowadays I dont even start looking till end of april and may. Hell....some of my favorite spots for bears the last few years still have a few feet of snow on them even near the end of may.

Global warming sucks an elusive donkey... some of my spots had snow up high in June...