PDA

View Full Version : Quesnel Lake

spiker
03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Any suggestions on a cabin for rent on the May long weekend? Wanna take my wife & son fishing and looking for a place on the lake. Thx

warnniklz
03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Elysia Resort comes to mind. Haven't stayed there but have heard good things before. Only place I can think of. Worth taking a look.

warnniklz
03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah... take rifle... big blackies should be around!!

.330 Dakota
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Elysia Resort, really nice spot, google it--good website as well, good rates

knighthunter
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
We rented a cabin at I think was "Northern Lites" at Likely. It was great, kinda pricey but there was enough of us to keep the cost down.

BradB
03-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Another vote for Elysia. Beautiful country. The staff are great, too.

srupp
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Hmmm Elysia Resort..seem to be great folks..nice..very nice area....WARNING..WINDS ON THAT LAKE CAN COME UP ALMOST INSTANTLY AND BE DEVESTATING " bear hunting should be exellent in around there..

Steven

Williams Lake

BradB
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Hmmm Elysia Resort..seem to be great folks..nice..very nice area....WARNING..WINDS ON THAT LAKE CAN COME UP ALMOST INSTANTLY AND BE DEVESTATING " bear hunting should be exellent in around there..

Steven

Williams Lake

Very true, though once you get across the junction where the arms meet (right in front of elysia) you're usually ok. You just have to be very conscious of the conditions you'll be going back through or you could end up unexpectedly camping on the spit at the entrance to the north arm ;-)

KB90
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Elysia resort.

Some friends of ours have a cabin just down the road. Been in to elysia to check it out. Nice place! Fishing for rainbows is good straight across on the corner at the junction of the North and East arm. I don't know what kind of adventure you'd be up for but little wasco lake, is a short hike off quesnel lake. Theres a little canoe up there. Catch small rainbows every cast, nice set of falls too. O and ton of bears.

TimberPig
03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Plato Island Resort is another option. I've got a 5th wheel parked there with a deck and roof built around it (semi permanent, it stays there rear round). Their cabins are clean and dry, but nothing overly fancy either.

I'll further the warning to watch out if the lake starts blowing up, it can get very rough quickly for even a large boat. If there is a black wall of clouds coming from the west, you're going to want to get off the lake unless you like being tossed around and getting wet.

Riverratz
03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
'nuther vote for Elysia. Stayed there couple of years ago for a week. Great people, excellent facilities, everything you need and then some. Highly recommend it.

spiker
03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the your suggestions, we'll check out both resorts. I've seen the black wall at Canim one year and yah thats a good time to get off the lake!

Any advice on lures,depth,etc. Do in need a downrigger or will leaded line work?
Thanks

srupp
03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
use APEX lures//downriggers..pretty long leaders....faster trolling speeds..fly lines egg sucking leeches closer to the incoming creeks..of course lead line will work.....

cheers
Srupp

TimberPig
03-30-2011, 09:33 PM
3-4 oz slip sinkers work decent as well. I know a couple guys who use dipsy divers or planer boards too.

Lyman lures work good if you are targeting char. In spring the water is still relatively cold so the rainbows won't be too deep, for that matter neither will the char be very deep then either.

Trolling speed in the 2.5 to 3 mph range usually works better than slower speeds, and if you want rainbows and are only getting char, bump it up a bit. The rainbows can't get to the hook before a char is on it if you go to slow. Once you bump it up, the char are too lazy to get to it quick enough and the rainbows have a chance.

srupp
03-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Elysia doesnt open up until MAY 14TH...just checked with the manager personally////.......Harmony..

cheers
Steven

.330 Dakota
03-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Elysia doesnt open up until MAY 14TH...just checked with the manager personally////.......Harmony..

cheers
Steven

Seems to me I checked last year as well and got the same answer, but that should be great for bears if your headed out the long weekend or just after. It sure is a nice spot isnt it Steve

srupp
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
perfect timing for bears..

steven

.300WSMImpact!
03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
I know of a place in likely, I think it is a house on the lake, send me a PM and I will dig up the contact for you

spiker
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Just booked a cabin at Plato Island Resort, can't wait!:-D

TimberPig
04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Just booked a cabin at Plato Island Resort, can't wait!:-D

Now you get the pleasure of meeting Clint (the so called manager) and his incredibly manly dog (Yorkshire terrier) when you go. He is just a tad strange, but you shouldn't have to deal with him much other than checking in and leaving.

I plan to be out there on May long to get the boat in the lake for the season and rake up my leaves, but have other commitments in town for most of the weekend.