PDA

View Full Version : Prince George CORE

Hemi
03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Well I am going to put my 10 yr old in the core program in April. Any pointers for him I have been working with him birds, ungulates gun saftey any other pointers. I am hoping I can sit in the class with him Sheldon Clare will be teaching. he is a good teacher I took the core with him. Just wondering what I should expect for the practical. All I have is a 300 now lever actions no shotgun. Just worried my boy might freeze up. ???

tomahawk
03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Well I am going to put my 10 yr old in the core program in April. Any pointers for him I have been working with him birds, ungulates gun saftey any other pointers. I am hoping I can sit in the class with him Sheldon Clare will be teaching. he is a good teacher I took the core with him. Just wondering what I should expect for the practical. All I have is a 300 now lever actions no shotgun. Just worried my boy might freeze up. ???

The question you should ask yourself is "Does he want this badly or do you"?

If you are concerned about him freezing up then you may need to stop and make sure he is ready or this could be a negative time for him and taint him from hunting for a long time. There are 10 yr olds that are ready for CORE and there are some that are not, I have experienced both in my yrs of teaching. Failing a 10 yr old is not fun for the teacher or student.

Pietila
03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
i just took my core last week.. for the practical i had to pick up and show him whatever caliber round he asked for. he asked to pick up the different kinds of action(bolt, lever, hinge) and safely make sure its not loaded and safely pass it to him. he then had me safely cross an imaginary fence. The main thing is safety dont touch the trigger, always prove its unloaded and never, ever point it at anyone. He said if i accidently bumped him with the gun its automatice fail.. Im sure your son will do fine though.

Hemi
03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
The question you should ask yourself is "Does he want this badly or do you"?

If you are concerned about him freezing up then you may need to stop and make sure he is ready or this could be a negative time for him and taint him from hunting for a long time. There are 10 yr olds that are ready for CORE and there are some that are not, I have experienced both in my yrs of teaching. Failing a 10 yr old is not fun for the teacher or student.

No, he wants this he has been hunting with me and loves it. He has been reading the book and he can tell you about cervids and boivids ungulates diving and dabling ducks he knows what the specculum (sp) is. He knows abit I just can't work with him on some guns as I don't have them. I know they will be on display. If he does fail does he have to retake the coarse or just the test..??

TPK
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
He can just retake the test. There are two parts, the written and the gun handling. If he was older and held a valid PAL, he would be exempt from doing the hands on gun handling portion of the testing.

McSledder
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
hey PM'd you

tomahawk
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
No, he wants this he has been hunting with me and loves it. He has been reading the book and he can tell you about cervids and boivids ungulates diving and dabling ducks he knows what the specculum (sp) is. He knows abit I just can't work with him on some guns as I don't have them. I know they will be on display. If he does fail does he have to retake the coarse or just the test..??

That's good to hear, I am sure he'll do fine because his heart will be in it. The young kids that mostly have trouble are the ones that are told to go get there CORE. Sheldon will spend part of at least one night reviewing all action types, showing proper use and handling. Safety is #1 whenever the firearm is in his hands, make sure he proves its not loaded and controls the muzzle every firearm he touches and when crossing the fence. TPK has answered the test question. Tell your son to ask about the action types and handling if he is not clear on them, he'll get the help he needs while in class.

sledforever
03-30-2011, 04:41 PM
What tomahawk said about in class is true. Took mine two or three years ago and whenever we went for a coffee break or whatever the teacher would stay behind and let you ask any questions you might have. After class he was willing to stay a bit longer as well

Hemi
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Can I be in the class with him during the coarse and leave at test time??

hunter#1_300
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
you bet you can sit in with him just have to leave for the test and i would suggest it my dad did with me when i was 10 too helps ya understand a bit more .. whos the instructor

Hemi
03-30-2011, 08:32 PM
you bet you can sit in with him just have to leave for the test and i would suggest it my dad did with me when i was 10 too helps ya understand a bit more .. whos the instructor

Sheldon Clare I believe

henderson
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I took my CORE last year and there was a young guy in there with his dad sat through the course and sat right beside him during the test kept his mouth shut but was there for morale support. Im not sure if this is correct protocol but my instructor didn't seem to mind. Maybe he talked to him before the test set it up so his son wouldn't feel as nervous? Not sure really but I know we were all cheering for him when he passed!

tomahawk
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Can I be in the class with him during the coarse and leave at test time??

That should be no problem, just front it with Sheldon, remember the purpose of the CORE course is to improve the knowledge of perspective hunters so that they can enjoy our sport of hunting by being knowledgeable and safe.

Hemi
03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Signed him up today for the coarse april 16 - 17 wish him luck

WesHarm
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Good Luck!! I Just signed up for my PAL, Tell him im rootin for him! :P

wickit
04-01-2011, 08:20 AM
When it comes time for the practical test just remind him to keep his finger off the trigger it's 1 point agaist him every time it touches and don't sweep the instuctor with the muzzle that will be a automatic fail.
All the best.

Hemi
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Well I day down 1 to go. This is long day when you are there just for moral support. He did good was a bit hard for him to stay focused for the whole time I had to keep him on track.. tommorrow should be better..

Hemi
04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Well the little guy missed the written exam by 9 questions and passed his practical.. So he has to study regs outdoor safety animal id and firearms so we will see how it goes. He is studying pretty hard