PDA

View Full Version : Green Timbers Trout pond in Surrey

knighthunter
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Wife & I stopped in there saturday shortly after lunch and were watching the fisher people catch the odd trout. There was a guy & his daughter fishing, she was about 9-10 years old and she was using a spincast reel, whereas the dad was using a spinning reel. I'm guessing the dad was in his late 20's. She was trying to cast and he was helping her. He was teaching her by holding the rod upside down so that the reel was on the bottom. It was really awkward for her, and it would be for anyone. When she actually made a cast and went to reel in, he still had her holding the rod upside down. I could tell by her actions that she was right-handed but had to reel in with her left hand by turning the handle backwards. He also had a friend fishing beside him and he never said anything about how it was being done.
I wanted to say something, but some people can't take friendly advice, so I never, but, it was painful to watch. I felt sorry for that girl. I can only hope that guy is on this board and reads this. Then he bangs his head on the wall a few times.

labrador
03-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah lots of trout in that manmade lake this time of the year, it is a good place to spend time with family including biking and walking dogs.

bsa30-06
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Theres a few of those lakes around great way to spend a saturday afternoon.There is lafarge lake in coquitlam,and rice lake in north van.

nano
03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc454/Nano12ga/007.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc454/Nano12ga/006.jpg

Here are a few that I got a few weeks back. It a nice little lake to spend time at.

Sleep Robber
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey, look at the triploid trio :mrgreen:. Hope you had fun out there. :-D

Kyle84
03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Green Timbers is just down the road from me. Been fishing there a few times since march. Great little urban lake that holds lots of fish and tons of birds to watch. Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery will release larger trout that weigh up to 8lb into the lake, but most are pretty small. Its a gong show some days with people lining the shore.

warnniklz
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Right on Nano!

Just wondering... when you cooked up those trout... did the meat have a yellowish tinge?

Kyle84
03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I've heard there are carp there, but never seen anyone land a carp. Anyone else heard this?

mudNblood
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Wife & I stopped in there saturday shortly after lunch and were watching the fisher people catch the odd trout. There was a guy & his daughter fishing, she was about 9-10 years old and she was using a spincast reel, whereas the dad was using a spinning reel. I'm guessing the dad was in his late 20's. She was trying to cast and he was helping her. He was teaching her by holding the rod upside down so that the reel was on the bottom. It was really awkward for her, and it would be for anyone. When she actually made a cast and went to reel in, he still had her holding the rod upside down. I could tell by her actions that she was right-handed but had to reel in with her left hand by turning the handle backwards. He also had a friend fishing beside him and he never said anything about how it was being done.
I wanted to say something, but some people can't take friendly advice, so I never, but, it was painful to watch. I felt sorry for that girl. I can only hope that guy is on this board and reads this. Then he bangs his head on the wall a few times.

I guess on the plus side the guy was out there trying. Far too many parents don't make the time to take the wee ones out to experience these things. My kids are happy with the rod in their hands just running around the camp, let alone getting the line wet.

knighthunter
03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
It was nice that he was showing her how to fish and to enjoy the outdoors. We didn't stay long but while we were there we saw 4 fish caught. All were about 12 inches long and all were released.

Chuck
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
You make an interesting point kh, with regard to the rod & reel she had. Too many parents buy their kids those stupid "Walt Disney" cartoon fishing sets. Imo, they are totally junk and because of what you said, kids won't have a good experience. It's not as if a proper spinning outfit is that much more than a cartoon set either. So go buy a better outfit for them, put a weight on the line and teach them on the lawn how to over and under cast and put the weight in the target area.

The Dude
03-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Might have been a good idea to say ''Excuse me, but I know a bit about that type of reel, and I could show you an easier way to use it, if it's ok with you.''
But the guy's trying.....good to see. Quality time, indeed.

nano
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
They had a nice color to them. Out of the six my Dad, bro and me caught those three were the nicest. But like someone said already it is a gong show out there, Makes you wounder if some people go there to grocery shop.:(

knighthunter
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
The weekend before, my daughter & I were there and it was pretty much shoulder to shoulder along the north side. Some fish were caught but never saw any kept.

Kasomor
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Ah...the little pond that started it all!

My family use to lived walking distance from that pond. Actually we were there before the pond was built. My family watched the city clear cut the circle in the forest, dig the holes for the pond and finally my son cast his first line into the water from his little Mickey Mouse fishing rod when he was four years old. That Mickey Mouse fishing pole was the first fishing pole my family ever owned.
He was probably holding it wrong cause I did not know what I was doing either. :tongue:

Fast forward fourteen years.... we now have a ridiculous amount of fresh water gear. A really, really ridiculous amount.....he's one of those kids that fishes before school when he can. Thank god that "little" boy has worked at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle since he was 12 so he can finance his fishing obsession! :mrgreen:

He has also been stocking that same pond while doing work experience with Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery for the past three years and is enrolled at Vancouver Island University in the fall in the Aquaculture program.

Yup, it's the little pond that started it all. Brings a tear to my eye....sniff... :-D

03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I have to say as well, The guy probably had no idea what he was doing either. Otherwise im sure he would have said something. He was trying to get his daughter out there so he would have taught her what he could im sure.
as for it being a gong show (i have never been there) These places tend to be, Simply because this is where people who dont fish much go. We require places like these so kids lisk Kasomors can go have fun and learn about fishing. Who cares if their triploids, diploids or other pen raised round tails. This is a place people go to get out and do something other then skatebord down town.

We have places like that here in Victoria where guys go after work with their kids, sit on a cooler and chuck a bobber. Not where i choose to go but when i have a kid to teach it will certainly be the first palce!

buck nash
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
2 years ago when we had the big freeze, i saw 2 guys ice fishing there. they chopped throught the ice and dropped their lines. It wasn't more than 30 seconds before they had a fish on and the second one only took anther minute or 2.

noahs ark
03-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I have heard that the society places their old broods back into that pond and there is a chance of hookin the odd bigger fish.
Probably pretty earthy tasting trout i would imagine.

steelheadSABO
03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I bash my own head when i see people using their spinning reels upside down at the river. I want to tell them that it's not supposed to be so difficult

Ride Red
03-30-2011, 07:18 PM

I don't feel sorry for this girl at all. The kids I feel sorry for are the ones who's parents don't spend anytime with at all. That little girl probably couldn't have cared less about how she fished, just that she was spending time with her dad. It's good to see parents spend time with their kids, no matter how they are doing it or how much they are spending. What matters is they're actually having fun together. I'd rather see a goofy fishing rod, than a 7- Eleven kid anyday.