PDA

View Full Version : Types of Dog owners.

03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Due to a recent thread about dogs with some arguing in it I got to thinking.
I think most of this bickering happens because there three types of dog owners.
Because of this you tend to one line of logic and think you are right. But since we all own dogs for different reasons we cant aggree with one and other. so here we go, I'll try to put this to words as best i can and see what you think.

I'ts just a dog owner:
these ownres just have dogs as pets. And dont put much more thought or time in it then that. This is a wide group but for the most part dont put much thought into the dog. Dogs are just dogs.

The worker:
This owner puts a huge amount into the dog. Hunters, trials, agility Etc.
These people put in research, training time and vet time. They have more invested into the dog. Dogs are more then "Just dogs"

The rescuer:
Some one who wants a pet and wants to help dogs. Loves the dogs but doesnt always see the reason for a purebreed. Dogs are not Just dogs, but also arent tools.

There is obviously alot in between these three but i bet If you think about it you tend to one side. And is the base for alot of opinion based arguing.

Yes im bord, maybe i didnt put my thoughts down right but what do you think? Can you expand?

keoke
03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I have my dog as a pet first, worker second. But I treat it like a dog, some people think I am harsh to my dog because of it. I do not physically harm my dog, but when she does something I don't like I make sure she knows. What grips me are the dog owners who "ask" their dog to stop doing bad behavior. Bad behavior = no respect in my books.

Tripitaka
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Folks don't agree for lots of reasons but you touch on a very relevant point with your statement "Because of this you tend to one line of logic and think you are right." It takes a lot of courage and effort to change your view to "I know what I think now but it might be wrong so I'll listen to everyone else and try and find some information that may change my mind". The sasquatch thread is very interesting in this regard.

Most folks want to be right but fail to appreciate that we learn from being wrong. If we don't make mistakes, we never learn - I know plenty like that. Once that foundation is understood, you can add whatever topping you like - dogs, politics, religion, calibre, truck brand etc etc. Opinions are like a**eholes - everyone has one and they all stink.

Sasquatch
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Your catagories sound pretty accurate to me. I would include one for people like farmers, who have dogs that aren't really pets or working dogs...they just sort of hang out on the farm. My inlaws always had dogs like that.

What I find interesting is that people who have such similar interests - dog lovers - can have such a hard time getting along. Maybe once you become an expert on a subject, it can be difficult to accept people who you think are doing something wrong.

Bow Walker
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
There is another category to your types of dog owners 835, and that is the type - maybe a sub-type of the "Pet Owner" - who think that their dog(s) are part of the family. By that I mean that the dogs get more than the average share of care and attention. Not obsessively so, just more than the average.

The Dogs-Are-People-Too category don't 'work' their dogs, but they do get them out for regular exercise - and they care for them like one of their kids. So the comments from this category are often emotional and subjective, rather than the "The Worker" category's comments which tend to be more objective and impartial. Hence the chance(s) for debate, often testy debate are high.

jmho...

03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I have my dog as a pet first, worker second. But I treat it like a dog, some people think I am harsh to my dog because of it. I do not physically harm my dog, but when she does something I don't like I make sure she knows. What grips me are the dog owners who "ask" their dog to stop doing bad behavior. Bad behavior = no respect in my books.

So you may be "Worker" But what would seporate you is How you chose and treat your dog.
Do you spend hours training your dog?
did you reaserch the breed a bunch? Pick a dog with health checks? This would put you into one "Type" of owner

You saying it is a pet first ( i edited my orig post to clairify) To me can be all the groups.
What seporates us is Why we own the dog and How we came to decide on the dog itself. This leads to what we do with the dog and how we treat it.

From your post i would put the "Asking" the dog to stop being bad into the First catagory, Just a dog owner.
And you i would put into the Worker. Being a pet is common amongst the groups.

03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
There is another category to your types of dog owners 835, and that is the type - maybe a sub-type of the "Pet Owner" - who think that their dog(s) are part of the family. By that I mean that the dogs get more than the average share of care and attention. Not obsessively so, just more than the average.

The Dogs-Are-People-Too category don't 'work' their dogs, but they do get them out for regular exercise - and they care for them like one of their kids. So the comments from this category are often emotional and subjective, rather than the "The Worker" category's comments which tend to be more objective and impartial. Hence the chance(s) for debate, often testy debate are high.

jmho...

I was about to put that exact catagory in there BUT!
I would fall into it for sure my dog is family in that way but what i thought seporated me was...

I picked a lab to work him, i checked his health etc. So i put myself into the Worker catagory. I activly hunt him for upland and water fowel.

This is obviously bigger then what catagories i posted, I just think fundamentally we fall into the three at a base level. Though we can share opinions. I think you are a rescuer? so you cant check health. and dont care for the Hunt trial side of a dog.But you may Baby it the same as me.

oldschoolguy
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
It's JUST a dog. In my books at least. We've always had a few dogs running around the farm, getting in the way while you're walking, killing the odd rat. Getting chased off the patio when we have visitors. We treat our dogs well, feed them what they need, give them a nice doghouse, which they usually end up chewing to smithereens, but they rarely make it to the vet. Would never spend more than a few hundred bucks before they get the coup de grâce with the .22, and go lay with the dead chickens in the mass grave. There's dogs where its harder, and some where its easier, but mostly its just the part of life. And for those who have personal hunting dogs, what better favor can you do your dog than have the last sound it hears, be the sound it loved. (no offense meant to anyone with that last line. Just wondering)

03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Yep,, yer definatly a Cat 1 !!!!!

greenhorn
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd be a rescuer I guess.

People who see me train my dog think I'm a bit harsh with him. There is no hitting or anything cruel, but when he doesn't listen he gets corrected and learns that he needs to listen on the first command. I don't enjoy the correction, but it warms my heart when we go hiking together and he listens to commands and has a blast running all over the forest.

I think to myself how bad he had it before we got him from the pound, and how his life is now and when he smiles and pants and passes out in my truck from an exhausting day of fun....... I think yea, training is what's best for him and he's going to be better for it.

Ozone
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I would be in Bow Walker catagory. I take my dog to work, but I do the work. I may hunt with my dog, but just as a companion or hunting partner. To me dogs are family. I also prefer labs, but like most all dogs. The same cant be said about people.

Kayte
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
The worker:
These people put in research, training time and vet time. They have more invested into the dog. Dogs are more then "Just dogs"

The rescuer:
Some one who wants a pet and wants to help dogs. Loves the dogs but doesnt always see the reason for a purebreed. Dogs are not Just dogs, but also arent tools.
dogs don't have to be pure bred to compete, achieve titles, etc. ;)
many of the "dog people" i hang around with have dogs with more letters after their names than your average doctor... and those dogs were somebody elses' garbage. heck, just recently a good friend of mine and her dog won agility Silver Award of Merit and Expert Silver Standard titles. she's the first Am Staff in Canada to achieve this title. that dog had her ears cut off (not a vet crop), was overbred and thrown away like trash before my friend got her out of the shelter.

i have put a massive ammount of work/time/money into my dog. she's treated like family, but she's still a dog. due to her poor conformation, we don't compete in anything, but i'm damned if i'm going to let her become some fat couch potato that's good for nothing! she's 6 years old now, and we're still doing classes continuously. she loves to learn. we just started tracking this year, and i hope to get some K9 nosework started up here in Canada (it's a big sport down in the US).

guess i've got a foot in each camp, if i had that many feet. :)

newhunterette
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I think I fall into all the above categories: I have a Chihuahua, he is my pet, part of the family, purchased specifically because of his breed, his size and for me to have as my own, he is my baby (my kids are more independent so I felt a need to fill the void. Then I also have the worker, my black lab, she was purchased for hunting, to be trained (it hasn't been a perfct relationship but we love her even with her slight abnormalities) and then the rescue, we have our newest rescue aquisition, my blue heeler, she is a gem and has fit into our family as a new pet. 90% of the animals we have or have had are rescue animals and usually suffering from some sort of condition. The main focus we have in our family is all our animals from the gold fish to the dogs are family members and when we lose one of them it is heartbreaking.

03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
dogs don't have to be pure bred to compete, achieve titles, etc. ;)
many of the "dog people" i hang around with have dogs with more letters after their names than your average doctor... and those dogs were somebody elses' garbage. heck, just recently a good friend of mine and her dog won agility Silver Award of Merit and Expert Silver Standard titles. she's the first Am Staff in Canada to achieve this title. that dog had her ears cut off (not a vet crop), was overbred and thrown away like trash before my friend got her out of the shelter.

i have put a massive ammount of work/time/money into my dog. she's treated like family, but she's still a dog. due to her poor conformation, we don't compete in anything, but i'm damned if i'm going to let her become some fat couch potato that's good for nothing! she's 6 years old now, and we're still doing classes continuously. she loves to learn. we just started tracking this year, and i hope to get some K9 nosework started up here in Canada (it's a big sport down in the US).

guess i've got a foot in each camp, if i had that many feet. :)

This is why i put Agility into Catagory 2, sorry if i missed some other names for it but i think your friend is Cat 3/2
rescuer with work. more to 3 then 2 because if she was all cat 2 she would have got a PB border collie. Sorry i know nothing about agility, As i have said this though of mine is VERY general. But i am sure there are people in agility that would look down on the Bit bull in agility!

Bow Walker
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I was about to put that exact catagory in there BUT!
I would fall into it for sure my dog is family in that way but what i thought seporated me was...

I picked a lab to work him, i checked his health etc. So i put myself into the Worker catagory. I activly hunt him for upland and water fowel.

This is obviously bigger then what catagories i posted, I just think fundamentally we fall into the three at a base level. Though we can share opinions. I think you are a rescuer? so you cant check health. and dont care for the Hunt trial side of a dog.But you may Baby it the same as me.

Ya, I do fall into the Rescuer category - both my dogs are "rescued" dogs, one of them was treated so horribly that I just wish I knew who the perp was...

I do fault myself for not training as thoroughly as I should because I don't discipline well at all.

Kayte
03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
if she was all cat 2 she would have got a PB border collie.
where's the challenge in that tho? ;)

03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I think a border collie is enough of a challenge!!!!! :)

Kayte
03-29-2011, 12:27 PM
true. i couldn't live with a border collie unless i could buy him a really expensive toy... like a sheep farm.

MooseWhacker
03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
There are many types of dog owners thats why there are many breeds and they should be properly matched with the right owners wheather pure bred or not.

Kayte
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
There are many types of dog owners thats why there are many breeds and they should be properly matched with the right owners wheather pure bred or not.
amen to that! :-D

shadow1982
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I use to have couple of working dogs, I trusted both my dogs with my life... they were my partners when we were out working, there is no room for error… I loved both my dogs, but if they made a mistake they will know, that they have made a mistake, I never beat them up, most of the time a look was enough or a loud “NO” would be required, sometimes you have to correct them with taking their favorite toy away.. in other words I did not do anything to the dogs that I wont do to my kid if he ever makes a mistake.

I believe if you are not a leader you will make a crapy dog owner. Dogs were wild animals and there was always a alpha male and they see you as an alpha male…

I guess I would fall under the worker category

sky-gunner
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Have a purebred newfounland pup. Spend money on him like he's another one of my kids. He goes to obedience school. Eats expensive natural food. He is super good with kids, but also will grow to be at least 150lbs. Has a deep bark. Wanted a dog to look after the wife and kids while I'm at sea working.

Kasomor
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Because of this you tend to one line of logic and think you are right. But since we all own dogs for different reasons we cant aggree with one and other. so here we go, I'll try to put this to words as best i can and see what you think.

I'ts just a dog owner:
these ownres just have dogs as pets. And dont put much more thought or time in it then that. This is a wide group but for the most part dont put much thought into the dog. Dogs are just dogs.

The worker:

The rescuer:

There is obviously alot in between these three but i bet If you think about it you tend to one side. And is the base for alot of opinion based arguing.

Yes im bord, maybe i didnt put my thoughts down right but what do you think? Can you expand?

Difference of opinion happen. If you thought the "I'm worried about my dog" thread was bad you should read the "My cat got attacked in my front yard" thread in the Open Chat. You know some opinions should just stay not be written. :(

The cat one and a recent dog one both OPs were told go put a bullet through the animals head and were ridiculed for spending $$ at the vet on the animal.

I get it that to some people view “pets” as disposable. The shelters are full of throw away animals. Seems to be a number of people on this forum that feel vets are a waste of money and it is a regular opinion that .22 is a cure all….cause there is always another throw away, rescue looking for a home or they or their buddy can always breed another dog etc…. There are folks that feel any amount of money spent to buy a dog and to maintain a dog is money ill spent. It’s just the mentality of some people….

They spout off about people who do spend money on their dogs are ignorant and those of us who do spend money on our dogs spout off about those who don’t are ignorant as well. :)

I see the “I’m worried about my dog" thread has now deteriorated into “purebreds” have more health problems then mixed breeds. Which is confusing to me since the OP states he has a heeler..which is not a mixed breed dog. :confused:

I disagree with the opinion that mixed breeds are healthier then purebreds …but for me to point out that there are no organization keeping health records of mixed breed dogs is a waste of time and I’d be opening my self up to be accused of being pompous, a know it all, or need to get a life, etc.. again.

It really sucks when facts don’t agree with your opinion….it is way easier to simply spout off. Or better yet, when someone disagrees with you to spout off on an unrelated tangent. Now that cracks me up! :mrgreen:

I have had rescued mutts. They were not just "pets". I have a stray cat who has been our prisoner for 10 years now. Her only job in life is to puke on the carpet. Don't tell me a .22 would solve the problem she is more then just a pet. My current dogs are "workers." They are my hobby. I put a huge amount of time and energy into everything to do with them....gee, maybe I DO need to get a life!! :tongue:

Lone Ranger
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm kinda of a mix of all three categories: there's no way I'd ever pay $800+ for a purebred dog that [as far I am concerned] will behave no differently than a free/cheap 'rescued' dog [with the same training and temperament], and from my personal experience I have actually preferred the temperament of most mixed breed dogs. I have them for companionship as their main role, but I do expect them to work as well [I expect them to pull their own weight too]. I love dogs more than any other animals, but the only reason I don't currently own one is because I've yet to recently find one that has won my heart over and because I cannot have one here on the farm due to the amount of other dogs loose on the property as well. It has become a major issue getting the dogs that we do have to get along (they're left to roam free, not by my choice), and due to one in particular that was attacking the others we had to give her up for adoption. Unfortunately, it already left the mark on the others so they have become extremely territorial and very defensive towards other dogs. They are the landlord's dog, not mine, so it is her choice and there's nothing I can do about it (I have tried talking to her many times about it but she refuses to listen).

The only problem I have found with rescued/free animals is that they generally have come from a less-than-pleasant upbringings, and are usually untrained and undisciplined. When you get an 8 month old or older dog that has been ignored or beaten, it can be an absolute nightmare to change its behaviour and train it properly. However, there are exceptions and that is what I look for because there are good dogs out there in need of a home, and they want nothing more than to please you and make you happy, and that is the right temperament because that is a dog that will try and can be taught. Its sometimes a little difficult breaking them of their bad habits, but with enough patience it can be done. Hey, I recently acquired an absolute idiot of a cat and he's gone from being a complete retaard to becoming a pretty decent little rodent to have around. I never would have guessed it, but he's a pleaser and it didn't take him long to figure things out compliments of a bit of discipline. Dogs aren't really too different. LR

LukaTisus
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I spoil the hell out of my dog, but she's also one of those rare ones that, despite the spoiling, listens to me flawlessly as I've established that this is my house, and she is not in charge. We've got a mutual bond and she is by far the best dog I've ever owned, as such I do everything to ensure she has a happy, healthy, fulfilling life with me that's not on the end of a chain, or stuffed full of 'people food'. She's allowed in the house, she's allowed on the furniture, and if people don't like it, then don't come over and sit on it.

She doesn't destroy anything, she doesn't bark excessively, she doesn't escape the yard and go gallivanting all over the country-side like I've heard all her siblings do, she comes when called and, for the breed she is, is absolutely fantastic around people's small animal pets once it's established that they're off-limits.

She's more than just a dog, to me.. but that's just me.

Kasomor
03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
there's no way I'd ever pay $800+ for a purebred dog that..

Soooo...I guess you won't be getting a pup from this guy anytime soon :mrgreen:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366517/Red-Tibetan-Mastiff-Most-expensive-dog-sold-nearly-1m.html

Mishka
03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I suppose I would fall under the "rescuer" category. However, I've only "rescued" them once when I adopted them (one from the SPCA at 1.5 yrs and one from a disfunctional neighbour at 10wks). They are part of the family and great companions. They're a different species so they're not treated like humans, which also means I don't expect them to behave like anything other than what they are; dogs. They were taught manners and respect and were disciplined when necessary. I provide them the best I can and show them a great deal of love. In return they've given me respect, affection and a bond that is truly amazing.

sky-gunner
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366517/Red-Tibetan-Mastiff-Most-expensive-dog-sold-nearly-1m.html

That's like damn near 2 milskies Canadian. Well if you got the money why not I guess but damn.

dutchie
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
worker...

IMHO a properly bred dog is worth it if you want to try to make the best of the best.

All dogs will learn the trade the owner wants them too.

Mr. Deans Boxer will flush and retrieve grouse, and he gets pretty excited about birds.I know a Vizal that is a dog that retrieves off the Ladner Marsh.

I did alot of research into my dog and it has made my life as a first time trainer go very smoothly becasue He had the Blood tracking, pointing and retrieving bred into the dogs brain and I just have to refine his instinct.

Just my thoughts

Dutchie

Lone Ranger
03-29-2011, 11:20 PM

Yeouwch.. well, I guess if you just have way to much money burning a hole in your pocket.. LR

Sasquatch
03-29-2011, 11:48 PM

I don't think this is true. You'd be hard pressed to get a DD to herd sheep, or get a beagle to point birds, no matter how much you train them. You might find the odd one that can, but overall, those kind of traits only reliably come from many generations of breeding.

Tripitaka
03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
It really sucks when facts don’t agree with your opinion….it is way easier to simply spout off.

A wiser man than me once said "Never let the truth get in the way of an opinion, a good story, a joke or the chance to make love to a beautiful woman!"

03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
HA HA HA!

ok, I stoped at Kasomor and will read the rest in a minute!
Kasomor, Yes it was that thread that got me thinking about this. And you for sure were in my mind as i made up my list.
Please dont take offense to this as i am not judging you opinion here. What my point was is the "Sociology" of dog owner ship, and how it gets to mess up these threds. This one has now, by skimming over it gone to a pure breed debate as well.

Old school guy falls clearly into catagory 1, as i ment it to be. You fall clearly into Catagory 2 as i ment it to be and i think Spear is Catagory three. I was looking for debate on why we respond as we do in these dog threads. At root i think we really do fall into these three types of owner and the ideals with in them,,, with a bit of crossover :)

I am not trying to start an arguement just a debate. And i dont want to bring Spears thread into this although it was what made me start this one. Pure bread vs mixed breed vs "No paper pure breed" was not my intention.

I put my self into 2

03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
worker...

IMHO a properly bred dog is worth it if you want to try to make the best of the best.

Mr. Deans Boxer will flush and retrieve grouse, and he gets pretty excited about birds.I know a Vizal that is a dog that retrieves off the Ladner Marsh.

I did alot of research into my dog and it has made my life as a first time trainer go very smoothly becasue He had the Blood tracking, pointing and retrieving bred into the dogs brain and I just have to refine his instinct.

Just my thoughts

Dutchie

This, Dutchie is what im getting at.
Your self, Kasomor and me. Being that we have dogs that we intend to work
look for a dog. There are things we look for. Breed, health and whatever. This would make us prone to say "You must have health checks"

Where as old school guy would not need health checks and may propose the .22 cure.

I do think emotion is all through it. We all love our dogs, but we may differ on how to treat them.

Again i am just using people who have responded her as example, i am not
arguing.

oldschoolguy
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Most of our dogs used to be bought at the spca, or raised from pups born from dogs we bought at the spca. They're usually very hardy animals, and don't need any treatment. If one of them gets sick, we will give some medicine from the farm, or if it seems small enough get it checked out. If they're gonna cost piles, or if they're in pain, than we end the pain. Give them a shot. Quick and painless. its a shot of lead.

Lots'oLabs
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
:-D

I'ts just a dog owner:

The worker:

The rescuer:

Well done 835!! Pretty much sums up the basis of our opinions.
I fall deeply into the worker catagory (as I'm sure you guessed). In fact so deeply that as I write this I'm in Northern California where we've been training for the last 4 weeks. :-D:-D:-D

dutchie
03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
you are right but, what I ment to say is that a mixed lab/sheperd will learn to retrieve birds and sit in a blind with any PB black lab. (just saying that it is not a pure breed), or you can train english pointer and lab how to point.

The biggest issue is the over all performance. Will they squirm in the blind, or sit still, will they hold point or point and flush...

You took what I said to the extream but I can understand your point, with one that think that thier Pomeranian will retrive ducks.

Dutchie

labguy
03-31-2011, 04:11 AM
:-D

I'm in Northern California where we've been training for the last 4 weeks. :-D:-D:-D

Yea right ........rub it in why dontcha. We just lost our pond ice yesterday.

Lots'oLabs
03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
:razz:
Yea right ........rub it in why dontcha. We just lost our pond ice yesterday.

i thought you were coming down??
Supposed to be 28C today....water...water...water...:razz:

Iron Glove
03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Guess we are "workers" as we researched the breed and breeders ( now that's a whole 'nuther story ), have both in agility and hope to hunt one. The dogs and us are on first name basis with the Vet, the Pet stores, etc.
I think the description as "workers" tho' really means that I'll be working the rest of my life just to cover the cost of having the mutts.

03-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I think the description as "workers" tho' really means that I'll be working the rest of my life just to cover the cost of having the mutts.

Exactly my point!
Since i am trying to not have the debate being Pure vs Mutt, As this fundamentallly has nothing to do with treatment which is what i want to debate. Because it is the treatment Both health related and training relatedis what we differ on in these "Catagories"
anyone of them can own a mutt op a Pure breed.

BUT! a worker or a Rescue person may spend every bit of money on their dog, Where as a "Just a dog" guy may not. This would spill over to training as well. A rescue guy and a just a dog guy may not see the value in the Major training a worker will!

I may be talking back on myself soon so i appoligise in advanse. I am flying by the sea of my pants a bit and some of this is made up/thought out as we go.

horshur
03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
a working dog that cannot has lost it's value.......the sentiment of the average pet owner will not be able understand....

Jimsue
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm in the working group. At 6:00 tonight I have a 6 hour drive to a field trial in south east Washington, last week was a FT in Fall City Wa. the week before was back in SE Wa. and next week Maple Ridge and on and on. With this much time effort and dollars involved do you think we check things out or just buy our dogs from the Buy & Sell. And we also have a rescue weiner dog.

03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
do you think we check things out or just buy our dogs from the Buy & Sell. .

Used Victoria? :mrgreen: JK

I very much though you put every bit into you Dogs! I hope on my next dog to get involved to a degree in Hunt test. I dont know much about it other than i would like to see how far i can take a dog. I love the look in Chases eyes when i task him. I got Chase when i lived in Ucluelet and unfortunatly had no idea about that level of training. But to my rescue i have met a few poeple here that i hope will point me in the right direction next time!

Kasomor
03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Exactly my point!
Since i am trying to not have the debate being Pure vs Mutt, As this fundamentally has nothing to do with treatment which is what i want to debate. Because it is the treatment Both health related and training relatedis what we differ on in these "Catagories"
anyone of them can own a mutt op a Pure breed.

BUT! a worker or a Rescue person may spend every bit of money on their dog, Where as a "Just a dog" guy may not. This would spill over to training as well. A rescue guy and a just a dog guy may not see the value in the Major training a worker will!

I may be talking back on myself soon so i appoligise in advanse. I am flying by the sea of my pants a bit and some of this is made up/thought out as we go.

Is there a poll feature on this new fancy site?? :-D

Do a poll on how much money, IF THEY HAD THE MONEY, someone would spend on their 4 year old dog if it was hurt and could be made good as new. Or would they cancel the family vacation or sell their favorite gun to fix their dog?? That will give you your answer.

Go read the "My cat got attacked on my front porch" thread seems to be an awful lot of folks agree with spending $1500 on "just" a cat. :-D

03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Do a poll on how much money, IF THEY HAD THE MONEY, someone would spend on their 4 year old dog if it was hurt and could be made good as new. Or would they cancel the family vacation or sell their favorite gun to fix their dog?? That will give you your answer.

Go read the "My cat got attacked on my front porch" thread seems to be an awful lot of folks agree with spending $1500 on "just" a cat. :-D

I am not looking for an "awnser" as i dont think i am asking a question. And the fixing up of the dog is not the only part of this debate. I am just having fun here talking dog on as broad a plane as i can.

I have no interests in cats,,,, When Ucluelet had the Tsunamie warning go and we all "Had to run for the hills" I left my cat at home and took the dog :twisted:

sky-gunner
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I posted this on the other thread, but if you have a large breed of dog, or you are worried about vet bills, there is a company that sells pet insurance that covers any and all vet costs for anything that can happen, from accidents to illneses. And it's $20-$30 a month depending on your deductible and size. It can turn a $5000 vet bill into $100. Premiums don't go up with age, and there is no maximum use. Just an option.

Kasomor
03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I am not looking for an "awnser" as i dont think i am asking a question. And the fixing up of the dog is not the only part of this debate. I am just having fun here talking dog on as broad a plane as i can.

I have no interests in cats,,,, When Ucluelet had the Tsunamie warning go and we all "Had to run for the hills" I left my cat at home and took the dog :twisted:

Ah...so you'd save the dog and not the cat? So I guess the pet parakeet is completely out of the debate. :-D

I put my kids in the same catagory....one of them is the "dog" and the other is the "cat." Just depends on which day it is who is who. :mrgreen:

Foxton Gundogs
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Have done even when the results were less than perfect and would do again without hesitation!! and I'm VERY OLD.....OOOPS I ment "old school" LOL

Iron Glove
03-31-2011, 11:36 AM
I posted this on the other thread, but if you have a large breed of dog, or you are worried about vet bills, there is a company that sells pet insurance that covers any and all vet costs for anything that can happen, from accidents to illneses. And it's $20-$30 a month depending on your deductible and size. It can turn a $5000 vet bill into $100. Premiums don't go up with age, and there is no maximum use. Just an option.

Be very careful if and when you buy Pet Insurance.
Read the coverages that are provided - they differ from Insurer to Insurer.
Different deductibles, different exclusions, co-insurance, limits, pre existing problems, congenital problems, etc.
Sorry, but there ain't no insurance out there that covers "any and all ....... for anything that can happen.."

Kayte
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
i absolutely swear by insurance.
my dog has racked up vet bills close to $20,000 and there's no way i'd ever be able to do that without insurance (my insurance covers 90% of everything). they've paid out no problem, and never asked questions. if, instead of getting insurance, i had put aside $100/mo in a "just in case" fund, it would have taken me more than 16 years to cover those bills. as it stands, my dog could live to be 20 years old, and my insurance company isn't going to make a penny off me!

03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Ah...so you'd save the dog and not the cat? So I guess the pet parakeet is completely out of the debate. :-D

:mrgreen:

I did feel bad after the fact! But it was quite a too doo and a funnier story.
But yes i would help my cat. Just not to the degree of my dog :icon_frow

Sorry cat people!

sky-gunner
03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Be very careful if and when you buy Pet Insurance.
Read the coverages that are provided - they differ from Insurer to Insurer.
Different deductibles, different exclusions, co-insurance, limits, pre existing problems, congenital problems, etc.
Sorry, but there ain't no insurance out there that covers "any and all ....... for anything that can
happen.."

Actually yea there is, the only exception is the pre existing ailments. But i think thats the same with any insurance for anything. you cant smash up your car, then go insure it and get it fixed. But that being said, this is just the company i go through. But im sure as you mentioned that different company's differ quite substantially. But my dog is coverd from everything from ilnesses, car accidents medication, sugery ect... The reason i opted for it is my dog is going to be in excess of 150lbs when he's grown. And the bigger the animal the higher the vet cost. Like i said it may not be for everyone, but its definitly an option.

Iron Glove
03-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Actually yea there is, the only exception is the pre existing ailments. But i think thats the same with any insurance for anything. you cant smash up your car, then go insure it and get it fixed. But that being said, this is just the company i go through. But im sure as you mentioned that different company's differ quite substantially. But my dog is coverd from everything from ilnesses, car accidents medication, sugery ect... The reason i opted for it is my dog is going to be in excess of 150lbs when he's grown. And the bigger the animal the higher the vet cost. Like i said it may not be for everyone, but its definitly an option.

It sounds like you have TruPlan or similiar, it seems to be one of the better plans.
But please read, and understand your coverages, there are limits, excusions, etc. that can come back to bite you.
I'm in the Insurance ( not Pet Insurance ) business and believe me, there ain't a policy out there that covers "everything".
And I do agree that Pet Insurance just might be a wise investment, we've certainly relied on ours at times. What Pet Insurance can do is provide the pet owner with an alternative to having to put the dog down because of cost.

sky-gunner
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I will have a read through, And exactly what you said, we got it to cover emergency cost in case the need should arise. And you guessed right trupanion. They were the best we could find for our needs and they cover hip dyplasia if you have your dog coverd since it was a pup. So for us it was the right choice. They cover our needs. But your right it's always a good idea to have a thorough look when signing anything :)

Kayte
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
And you guessed right trupanion. They were the best we could find for our needs and they cover hip dyplasia if you have your dog coverd since it was a pup. So for us it was the right choice. They cover our needs. But your right it's always a good idea to have a thorough look when signing anything :)
trupanion here as well. i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, they've saved my dogs life more than once!

Angus
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Re: Pet Insurance

Back in 1994 when I was just out of school and getting started with my career, I had the unfortunate circumstance of having to put down a young dog because I just couldn't afford the repair bill. It was one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make, and I still think back on it.

It took me 11 years to finally get another dog, and at that time I swore I would not let the same thing happen. So, I too opted for pet insurance.

In my mind, the purpose of the insurance is to take the cash consideration out of the decision making process when discussing treament options.

meat eater
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
well i guess im a rescuer/worker/justa dog!! kinda guy!!

04-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Wholly crap i got a star! This is the first thread that i did and someone gave me a star!
only one but hey.

So i guess the social i deals of dog people is out and insurance is in hey?

Lots'oLabs
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Wholly crap i got a star! This is the first thread that i did and someone gave me a star!
only one but hey.

So i guess the social i deals of dog people is out and insurance is in hey?

The social dynamics is way more interesting than pet insurance, which is also a good item for a future thread.

Have we all agreed that we can all play together in the same sandbox?:wink::wink:

farside
04-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Love my dogs and Love my cats. Did the "working dog". Loved that GSP to bits. Pure bred, wonderful disposition, smart as all get out. Died way way to young of liver failure. Also had an SPCA asshole at the same time who died of heart failure at 14yrs. Both of these had a price tag as to how far the vet bill goes. The GSP was OK to twice his purchase value at one go. He never cost more than a couple hundred at any one go as usually only stiches (many many many times). The SPCA Asshole had the same price tag but did not use a drop til shortly before he died.

Now I have 3 rescue types, 1 very very smart asshole (25lb), 1 very very smart and afraid of people (25lb), 1 dumb as a stump (10lb) but he is soo sweet. All have a price tag on them as to how far the vet bill will go. The price tag is reasonable to both me and my vet and that is all that matters. They are companions and good ones at that. Would dare a crackhead to try to break in or give me or my daughter grief. The "Asshole" comes by his name honestly.

Bottom line - they are indeed part of the family and loved dearly but they do have a price tag attached to them as far as a one shot vet bill goes.

04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thats just it, we all have our point of expense for a dog. And what may seem right to one may not be for another. We are entitled as owners to provide attention to our animals.
one person may spend hours training their dog while another spends weeks. one may pay for stitches but cant pay for a 3000 dollar operation. When we ask for help it is because we dont know what to do.

My cat,, the one i left to get hit by the tsunami in Ucluelet.
I came home after work and she was passed out in the hall. I had no car, I lived in Ukee and didnt need one. There is no vet in town. So i picked up a phone and started calling vets. Got through to one lady. She told me i HAD to bring her in. I tried to explain that i couldnt get there, it just wasnt going to happen. After a great arguement that left her in tears when i got mad i hung up. Called another vet. He said after i explained to him the trouble, that she probably had heat stroke and to take her into the tub and put her paws in cool water and gradually work her into a cool bath. This i did and it worked. Me, cat and wife had a nap on the bed and she was fine. The one vet went over board, out of my reach and if i listened to her my cat would be dead. the other vet helped me and now my cat is 10.

Im sure the first one knew alot, but she was so stuck in her opinion she was trying to make me do something impossible. For a problem the next guy fixed. I took my dog when i bought him to the second vet for three years, until i moved. He understood what he was there for.

Downtown
04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Many Dog Owners have simmilar traits like their Dogs and sometimes even start to look alike. We had Dogs for several decades and allways the same Breeds so we know what we are getting into with a new Puppy. Having a trained and experienced Hunting Dog available for difficult searches on woundet Big Game is the icing on the Cake.

Squamch
04-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I guess I'm a rescuer, I like dogs for the companionship first, and their working abilities second, be it hunting, packing, pulling, herding, guarding, and so on. I've never had a dog that racked up a massive vet bill, but my first cat had a potential bill of over $1500 for an operation, that would show what was wrong, and possibly cost a wack more to fix. I had her put down by a vet, because I couldn't afford the operation, not because she wasn't worth it to me. I'd spend as much as I could afford or as much as it took to fix an animal I'd taken responsibility for.

littleheelers
05-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Sorry for bumping this up. Hee, not sure where I fit in. Most of the dogs I liked are and were dingo-like in temperament; the type of dog that would revolt and leave its "owner" if it feels like it's being bossed around or treated too harshly. Otherwise they would listen and range in close if the dog feels like the human won its respect. Some people say I have the "touch" for primitive dogs.

Dunno, I shy away from breeds people feel the need to command or boss around (ie. labs and pointers); but I abhor the dogs that are spoiled brats. I also don't see the point of brooding over animals, demanding affections and emotional support either. However I do think one need to share as much activities together as possible.

I would call myself the "observer," I suppose.

goatdancer
06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
You forgot 1 category. The type that lets their dog out to go crap on their neighbour's lawn. :evil::evil::evil:

06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
You forgot 1 category. The type that lets their dog out to go crap on their neighbour's lawn. :evil::evil::evil:

I think that falls into "its just a dog" the other ones wouldnt let their doge run! :)

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Many Dog Owners have simmilar traits like their Dogs and sometimes even start to look alike
I would say I am like my Greyhound. When outside he has lots of energy runs around and chases things, when he is inside he is a unmovable lump on the sofa.

When I am outside I run around (with the kids) chase things (the kids) and when I am inside I am a unmovable lump on the sofa :)

but the look alike part isn't true. as he gets older he stays big and skinny as I get older I get fatter :P

Barracuda
06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Sorry for bumping this up. Hee, not sure where I fit in. Most of the dogs I liked are and were dingo-like in temperament; the type of dog that would revolt and leave its "owner" if it feels like it's being bossed around or treated too harshly. Otherwise they would listen and range in close if the dog feels like the human won its respect. Some people say I have the "touch" for primitive dogs.

Dunno, I shy away from breeds people feel the need to command or boss around (ie. labs and pointers); but I abhor the dogs that are spoiled brats. I also don't see the point of brooding over animals, demanding affections and emotional support either. However I do think one need to share as much activities together as possible.

I would call myself the "observer," I suppose.

you dont sound like a fit dog owner. are you sure your not a troll ?

Dingo LOL!!

littleheelers
06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
you dont sound like a fit dog owner. are you sure your not a troll ?

Dingo LOL!!

Bad dog owners? Unless one is accusing another of neglect, most of the problems with dogs and their owners are mismatch in personality. I never got why harsh people get soft breeds, and gentle people get hardheaded dogs; or why clingy people get independent thinkers and distinct folks obtain attention-seekers, then complain about it.

On the contrary, it's breed-dependent. It's well-documented Nordic spitzes and East Asian spitzes don't respond well to corrections or Westernized regimented training. Coddling them like a child results in a dog that never listen; however they respond well once things are put int context. This is what I meant by "dingo-like."

Ever notice people who own working collies and golden retrievers train their dogs differently from those who own.labs and Australian shepherds? It's not they do different jobs, but rather those dogs fit the personality and methods of the owners.

It's like a friend said: you command a lab, you negogiate with a chessie, and you ask a golden. Considering the temperaments of the three independent, yet similar, breeds, I have to agree with his assessment.

For me, I like dogs that I know I cannot be angry with, has an intelligence which forces me to be creative in my methodology, and read my body language. So "observer" fits.

Troll? Unless you want to call me a Finn (wannabe), then I am okay with that.

GoatGuy
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Bad dog owners? Unless one is accusing another of neglect, most of the problems with dogs and their owners are mismatch in personality. I never got why harsh people get soft breeds, and gentle people get hardheaded dogs; or why clingy people get independent thinkers and distinct folks obtain attention-seekers, then complain about it.

On the contrary, it's breed-dependent. It's well-documented Nordic spitzes and East Asian spitzes don't respond well to corrections or Westernized regimented training. Coddling them like a child results in a dog that never listen; however they respond well once things are put int context. This is what I meant by "dingo-like."

Ever notice people who own working collies and golden retrievers train their dogs differently from those who own.labs and Australian shepherds? It's not they do different jobs, but rather those dogs fit the personality and methods of the owners.

It's like a friend said: you command a lab, you negogiate with a chessie, and you ask a golden. Considering the temperaments of the three independent, yet similar, breeds, I have to agree with his assessment.

For me, I like dogs that I know I cannot be angry with, has an intelligence which forces me to be creative in my methodology, and read my body language. So "observer" fits.

Troll? Unless you want to call me a Finn (wannabe), then I am okay with that.

There's plenty of dog owners that would end up with completely useless dogs regardless of breed.

The problem with all pets, dogs and horses in particular, is the owners. Just like kids, there are plenty of people who should never own a pet.