PDA

View Full Version : Wolves, snowshoe hares in 5-02?

Rhys
07-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Well We are going for a summer camping trip up to our hunting area Just east of Lac La hache in a few weeks. From what I remeber the only thing open then is Snowshoe hares and I think possibly wolves.

Anyone know what the population of wolves is like up there?

I might set myself up a small treestand and try to call some in with my predator call.

Any advice? I have a feling I might just get some curious bears or coyote's coming for a peek, I heard wolves are pretty wary.

Also where is the best places to find Hares? I shot a few last winter on our deer hunt and they tasted great, havnt seen too many in the summer though.

Rhys

LeverActionJunkie
07-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Father in-law used to be a CO in Clinton and he still hangs out with his old co-workers. I'm not 100% for the Lac LaHache area but Wolves are moving in around Clinton quite a bit. Some friends shot one in their field this winter where not even tracks have been seen for a long while, also me and a buddy saw a couple in the 70mile area at christmas but couldn't get a shot.

Barracuda
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Best 12 bucks you ever spent:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rhys
07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
You got it! I love that thing, I do it in the house all the time, it annoys Rebecca though so I have to do it when she is not home!

Rhys

boonerbuck
07-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Wolves are now closed until Sept.

They are not as hard as people think to call in. It's just a matter of getting within their hearing range. Coyotes are easier because they have a much smaller range and denser population.

I was hunting wolves and yotes in the Maze Lake area nera Lac Le Hache this late winter. Wolves are definitely there. I cut a set of tracks.

You like pred hunting? Check out this site. Slow now but pretty busy during Pred season.

http://doomedyote.vf11.com/index.php?sid=85eadcf4c37240fbfb79fe2e5e680d3d

Jelvis
07-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Is the dieing rabbit squeel, still popular with the pred hunter?

Rhys
07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
[quote=boonerbuck]Wolves are now closed until Sept.

Damn I was reading the regs wrong, the first entry for Wolves in the 2005-2006 Synopsis on page 60 says "Aug 1- Mar31/2006"

It was a little confusing for me.

Well looks likemy only option is snowshoe hare!

Thanks for the info guys.
Rhys

boonerbuck
07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
I actually havent looked at the regs. Aug 1 maybe.

Jelvis,

rabbit distress is still the staple call for preds.

PGKris
07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
rabbit distress is still the staple call for preds.

It sure is :rolleyes: Might want to look into a howler though. Some of us don't use bunny calls much anymore. Too many guys out there pounding on bunny screamers :wink: