PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Pass Info?

TommyGuitar
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some info on the Jumbo pass, as I am in the early stages of planning a summer alpine camping trip on 2 CT90s with my girlfriend and me. I want the trip to be 2-3 days of nice views, and hopefully some good fishing.

Wondering if anybody here has been up the Jumbo pass, and do you think that 2 CT90s would be able to make it over? I'm thinking the trip will be a several day trip from Trout Lake all the way up to near Panorama. My reasoning for taking this trip on CT90s is that it would have minimal environmental impact, and the bikes are slow/quiet so we really get to enjoy the view. I also just plain like the small Hondas and always wanted to do a trip with one.

Let me know if this is a good idea or bad idea. If you don't think it's a good idea, please, can you suggest another zone that might provide some nice high up alpine views with fishing?

Thanks guys,
Tom

gwillim
03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi TG, not really sure what a CT90 is, but it might be a little tough to get a bike up the west side of the Jumbo Pass trail. There are a few steep, narrow sections that may be difficult to negotiate, especially if you are loaded down with gear. The only time I was up the east kootenay side there was a bridge out which meant a deep wade through Jumbo creek. That was a few years ago now, so who knows what might have changed. Also, there are some shallow tarns at the pass, but nothing with fish in it.

That said, it is an incredible area, and well worth a visit. Last time I was there, my wife and I climbed Mt Bastille (to the south of the pass). Amazing views in every direction. Monica meadows is also a "must see". Especially nice in the Fall when the larch have turned.

TommyGuitar
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi TG, not really sure what a CT90 is, but it might be a little tough to get a bike up the west side of the Jumbo Pass trail. There are a few steep, narrow sections that may be difficult to negotiate, especially if you are loaded down with gear. The only time I was up the east kootenay side there was a bridge out which meant a deep wade through Jumbo creek. That was a few years ago now, so who knows what might have changed. Also, there are some shallow tarns at the pass, but nothing with fish in it.

That said, it is an incredible area, and well worth a visit. Last time I was there, my wife and I climbed Mt Bastille (to the south of the pass). Amazing views in every direction. Monica meadows is also a "must see". Especially nice in the Fall when the larch have turned.
Thanks for the tips Gwillim! http://www.cttrailbikes.com/IMG_1438_op_800x600.jpg
This is a CT90. It has a low range gear that provides a hi-torque crawl, which I was hoping would be able to make it over Jumbo.

Does anybody else have any input?
Tom

bayou
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
If your not planning on staying on a road etc you may want to check out page 12 of the hunting regs.
Number 2 under access restrictions(forest and range practices act) may come into play.

TommyGuitar
03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks Bayou! Have you been up the trail?

Ubertuber
03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
We hiked it last summer. I suppose you could try to take a motorbike over the pass, but I wouldn't do it. You'll chew up the trail no matter how hard you try not to. I didn't notice any restriction signs, but I suspect it's for hiking only... I could be wrong. The other hikers may throw rocks at you.:shock:
There are several old mineral exploration roads/trails in the area that will get you up into the alpine, you'll just have to squint when you use Google Earth.

gwillim
03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey TG if you are up trout lake, you could take your bikes up any number of old and new roads on the east side of the lake. There is a ridge traverse called Silvercup Ridge from one end of the lake to the other. Most of it is old mining road/trails, with some route finding over the meadows. Very nice views of the surrounding mountains. Only down-side is the mess quads have made of some of the seepage meadows. Another option you would have is driving up the Poplar creek road. The road is often closed due to ravel, but you could lift those light bikes over the debris and keep going! Big amazing basin at the back end. I've seen caribou, grizzlies, wolverine and Fisher back there.

Clint_S
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Healy is gorgeous at the top also and it's a short hike into Blue lake at the end of Cascade creek. Lots of beauty country and lots of slides to glass for Gbears.