PDA

View Full Version : Upper prophet river runway outta comission

Darksith
03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I heard that the runway in the upper prophet river area has been taken out of action by someone/something. Not wanting to start that debate of he said she said he did it, does anyone know if there is any truth to this and whether or not a chartered plane is still able to land?

bridger
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
are you referring to the one a the outfitter camp just above the falls or the one about five miles further up the river?

Darksith
03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
not sure, I just want to get as far up the prophet as possible, that seems like it would be a wise decision? Is the outfitters camp the farm I see just off the highway before the river turns from south to west?

bridger
03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
there is no farm anyway near the head of the prophet the head of the prophet is about a four day horse trip from the highway. as far as i know the strip wa good athough someone dropped salt on the runway and turned a bunch of horses loose up there all summer so who knows now. the strip at the outfitters camp is good. perhaps you could get a charter company to drop you off there.

elkdom
03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
when using the services of a bush pilot?, the BUSH pilot will have experience, and the information and the locations of safe landing areas,

no PILOT risks their life, their clients' lives, and their airplane on second hand information and hearsay,

YOU inquire about the area with the Charter pilot, HE will determine if it's do-able!,,, simple as that!

Devilbear
03-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Good point, I always just trust the pilot and concern myself with what I have some little skill/experience at, setting up camp and wilderness living and then hunting my butt off.

I would really hate to think that anyone would, in any respect, alter or damage a useable airstrip in an area where it could save the lives of other humans in an emergency landing scenario. Any such behaviour should be harshly punished, loss of lifetime resident or guiding privileges, major fines and confiscation of all gear with no return ever.

While we residents and the GOs may differ on many issues, I would instantly stop my hunt and go to the aid of any GO, his employee(s) and/or clients, should I encounter them in a bush emergency and I like to think that they would do so, for we residents as well. I was taught, over 50 years ago, that you ALWAYS helped others in the bush, even those whom you may dislike and that was among the most important aspects of any real bushman.

Shade Tree
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I would like to know if that's true...Villier's would know. There is a good strip at the G.O. camp and I have seen residents dropped off there. That is about two miles down river.

srupp
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
wow ..some horses feeding on any runway may make that a really iffy proposition to land..seen what 3 horses did to a trail....far worse than 3 years of atv's...

steven

Darksith
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
when landing at the strip at the GO's, do you hike out from there or simply make camp there? Is it close to the river? As much as I think I have the right to hunt anywhere in this province, I still wouldn't wanna setup camp right beside the GO's, thats just plain silly. That being said I was kinda thinking that where ever we get dropped off is where our base camp would be, but I never really thought it would be an air strip, was more thinking that a float plane would land in the water or something, but I guess I should just contact the pilot and go from there.

Thanks

bridger
03-28-2011, 06:03 PM
wow ..some horses feeding on any runway may make that a really iffy proposition to land..seen what 3 horses did to a trail....far worse than 3 years of atv's...

steven

bullshit srupp

bridger
03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
when landing at the strip at the GO's, do you hike out from there or simply make camp there? Is it close to the river? As much as I think I have the right to hunt anywhere in this province, I still wouldn't wanna setup camp right beside the GO's, thats just plain silly. That being said I was kinda thinking that where ever we get dropped off is where our base camp would be, but I never really thought it would be an air strip, was more thinking that a float plane would land in the water or something, but I guess I should just contact the pilot and go from there.

Thanks
can't land on the water at the head of the prophet unfortunately. if you are thinking of hunting sheep be prepared to spike camp several miles from the air strip. i really think the strip up further is in good repair, but villers in fort nelson would know. not sure if they would fly you in there tho.

Everett
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
bullshit srupp

Sorry Bridger but Steven is right. I have built and maintained alot of mountain bike trails and there is few things that will destroy a trail quicker than horses. AtVs are hard on trails as well but horses are worse hands down. If the conditions are dry horses are not that bad but the minute things get wet they will destroy a trail very fast. Thats from the position of the guy who fixes the mess.

goatdancer
03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry Bridger but Steven is right. I have built and maintained alot of mountain bike trails and there is few things that will destroy a trail quicker than horses. AtVs are hard on trails as well but horses are worse hands down. If the conditions are dry horses are not that bad but the minute things get wet they will destroy a trail very fast. Thats from the position of the guy who fixes the mess.

Hate to tell you but mountain bikes are no screaming hell on trails either. It has to do with the fooprint. ATVs driven responsibly will do less damage than mountain bikes.

Everett
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Hate to tell you but mountain bikes are no screaming hell on trails either. It has to do with the fooprint. ATVs driven responsibly will do less damage than mountain bikes.

You obviously don't do alot of trail work bikes leave the second least footprint on trails after foot traffic, dirt bikes are next followed by distantly by ATVs and Horses. Thats from fixing and building hundreds of km of trail. ATVs driven responsibly are as you say pretty easy on wide trails regretfully very few people ride them responsibly. Its amazing what a couple ATV riders will do to a nice singletrack bike trail.

Darksith
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
I have called villiers and they are hesitant to fly me in there, and they did mention that someone put salt down on one of the runways and left the horses there for a while. I wonder who did that? Definately wouldn't be some texan that has a business in the area...anyway moving on. Villiers said they would talk to the owner of the company, and he would make some calls and see if they can politely and politically get me in there, but that the GO was a valued customer of theirs so they must tread lightly. That being said, are there any other charter companies in the area (ft st john maybe?) that aren't worried about some texan thinking he owns the entire place? Im looking to hunt elk/moose more than sheep or goat so how far would I need to pitch camp from the upper runway? I see on google earth there are some small lakes in that valley, but how small are they, and can a float plane land there? I'll continue to look for air charters that can get me in there, if not then I guess I'll have to choose another location, would you point me to the headwaters of the muskwa or the tuchodi?

KB90
03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
You can measure lakes on google earth with the little ruler to give you an idea if a plane could land there. But of course there are other factors.

BCrams
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
North Caribou Air in Ft St John is one to give a call to as they have also flown in there.

bridger
03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
the lakes up at the head of the prophet are small not suitable for landing. the one is so shallow you can walk across it. you cn hunt moose and elk right from the upper strip. villers has a charter and cannot refuse to fly you in there because the outfitter won't like it not many lakes you can fly into on the east slope of 7b. there is a strip at the head of the halfway that you ccan land a wheel plane on. good moose right around the strip, marginal elk, but the last time i was in there some guys from prince flew in and killed a 380 bull while camped at the strip. access is an issue in 7b most guys fly into the scoop lake area out of muncho with liard air.

srupp
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
sorry Bridger but in this case you are incorrect...I watched over 4 days what 4 horses did to TRAIL...it was wet and the horses tore it up so badly it was difficult walking in the trail...horses that weighed ?/1200 pounds each?? plus tack and rider..4 feet hitting the trail...versus ATV 10 #s of air pressure on 300 pound machine..

Not bullshit...first hand account of what I indeed experienced...in some places where the horses struggled with the steepness and the rocks...cant imagine what a years worth of rain will now do to that trail...

steven

Fisher-Dude
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
not sure, I just want to get as far up the prophet as possible, that seems like it would be a wise decision? Is the outfitters camp the farm I see just off the highway before the river turns from south to west?

There is/was a strip at the Besa/Prophet junction, which may be what you're seeing. Not sure what shape it's in now, but resident hunter friends tell me they landed there and rafted out about 5 - 6 years ago.

bridger
03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
There is/was a strip at the Besa/Prophet junction, which may be what you're seeing. Not sure what shape it's in now, but resident hunter friends tell me they landed there and rafted out about 5 - 6 years ago.

fd that strip is still there but is a long long way from the head of the prophet. it is right on the edge of the mountains and while u can and there and float down the prophet to the camp ground at mile 222 it is not to exciting as the river wanders through miles of muskeg and no mtns. good elk hunting tho.

bridger
03-29-2011, 10:03 PM
sorry Bridger but in this case you are incorrect...I watched over 4 days what 4 horses did to TRAIL...it was wet and the horses tore it up so badly it was difficult walking in the trail...horses that weighed ?/1200 pounds each?? plus tack and rider..4 feet hitting the trail...versus ATV 10 #s of air pressure on 300 pound machine..

Not bullshit...first hand account of what I indeed experienced...in some places where the horses struggled with the steepness and the rocks...cant imagine what a years worth of rain will now do to that trail...

steven

no disrespect steven but observations made on one trip into the mk doesn't give you a lot of background or knowledge of the overall picture. there is a reason quads are not allowed into the alpine ( i own four of them) and that reason is evironmental damage. horse trails are really no different than moose or elk trails for the most part.

luckynuts
03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
no disrespect steven but observations made on one trip into the mk doesn't give you a lot of background or knowledge of the overall picture. there is a reason quads are not allowed into the alpine ( i own four of them) and that reason is evironmental damage. horse trails are really no different than moose or elk trails for the most part.

A prime example of this is the Christina lake falls trail. With all the ATV traffic it is now 80' wide in some places as the riders had to cut new trails around the mud holes and the mud holes are well let's just say you better have a tall snorkel on your bike. Though any animal like a horse, cow left in one spot to graze long enough can totally ruin an area where vegetation won't even grow back. Another prime example is the Bison in the Sikanni.

W.

srupp
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
hmmm thanks Bridger..havnt honestly seen many alpine atv damaged areas..but most of mine have been fly ins, and yes you are correct..limited acces to use of horses..does not make me an expert...and yes again on MUSKWA /TUCHODI...it was horses and wet and steep..pretty sure quads couldnt get in there however the trail was in pretty good condidtion and holy henpeckers was it cut to %$^%%% deep and torn up by one group with 4 horses...hardly passable by hikers..I ride a quad and most are on lowere elevation trails...Im sure there are those that do tear up the alpine with knobby tires and full blown speed...

steven

northernhunter
03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
I know peter pretty good with villers, and have flown with him several times. He flies pretty much for the outfitters up here, but will also fly residents in to. You may want to consider flying into kluachesi with him, you can walk over into the gathto drainage in about 4 hours and be into sheep and good elk. I flew into the lower prairie camp on the gathto a few years ago and had real good hunting, however you can't get in there either anymore with a plane big enough for more than one person. The horses had alot of salt to play with on that strip also.

snowhunter
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Once, "someone" closed the runway at Kluachesi Lake by blocking the runway with canoes, and after a visit by law enforcement officers, this public runway on Crown Land was again open to independent hunters, who also had chosen to use of an aircraft that could operate from dry land, using wheels.

Part of this, forever ongoing wildernes soap opera, involving $$$ from hunters :)

This "someone" was not named Alex.

Cub Driver
03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Commercial operators have not been using the upper Prophet strip for numerous years. There was a salt block dropped at the camping spot last year which attracked the guides horses to the strip, which would have been placed their by the guides wranglers. The upper 1/3 of the strip is not usable do to growth of brush, and there is a wash accross the strip about 1/3 up from the lower end. Best bet is to use the guides strip at head camp about 4 miles down river. This strip can be used by anyone as outfitters do not have exclusive rights. Charter companies like Villars are reluctant as they do charter work for the guides. However, Villars has flown residents into Richards Creek which has the same guide. You could check with Larry Moody out of Dawson Creek as he quite often flies residents out of the mile 220 strip to various locations. The paker on the prophet has been flying into a location a few miles above where the Besa enters the Prophet.

BCrams
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Interesting regarding airstrip usage. Its (was) a great place to drop residents as between there and Sandbar it offers some really good sheep hunting. I suppose another couple hours hike wouldn't hurt from the main strip. Better hunting from the upper strip than there is from Richards although the Rich area has produced good sheep.

just hunt
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Im just curious about landing at the guides camp have heard of Barry kicking guys off his strip and was wonder if this happens on the prophet too.

just hunt
01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Anybody now why?

ryanb
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Barry owns the airstrip on the muskwa, it's deeded land. Hence, he has every right. The prophet is a different outfitter.

Ry151
02-01-2013, 09:54 PM
another option is to call helicotper companys in the area as well for info. They usually use old strips for fuel cashes and are able to inform you to the condition of the strip.

just hunt
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Ryanb thanks but i now its different outfitter . Deeded land makes sense.
ry151 great info thank you