PDA

View Full Version : Backroad maps on GPS

Shooter
03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok so I am looking at buying the backroad set-up for my GPS, but not sure which to buy. I was wondering what you guys are using. I see that they have the Digital maps that can be loaded onto the GPS and also Google Earth etc. And then they also have the Backroad GPS maps. What is the difference between the 2? The digital maps are a little cheaper than the GPS maps but they can both go on to your GPS.... I am confused.

If you get the strictly GPS maps can you not load it onto the computer? If you can do everything that the GPS maps can do plus more with the Digital maps then why is it cheaper? I don't want to buy it and then figure out it doesn't do what I thought it would do.

BTW this is all with Backroad Mapbook software not topo Canada or anything. Same manufacturer.

randymac
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
the digital maps won't load into a gps, they will run on a laptop as a gps with software such as oziexplorer though if you have a built in gps or a gps module plugged into the laptop. You can also print them out with a printer or larger if you have a plotter or large format printer

Steeleco
03-27-2011, 03:55 PM
If you buy the DVD copy their website says you can load it to a Micro SD card and then load it into any Garmin GPS. I was just recently playing with a pre-programed Micor SD loaded with their maps. I'd buy the DVD if I were in the market.

Buck
03-27-2011, 04:08 PM
If you buy the DVD copy their website says you can load it to a Micro SD card and then load it into any Garmin GPS. I was just recently playing with a pre-programed Micor SD loaded with their maps. I'd buy the DVD if I were in the market.

If you have the DVD you can only download to one GPS i believe.I just bought the Micro SD card on Friday and downloaded the maps to my computer and can now put the chip in any GPS that has a slot.

Shooter
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
If you have the DVD you can only download to one GPS i believe.I just bought the Micro SD card on Friday and downloaded the maps to my computer and can now put the chip in any GPS that has a slot.

With a little more digging thats what I came up with also. If you buy the GPS version already on a MicroSd card then you can swap between Garmin GPS units. I gues that makes it worth the extra 20 bucks. Does anyone know if you can use the GPS version with google earth? Not sure how that would work cus I don't really know how to use the GPS yet, but would be cool if you could load a Google earth map onto the GPS unit and then run the backroads map with it?

Buck
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I haven't got that far with it yet.I have checked things out with Basecamp and it is a neat program.Hopefully one of the Tech Guru's on here will have a workshop i would be very interested.

Jagermeister
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Personally, I think that the BackRoad GPS maps are way too expensive.
I use TOPO Canada ver.2 and for all intents and purposes, it works just fine.
It does not show all the new roads, but then, who really needs them. If I have a want to know
the lay of the land, I just source it on Google Earth. From my Garmin GPS' , I can lay down a track to Google
Earth.
One thing you should be aware of if you purchase a new Garmin and you have an existing TOPO Canada mapsource, do not install
the new Trip and Waypoint manager onto the computer. It will overwrite your existing mapping program. I spent nearly two hours
with the techie at Garmin straightening the mess out. I had to give him access to my computer so this could be achieved. The techie, Doug,
was very helpful and did a fine and complete job. To make sure you have the correct drivers, update your version of TOPO Canada on
a frequent basis. Then when you plug in your new GPS, all will work well.

Shooter
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Region 1 backroads GPS is only $69. I really only need region 1 now anyways and I don't think thats too bad of a price. I did install the new trip and waypoint manager on the computer but haven't played with it much yet. I didn't have any other software on my PC yet anyways so I guess it is no problem? I am not even really sure what the trip and waypoint manager is good for? What use do you guys have for it?

Singleshotneeded
03-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I use Topo Canada in my Garmin GPS and compare it to my Backroads Mapbook, sometimes one has a info on it that the other doesn't...

BiG Boar
03-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Get the chip. I cheaper out last year and used topo with my GPS. After many recommendations I finally bought the BRM version and it is well worth it. It's as good as their actual books and then some. Very handy.

Arsie
05-15-2011, 12:04 AM
question, does any of you really have a clue of what you speak..I have more that one gps and dont think I should have to buy more than one copy..NOW what version do you buy

Slinky Pickle
05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
question, does any of you really have a clue of what you speak..

Well I can't think of a better opening line if you're looking for help. Good luck with that.

Legi0n
05-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Shooter, at backroadmapbooks.com the only version that's ready to install on the GPS is the Backroad GPS Maps. The digital ones are for computers.
There is also a very good Topo alternative that's said to be better than Canada Topo: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

Legi0n
05-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Arsie, I know it can seem confusing and some posts are not really answering the original question.

If you buy maps from Garmin they are registered on one GPS only. With the exception of Topo Canda which comes unlocked and can be "shared".

See my previous post about the version.

The Hermit
05-15-2011, 10:43 AM
VantagePoint Outfitters is a Backroads Mapbook Dealer and will offer 10% off to HBC'ers.

NOTE: I have not used the product yet and don't know much about it so if you buy from me keep that in mind and know what you want before ordering. I am placing an order for myself tomorrow as I just bought a new Garmin GPS for the truck...

Cheers.